Have you read…?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Have you read…?

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

@His-Instrument YES!!! Les Miserables! My favorite book ever! I love that one. And you haven’t even got to the good part yet. *wiggles eyebrows*

And the Chronicles of Narnia— yes. I reread them recently, and was actually stunned how deep they are. I’d only had them read to me before, when I was seven or eight, and so much of the allegory I didn’t pick up on. Now I understand so much more, and though I don’t agree with a few of C.S. Lewis’s perspectives (*gasp!*) it’s fascinating studying how he wove it all in. 😉
      So yes. We can jaw about Narnia. Have at it. In fact, you could make a different topic about that entirely, because there’s so much to talk about and so much to learn from studying this thing I think that would be totally awesome.

Greta
      @gretald
        • Total Posts: 450

@his-instrument
        I haven’t read Les Mis, but I love, love, LOVE the play! I really need to read it. Have you watched the play? The music is incredible!

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@his-instrument Yes, I have read it. I wouldn’t say it’s my all-time favorite, but It’s probably in the top six or so. Very excellent book. The play is equally amazing. Its music ranks number 2 for me right under the Messiah.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@His-Instrument I’m reading it right now, and L.O.V.I.N.G. it. The fifty pages on Waterloo were a little hard to get through, though the stuff was interesting. Are you reading an unabridged version?

@Daeus
            Handel’s Messiah? Ooh, yes. And you’ve seen the play of Les Mis?? Is it accurate to the book?

Daeus
            @daeus

@emma-flournoy Yes, the play is amazing. Of course, they had to seriously abridge everything and they couldn’t possibly be 100% accurate to the book with the limited time, but I’d say they did a good job expressing the core elements of the book. The only issue is that stage directors can do anything they want outside of the script, so when I went there was a lot of obscenity 🙁 It was still one of the best experiences of my life though. Totally trumps any movie I’ve ever scene.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy

@Daeus Oh wow. Do you mean any movie of Les Mis you’ve ever seen, or any movie at all?

Daeus
                @daeus

@emma-flournoy Any movie at all. Though our family never really attends the theatre (for no particular reason), that experience decided me that the opera is my favourite art form. I don’t know if it will ever happen, but some day I’d like to write them along with my novels.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy

@Daeus Neato. Add some nice operas to all the classic ones, what? I’ve never seen an opera, but I don’t think the famous ones have got the best stories, in many aspects at least. :\
                    Do you think you’d compose the music for them as well as write them?

Daeus
                    @daeus

@emma-flournoy I think I’d collaborate on the music. I’m always composing music and am supposedly very musical, but I can’t actually write down the music (at least it would be very very difficult for me to do) and I really don’t like playing instruments myself and have very little knowledge of them.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@Daeus *nods sagely*

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 3976

@Daeus opera? Wow… never really considered that as a written thing, but now that you mention it, they are stories, aren’t they? 😛
                          Music isn’t really all that difficult— if you can read it and have the basic foundation (which learning piano is the best way to build, IMO) it’s fairly easy. Assuming, of course, you have the head for it. 😛 I can play it fairly well, but I cannot for the life of me write it.

Anne of Lothlorien
                          @anne-of-lothlorien
                            • Total Posts: 440

@Emma-Flournoy No George McDonald is not a modern author. He died in 1905. He’s really good though. Whoever asked me this question I’d say his is more personal fantasy, but with maybe a touch of epic.

@His-instrument
                            I KNOW! I hated that ending! I was so happy that they ended well and got married and then seriously? They died, the new king was greedy, the then the city collapsed and everyone forgot about him? Really? I’ve read three books of his, At the Back of the North Wind, which is about a little boy who meets the North Wind who takes him on adventures, and it’s really sad at the end (I cried. Big surprise to those who know me :)) and I’ve read The Princess and the Goblins, and the Princess and Curdie which are both about what they sound like. Curdie’s a boy. And the best kind of boy too.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >