@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
My favorite messed up protagonist? Sydney Carton. Bitter, cynical, lazy, slovenly, drunken— the list goes on and on.
Yet he’s a great character because we all know what it’s like to want something we cannot obtain (Lucie in this instance) and to work incredibly hard at the most thankless job imaginable and still see nothing come of it.
Or even…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Great, you started a thread. I was going to do that later if no one else had. 🙂
This is a question I’ve thought about on and off. Under normal circumstances, of course, torture would be something I’d only have bad guys use. By this I mean physical torture. If the situation were serious enough, I’d have no problem letting good characters use some…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Bad heroes, messed up protagonists, and character arcs in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
I have a friend who’s MC is bitter, spiteful, and revengeful at the beginning of the book. And yet I love her. Part of it is that I can see the character’s past; what has made her like this, and I sympathize. Part of it is that the character is hurting, though she doesn’t show it (and covers it with bitterness, etc.). And part of is is that I know…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic When Good Guys Act Like Villains in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
So there was a question in the comments of @Hope‘s article ‘Focused Hues’ about whether or not it’s acceptable for a non-villain to practice torture.
Obviously not just because they’re mean and like it, but because they need info and torture is the surest (or the only) way to obtain it.
So what do you think? What does the Bible say about this?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
My apologies, Master Yoda. I didn’t say you weren’t wise, I said you weren’t refined.
There’s a big difference. *cough* Excuse me. Big difference there is.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Ha!
Crazy you are. Like Yoda your last sentence sounds. Very not-refined is Yoda.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
A lot of us on this forum write fantasy, I think.
Just a guess. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 11 months ago
Ah! Okay. Yes, I didn’t even notice that, but it’s true. 😛
Very true.
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Thanks, Hope! Cool, what are you books called? Or do they not have titles yet? Yes, I am writing a book (with my sister, actually), and it’s called The Sorcerer’s Daughter (not sure about the title, but anyway…).
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Welcome Greta! I love writing fantasy as well. I’m currently correcting two fantasy books. 😉 And writing a futuristic trilogy which is interesting since it’s so different.
Are you currently writing a book?
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Oh, really? I’m actually not entirely sure which one I’m focusing more on in my novel. I should probably decide that soon, though, before I get too far along in my novel. 🙂 I think it’s more heroic fantasy…but I’m not exactly sure.
-
Greta and
Kate Flournoy are now friends 10 years, 11 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Oh, a pretty fair mix of both. I’ve found that combination makes for an excruciatingly long novel, though. 😛
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
@Kate: I write more heroic fantasy I think, but a little of both high and heroic fantasy. What do you write?
Thanks for the definitions! 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
I’ll bet it was!
Do you like to do medieval fantasy or modern fantasy? And do you prefer High Fantasy or Heroic Fantasy? Or a mix of both? 😛
Hm… those terms aren’t so common. Maybe I should explain. *pulls on nose* yeah, I probably should.
High fantasy is epic in the truest sense of the word, focusing primarily on the plot, and usually the…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Thanks, Amanda! Yes, I actually did say the double everything for the Goose. It was lots of fun!
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Hi Ezra. *backs away slowly* 😛
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
@Ivy: Nice! I, obviously, love fantasy. 🙂
Yeah, I figured Daeus was kidding. 😉
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
@Kate: I was the Goose in Charlotte’s Web. 😛
Haha, that’s awesome, Kate. Oh, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas is a good idea!
-
Greta replied to the topic Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself… in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 11 months ago
Hey, Rosey! I haven’t finished any books yet but really hope to soon! I’m writing a fantasy novel with my sister right now, and I’d like to finish before the end of the school year. What about you?
- Load More
