@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Haha… yes, the rug. 😛 The description was definitely overboard for a great part of the book. But oh boy was it rich! 😛
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy Heeeey! Within the Palace Gates! We just finished that as a school read-aloud in our family. 😀 It was pretty good. I had that same problem you mentioned with it sort of niggling the whole way through. But, hey, at least they didn’t outrightly change anything the Bible said. that was all just expanding on it.
That, and I didn’t like…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I’m glad it was helpful @Rolena-Hatfield! 🙂
As for the mentor question, I’ve actually not studied that much… I’ll get back to you if I come up with any earthshaking conclusions. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I’m glad it was helpful @Rolena-Hatfield! 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I love the Scarlet Pimpernel books too, @sarah-h! And I actually thought the romance was pretty well done, compared to a lot of other books.
I’ve also read Within the Palace Gates, and I did enjoy it— but I have a little bit of a personal problem with authors taking a Biblical story and filling it in with their imagination. I’m sure it’s not…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh yes, all the time. 😉
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Anything by Lois Walfrid Johnson is great, though I think Viking Quest is my favorite. And I’ll back up @sarah-h on the Zion Covenant and Zion Chronicles, though I had to wait for a bit until I was old enough to read the second one in the Chronicles.
A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Neilsen (a family separated by the Berlin wall. Pretty…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Algorithm.
Does anyone else get words stuck in their heads? A lot of the time it’s words that I don’t know. Algorithm was stuck in my head for a few days before I actually looked it up. 😛 -
Daeus replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Douglas bond has a trilogy on the covenanters. I wouldn’t call him an amazing author, but he is good. I’ve never read that trilogy myself, but I have read one of his other books.
I thought I’d throw in an endorsement for The Hidden Hand here. Great book.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
What? 😛
-
Rolena Hatfield replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Ah-ha! @kate-flournoy! This is why I love the forum! Your statement Show us several times she sees the Bible, and almost picks it up, then decides against it. I think is what I was missing. (And yes this is Katty’s story 🙂 lovely guess!) I did show her once, shying away from her Dad’s open Bible, but I don’t think that was quite enough to fuel…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Pearl Maiden by H. Rider Haggard. The Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, and The Lantern Bearers, all by Rosemary Sutcliff. Those last three are one hundred percent fantastic.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Flame of Resistance by Tracy Groot
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Hostage Lands by Douglas Bond, The Red Keep by Allen French, Rolf and the Viking Bow by Allen French, Men of Iron by Howard Pyle, The Black Arrow by Robert L. Stevenson, Scottish Chiefs, by Jane Porter, Beyond Sing the Woods by Trygve Gulbranssen, The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas, The Edge on the Sword by…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Well there are two types of historical fiction. There is historical fiction which takes place in a certain era at a certain place and helps you get a bit of a feel for what it might have been like, but most of the plot is based on personal conflicts not historical conflicts. I have read many good books like this. There is nothing inferior about…[Read more]
-
Ivy Rose started the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Historical Fiction is my absolute favorite genre to read. I’m always on the lookout for new books, so if you have a Historical Fiction favorite, I’d love to hear about it!
Here are a few of my favorites:
A Penny Parcel by Avery E. Hitch
Journey to the Cross, also by Avery
Rifles for Waite by Harold Keith
A Different Kind of Courage by Sarah…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
As soon as I come up with a new character, I get this mental image in my mind. It is not really a photograph, but it is a very rough painting, blurry, more of an outline. It is hard to explain. There is also a sort of emotion that I feel in each character. I can tell if that feeling is significantly different from the one I sense for another…
-
Daeus replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
You forced me to actually think through how I go about characterization. I discovered that I have a somewhat strange system. What it really comes down to is impulsive consistency. Most of the time I almost surprise myself when I introduce a new character. The idea generally pops into my mind shortly before I write them. I think though, that…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yes, that sounds far more pleasant.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Christianity in Fiction in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
ask yourself what drove her to do it after all. Maybe she picked it up looking for encouragement or justification. If that was the case, you could have it so she didn’t find the encouraging verses, but the verses she really needed to read.
Yeah that. Just forget whatever I said. I’ll see if I can come up with any more points too, only without g…[Read more]
- Load More
