@jane-maree
Active 7 years, 11 months ago- Rank: Knight in Shining Armor
- Total Posts: 909
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dekreel gave you some really great advice. The key to a good fight scene is making us care what happens. If you’re just writing an essay on who killed who or how this guy punches that one, we aren’t going to care. So Dekreel’s right, put emotion and depth into it. Show us what the MC is feeling and thinking, how do they cope with the battle?
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@0-0enyali0-0 @dekreel‘s advice is very solid. Maybe if you have a fight scene that isn’t too long you could post it here for critique.
-
Joy replied to the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@0-0enyali0-0 Did I?? Oh, well, thank you! And you’re welcome! 😉
-
0-0Enyali0-0 replied to the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dekreel That’s really great advice, thank you so much. You nailed it, girl!!
-
Joy replied to the topic Quote That in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@perfectfifths @dragon-snapper
Ok, this one is a lot easier:
“That’s right, I’m talking to you, Sid!”
-
Joy replied to the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@0-0enyali0-0Â Oooh! That’s a good question! Others might have better answers than me, but let me try…
So it sounds to me like you’re describing every detail of what’s going on in the battle by itself. That tends to sound like a school lecture if you describe a dramatic scene from the outside without looking at how the characters are feeling…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
@daeus Exelsior Writing Academy has a nice ring to it, for what it’s worth. 🙂
Hmmm… Kingdom Writing Academy? That goes along with the theme of the website. However, if it’s just going to be on this website, that would be repetition. Overall I like “Excelsior.”
Never heard that name before! Maybe you could have a motto or tagline that te…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
@daeus maybe a mix of both? Like, Excelsior Academy for Excellent Writing? Or Excelsior School of Writing Technique?
-
0-0Enyali0-0 started the topic Writing a Fight Scene in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Hello, my fellow writers! 😀
I had a question. I’m working on a novel right now for Nanowrimo (Shadow’s Haven) and I just finished writing a battle scene (ya know, swords, guns, fists, everything of the sort). However, while writing scenes like that, I tend to get confused with my own writing! When I read over it, it sounds like I didn’t put…[Read more]
-
Snapper and
0-0Enyali0-0 are now friends 8 years, 10 months ago -
0-0Enyali0-0 replied to the topic Why hello, my fellow writers!! in the forum Start HERE 8 years, 10 months ago
@radically-surrendered Haha, I’m not a big fan of Charlotte’s Web, I just like the little piglets… plus I love the color pink, so it all works out XD
And right?! Pet them with one hand, write with the other! Okay, Caspian?! I LOVE IT!!! I have two cats (Rusty and Steel, heh heh) but they’re outdoor cats, so if I wanna write with them I have to…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
@Daeus I like that… not as much as Excelsior though.
Ugh. Decisions decisions.
You know what? I’m going to just throw caution to the winds and say go with Excelsior. I can’t think of anything I like better or even as well as. If you can think of a tagline of sorts to go with it though, so it’s more clear what it means and what it’s for, that…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
@daeus If you’re going to do Write Better Academy, then you have to do ‘Write More Better Academy.’ That’ll sell people, won’t it? 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writing Letters Within a Book in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@shannon I’m sure there are loads of preserved letters from the time period you could get a hold of to study.
-
Daeus replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper @shannon @sam-kowal @kate-flournoy Thanks.
Thanks. The one argument in favor of Excelsior is that people don’t have to know what it means right off the bat. I’m not selling the school, I’m just going to sell courses. (Shannon, Excelsior means “onward”. It connotes perseverance and victory.)
That said, I could think of a few…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Quote That in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@perfectfifths
XD Yes. What’s your quote? -
Snapper replied to the topic Problem in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@joy I’d say to go with the first one, mainly because I’ve heard of a lot of literature where the king has to ‘go on the run’. The first one, to me, sounds more original, and interesting. 😀
-
Snapper replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
And he comes to us for suggestions of names?

Yeah. I have no idea. You’d think a former fantasy writer would have a dictionary replete with such names, but I’ve never had a strong suit for that.
Only things I can think of are:
1) Lamb Technique School… [another loki facepalm please]
2) Writing School of Excellence
3) Lamb…[Read more] -
Sam Kowal replied to the topic School Name? in the forum Publishing & Platform 8 years, 10 months ago
Hi @daeus 😀
Uuuuhhh
You know, I actually really like “Excelsior,” but I kind of agree with @kate-flournoy people might go “huh?”
I have a LONNNGG history with making too-complicated names.
(I once made an imaginary world with over fifty countries, all named things like “Ejapania” and “Exenlite”. I also begged my parents to name one of my…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Of Fairytales and Beta-readers in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 10 months ago
@Alia hmmm… interesting. Okay. Thank you for pointing that out; I’ll have to look at it again.
- Load More
