Google Analytics is a powerful tool that tracks and analyzes website traffic for informed marketing decisions.
Service URL: policies.google.com (opens in a new window)
_gac_
Contains information related to marketing campaigns of the user. These are shared with Google AdWords / Google Ads when the Google Ads and Google Analytics accounts are linked together.
90 days
__utma
ID used to identify users and sessions
2 years after last activity
__utmt
Used to monitor number of Google Analytics server requests
10 minutes
__utmb
Used to distinguish new sessions and visits. This cookie is set when the GA.js javascript library is loaded and there is no existing __utmb cookie. The cookie is updated every time data is sent to the Google Analytics server.
30 minutes after last activity
__utmc
Used only with old Urchin versions of Google Analytics and not with GA.js. Was used to distinguish between new sessions and visits at the end of a session.
End of session (browser)
__utmz
Contains information about the traffic source or campaign that directed user to the website. The cookie is set when the GA.js javascript is loaded and updated when data is sent to the Google Anaytics server
6 months after last activity
__utmv
Contains custom information set by the web developer via the _setCustomVar method in Google Analytics. This cookie is updated every time new data is sent to the Google Analytics server.
2 years after last activity
__utmx
Used to determine whether a user is included in an A / B or Multivariate test.
18 months
_ga
ID used to identify users
2 years
_gali
Used by Google Analytics to determine which links on a page are being clicked
30 seconds
_ga_
ID used to identify users
2 years
_gid
ID used to identify users for 24 hours after last activity
24 hours
_gat
Used to monitor number of Google Analytics server requests when using Google Tag Manager
1 minute
It’s a great question! First off, just like any relationship, no twin sets are the same. However, there are some things to keep in mind… hopefully I don’t ramble too much. Twins are fabulous in literature when done right!
1. Don’t underestimate the age dynamics of twins. The older twin is Baby A/The Older One. It really shapes how we each see ourselves. The elder usually takes on some of the roles of an eldest child, with the younger taking the others. It’s not usually a huge influencer to the point some people don’t notice it in twins, (so don’t worry about it too much) but it’s still an important aspect that will shape inside jokes if nothing else. (unless their parents hide who was older. Not sure how it works there.) 2. I’ve heard twins described as a tiny gang, and that’s not too far off. XD They have a friendship that no one else quite gets. For my sister and I, we’re pretty protective of each other, although growing up, she was my defender. In our mid-teens, I was her spokesperson. In fact, our storytelling habits originated from a game we called “play talk” in which we would make up scenarios and put characters in them. (we still do this, even though we don’t call it that, and it’s usually talking over our stories or those we read.) While all us siblings are close, there were many times when Koshka and I would accidentally cut out our other siblings because they didn’t catch what was going on. People are sometimes intimidated to talk to us if we’re together, because they feel like they’re intruding. (Or maybe they have learned from experience how dangerous it is to talk to two people on the same brainwave. we can dominate a convo waayyy too easily. *facepalm*) It really is like they’re looking in on a clique to which they will never belong, which means we have to go a little out of our way to include people. 3. Did I mention inside jokes and conversations others don’t follow? Yeah. We don’t communicate telepathically, but we do understand each other pretty well. The secret knocks, obscure references, and ongoing games are things I relate to deeply were abundant with the four of us, but which were a little elevated with Koshka and I. It was such an important part of our childhood, and I think I will always enjoy reading that sort of thing in books. 4. They are separate individuals with their own personalities and interests. They are also two parts of a whole. Some things like birthdays are very different between twins and singletons. You don’t celebrate one without the other. You just don’t. Similarly, there’s a desire to pursue something independent of one’s twin, to express your individuality- but not alone. Doing something important that does not involve one’s twin is great, but not for careers or big dreams, etc. Not sure if that makes sense, but yeah. Two different parts of one linked whole. 5. Twins may fight. Some almost hate each other, but which is sad. Still, there always seems to be a link that cares for the other. 6. I’d suggest avoiding the evil vs. twin trope. I would also suggest not using “twin telepathy” unless it really fits the characters and the story. There are many real-life stories of kinda bazaar instances where one basically has a premonition about the other, just knowing the other is all right, having the same acne… XD. I don’t discount it, but it is quickly overused. I can’t say that I have ever experienced it. For all that, I would say that a twin can usually sense the other’s mood. 7. TWINLING IS A REAL THING. Most twins have their own language when they are very, very little. It’s rare to retain it, but it makes for hilarious stories.
