How naming affects characterization

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Characters ā€ŗ How naming affects characterization

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Anna Brie
    @anna-brie
      • Total Posts: 312

Iā€™ve been thinking quite a bit lately about how name can sometimes tell you a lot about characters. Also how preconceptions about names can affect perception of characters.
      Iā€™d love to have a discussion about it. What about a name indicates ā€˜villainā€™ to you? And the same with heroes.
      Also Iā€™m doing a little experiment on my blog asking people to make those guesses from a list of names.Iā€™d be very grateful if any of you would give me your opinion of the names either her or by commenting on the blog.
      http://annasbrie.blogspot.com/2016/09/game-how-do-names-affect-our-perception.html

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

What indicates ā€˜villainā€™ or ā€˜badguyā€™ for me is ā€˜rā€™.
        I will use some examples here from Tolkien: Mordor, Sauron, Saruman, Orcs, Trolls, Ring Wraiths. All of these have the ā€˜rā€™ in them that you can just roll around on your tongue and make is sound really badguyish.

ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€ ENFP ā˜€ ā˜€ ā˜€

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

I agree with @dragon-snapper. Also, any hard sounds. Like ā€˜kā€™ and ā€˜tā€™ for example.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Greta
          @gretald
            • Total Posts: 450

@anna-brie
            Great topic, Anna! Thanks for bringing it up. šŸ™‚ I absolutely love making up character names and learning the meanings behind the names!
            I think a villainā€™s name usually contains hard sounds (as @ingridrd said). I donā€™t know if thatā€™s because it makes the villains sound harsher and harder or for some other reason, but it seems that villain names often contain hard sounds. šŸ˜‰ Also, villain names sometimes contain someā€¦buzzy? sounds like ā€˜v,ā€™ and ā€˜z.ā€™ And ā€˜rā€™ is another villain name indicator (as @dragon-snapper said).
            I honestly donā€™t know what indicates to the reader that a name is a heroā€™s name, though if a hero has a name like Vogsol, which, to me, sounds like a villainā€™s name, the reader might have trouble relating to the character. I would if I were the reader. So I guess heroesā€™ names just soundā€¦lighter, and villainā€™s names sound hard and harsh.
            Iā€™d love to participate in the experiment on your blog! When I have a bit more spare time (like later today), I will. šŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Greta.
            Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

Ooh, great topic @Anna-Brie! I love names. Pretty much what everyone else said in regards to villains, though as in all cases with all things there are exceptions.
              As for heroesā€¦ well, it depends on what kind of person the hero is. When I think ā€˜heroā€™ I usually think ā€˜nobleā€™, ā€˜strongā€™ and ā€˜complicatedā€™. Donā€™t ask me why I think complicated. šŸ˜› The perfect hero name coming to me now belongs to one of our very own KeePersā€” @Hopeā€™s Ethaniel. *fanfare* Iā€™ve always loved that name, and now I get to brag on it. šŸ˜‰ (Donā€™t kill me, Hope).

Itā€™s great fun how sometimes a name and a character just completely click. Sometimes, before I even name the character, I know what letter his name has to start with because itā€™s ā€˜hisā€™ letter, so I brainstorm names that begin with that letter. A name can also fit the characterā€™s personalityā€” for instance, Zod. Besides being very obviously a villain name, itā€™s short, terse, to-the-point and sharp, as opposed to, say, Galbatorix. šŸ˜› Another example is Don Quixoteā€” a strange mix of outlandish, gallant, passionate and quirky. Not to mention Spanish. Extremely Spanish. šŸ˜›
              This applies both to the way a name sounds spoken aloud and how it looks on paper. One of my heroes is named ā€˜Trevelianā€™ā€” some hard villain sounds going on there, but it flows nicely and it looks dignified in a cold, even sort of way. The shapes of the letters when you read them are sharpā€” T, v, lā€¦ So, yes. That matters too.

And I thought I had something else to say but I forgot it. Story of my life. šŸ˜›

Great topic, Anna. šŸ˜€ Thanks for starting it.

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

Small moderator note. No killing allowed. Thanks for your compliance.

šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢šŸ¢

Anna Brie
                @anna-brie
                  • Total Posts: 312

@Kate-Flournoy, Ethaniel is great.

