@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Thanks Daeus— I was wondering that too, but didn’t quite know how to say it. You put it down very clearly. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
I appreciate your frankness, Sarah, but a lot of your arguments are either logically unsound or built very heavily on assumption. Thank you for sharing with me and taking the time to try and convince me, but I’m still going to have to say I disagree.
But we already know the reasons for that, and still aren’t agreeing, so I don’t think further…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh the irony… and the Pope only succeeded in kicking the can a little further down the road. 😛
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Very good points Daeus!
Also, I saw this article and it made me chuckle considering this conversation. Apparently the Pope doesn’t consider God a magician either, and that He created the system of Evolution to account for life. Even if he is right, wouldn’t God still be a magician by his definition? Wouldn’t God still have had to wave His “magic…[Read more]
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Very good points Daeus!
Also, I found saw this article and it made me chuckle considering this conversation. Apparently the Pope doesn’t consider God a magician either, and that He created the system of Evolution to account for life. Even if he is right, wouldn’t God still be a magician by his definition? Wouldn’t God still have had to wave His…[Read more]
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Very good points Daeus!
Also, I found saw this article and it made me chuckle considering this conversation. Apparently the Pope doesn’t consider God a magician either, and that He created the system of Evolution to account for life. Even if he is right now, wouldn’t God still be a magician by his definition? Wouldn’t God still have had to wave…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh gracious, yes, @Daeus! Absolutely show what a crushing, dangerous responsibility it is! In fact I’ve used (and am going to use) it in many ways to showcase how power can corrupt, and why it’s incredibly dangerous to trust a fallible human being with too much of it.
Only a few of my villains toss it around like it’s nothing, and it never…[Read more]
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
@Reagan- Thanks for taking the time to write such an exhaustive reply! 🙂 There seems to be a disconnect between what I am trying to say and what you think I am saying. We define terms differently. You define magic as supernatural power. I believe magic is supernatural power from Satan. You believe Moses and Pharaoh’s magicians were all wizards. I…
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
@Reagan- Thanks for taking the time to write such an exhaustive reply! 🙂 There seems to be a disconnect between what I am trying to say and what you think I am saying. We define terms differently. You define magic as supernatural power. I believe magic is supernatural power from Satan. You believe Moses and Pharaoh’s magicians were all wizards. I…
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
@Reagan- Thanks for taking the time to write such an exhaustive reply! 🙂 There seems to be a disconnect between what I am trying to say and what you think I am saying. We define terms differently. You define magic as supernatural power. I believe magic is supernatural power from Satan. You believe Moses and Pharaoh’s magicians were all w…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
I read the article, and though again I do see your argument, I don’t agree. Tell me something I wasn’t expecting, hey? 😉
There’s one thing this hinges on, I think, and maybe I didn’t make this clear enough in my first posts. The difference is we are not talking about fairies and elves etc. as they may stand in our world. That’s an entirely…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Magic and Fantasy in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 9 months ago
@Sarah-h— Well, no… I don’t believe that exactly. I believe magic, quite simply, is God’s power whether or not it takes the form of a prophet-like being (Moses, for example— all @reaganramm‘s points are completely valid in my opinion) or the form of a created natural system. Because even if it is a natural law thingy, it was still set in…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
It is. It really is. Every person should read Screwtape. Get ‘Screwtape Proposes a Toast’ as well if you can— it doesn’t always come with the rest of the ‘Screwtape’ material, but it’s FANTASTIC— especially if one is a political nut-case like myself. 😛
-
Greta replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow, I might have to look into that @kate-flournoy! Sounds like a GREAT book. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow, I might have to look into that @kate-flournoy! Sounds like a GREAT book. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow, I might have to look at that @kate-flournoy! Sounds like a GREAT book. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey Hannah! C. S. Lewis. 🙂
It’s not so much of a stunning story as it is a stunningly insightful… er… devotional, for lack of a better word! It’s basically the correspondence of Screwtape, a demon, with his nephew demon, Wormwood, in which Screwtape advises him in all the billions of ways to tempt a human being.
Now that sounds revolting…[Read more] -
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey! Kingdom Pen now has a Goodreads account. So if any of you are on Goodreads, check it out!
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Musicians/Music Artists? in the forum Music 10 years, 9 months ago
That is so cool, Ivy!!! I’d love to hear some of your music!!!
-
Kate Flournoy and
MarkMcGuire are now friends 10 years, 9 months ago - Load More