And I’ll come back if I think of anything else, lol. If you want.
So, yeah. Basically like normal brothers, just with quirks.
Oooooo, twinsies. I loveth twinsies (definitely no bias of course *cough cough*).
First of all, sounds like you’re doing a great job so far.
Now, I would say there is still a type of age dynamic…but not exactly like normal siblings. I am 3 min older than my dear doppelganger, which of course makes jokes like “I’m older and wiser” so very… hilarious. When we were younger I often took it upon myself to “protect” my twin from perceived/imagined threats (and as I had a bit more of a temper than she did, that tended to mean insults and anger with anyone I thought was mean to her at all).
Something you should know…hmm…yes.
A few tropes to avoid (some of which may not be actual tropes): 1) Evil vrs Good: please, just why. One of the only instances of this trope I enjoyed was The Secret Benedict Society, where the twins didn’t know each other as children (and yet, at the end of the series, they almost seem to get along). I’ve just seen it used so much that…ugh. If a twin is going to hurt their twin, the grief and pain on both sides would be major rough. (Plus, statistics in psychology agree that if one twin goes off the deepend, the other will too, together). I’d kinda like to see a “good” twin and a “morally gray” twin who are very close (and perhaps not as gray as it looks).
2) Death of Twin is a “I am sad” moment: If my twin were to die, I honestly don’t know what I would do. I remember solemnly telling a Sunday school teacher that if my twin died, I didn’t care what happened, I’d just stop living and die too (don’t remember what point she was trying to make, but pretty sure I ruined her lesson). Now, I don’t know what I’d do. She’s kinda like a part of me, and If she died, a big part of me would “stop living” too.
3) They Are Not Alike: this trope bothers me (even in real life. If you have any idea how many people notice a few differences between us, and immediately proclame we look nothing alike, as if that were some sort of badge they’d just achieved? We are in fact identical. Thank you.). There is rarely such a thing as “nothing alike”, even among normal siblings. When it comes to fraternal twins (and I have friends who are), who have different DNA, there will be just as many similarities as between those regular sibs, with the twin dynamic thrown in on top. So yes, some twins barely look related. But that doesn’t mean they are literally “nothing alike”.
Now, a note on injuries. My twin is one of the first to notice when I don’t feel good, and vise versa. She usually notices when I’ve got a headache. I often notice when her hand is hurting. If one of us is down and hiding it, the other doesn’t call her on it, because neither of us really needs to say we don’t feel good, or are mentally exhausted. And, interesting note, I express far more emotions or show pain/discomfort around my twin than when anyone else is pressent. We both have quirky sides that most people never see (but I guess that’s like most close families with introverts). Growing up, I hated to cry in front of people (still do in fact) but I could always go cry on my sister’s shoulder.
Thinking about this, and came up with a few things that we do without thinking (brainwave stuff I guess). I don’t know how this would change between Boy-boy twins, but it’s a thing.
1) We finish each other’s sentences. A lot. Even when talking to each other. Which sometimes makes it awkward having to talk to someone without the other, because I keep dropping these phrases that I know she’d pick up as her cue to take a turn, and instead it makes my own speach a bit bumpy without her. This isn’t a big deal, and doesn’t really affect life, but sometimes when I’m tired I catch myself pausing, waiting for her to come rescue a conversation, or give a non-verbal addition to my point.
2) When responding to questions or group texts, we often type out near matches if our reply are short. We also do this out loud, but it doesn’t happen every day.
3) We do tend to randomly (and accidentally) match clothing on any given day, and often don’t notice till hours later (and often it’s someone else who notices first. “Hey, y’all are wearing the same shirt” *sister and I look at each other* “Well, look at that.”).
Thank you both for the answers!! I’m still thinking about what you both said, so I will delay my response for a little longer. I appreciate all the details. :]
I think I might have some more questions formulating, based on what you’ve said
Just shoot them at us whenever they’re ready. =)