@jenwriter17
Active 4 years, 3 months ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 2522
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Do you mean the movie or the musical? I haven’t seen either, but I’ve seen clips of the movie. I can’t find pictures of the costumes worn in the musical, and if it’s in the movie I’m not sure what dress you’re talking about. Do you have a picture?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
I can’t even imagine wearing something like the things they wore 🙂
Thanks!
Oh, do you know the costume Anya wears in Paris in Anastasia? The white one? I quite like that, but you’d have to tell me whether its historically accurate 1920s costume.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@valtmy I’ve not heard of it. 😮 I know mostly American and a lot of British and a very little European history. 😛 That sounds really cool, though! I’ll have to look it up, or can you tell me more about it?
Well, but of course there were flappers! There were a lot of flappers. It’s just that the 20s are portrayed as though every single pers…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Ah… so do you like the Singing Revolution in Estonia where the people won their independence through song? 😀
Aw… no flappers? 🙁 But I do like those outfits too. I imagine those skirts and hats coupled with the music of the Jazz Age… Gives off a classy vibe. 😉
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Haha, yes, Gibson Girl fashion is a bit extreme. I much prefer the more sensible WWI era fashion. However, I do enjoy the Gibson Girl cartoons when I can find them. They’re very amusing.
Oh, that collage is sweet. 🙂
@valtmy No, no. I do not like the modern trend of YA fiction where the teenager saves the world just because he…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
An Australian based fantasy makes me think of Ned Kelly for some reason. Maybe you can write about him and his band of outlaws in a fantasy setting. 😂
Yes the hanboks are so pretty. I can do research and stare at the pictures all day… ☺️
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Both rebels and monarchs are heavily romanticised in fiction but recent trends have favoured the underdog. So I have a soft spot for rulers who are trying to do their best to run the country but keep getting impeded by the Standard Rebel Heroes who think they know better despite their youth and inexperience.
Um… since most of my…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@valtmy I love it 😀 I’ve had an idea for an Australian based fantasy for ages, because we have such an unique, but no one ever writes Australian fantasies. I haven’t got around to writing it yet though. I like the idea of the nomadic sea tribes one. That dress is so pretty….
@rochellaine *stares at pictures* Honestly. it looks…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice What do you think of the pre-WWI Gibson Girl fashions? Ah, the Olympics are very interesting. And they were very different from what they are now!!
@valtmy There aren’t many monarchs that interest me greatly for some reason. I’m very fond of Lady Jane Grey and her cousin Edward, but other than that I usually prefer the people wh…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
All my story ideas tend to be fantasy/historical pieces set in Asian cultures. My WIP is based on Korea, another project is on China and I have a story idea that is based on the nomadic sea tribes in Southeast Asia. I want to come up with one for Japan too since I am prolific watcher of anime but I guess I’ll have to see how it…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Hmm… I’m not really sure what period is my favourite because I don’t really study history all that much… Maybe the Age of Enlightenment in the 1700s? Because that period has some of the monarchs I find the most fascinating like Frederick the Great, Maria Theresa and Catherine the Great.
I also like the Prohibition era in the US…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
I have a bunch of favourite periods. I like the Roman occupation of Britain, but that doesn’t count, and the early Middle Ages (1000-1200). But as for modern historical period, I find the French Revolution and the early colonial/exploration days of Australia interesting, but probably my favourite period will always be World War 1,…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@rochellaine (I don’t know why, but I just tagged myself)
My favourite costume she wears is her military one, it looks really pretty, but simple and formal and I’d love a dress like that :D. And her riding habit is really nice as well. But you probably know by now that I’m all for practical and ball gowns just don’t interest me (though in my more…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@valtmy I meant what is considered the modern period of history, from about the 1600s to the present. I don’t like ancient history much, and don’t know much about the middle ages so I was wondering what was your favorite period out of the section of history I study the most.
My favorite period is from about 1912-1970. 😀 But I have a few o…[Read more]
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Haha that’s how I do things as well. For my WIP, the setting is based of historical Korea but considering the tone of my story I guess I can get away with some inaccuracies. But this time I have done research and found pictures of the clothes (called hanboks) that my characters wear in the story.
Um… what do you mean…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Standards for modesty depended a lot on the time of day and the place or event. Ball gowns have always been less modest than everyday clothing. So has swimwear. Women didn’t swim with men during that period, but if you go forward fifty years to the 1890s-1900s, which I know more about, you see that walking dresses covered up to th…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Yeah, it’s really interesting! I’m not into fashion very much, so when I do research on historical periods or write historical fiction I tend to learn about as much of it as I can get by on and leave it at that, but obviously, that approach has its drawbacks 😀
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@rochellaine @seekjustice @ariel-ashira
Hey guys I’m on now. 🙂
Wow this is interesting. I’ve read Regency and Victorian era books before but never really thought about the fashion before.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Hmm…Interesting. Those last two pictures you had have dresses very similar to the ones that I was referring to. I just find it interesting because a lot of her other costumes are exceedingly modest, and then there’s just these random ones which are extremely revealing (like, I certainly wouldn’t be wearing them!). I suppose the…[Read more]
- Load More

