@jane-maree
Active 7 years, 11 months ago- Rank: Knight in Shining Armor
- Total Posts: 909
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper YAS. THE MORE VILLAINS THE BETTER.
*coughs* Okay, maybe not always… but personally, since I write sprawlingly epic books with dozens of thematic threads and plotlines apiece, I usually have at least two villains. One is usually the head bad guy, but giving him an evil sidekick doesn’t hurt.
-
Joy started the topic Favorite Childhood Book in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
What were y’all’s favorite books to read as kids? Mine were…
- Happy Hollister series by Jerry West
- Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne
- Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline
- American Girl series by Valerie Tripp (my favorite girl was Molly)
What about you guys? 🙂
@dragon-snapper @daughteroftheking @inkling-for-christ @sam-kow…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@daughteroftheking @ingridrd @alia Thank you all! She appreciates it! 😉
-
Daeus replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper Sure, though you shouldn’t just stick two stories in one book. The two villains need to have the same goal or attack the same weakness in the protagonist or do anything else that keeps the story coherent.
-
Elizabeth replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Hi!
Honestly, I don’t think having two villains is a problem. Lots of books, TV shows, and movies get away with it. Often, they come at it through an insubordinate/superior light, where one person is just doing what their told based on what their superior instructs, but I’m sure there are other ways you could go about such a thing.
-
NC Stokes and
Alia are now friends 8 years, 10 months ago -
Snapper replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the input guys! 😀
@kate-flournoy @daeus I tagged Kate because I knew she wrote fantasy…I just didn’t stop to consider how long the fantasy was. 😉 My mistake. Haha.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Tagses!
@daeus @kate-flournoy (Am I allowed to ask you on this one? 😉 ) @sam-kowal @shannon @emily @daughteroftheking @supermonkey42 @ingridrd @andeverone else
-
Snapper started the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Heya Kapeefers. This week seems to be the Snapper Invents Topics week.
Another question:
Can you have two villains? It kinda makes the plotline a little weird I know, but can you have, say, for the first half of a book there be one villain and the other half another villain? Or does that really just mess things up?
-
Ben Powell replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
Hey, @inkling-for-christ . Your google docs link doesn’t appear to be working. It said I didn’t have permission to access the file. Just letting you know. 🙂
-
NC Stokes replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper I am also the wrong person to ask about this, (never mind that you didn’t ask me specifically. You get my advice anyway. Isn’t that great? 😉 ) because my goal flips between 80,000 and 40,000 depending on the day.
It’s 40,000 right now. Take note, there will be a quiz on this later. xD
I would say don’t worry about it too much…[Read more]
-
NC Stokes replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@dekreel :'( I’ll keep praying for her!!
-
Joy replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper Personally, I don’t think it really matters how long it is! The only limit here is your imagination, and, for what it’s worth, I doubt that your imagination could be an impediment to you 😉
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@aratrea 😀 Right. I think, along with the new uncertainty around the humans actually Invading Roshar and whether its right for them to be ruling most of the lands, that’s going to be a major thematic point at least for the first five books.
And Yep, that climax with Dalinar was pretty much equally as shiver-inducing as Kaladin’s… ‘You cannot…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@epicaddie2Â Praying for your cousin! <3
@ingridrd @salome01w4g @daughteroftheking @alia @everyone
I mentioned earlier about my Spanish teacher’s mom’s death. Well today in class she broke down and told us how fearful and anxious she has been as a result. She knows God is there, and she knows He can give peace, but there is something insi…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@inkling-for-christ 😀 Good job! It’s a start
So, my suggestions
Cut out the repeated information) You mention three times I think that she rose up through the ranks and by eighteen was supervisor, and there are a lot of other things repeated over and over. Cut those out
Make your MC gal’s character align with her reputation) Everyone keeps…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
*evil snickering*
Yeah… @Daeus and @Sam-Kowal were right. I’m the wrong person to ask.
-
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@sam-kowal Yeah, Dalinar’s character arc was amazing. Didn’t think Sanderson could top Kaladin’s in WoR, but he pretty much matched it. Yeah, Adolin seemed to get away with that, and I was also looking for some closure on the moral questions being raised regarding the morality of war. I suspect, though, that Sanderson at least plans on continuing…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@aratrea 😀 I know that book!
Oathbringer was pretty mind-blowing, I thought. I was supremely satisfied with Dalinar, although I was getting angry at him in his backstory… the only thing that felt unfinished to me was the (Oathbringer spoilers for anyone randomly reading) Adolin/Sadeas conflict, it felt like it was resolved much too easily, but…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
*sees you tagged @kate-flournoy*
*beams and then collapses*
I think Kate is doing a series that’s going to be, like, 5 million words. Or something like that, she said she had book 1 written and it was 500,000, so…
I don’t think there is a max, at all.
Besides what they can physically publish in a bonding, Brandon Sanderson’s…[Read more]
- Load More
