@folith-feolin
Active 2 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Knight in Shining Armor
- Total Posts: 311
-
Otherworldly Historian replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
I think what @whalekeeper and what @mineralizedwritings has said is really good.
For me a lot of my characters draw inspiration from either A.) Historical figures/real people or B.) other fictional charcers or C.) Specific theoretical archetypes. Often times when I struggle with character personalities I return to the scraps of others which make…[Read more]
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Movie Thoughts & Reviews (Anyone) in the forum Film 2 years, 2 months ago
Oh it looks really good! I’ll have to see if it’s free on crunchyroll…
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
I would approach any character as an androgynous person first, and build up a semblance of personality before developing them with gender in mind. Because otherwise you might fall into your default female tropes.
Yes this
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
Just as a tip in general, it helps to think about the roles God made a man or a woman to fill. Woman are the emotionally unstable mothers, while men are the factual, rational fathers who keep the wives from going insane. A man and a woman balance each other. Idk, maybe that isn’t a helpful tip at all, but it sure has helped me to think a…
-
whaley replied to the topic Movie Thoughts & Reviews (Anyone) in the forum Film 2 years, 2 months ago
Highly recommend the anime movie Legend of Hei. Starts off a little slow but the relationship which the movie revolves around is very satisfying. Best watched with friends who appreciate both action scenes and fuzzy feelings :]
-
whaley replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
I would approach any character as an androgynous person first, and build up a semblance of personality before developing them with gender in mind. Because otherwise you might fall into your default female tropes.
It’s like what Esther said, thinking of them as a character rather than a girl/guy.
Literally, with one protagonist of mine, I…[Read more]
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
Ah ok! Wow, I can’t believe it’s been that long already!
-
whaley replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
Looks like yours is Sept. 21, 2022! You’re only one month off from me!!
-
whaley replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
Thank you, and congrats too! 🥳
I go to my page, topics, and scroll down to my first ever post which was on the Start Here forum. ;]
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
woah that means mine must be 2 years too! Where do you see it?
-
whaley posted an update 2 years, 2 months ago
Almost 3000 posts/replies. This means I post 1500 times a year on average, or 125 posts a month.
…I think most of those happened in my first year XD And I guess it’s not that much when you think about it. Small replies to different topics and the like. -
whaley replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
You’re right – personality is soo a part of interpreting mental process. Even if it only covers the surface.
-
whaley replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
That’s crazy! I just checked, and my KP birthday is August 10th… 2 years 🙃
-
whaley replied to the topic WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 2 years, 2 months ago
But Turin and Edwin died.
I’m just telling the story.
lol.
I knooow, I’m sorry for questioning the fabric of the story 😂😅 But I think we can all agree that these stories come from our minds, and sometimes we need to adjust our inventions. I’m not saying you have to change their deaths, I’m pointing out how I as the reader feel a…[Read more]
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
Oh, and does he look cocky? You mention his being prideful, is it obvious by looking at him? I love drawing character with a slight smirk but I want to make sure that is in line with his character if I do lol
-
MineralizedWritings replied to the topic Art Challenge! in the forum Art 2 years, 2 months ago
oh ok this sounds cool!
I think I’ll draw him as a prince, could you describe his hair and features a little more? I mean I can use creative liberties, but like how long is his hair?
Also, would you describe him as being a little bit rough around the edges prince or really trim and neat?
For instance, Aragorn is a king that…[Read more]
-
whaley replied to the topic WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 2 years, 2 months ago
I do feel uncertain about killing off Edwin and Turin. I understand Edwin, but both guys? It feels like half the cast has died and there isn’t much left in terms of motivation for the reader.
Reading the earlier chapters, I expected Aaron and Turin to develop a friendship which would become a staple of the book until at least…[Read more]
-
whaley replied to the topic WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 2 years, 2 months ago
These are guys I can remember at the moment. (Sorry if any people didn’t want to be tagged)
@calyhuge @thearcaneaxiom @folith-feolin @otherworldlyhistorian
Ellette would love some feedback on the scene above, It is about a male character in grief, and it’s mostly troubleshooting at this point.
-
whaley replied to the topic Writing Characters of the Opposite Gender in the forum General Writing Discussions 2 years, 2 months ago
Definitely an important topic. I think other people will benefit from this topic more than me because my approach to emotions is mixed (if we’re talking male vs female mindsets) whenever I feel insecure in a given situation. Linus mentioned on another topic that he views emotions as problems to solve, and that resounds with me. I am still more…[Read more]
-
whaley replied to the topic WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 2 years, 2 months ago
Like I don’t just feel the emotions by themselves, I deal with them analytically.
- Load More
