The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    @jess
      • Total Posts: 575

@the-bean, yes, I would say a lot of writers are introverts.

@anne-of-lothlorien
      , Yes, I do that a lot! I’ll just take a few aspects (or maybe their looks) from someone I know and add a few quirks so it doesn’t look intentional. 😉 I’ve modeled a few characters after myself, and that always ends up interesting. 😛

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien
        • Total Posts: 440

@the-bean Um, maybe, if I knew what an introvert was? Does it have something to do with MBTI personalities?

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

The Bean
        @the-bean
          • Total Posts: 65

Intoversion/extraversion is merely a question of where your brain is at rest. Introverts tend to be calm, reserved, thinkers and their brain is at rest when they spend time with a few chosen friends or alone, whence the confusion people have between introversion and timidity. They dream vividly and have a tendency to have overactive imaginations. They prefer communicating their feelings through writing. Extraverts, on the other side, represent the ideal in our culture. Outgoing and friendly, they thrive in environments of high stimulation. An odeal weekend to them consists of seeing lots of new friends, lots of small talk, and meeting many new people. They tend to be risk takers and have no trouble socializing and extending their comfort zone. They are often eloquent and share their feelings easily tgrough speach.
          Some people think the difference is genetic, but no-one knows for sure how much of it is learned or genetic.
          So these are the major general differences between the two personality types.

@anne-of-lothlorien

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@The-Bean according to my observations, yes. But I don’t think it necessarily follows that one must be an introvert to be a writer. Introverts simply come to that more naturally. It’s a ‘safer’ way for them to make their voice heard.

@Anne-of-Lothlorien
            no, I don’t think I’ve ever based a character off a family member or someone I know. Just never really thought to, I guess.

Anne of Lothlorien
            @anne-of-lothlorien

@the-bean So yah, I’m probably an introvert.

My family just arrived, so adios.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Anna Brie
              @anna-brie
                • Total Posts: 312

@anne-of-lothlorien, yep, I do that. In my current book my MC has a 15 y-old brother who’s an inventor and explorer. He’s not intentionally based off my brothers who are around that age, but there are some strong similarities. Probably less personality wise than in other things, since my brothers are different form each other in that.

@the-bean
                Introversion vs. extroversion is a bit more complex than that. Some extroverts don’t like small talk and they can actually be shy. Some introverts are actually great at talking to people, but are exhausted later because of it. I used to think I was an introvert, but now I suspect I’m a shy extrovert. I need interaction with the outside world, but the ideas of other even more than social interaction. I’m terrible at small talk, but love deep philosophical discussions. And group games, but that’s another thing.
                And I have never heard of a connection between introverts, vivid imaginations, and dreams.

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  • Total Posts: 3515

@kate-flournoy I know that you’re not exaggerating. I have just as many ideas or more.

@anne-of-lothlorien
                  I would jump the fence, but hope NOT to get a broken arm. I’d do it for the exhileration. (Ah, what am I saying. I’m a dragon, I’ll just fly over the fence.)
                  I have based a character off of someone before… but that’s another long story. 😛 Actually, most of my characters have at least one characteristics or traits of my own so that I can relate to them. Plus, as mentioned, I write in first person, which makes it even easier.

@the-bean
                  300 posts! Yes! *talon pump* (dragon equivalent of fist pump) I’m actually more extrovert than anything else.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

The Bean
                  @the-bean

I know, @kate-flournoy. I was talking proportionwise. I know a lot of extraverted writers, but they seem to be in the minority.

@anna-brie
                    I know. I’ve studied psychology a lot and read a ton of books and did a ton of research on extraversion/introversion. I didn’t really know how to condense all that information into one explanatory comment. I guess I did quite poorly, but I tried to use the words “tend to” or “often” as often as possible, as I know that there are always exceptions. What I wrote were the generally accepted definitions of the two personality types.

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@anne-of-lothlorien It’s the best kind of blackmail, telling your siblings when they’re being annoying that you’re going to base a villain off of them… though I think they’re on to me now, since I haven’t ever actually done it. 🙂

@jess
                      I accidentally wrote myself into my main character, but didn’t realize it until about three days ago when my sister pointed it out. It’s the weirdest thing. It’s like going your whole life thinking your eyes are brown and then suddenly learning they’re blue.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Rosey Mucklestone
                      @writefury
                        • Total Posts: 467

@anne-of-lothlorien- I HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE I BASE/WANT TO BASE CHARACTERS OFF OF

So many. I can never use them all. -dies dramatically-

Like… all my siblings. And a few particular friends. And my dad. Just everyone is so interesting.

Anne of Lothlorien
                        @anne-of-lothlorien

@writefury Hmmm, I must not have very interesting people in my family. I’m not dying to put anyone else but Hans in.

@the-bean
                          Sooooo, I made a mistake. Apparantly I am an extrovert cause I’m ENFP, but I really think I’m half and half. I’m not THAT outgoing.

The Bean
                          @the-bean

@anne-of-lothlorien replacing the “E” by an “A” (for Ambivert) is generally accepted, though that possibility does not exist on online personality tests.

Anne of Lothlorien
                            @anne-of-lothlorien

Could someone please tell me what ‘shipping’ characters is? I’ve heard about it on @writefury’s blog and you write fiction website, but I have no idea what it is. Is it just really liking them or something?

@hope
                              @daeus @writefury @kate-flournoy

Mark Kamibaya
                              @mark-kamibaya
                                • Total Posts: 318

@anne-of-lothlorien From Google: Support or have a particular interest in a romantic pairing between two characters in a fictional series, often when this relationship is one portrayed by fans rather than depicted in the series itself.
                                “I’m still shipping for Edward/Hermione”

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Anne of Lothlorien
                                @anne-of-lothlorien

Who are Edward/Hermione?

So like, I’m shipping for Caroline/Dwight from Poldark on PBS? Do you watch that?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >