How naming affects characterization

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters How naming affects characterization

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Leumeister
    @leumeister
      • Total Posts: 244

@ethryndal, @jess, @kate-flournoy That’s interesting insight you had. Really interesting.

The actual alignment of these characters are:

James Manning: Hero

Pandora Flynn: Hero

Amadeus Janssen: Villain

Marcus Coleman: Villain

Jackson Levi: Hero

It was interesting hearing your opinions on their names. 😀

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Leumeister.
      Mark Kamibaya
      @mark-kamibaya
        • Total Posts: 318

Never seen this before. Let me try what @leumeister did . . .

Logan Black

Gabriella Kamiyama

Blake Aricson

Daren Azimalik

Jonah Cnatonus

Yukio Kamiyama

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Leumeister
        @leumeister

Logan Black sounds almost like a villain. It may be because of the last name Black.

Gabriella Kamiyama sounds like a good guy, except the Kamiyama could throw some people.

Blake Aricson… I’d say hero, but I could be wrong.

Daren Azimalik…. Villain. I think villain.

Jonah Cnnatonus. I have no idea with this one. He could be bad luck on a ship… 😛

Yukio Kamiyama. Again, the name throws me, since it’s foreign. I’d be inclined to say villain, but then there’s Gabriella Kamiyama…I assume that’s Yukio’s wife?

Ethryndal
          @ethryndal
            • Total Posts: 1013

@mark-kamibaya I would be inclined to agree with @leumeister, except for Yukio Kamiyama, which doesn’t hit me as villainous. (Sorry, Leu, hope you don’t mind. 🙂 )

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Jess
            @jess
              • Total Posts: 575

Logan Black- Hero
              Gabriella Kamiyama- Hero
              Blake Aricson- Villain maybe?
              Daren Azimalik- Villain
              Jonah Cnatonus – Hero?
              Yukio Kamiyama- Hero

Leumeister
              @leumeister

@ethryndal

Of course I don’t mind. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion. 🙂

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya
                  • Total Posts: 318

@leumeister @jess @ethryndal

Logan Black–main character (hero)
                  Gabriella Kamiyama–secondary character (good guy, daughter of Yukio btw)
                  Blake Aricson–secondary character: antihero
                  Daren Azimalik–villain
                  Jonah Cnatonus–secondary character (hero)
                  Yukio Kamiyama–villain (big baddie)

Interesting how you came to similar, but different conclusions.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

So, what about hero’s names? What do you guys think would go into a hero’s naming? (letters and sounds and such) (Ah, the English language) 😛
                    I particularly think that L is a good hero letter, but what else?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Shaina
                    @jenali
                      • Total Posts: 142

I love the letter L! I put it into a lot of names. Sometimes I have to come up with names that purposefully don’t have the letter L or K or R in it. hehe.
                      I tentatively disagree that the villains should only have R names. (sorry guys!) Names like Roric, Eragon, Durin, and Thorin all have R’s in them, and they are all hero’s. I think the letter R sounds strong, so if you have a strong hero (or villain) his name should use the letter R.
                      Thank you for enabling my rant of the day. 🙂

The Scattered Writer

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal

@Jenali I am blown away by the fact that you like the exact three letters I do. May I say that you have very good taste? 🙂

And I agree about R. (Probably because I have a character named Rodyn 🙂 ) It’s a pretty strong sounding letter, which is why it works well for villains, but I personally like heroes named with an R as well. Just think of Robin Hood. Wouldn’t be half so epic sounding if it was “Louie Hood” or something.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Shaina
                        @jenali
                          • Total Posts: 142

Exactly! Glad you agree. 🙂

The Scattered Writer

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper

@jenali Well, if you use the ‘R’s as Gandalf does, then it can be a villain sounding name. I guess it does depend on how one says it. @ethryndal
                            Huh…I never veer to one letter over the other, but I do tend to be very picky in my names. It can take me more than an hour just to find a suiting name for a character, and lots of internets searching. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal

@Dragon-Snapper Oh yes, the age long battle over names. I prefer naming fantasy characters, because then I can just make something up. 🙂 But when it comes to real life people…ugh.

I also like the letter E for a hero… Eowyn, Eragon, Emolas (he’s one of my characters 🙂 ) Edmund…Eeyore…

Gracie
                              @graciegirl
                                • Total Posts: 889

@jenali @ethryndal @dragon-snapper Wow! This is super cool! I love this topic. Mind if I jump in?
                                I agree about the E names 100%! Some of my favorite characters from my stories have E names like Erahir, Erdain, Evaleen, Elise, Elseanya etc. 😄 I made a list a couple months ago of every character I’ve ever come up with for my story world, (no matter how insignificant) and you might be interested to hear that J names are without a doubt the most popular name on my list. There are over 25 Js out of 150 only 2 of which are enemies. The A names can in close second, but there was a pretty even mix of heroes and villains. My Es are next with just over 15 and ever single one belongs to a ‘good guy’. This kinda surprised me since I usually don’t care in general for the letter A. (It’s because it’s fire engine red. Ergh.)
                                I also do the letter thing! Whenever I’m sketching a character I just get this feeling for what their name should be. When I was constructing my Evil Overlord this got me into a bit of trouble. I drew him up a couple of times, and for some reason I couldn’t think of him by any other name except Carlos!! Carlos! Not exactly a name for striking fear into your opponents, eh? ☺️ And I don’t know about you guys but once I find the name that fits a character I cannot change it for the life of me! So. I’m stuck with Carlos, but it turns out he was too much of a sob story to be the Evil Overloard anyway, so I made him the second in command that will repent at the end. The Evil Overloard’s name is Zlorom, and that is much more evil-overlord-ish, don’t you think? 😉

*is probably geeking out about something*

Snapper
                                @dragon-snapper

@graciegirl That’s a neat idea! I think I’ll make a list too! I happen to use ‘A’s A LOT as well, though in my more recent story it’s E. Hmm… Maybe for sci-fi the letter will be E and for fantasy the letter will be A…interesting.
                                  Carlos, you monster! … Myeah, I think that Zlorom works better for that line. 😛

@ethryndal
                                  Eeyore. That sounds familiar. 😉

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >