@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
The Golden Wasp.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Haha! The Crook and Lyre says a shepherd’s flail and a harp, the Crook and Liar says a felon and… well… a liar! It’s perfect. 😀 XD
*sigh* I love a good pun.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help about Testing in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Yes. I like that too.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Now I’m choking.
The Elegant Horsefly
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Help about Testing in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
Hmm, illusions could work. Perhaps a few, some begging for help, others trying to lure off the path with riches and others giving with what seems good advice (by twisting the words of the instructions, though that would mean I’d need more instructions…but that way I could have a path that goes to the center of the swamp…) And in the end, they…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
The Bearded Crab
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Oh boy, we’ve got some great stuff going here. The sneezing pirate… hilarious.
All we need now is Ezra. @Ezra-Wilkinson? Where are you? 😛
-
Kate Flournoy posted an update 10 years, 10 months ago
@hope congratulations on winning the prompt! I loved it. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Haaaaaaaa… The Floating Log. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help about Testing in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
What if there were things in the mist— illusions— that tried to get them off the path? Like the voice of a child crying for help, or the screams of a woman in distress, or a weeping baby? Things that would appeal to their heart and make them jump out to save something without thinking, but in the end are not really there.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Help about Testing in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
The problem with that is that I have another book where two characters have to pass though a swamp and fight a swamp serpent, and I want to make both testings different. I suppose one way would be to take out the swamp completely and replace it with forest, mountains, or something else, though I still am not sure what sort of test I’d do then…
-
Hope Ann started the topic Help about Testing in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 10 months ago
In a book I’m currently correcting, I have two characters who have to go on a journey to find some armor. There are some tests along the way…don’t leave the path, that sort of thing. But at one point they have to pass though a swamp. Right now I just have them both struck with a irrational fear and they have to resist leaving the path, but I’ve…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
The Green Dragon 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
You probably don’t want to know. 😛
The Wailing Wombat.
The Dangling Snake.
The Boat and Bulrush. (I’ve used that one already).
The Fish and Lilypad.
The Lobster and Limpet.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Traitors’ Rest
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Ooh… I like that one. Makes me wonder where it got its name. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Ha! The Howling Frog! Love it. So fun. 😀
I like The Screaming Falcon, too, @Hope. Nice and dramatic. I like both the funny and the sophisticated ones. Once I used ‘The Leaf and Thorn’ when I didn’t want to go for the humorous twist.
Great job, both of you. All of those would definitely qualify as inn names.
The Dog and Partridge (didn’t make…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
Ooo, fun. I’ve never thought of inn names before:
The Screaming Falcon
Sign of the Rolling Heads
The Ax and Rose
The Black Griffin
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic The Sign of the Prancing Poodle in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 10 months ago
You may have guessed by the name of the topic that this has to do with inns.
Then again, you may not have. Now you know.
One of my favorite phraseology exercises is to just sit back and think of all the different word combinations that evoke different feelings, images, and moods— and one of my favorite ways to do that is to make up inn names.…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Chatter in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 10 months ago
So, for those of you who like Studio C and Star Wars…
- Load More

Thanks. 🙂