ā€˜Trevelianā€™ odes sound a bit cold. Iā€™m guessing heā€™s more of a realist than an optimist and takes things rather seriously. Which means he ought to have a joker for a side kick. But enough of that. And place donā€™t name a character ā€˜Galbatorixā€™ Itā€™d dreadful to pronounce.

@Dragon-snapper
                  I agree with you on the rā€™s. Everyone whoā€™s voted on my blog so far, thinks that ā€˜Rodrigoā€™ sounds like a villain.

@Gretald
                  I agree on not being quite certain of what indicates a hero in the name. But some names sound a bit lousy or ridiculous. Unless the them is about standing up despite people making fun of you, give heroes a name with some self respect.

Greta
                  @gretald

Itā€™s great fun how sometimes a name and a character just completely click. Sometimes, before I even name the character, I know what letter his name has to start with because itā€™s ā€˜hisā€™ letter, so I brainstorm names that begin with that letter.

@kate-flournoy
                    I do the SAME thing! For some reason, I usually have a character ā€œletterā€ in mind. I donā€™t know why, but each character just seems like his or her name should begin with a certain letter. šŸ˜‰

Greta
                    @gretald

@Daeus
                      Really? No killing allowed? I thought this topic would be fun. Just kidding. šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜›

@anna-brie

I agree about some names sounding ridiculous, especially if the story is set in another world. If the story is in another world, the names should be unique, but notā€¦too unique. Like Farentobiolis (I just made that up; itā€™s pronounced fair-en-TOE-bee-OLE-is šŸ˜€ ). That brings up another point: character names shouldnā€™t be too long, especially the MCā€™s name, unless itā€™s a joke or something. Hey, that actually just gave me a really good ideaā€¦ šŸ˜‰

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@Daeus thank you. I feel much safer. šŸ˜€

@Anna-Brie
                        Trevelianā€¦ is a mess. šŸ˜› You wouldnā€™t think it to look at his cold, hard exterior, but inside heā€™s broken to pieces. Which is going to be enormous fun to write. *rubs hands, cackles gleefully*
                        And I wonā€™t name a character Galbatorixā€” itā€™s the name of the villain in Christopher Paoliniā€™s Inheritance Cycle. *grins*

@Gretald
                        I KNOW! Itā€™s the weirdest thing. And it makes it a lot easier to find names, because all I have to do is search ā€˜Welsh/Celtic/Anglo-Saxon boy names beginning with the letter M,ā€™ etc. šŸ˜€

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

Villain names tend to have v, x, r, or Mā€¦but not always. And I love s, t, e, and a names for a hero. Though, again, not always. It justā€¦a sound to a name. It sounds strong and determined, like Ethaniel. ;D or Torin. Or it might sound playful, like Jathan.

And I do that too with so many of the names, @gretald, @kate-flournoy! There are letters which just go to a characterā€™s name and then I have to discover the name.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Leumeister
                          @leumeister
                            • Total Posts: 244

How do these names sound?

James Manning

Pandora Flynn

Amadeus Janssen

Marcus Coleman

Jackson Levi

Iā€™ve used these names in a story Iā€™m writing. Can you tell who the protagonists are and which are the villains? šŸ˜€ šŸ˜›

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal
                              • Total Posts: 1013

@leumeister Well letā€™s seeā€¦

I would guess that Amadeus Janssen and Pandora Flynn are villains, and James Manning and Marcus Coleman are good guys. I canā€™t decide about Jackson Levi (maybe because I started overthinking it šŸ™‚ ) but the name kind of hits me as being able to go both ways; a dashing, flamboyant hero, or a dashing, flamboyant villain.

šŸ™‚

INTJ āžøYour friendly neighborhood mastermind. āžøhttps://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Jess
                              @jess
                                • Total Posts: 575

@leumeister, hmmm,
                                Marcus Coleman seems villainous to me. (Maybe because I have a sort-of villain named Marcusā€¦) Amadeus Janssen seems kind of villainous, but Iā€™m on the fence about it.
                                The others seem like good guy names. šŸ˜‰

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

Ooh, I especially like Pandora Flynn. I would say she and Jackson Levi sound like the villains to me.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >