@jane-maree
Active 7 years, 11 months ago- Rank: Knight in Shining Armor
- Total Posts: 909
-
Joy replied to the topic A Wrinkle In Time in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@emily-d *pursues* *growls ferociously* …Just kidding ;P I see what you’re saying about the weirdness and stuff. Personally, I like it because of the action, and because it was interesting seeing what Meg was learning.
I hear there’s a new movie coming out, so maybe that one will be better. Although, it’s a Disney movie, so… I don’t kn…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic The Show Don't Tell Me Rule in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@inkling-for-christ Yes, that’s exactly it. SHOW the environment, don’t have the narrator TELL the reader what it looks like. Have it be more like you’re looking directly through the narrator into the story, rather than that they’re trying to summarize what they saw for you and tell it back to you
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic A Wrinkle In Time in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@emily-d I really, really liked A Wrinkle In Time
It was thoughtful, meaningful, almost spiritual, and it had a lot of intriguing symbolism and thing s like that. Open respect for Christianity, too, although it did mention the good qualities of other religions.
Plus, Meg and Calvin are really great characters. Meg’s internal conflicts are easy…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic Pride And Prejudice in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@emily-d I got through like a third of the book before I… got bored of it. It’s intriguing, and very well-written, but there’s barely any action, just talking. And talking. And talking. Is suppose if I read the rest of it I would change my mind…… But it’s been awhile, and I think I’d have to start over at the very beginning.
So…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Pride And Prejudice in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@emily-d 😀 Yeah, I have read it
I was at first expecting to completely hate it
But, I actually really like it
Elizabeth is a great character, and the plot is interesting, and Jane Austen’s writing is really sophisticated and intelligent
It’s lacking all of its dragons, and 100% percent of its epic battle scenes, but it’s still quite…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Rook's Book Blurb in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 8 years, 9 months ago
@winter-rose I love the updated one
I think there needs to be something more connecting the first sentence with the second, though.
It would work great early on to have
Another bodyguard would give anything to protect a lady from the Slate family.
BUT Cocky Rook Warren is afraid of girls, or at least that’s what his fellow bodyguards a…
-
Daeus replied to the topic The Show Don't Tell Me Rule in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic The Show Don't Tell Me Rule in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@inkling-for-christ Everything that the course teaches about showing and the techniques to use it more effectively, for example, body language, can be transferred into first person just by changing what the character says, for example
“I walked down the hall slowly, feeling nervous (telling)
would change to
“I shuffled down the hall, my hands…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Show Don't Tell Me Rule in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
All KeePers and Kapeefers alike, I can also seriously recommend this course. Click it. Sign up. Do the thing.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Rook's Book Blurb in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 8 years, 9 months ago
@Winter-rose perfect. 🙂
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic My Writing New Years Resolutions and Goals 2018 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy Those are some pretty awesome goals to tackle! i’m sorry, i don’t think i introduced myself. i must’ve missed that. do you think it’s too late to do it now?
@mariposa i agree; i never really liked Gunsmoke either. Your drawing is amazing, girl!!!
-
Ben Powell replied to the topic Rook's Book Blurb in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 8 years, 9 months ago
@winter-rose I like the new one! It read a lot smoother than the first, and I wasn’t confused. I don’t think you need the extra line; it adds too much info.
I really don’t see anything else I would change. *thumbs up*
-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic Rook's Book Blurb in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 8 years, 9 months ago
@winter-rose Oh, I like this one! Hmm, I think it’s fine with or without “whether it’s by frustrating his ward and…etc.”
How about instead of ending with, “Another bodyguard would give anything to protect a wealthy lady from Telir, but not Rook,” reword it to “Another bodyguard would give anything to protect Amy, but not Rook” (since you’ve…[Read more]
-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic Pride And Prejudice in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@emily-d No, I’m afraid I haven’t read this one either. I have a friend who adores Jane Austen books, but as for myself, I’m not particularly fond of books with a strong romantic slant.
Oh by the way, thank you for introducing me to Sigmund Brouwer! 😃 I received one of his books for Christmas (Robot Wars: Death Trap) and I enjoyed it so much I…[Read more]
-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic My Writing New Years Resolutions and Goals 2018 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@itisastarrynight It’s a book with illustrations. 🙂 It’s a middle-grade book about a scientist who travels back in time to the dinosaur age. I’ve finished all but one of the illustrations for the first book, but I haven’t done any for the second and only one for the third.
Here’s one from the first book:

-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic My Writing New Years Resolutions and Goals 2018 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@jenwriter17 That makes two of us. 😉 You might also like Laramie, Wagon Train, and Cheyenne because they are westerns. It’s kind of funny, for the longest time I did not like westerns at all. The only westerns I’d seen were ones like Gunsmoke and I thought all westerns were like that. Then my mom got Bonanza from the library and I was hooked after…[Read more]
-
Mariposa Aristeo replied to the topic If KP was Edible… in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@supermonkey42 Don’t feel too bad (this gingerbread house was prebuilt). 🙃 However, a couple years ago I made a gingerbread house from the walls up, and although it turned out okay in the end, I had trouble keeping the roof from caving in. 😂
@dragon-snapper Torturing people is fun (and torturing dragons is even more fun). 😜
-
Mariposa Aristeo changed their profile picture 8 years, 9 months ago
-
Mariposa Aristeo's profile was updated 8 years, 9 months ago
-
Daeus replied to the topic The Show Don't Tell Me Rule in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 9 months ago
@inkling-for-christ First person and third person really aren’t that different. Mood setting descriptions, body language, sensations — they all still work. If you have trouble telling in a first person story, it seems you have a telly-y narrator. If your narrator is constantly telling how he/she feels or giving too much information about the…[Read more]
- Load More
