The Mind of a Writer

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions The Mind of a Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

@Hope aha, so I’m not the only one who freaks out at being the only adult in creaky houses at night… XD
      Actually sometimes I freak myself out on purpose just for the experience. Like, walking home in the dark. I KNOW if I start thinking about freaky things I’m going to freak out, but I do it anyway. *shrug* What’s life without a little imagination? 😛

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Kate Flournoy.
      Jess
      @jess
        • Total Posts: 575

@Ethryndal, Yes, I do that. I don’t like experiencing feelings, (INTJ here) so I’ll just hand it off to one of my characters. It makes them quite realistic. 😉

@Kate-Flournoy
        , I freak myself out on purpose all the time. My imagination is going to be the death of me, I’m sure.

Hope Ann
        @hope
          • Total Posts: 1092

@Kate-Flournoy I don’t freak out anymore. That was just the first time.

And yes to scaring yourself at night… Like going downstairs in the dark and then thinking about a hand reaching out of the shadows… *shudders*

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Ethryndal
          @ethryndal
            • Total Posts: 1013

@kate-flournoy It’s a lonely life we unicorns live….though it is fun telling people that only 0.5% of the population have my personality type. 🙂

@sleepwalkingmk
            Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who has sarcastic character scape-goats. 🙂 Writing is a pretty handy thing for coping though. When a lot of things are happening in my life (and some of them not as pretty and shiny as I would like them to be) it’s nice to be able to escape to another world, even for fifteen minutes, where my problems don’t exist, and what problems do exist, I can control. I’m a bit of a control freak. Don’t judge. 🙂

@the-bean
            So…you’re a Gollum/Smeagol! Fun fun!

@hope
            @kate-flournoy @jess I can honestly say I have never scared myself on purpose, though next time my characters need to be scared out of their wits, I might try… When I hear a creaking board at night, instead of assuming someone’s there, I always flip out because I think someone left the window open and my cat’s going to fall out…I’m a little paranoid in that respect…

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

What do you all do when you get a new story idea? Or an addition to your story that you think will be awesome! Do you sit at your computer for endless hours, or do you brainstorm on it? Do you jump up and down and shout it on the mountaintops (by that, I mean, tell your siblings how awesome it will be) or do you sit quietly and do an evil chuckle (I’m looking at you, @hope )

I, for one, tend to tell my sibling everything, then, because for some reason when I talk I find more ideas, I get even more ideas, and then before I know it, I’ve taken an hour of their time. 😛 Then, I have to find tie to write it all down before I forget. Ah, the joys of forming another book. 🙂

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

@dragon-snapper I grin to myself for the next half of a day, generally. And bounce up and down when I am on my own. To the others I may mention I got a grand idea which is going to be really cool, but since they don’t know the background of my stories, an explanation generally falls flat, if I try at all.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya
                  • Total Posts: 318

@dragon-snapper I jump up and down and either (1) write it down or (2) tell someone or (3) do both.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien
                    • Total Posts: 440

@ethryndal I just realized that when you said it. One day I was pretty mad at things that had prevented things that I’d wanted to do (like go to the library and read outside and talk to my friend) and that day I wrote the angriest conversation I’ve ever had in a book.

@kate-flournoy
                    @hope – I purposefully creep myself out sometimes. @hope if you are ever at our church alone, or just with a few other people, it is REALLY scary! There are literally noises like someone shut a door, or is walking up the stairs. I went to the basement one day when I was there with my dad alone, and I walked slowly down the dark hallway with all the open doors. I literally freaked out and bolted for the stairs after I imagined a wasted hand reaching out and grabbing my leg, and then a flying bat thing diving for me.

@dragon-snapper
                    – Since I normally get my story ideas after looking at @hope’s pinterest page, I generally grab a piece of paper and scribble it down. When I get home I gleefully file it with all the other twelve-dozen ideas and grin for hours after that.

For those who haven’t noticed, my new profile pic is me. I am very proud of that picture. It probably flatter me too much. I’m not that pretty normally. Though @corissa-maiden-of-praise disagrees. The closest thing we ever had to an argument (and it was texting so it doesn’t count) was her insisting I was pretty and I insisting I wasn’t.
                    But the other day I went to Corissa’s house and we dressed up (think cloak and medieval dresses not ballerinas and princesses) and took pictures outside. Her new profile picture is the best one we took of her. Maybe she can post some of the pictures we took on here somewhere. She’ll be the dark haired one in black clothing and I’ll be the one with brownishhairthatsheinsistsisslightlyreddish in the cloak and purple dress.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 1352
                      Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@Dragon-Snapper um… keep it to myself. 😛 Trying to explain awesome story ideas or plot twists to non writers just never really works. If it’s just too amazing to not tell anyone, I’ll tell @Emma-Flournoy because even though she’s not a writer herself she understands. 😉 I also write it down in my little pocket notebook. I have at least three really great story ideas stewing in there right now. A modern allegory… an extremely extraordinary fairytale… a superhero story, even. 😛 I’m ignoring them until I finish the… what… fourteen other ideas I have to work on first? 😛 Not exaggerating.

I love the picture, @Anne-of-Lothlorien. And mostly I scare myself just imagining real scenarios that could actually happen… like being chased by a wolf. Or having to deal with a home intruder. Things like that. Or meeting someone I wasn’t expecting in the dark, and trying to explain why I jumped a mile-high and screeched at the top of my lungs when I saw them… XD

Anne of Lothlorien
                        @anne-of-lothlorien

@kate-flournoy Yah, one time, just about the only time my little brother was able to scare me, was when I was up at twelve o’clock at night. I wandered down to the kitchen to get some milk, rounded the corner, and he was sitting on the table, staring at me. I jumped probably three inches and dropped my cup, (thankfully not full of milk) on the floor. And the werid thing was, he just kept sitting and staring at me until I left.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

Ha! Little siblings can be so creepy. 😀

Anne of Lothlorien
                            @anne-of-lothlorien

@kate-flournoy This is kind of like, really cool to be on at the same time as someone else. It’s like I’m having a real conversation.

Everyone else, is there anyone in your family that you have based a character off of? My only one would be my cousin’s cousin, Hans, who is 15. He’s a guy who would try and jump a fence to see if he could and end up with a broken arm. He seriously did that. But he sort of inspired the character of Devin in my WIP Fourth Rule, except Devin is 21 instead of 15. He’s actually coming to my g-parent’s house soon so I can study him more.

@daeus
                              @hope @bluejay @jess @the-bean @ethryndal @corissa-maiden-of-praise @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @sarah-h @anna-brie @anne-swiftblade @warrioroftherealm @Rolena-Hatfield @dragon-snapper @writefury

The Bean
                              @the-bean
                                • Total Posts: 65

I do that all the time, @anne-of-lothlorien. Most of the characters in one of my stories are modeled after my brothers and sisters who grew with me on the same infamous beanstalk in the corner of mr Blanc’s bean field. Ahh, the memories…

The Bean
                                @the-bean
                                  • Total Posts: 65

Hey! The 300th post on this subject!
                                  Will you guys agree with me on my guessing that a great majority of us writers are introverts?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 327 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >