@hannah-olsen
Active 8 years, 2 months ago- Rank: Charismatic Rebel
- Total Posts: 32
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Winter-Rose awesome! Tag me when you stop. I’m planning on going until nine.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus I am having internet trouble again but I’m still planning to write. Tag me when you’re on. Anyone else, feel free to jump in. The more the merrier.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Northerner yeah. It was extremely poorly done, to say the least. I didn’t really have a problem with Tauriel actually— even though I’m a Tolkien purist as well 😛 — but the instant they made her the point of a triangle I lost everything I liked about her. It was just so not worth it. I still really enjoyed a lot of the Hobbit movies— Bilbo…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus good point. Yes. Man’s depravity would more correctly fit in with the eventual message. *goes and changes it in her brainstorming file*
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
Yo, I’m writing till 4:20 if anyone’s interested.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Looks good. It might be clearer to phrase the theme as “man’s state,” but that’s minor.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
So I did this… this homework stuff is awesome. 😀
Theme: Man’s depravity.
Focusing question: what makes man good or evil?
Possible answers:
a. his justification
b. his position
c. his influence
d. his upbringing
e. the state of his heart… and then spin that off into one big question that sets up the rest of the series: what makes a man’s hea…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
So I did this… this homework stuff is awesome. 😀
Theme: Man’s depravity.
Focusing question: what makes man good or evil?
Possible answers:
a. his justification
b. his position
c. his influence
d. his upbringing
e. the state of his heart… and then spin that off into one big question that sets up the rest of the series: what makes a man’s hea…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Sierra-R I’m not familiar with the Phantom of the Opera one, but as for the Hobbit one— *gag* Please. Don’t even get me started. 😛 The number one problem with it was that it was basically a crush that got treated like real love to the exclusion of a love that had been growing for centuries. Now Legolas in that movie had some SERIOUS…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@audrey-caylin I’d like to hear anything you’ve learned from working on a trilogy. this is my first one.
The three themes will be tied together. The personal theme is the meaning of life, which is also the main theme. The two others are supporting themes, so the understanding of atonement and the victory of good lead to an understanding of the…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
I decided this homework stuff is pretty awesome, so I’m doing it myself. I’m hoping to write a trilogy here, so I’m trying to study my overall story theme in order to start plotting the individual books. I came up with these three themes, focusing questions, and answers.
Themes:
1. Good and Evil (FQ: which will ultimately win?)
2. The meaning of…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@emma-flournoy Well, Eugene would take these walks and Headstone would follow him everywhere, but Eugene would always pretend not to notice his existence in order to drive him to fury. It wasn’t really good, but it was interesting.
-
Ingrid replied to the topic "A Couple of Birds" poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
Great poem, @overcomer. I echo what everyone else said, but I noticed a few things in the last stanza.
They flew off refusing me an encore
So rapidly their wings whirred
‘Til they were lost among the trees
And I looked after them feeling absurdMaybe cut out “and” in the last line. I feel like “refusing me an encore” could be first so that i…[Read more]
-
Ingrid replied to the topic "A Couple of Birds" poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
Great poem, @overcomer. I echo what everyone else said, but I noticed a few things in the last stanza.
They flew off refusing me an encore
So rapidly their wings whirred
‘Til they were lost among the trees
And I looked after them feeling absurdMaybe cut out “and” in the last line. I feel like “refusing me an encore” could be first so that i…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@emma-flournoy The ending was probably the worst part for me. Eugene’s positive change was very unconvincing and cliche. I don’t know if there were any redeeming qualities, except perhaps when Headstone and Eugene have that midnight walk thing.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@emma-flournoy Eh, it was decent. I never really liked either Eugene or Headstone though.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Sure, I don’t think I have anything tomorrow.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
Actually @Daeus apparently I can’t make it tonight either. :/ My apologies. Maybe tomorrow? 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic "A Couple of Birds" poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@Overcomer I think it’s adorable and hilarious. It also has some flow problems. The big thing is probably that all of the verses seem to follow a different rhythm, which disconnects them and messes with the ‘oneness’ 😛 of the poem. I would say pick one rhythm and go with it.
-
Daeus replied to the topic "A Couple of Birds" poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 9 years, 8 months ago
@overcomer It’s a nice poem. I did feel that the following lines were a bit bumpy, but otherwise thumbs up.
I should have liked to have learned it
But thus their displeasure incurred
And I looked after them feeling absurd - Load More
