@mark-kamibaya
Active 7 years, 11 months ago- Rank: Knight in Shining Armor
- Total Posts: 318
-
Daeus replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@rolena-hatfield I’m no expert in jousting, but I do think flails were sometimes used in jousts. The advantage of a flail is that it can whip around an opponent’s shield, but they are hard to wield and bad for defense. Anything specific you wanted to know?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Rolena-Hatfield you’re welcome. 🙂 It was either you could unhorse them with a blow to their shield or knock their helmet off. Unhorsing by the shield is most common and most convenient, as the jousting helmet is designed specifically to turn such blows. There is no flat surface to land a solid blow save for a tiny tip where all the slopes of the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Rolena-Hatfield you’re welcome. 🙂 It was either you could unhorse them or knock their helmet off. Unhorsing is most common and most convenient, as the jousting helmet is designed specifically to turn such blows. There is no flat surface to land a solid blow save for a tiny tip where all the slopes of the helmet come together just beneath the…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy Very true. I didn’t know the helmet thing. (for lack of better words right now :p)
This is a royal joust because I did wish it to be much more organized and less “rough”. Thank you!@warrioroftherealm @daeus Do you know anything about flail weapons in a joust setting?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Prayer Requests in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Aw, poor boy! I’m praying.
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Prayer Requests in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Aw, poor boy! I’m praying.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Cramp in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper haha, yes. It’s a muscle cramp, not a mental cramp. XD
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Rolena-Hatfield I don’t know the answer to that specific question, though I suspect it very much depends on whether it was a formal joust (or even a royal joust) or a rougher, livelier joust hosted by a baron or some other ‘petty’ lord. ‘Country’ jousts were rough and probably a lot less organized. Royal jousts were merely for the show of it,…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writer's Cramp in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy Ah, yes! I know what you mean now. At first I thought you meant a writerly cramp we get in our heads when we write too much or something weird like that. Which goes to prove my confusion “How are stress balls and hand exercises going to help us?” I understand a lot better now, thanks!
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper
I have seen that movie! Didn’t think of that one. Thanks! I also thought about Ivan Hoe, but haven’t read that book in a long while. My younger brother’s reading it right now for school so maybe he can give me some inspiration.Yeah I learned that there are three stages between two knights if one can’t best the other. 1) they…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Cramp in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper basically a heavy, chronic hand cramp caused by perpetual repetitive motion. The motion of holding/moving a pencil… over… and over… and over… even typing can give it to you, though that’s less common. The muscles get weary of being frozen in one position for too long and just seize up. It’s not pleasant. 😛
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writer's Cramp in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@kate-flournoy One thing I want to ask… what is writer’s cramp in the 1st place?
-
Snapper replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@rolena-hatfield Have you ever seen The Sword in the Stone? It’s not entirely about jousting, but it has a scene or two with it. I know that squires keep all of the Knight’s items and anything they need. When a knight is dismounted, they move onto sword-fighting. That’s really all I know… Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
-
Snapper replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@rolena-hatfield Have you ever seen The Sword in the Stone? I know that squires keep all of the Knight’s items and anything they need. When a knight is dismounted, they move onto sword-fighting. That’s really all I know… Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Thank you! My dad took me to a Renaissance fair a long time ago and I’m pulling some inspiration from that as well as blogs and historical sites online.
I appreciate the help! -
Jackson Graham replied to the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Actually, I’ve seen a jousting tournament at a Renaissance fair awhile back! I don’t think there were any limits on how many people could enter, as long as they were supporting their liege lord in the lists (on the jousting field). If anybody says otherwise, know that I am not an expert in everything medieval, but I have a…[Read more]
-
Rolena Hatfield started the topic A Good Joust in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
Hello all!
I’ve been doing some research on medieval jousting. Does anyone know if there was a limit to how many people could compete? Or an average?Also feel free to comment any interesting facts you know about jousting that I may not have come across yet.
-
Anne of Lothlorien changed their profile picture 9 years, 10 months ago
-
Jackson Graham replied to the topic How to write song lyrics – Help! in the forum Music 9 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the advice man! I usually start by thinking of a message (or a line), and build from there. I used to start with chords, but that really got me nowhere. Once again, thanks for the help! 🙂
Jackson E. Graham
http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham -
Snapper replied to the topic Favorite Movies in the forum Film 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien @jess Oh, I really liked Ever After! Especially with Leonardo. He was great comic relief.
- Load More
