Hello!!!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 103

So I joined this group quite a while ago, but didn’t actually participate in it. I’ll spare you the story of how the evil Lords that reign over Pinterest and Facebook held me captive, but I’m sure at least some of you can relate.
      Anyhoo, I’m 17 years old, and some of my hobbies include reading, writing (yes, I know, duh), playing the piano, and riding. I love anything chocolate, ice cream, just about any animal that isn’t a snake, insect, or spider, and curling up with a good book and some hot chocolate on a rainy day. Fun fact about me: I speak 4 languages.
      I’ve noticed everyone gets asked this, so I’ll just state it here: I’m an ISTJ.
      As for my writing, I am currently toying around with and idea of the daughter of a pirate in an earth-like world, where it’s kinda supposed to be earth, but I totally make everything up, so I’m not sure where that falls… Anyways her parents were cast into exile on an island where the Kingdom sends all its criminals, ‘undesirables’, and rebels, and she was born there, but longs to see the outside world, for freedom.
      So yeah, that’s me.

Anonymous

And woah, it is not that late here. I mean, it’s late, and I should go to sleep, but not quite as bad as the post-time would lead you to believe. It’s ‘only’ 12:56 over here.

Ingrid
        @ingridrd
          • Total Posts: 830

Hey, @radically-surrendered (that’s an awesome tag, by the way.) Welcome to the bestistiest place on the internet! I love chocolate, ice cream, and riding as well! Wow, you’re story idea sounds intriguing. Where are you from?

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Mariposa Aristeo
          @mariposa
            • Total Posts: 335

Aloha @radically-surrendered! Me and my dinosaur Aberdeen welcome you to the bestistiest place on the internet! What other languages can you speak (that’s awesome that you know so many)? 🙂

Anonymous

Thanks, Ingrid! I’m actually from Mexico.

DelightInLife
              @delightinlife
                • Total Posts: 124

@radically-surrendered

Welcome! You have an awesome tag! 🙂

Wow! 4 languages? What are they? Did you learn to speak them just for fun, or do you have family members, friends, or a community that speaks that language?

I’m currently learning Hindi using an online program called Rosetta Stone and have really been enjoying the challenge! How did you learn your languages?

Anyways, welcome! We hope you enjoy it around here!

Anonymous

I thank you and your dinosaur, Mariposa. I speak English, German, Low-German (which is a sort of German dialect) and Spanish, in that order. It’s funny, I live in Mexico, but Spanish is actually the language I speak least… It’s a long story.

Anonymous

@delightinlife

Well my family and just about everyone I ever come into contact with these days speaks Low-German. Basically My ancestors were Mennonites, and though we don’t hold those beliefs anymore, we still live in a very large community of Low-German speaking people. For most people around here it’s their first language. As for English, my parents moved to Canada when I was two, and I went to school there until third grade. I had actually forgotten almost every word I knew Low-German, and had to relearn it when we moved back to Mexico. There I went to a private school where German was the main language spoken, and once I reached fifth grade we had to learn Spanish as well… Then once I finished 7th grade we moved, and now I’m homeschooled, and I sorta fell out of practice with my Spanish. I hope this made sense.

DelightInLife
                    @delightinlife
                      • Total Posts: 124

@radically-surrendered

Wow! That is really fascinating! I look forward to the day when I reach my goal of one day speaking both Hindi and English fluently! I really find it fascinating when people know more than one language!

What exactly is the difference between Low German and German? Are they originally spoken in different parts of Germany so the languages sound slightly different and have some different words?

Did learning languages get easier after your second language? I think I heard somewhere that they do get somewhat easier, but I’m not sure. What language was hardest to learn?

By the way, I’m homeschooled too. 🙂

Also, I hope you don’t mind all the questions. 😀 I just find it really fascinating. 🙂

DelightInLife

Anonymous

@delightinlife

The differences between German and Low-German aren’t too big, but enough that if you only know one, you can’t really understand the other. Low-German underwent quite a few changes over the years. As far as I know, it originated in Prussia, then moved to Russia, then Canada, then Mexico, and into South America. Most of the words have the same root as German, but have little differences. Low-German is rougher around the edges, something I think comes from its time in Russia. Also, we added in certain English or Spanish words simply for lack of the term in Low-German, though most of them have been changed so much you wouldn’t recognize it anymore. (A great example of this: my mom was talking about ‘teener’ the other day. Turns out, it’s our word for paint thinner. Someone had learned the word in English, but with the accent and a couple of generations of refinement, that’s what it became.)
                        As for whether it got easier learning languages, I couldn’t really say. I could speak English, Low-German, and German fluently by the time I was 10. I think it was easier for me to learn all of them because it was just what everyone spoke. In Canada I had to learn English, in Mexico I had to relearn Low-German to talk with family members and just people in general there, and we were required to speak German in school. Spanish was a little harder, but mostly because of all the little grammatical nuances, like conjugating verbs and where to put the accent, stuff English doesn’t have.
                        And I don’t mind the questions at all. 🙂

Joseph Darkgrate
                        @xonos-darkgrate
                          • Total Posts: 162

Hello, @radically-surrendered! I’m new here too, but welcome to Kingdom Pen! I will not say it’s the “bestiest” place on earth since that’s not even a word, but this place comes pretty close! Welcome anyways!

The Magistrate approves.

Life's a cruel joke, so you have to laugh at it sometimes.

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 859

@radically-surrendered (cool tag btw) Welcome to the bestistest place in the universe! You like riding? That’s awesome! I worked a horse ranch for a while, and I think horses are so cool! What is your favorite book? What’s your favorite type of music? I play piano too, but I recently quite lessons. I also play guitar and violin. Anyway, hope to see you around!

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1330

@shannon the word is quit
                              @radically-surrendered Welcome to the kingdom! Wow! What a neat “history.” 4 languages?! *stares at you in awe and adoration* I am trying to learn spanish because my aunt lives in Costa Rica, but it is by no means easy. 😛 I think that you answered for yourself all the commonly asked questions around here sooo…Actually, I do have a question: Other than writing, what is your favorite subject in school?

Anonymous

@xonos-darkgrate
                                Thank you!

@shannon
                                It’s awesome that you play three instruments! I took violin lessons for a year, but didn’t play anymore after that. My favorite music would have to be contemporary piano music, and I also really like Evangelistic Music teams, like Galkin and Steve Pettit.
                                As for my favorite book, there’s too many. I love Pride and Prejudice, though, and Karen Kingsburys series. Also the O’Malley Chronicles by Dee Henderson, and Irene Hannons books. Then there’s C.S. Lewis, especially Chronicles of Narnia, and I also love reading historical fiction.

Anonymous

@emily
                                  Thanks!
                                  My second favorite subject would have to be math.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >