@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy – I love it when Anna recites, but I also like in the 2nd one when Emiline reads it aloud in class. And when she acts in Mary, Queen of Scots too. 😀
But my favourite part in the movie is with the fireworks. We once had a pet lamb in the house (with a nappy on :P) and she had fallen asleep at our feet while we were watching it and…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@rolena-hatfield – I have not read the highwayman but I’ve heard Anne recite it. It sounds a very moving poem. We have number 3 but I haven’t watched it yet. I can’t wait though.
I sometimes think I’m very much like Anne (with an E 😀 ). A writer, an actress (and very Dramatic) and I’m always (at least when I was younger than I am now) in…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yes @rolena-hatfield and @bluejay! I love those movies, and yes, I have read the Highwayman. Lovely— the rhythm for that one is absolutely… splendiferous.
Ah… to hear Anne reciting The Lady of Shalott… drama. Pure drama.
Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
little breezes dusk and shiver,
thro’ the wave that runs for ever,
by the island in…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
She sounds like a mouse. 😉 😀
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy – Have you ever seen Anne of Green Gables number one or two? In that movie she repeats from the Lady of Shalott all the time. “Willows whiten, aspens shiver, little breezes dance and shiver.” Or something like that. I have never actually read the entire thing but what is used in Anne is so good. Like the time she nearly drowned…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh boy, *hyperventilates excitedly* I know a poem you can read! ‘Specially if you love drama— for drama, and for reading aloud, this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE POEM. The Lady of Shalott.
It’s almost more like a saga than a poem, but I give myself chills reading this aloud. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh boy, *hyperventilates excitedly* I know a poem you can read! ‘Specially if you love drama— for drama, and for reading aloud, this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE POEM. The Lady of Shalott It’s almost more like a saga than a poem, but I give myself chills reading this aloud. 😛
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@daeus and @kate-flournoy – You have made me laugh so hard. 😀
Thanks @kate-flournoy for your suggestion. I’ll have a look at changing it.
As to poetry…hmmmmm…I’m actually not one to read poetry. I can never find the rhythm in them. But maybe I should try… 🙂
And cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg *yummy* add stewed apples and cream and voila, magnificent. 😀 -
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Thanks @kate-flournoy 🙂
Ooo, Arianwen is a great name!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Love the villain’s name, @gretald— simple, yet the name itself has character. 😀
I had to smile too when I saw the name for your MC, ’cause I have an MC right now whose name is very similar. Arianwen. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Love the villain’s name, @greta— simple, yet the name itself has character. 😀
I had to smile too when I saw the name for your MC, ’cause I have an MC right now whose name is very similar. Arianwen. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
You know you’re a writer when you’re on this Forum discussing writing with other writers. 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
This is a great topic! I was just trying to figure out a name for my protagonist in a novel I just started when I saw this topic. 🙂
Protagonist:
Ariana QuinnOther Characters:
Sheryn Slade
Rosalyn Gardener
Queen Eldora
Prince Deron
Princess Mira
Madam Munch
Mrs. Dorandos
Miss HimwegVillan:
Enon
The Invisible Ones -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@aella— sorry, forgot to tag you. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey Hannah! Glad you dropped by again! 🙂 Those are really cool names— I especially like Hirrador Chardragon and Terrowin. Let me guess— fantasy? 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Actually @Ivy-Rose I’ve never counted— I probably should. 😛
But it depends very heavily— sometimes I can’t even break past a thousand in one night, but last night, which was a fairly good night, I got 1,670. Saturdays I usually get a whole chapter down— and my chapters are really long. Like, 4,635 words. *cringe* I know. I need to trim my…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Titles and endings. Also middles, plots, characters, and sometimes even beginnings. And writing instead of staring out the window. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
*smacks lips* Delicious!
Actually, I was flattered you’d attribute such a deep thought to me. 😉 😛 -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yes. @Daeus said it all. 😛
Also getting caught up reading articles I pulled up so I could check the reality of something I just wrote… or checking my dad’s Twitter account… or looking up images for a castle or a sword or a really cool costume. Anything cool and interesting, in fact. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@Bluejay— great so far! The only thing I would say is watch out for subject-openers— every sentence in your beginning paragraph starts with the subject, and that can get to sounding a little odd. You might try merging some of those sentences together just to vary the rhythm.
@Daeus… well, that’s not quite exactly what I was saying… you…[Read more]
- Load More
