@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Titles and endings. Also middles, plots, characters, and sometimes even beginnings. And writing instead of staring out the window. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
*smacks lips* Delicious!
Actually, I was flattered you’d attribute such a deep thought to me. 😉 😛 -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Yes. @Daeus said it all. 😛
Also getting caught up reading articles I pulled up so I could check the reality of something I just wrote… or checking my dad’s Twitter account… or looking up images for a castle or a sword or a really cool costume. Anything cool and interesting, in fact. 😛
-
Daeus replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Reading bookbub articles, refreshing the helping writers become authors page, and doing this.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, I took the liberty to put words in your mouth. Hopefully they tasted good.
-
Sarah Spradlin changed their profile picture 10 years, 9 months ago
-
Sarah Spradlin started the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey folks!
So I’m curious: what are the brick walls that you tend to run into while you’re writing or trying to be a writer? Big or small, ridiculous or serious, I want to know!
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Haha @writefury! Our families are often pulled into understanding our writerly theroies and ideas arn’t they?
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I can’t really pinpoint a time frame in which I write the most. Recently it’s come at random. With work and family routines, I’d probably say in the evening.
Or when I suddenly get the most ingenious idea I’ve had in a while and then I have to write it out that very moment! Even if it’s the middle of the night 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@Bluejay— great so far! The only thing I would say is watch out for subject-openers— every sentence in your beginning paragraph starts with the subject, and that can get to sounding a little odd. You might try merging some of those sentences together just to vary the rhythm.
@Daeus… well, that’s not quite exactly what I was saying… you…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
To interpret Kate into modern english, what she said is to envelop yourself in poetry until it takes over your brain and you begin to think poetically. Poetry is really a great foundation for prose. Seriously. Get a book on poetry (The Roar On The Other Side) and some poetry books. Find a corner and read. It will be the most bestistest…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – What do you think of this as a starting?
A single light glowed from a window and cast strange and ghostly shapes on the empty street outside. The constant flickering of the candle light displayed that the person in the room moved about regularly. The footsteps were muffled by a thick rug that warmed the floor. Robes swayed back…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Alright! England here I come. *fingers crossed* Hope it works. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey, that’s a really fun story idea! *applauds* Go for it— I’m behind you all the way. 😀
Yes, I like making up little chill-inducing lines like that. You might say it’s a hobby. 😉
So glad I was able to help!
-
Kate Flournoy and
BlueJay are now friends 10 years, 9 months ago -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
This is one other story idea I have that I haven’t been able to get to work. (have you heard of the nursery rhyme ‘Little Jack Horner?’)
Little Jack Horner was a real boy and lived in the Abbey of Glastonbury during the reign of Henry VIII. The abbot sent the deed of the abbey to the king concealed…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Oh, and as for suggestions, how about this?
Write a medieval story from the perspective of a highly unpopular king’s poison-checker.
Write a western from the perspective of the villain’s pet horned toad who lives in the pocket of his master’s vest.
Write a futuristic story from the perspective of the security cameras all over the city— better…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Actually @bluejay, my problem is not being unable to think of story ideas, but just the opposite! I see story ideas everywhere— in faces, in old buildings, in trees, in clouds, in poems, in blobs of paint stuck on a canvas. As @Daeus said, I
let my brain particles loose to search the universe for any possibilities and then have them come back…
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@daeus – Grrrrr. My mind must be very lazy. I never think of anything worth writing. I have found a book called ‘A Step in the Write Direction, 999+ ideas for creative writing.’ by Sandra Lynn. It is quite helpful, but right know I really don’t know what to write about. Arrrrggghhhh!!! Any suggestions are welcome… 😀
-
Daeus replied to the topic This Poet Would Love Your Critiques in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Steal anything you want unless I claim it.
I am looking forward to Great Poem 2 – The Rise of the Revision
- Load More
