Inter-genre Island

Home Page β€Ί Forums β€Ί Fiction Writing β€Ί Critiques β€Ί Short Story Critiques β€Ί Inter-genre Island

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Arianwen: *takes hand, presses it warmly.* β€œWe shall try not to die here, shan’t we?” *smiles, flashes Anna half puzzled glance from bright eyes* β€œIf I may ask… what is a lego bilbo? Is it… some kind of cordial?”

Hope Ann
      @hope
        • Total Posts: 1092

β€œOh, that? Well, it’s more of a collector’s item. My brother gave it to me.” *Pulls small Lego figure from pouch* β€œIt’s a character from a movie…umm, like a story one can watch.” *Smiles slightly as she looks at the figure then puts it away. β€œSuffice it to say that it won’t be of any help to us.”

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

As the character head into the woods, they are stopped by the sight of a grey misty figure in the form of an old man. He rises from a moss covered stone and approaches them.
          β€œI am the ghost of J.R.R.Tolkien. I have been sent to test you and to see if you are worthy to take the boat across the great swamp that lies within your path to the mountain. A riddle I will give you, and if you be wise, you shall have the boat.”

β€œWho can cleave his hand from arm
          Without a wave of pain?
          Who can bruise you naked foot
          But can’t receive the same?

Who have many read of
          In chronicles of lore
          Yet even now he’s with you,
          Was with you on the shore?

Answer me my riddle
          And I shall be your guide
          To find the boat and cross the moor
          That spans its fingers wide”

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

(Cripes! That’s quite a riddle!)
            Arianwen: *blinks* β€œPardonβ€” the ghost of whom?” *J.R.R.Tolkien shakes head and vanishes into mist* *Arianwen stands confounded, puzzled frown between her brows, thoughtfully biting lower lip**turns to others* β€œI… I know not what to think. I do not think it would be wise to ignore even the most cryptic warning in this place.” *glances around uneasily, whispers to self* β€œI hope Mem is somewhere safe.”

Daeus
            @daeus

Rameaux: I’m not sure if I trust the old man, but if we are armed, we are as safe with him as anywhere else, and we cannot loose our way if we have a campus. This I know though, that we had better try for the boat, for I would fear to cross a swamp with monsters lurking everywhere. A boat would quicken our progress and improve our safety.

Mocking voice from the mist:
              β€œHe’ll never move of his own free will
              But him you have carried, and carry him still
              Anna, recall him, and make yourself sure
              Six tries I give you, and no more.”

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Hope Ann
              @hope

Anna: β€œGhost indeed. Since when have I believed in ghosts? And who send him, I’d like to know?” *sighs* β€œWell, at least he’s generous enough to give us six guesses. Let’s see…no pain, bruise your foot, a statue or figure of some kind obviously. And…ah. Ghost of Tolkien.” *snorts* β€œI’d have expected him to give us a bit more of a challenge but his taunting has giving him away. Him you have carried, and carry him still.” *shouts to the mist* β€œIt’s my figure of Bilbo, isn’t it? Now where is the boat?”

Daeus
                @daeus

Tolkien: β€œYou have discovered the answer to my riddle. Your wit is good. Will it save you from the swamp? We shall see.” *leads the way through the forrest*

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Arianwen: *blinks, stares in puzzled confusion, then shakes head and starts after.* *to herself* β€œThere must be some hidden significance. But no matter. The riddle was solved, apparently, so why ought I to worry?” *hurrying forward, raising voice* β€œMy Lord Rameaux! Are you certain you know where you are going?”

Daeus
                    @daeus

Rameaux: I am certain of nothing. Quinn, keep an eye on your compass.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Rosey Mucklestone
                      @writefury
                        • Total Posts: 467

Quinn: I certainly am. *glances back down at compass* *starts back involuntary* What in…? We’re facing northwest now! But that’s the opposite… *looks up at mountain overhead* looks like our bearings just flip-flopped.

Hope Ann
                        @hope

*Anna looking up towards ghost*: β€œI suppose we’d better ask this Tolkien, though I must say his time as a ghost doesn’t seemed to have improved him any. I’d have expected him to be more dignified.” *steps toward head of line* β€œUmm, Tolkien ghost, where exactly are you leading us?”

(my own thoughts…I fear the other threads in this forum are suffering because most of us are here. πŸ™‚ )

Daeus
                          @daeus

Tolkien: *Stops. Waves hands in air to signal to others to stop. In tones full of deep meaning* β€œInter-genre swamp.”

(Before them lies a hideous wasteland of bog which seems to stretch on interminably)

Tolkien: *Grabs branch on tree and pulls down. Branch swings on hinge revealing a hidden cord passing through it. There are many audible mechanical noises from beneath the ground. A portion of the ground flips over revealing a secret chamber with a large canoe in it.*

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

Arianwen: *stares, turns white, reaches over shoulder and grips hilt of sword slung across her back* β€œI have seen many things in my few years. Many strange and unnatural things. But never such raw, unbridled power. I would not trust it. It may very well be some dreadful form of sorcery.”

Rosey Mucklestone
                              @writefury
                                • Total Posts: 467

Quinn: *puts a hand on Arianwen’s shoulder* There were similar inventions in Hradkenny, the port I sail from. I would take a guess that this man is an inventor. *looks at him suspicously* though was might be a more accurate word.
                                Sir, are you offering us use of that boat?

Daeus
                                @daeus

Tolkien: *Nods in a most ghost like manner.* Another noise is headed in the ground and the canoe is lifted up and out into the bog. *Steps into canoe* β€œBeware the snakes” *Strange glint in eye*

Rameaux: *Gets in canoe as well, holding his pistol all the while.*

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 119 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >