@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Daeus replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
On a slightly different note, I have found it fascinating how much similarity there is in the work of God and the work of a writer. For instance, you all know about how your character is striving for something that he wants, but what is most important is what he needs and his blind pursuit of what he wants ends up making everything go wrong and…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I love the books of Ruth and Esther. Two women who did what God wanted and were blessed because of it. I think it should be so encouraging, at least to females, to stand firm in your faith and do the right thing. Even if the outcome might kill you, (Esther going before the king) or makes you step outside your comfort zone (Ruth leaving her…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I agree with Kate on the Joseph story. It’s the one that would be the most fun to write at least. And there’s actually an amazing redemption for Judah in that story. At the beginning, he’s so desperate for his father’s love, desperate to be the favorite, that he goes to the length of selling Joseph. But then the favoritism shifts to Benjamin. And…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
This is a topic I think we can carry along for quite some time. There really is no limit to it.
I have to think that just the basic gospel story is the best it gets, but good stuff is just everywhere in the Bible.
I have to agree that Job is just a great book, tough a bit tricky at times. And the psalms? What christian can’t relate to…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The Best Book Ever in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Job. Job, and the story of Joseph, from a literary standpoint. But there are thousands (not exaggerating) of stories and sub-stories that I find immensely fascinating.
And of course, the overall story— a world taken from perfection to corruption to destruction to oppression to repentance and redemption. It’s the most drastic scale of…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Short Story by JadaMae in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey Jada, I liked it! Well done— only one thing I would suggest. Seeing as Andrew is pretty central to the story, I would have liked a little more of him in there. As it is, he’s not really woven irreplaceably into the cloth of the story. If you took him out, the story would still have meaning in and of itself. Helen and Dean could be having…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Short Story by JadaMae in the forum Short Story Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey Jada, I liked it! Well done— only one thing I would suggest. Seeing as Andrew is pretty central to the story, I would have liked a little more of him in there. As it is, he’s not really woven irreplaceably into the cloth of the story. If you took him out, the story would still have meaning in and of itself. Helen and Dean could be having…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
When I can, really. I’m not a beacon of scheduled perfection. But in NaNoWriMo I had an hour sometime in the morning and an hour sometime in the evening so I could break it up a little.
-
Rosey Mucklestone posted an update 10 years, 9 months ago
@ivy-rose Is your family going to the Christian Heritage homeschool conference in April? We are, so if you were it would be fun to meet there. 🙂
-
Ivy Rose replied to the topic When Do You Write? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
1,600 is awesome, Kate! And 4,600 is amazing or one day…even if it is a long chapter. 🙂
For me…it definitely depends on the day, but I never let myself do any less than 500 words and have done as much as 3000 in those 3 hours. My average is about 1,500.
-
Greta replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Hahaha @kate-flournoy
-
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, those characters are really fun to write; I just get really annoyed with her in the story. 😛 @kate-flournoy
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Ah, but those characters are so fun to write, @gretald!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
If you’ve ever started for one portion of the house with a vague idea that you were supposed to be getting a snack, then half an hour later looked up to find yourself on the complete opposite side of the house with a monkey wrench, a bag of cheese, and the laundry-basket… and you’re like “Huh? How did I just—?”…
… you know you’re a…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Cool @rolena-hatfield! I love the name Miret. 🙂
Thanks! Madam Munch really is quite the character, and she is a bit like a mouse @kate-flournoy. 😛 She’s one of those characters who’s supposed to get you really annoyed, so I’d say she’s probably one of my least favorite characters in the novel.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – I love it when Anna recites, but I also like in the 2nd one when Emiline reads it aloud in class. And when she acts in Mary, Queen of Scots too. 😀
But my favourite part in the movie is with the fireworks. We once had a pet lamb in the house (with a nappy on :P) and she had fallen asleep at our feet while we were watching it and…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@rolena-hatfield – I have not read the highwayman but I’ve heard Anne recite it. It sounds a very moving poem. We have number 3 but I haven’t watched it yet. I can’t wait though.
I sometimes think I’m very much like Anne (with an E 😀 ). A writer, an actress (and very Dramatic) and I’m always (at least when I was younger than I am now) in…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Block. in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
Yes @rolena-hatfield and @bluejay! I love those movies, and yes, I have read the Highwayman. Lovely— the rhythm for that one is absolutely… splendiferous.
Ah… to hear Anne reciting The Lady of Shalott… drama. Pure drama.
Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
little breezes dusk and shiver,
thro’ the wave that runs for ever,
by the island in…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Names in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
She sounds like a mouse. 😉 😀
-
Sarah Spradlin replied to the topic Name That Brick Wall– What Makes Writing Hard? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
lol! I hear that Pinterest/Facebook/whatever-isn’t-writing time-eater. That’s me all the time. Seriously. All the time. xD
- Load More

@writefury Funny you should mention that. 🙂 We’ve gone every year for the past 5 years. I don’t think we’ve decided for certain about this year, but I highly suspect that we will go. If we do, I’ll shoot you an email and figure out a time/place to meet in that massive church. That would be so fun!!!
Awesome! 😀 My fam is actually be running a booth for an organization, so we’d probably be kind of easy to find. 😉
@writefury Perfect! That’ll give me a chance to find you admits the masses of people! 🙂 I’ll be sure to let you know if we are going or not.