@faithdk
Active 7 years, 5 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
You were right @writefury. It is the fear of long words. (Thank you Google. 🙂 ) I like your idea too @deaus
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
If that’s what it is, I definitely have it!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Let me take a guess at hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia. Does it mean the fear of oversized four footed hippopotami?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
YES. All of the above. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh good grief, you guys make me shudder! Where do you find these terrible tongue twisters?!?! 😛 😛 😛
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yes! Yes! Yes! Normally I hate maths (I have a soon to be brother-in-law who can’t understand how I can dislike it) but Nat makes me wish that I had a better brain and I sometimes feel like learning Latin and Greek too. 🙂
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
I have no idea what they do as I’m Australian not New Zealand. I found it in a book and loved it ever since. 😛
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
And there’s nothing like that sort of story to make math exciting. I always finish and I’m like “Ah! Now where’s my algebra book?” XD
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia – what a word! What does it mean? 🙂
I believe it’s the irrational fear of large words. Obviously invented by some cruel person. XD
And that hill name… wow. I got lost halfway through. You guys have some sort of nickname for it, right? -
BlueJay replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
It’s a great book. It is written so well that it is interesting and yet it still has a great lot of history in it.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@gretald Glad to be of help. 😛 I’d take into consideration one of @kate-flournoy‘s points as well when your starting out. The bit about contradictions is definitely something to work with. Usually having a fish-out-of-water concept to work with starts off the inspiration quite a bit.
Cressida Cowell came up with Hiccup as “The Viking Who Was…[Read more] -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@gretad Glad to be of help. 😛 I’d take into consideration one of @kate-flournoy‘s points as well when your starting out. The bit about contradictions is definitely something to work with. Usually having a fish-out-of-water concept to work with starts off the inspiration quite a bit.
Cressida Cowell came up with Hiccup as “The Viking Who Was…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
By the way, this is the name of a hill in New Zealand. Have fun trying to say it –
taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu 😀 And for another interesting name, a town in France has the shortest name – Y. 😛 -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
YES! I totally forgot Carry on Mr. Bowditch. That one is amazing. I’ve reread it like 3 times. 😛
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia – what a word! What does it mean? 🙂
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Yay!!!. I read it to my eldest sister and had to stop so many times cause I was laughing too hard. (And there was the occasional teary scene) 😛
-
Greta replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
@Daeus, Yes! Doesn’t Tolkien use the word discombobulated? Or maybe I’m thinking of confusticated. 🙂
Some of my personal favorites are pseudonym (I just love that way it sounds) and hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (I think I spelled that right…).
-
Greta replied to the topic Help with Characterization! in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone! Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. 🙂
Thank you all for your advise! @writefury, I haven’t done much of anything yet…I guess I didn’t know where to start (but I did come up with the MC’s name, which is a start 🙂 ).
@hannah-krynicki, that’s a great idea! I’ll have to try that.
@kate-flournoy and @daeus, I will have to refer back…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Oh yes! Carry on Mr. Bowditch— that’s one of my favorites as well. 🙂
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Your Favorite Historical Fiction in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 8 months ago
Promise of Zion Series by Robert Elmer
The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
Freedom’s Sword by Annie S. Swan
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
How They Kept the Faith by Grace Raymond
Wilderness Wife by Etta Degering - Load More
