@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic World Building in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 7 months ago
Well, let’s see if I can be a tad more constructive, though daydreaming can certainly do a lot. 😉
I would say the first thing to establish about a world is where it came from— and since we’re Christian writers, the answer to that question will probably always be ‘From the creator’. Our God figure. The next thing is to establish the people’s…[Read more]
-
BlueJay and
Tatiana are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Daeus replied to the topic World Building in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 7 months ago
@kate-flournoy In all honesty, it was probably more fun than helpful, but you highlighted the huge importance of setting in constructing plot, which I normally think of as less important.
So basically, I just need 20hrs to daydream. Hmm. I think I can handle that.
-
BlueJay and
Haley Long are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic World Building in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 7 months ago
Here I am, finally @Daeus! I’ve been drooling over this topic all morning. Permission to rant!!!!!!! It doesn’t get any better than this!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, first things first. Did I say Enlightenment? *drops head wearily in hand, rubs face with rigid fingers* I did, didn’t I? No excuse for that— an apology will have to do. 😛 I meant during the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy and
Rolena Hatfield are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
BlueJay and
Rolena Hatfield are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Ingrid and
Kate Flournoy are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Ingrid and
Sarah Spradlin are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Published (well, self-published, but still…) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
For anyone interested, you can now find Rose of Prophecy for free on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BEGXNWU
-
BlueJay replied to the topic When is enough enough? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Exactly what I was saying @Daeus. It all depends on the targeted audience. 😀
-
BlueJay and
Ivy Rose are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
BlueJay and
Daeus are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Daeus replied to the topic World Building in the forum Fantasy 10 years, 7 months ago
Aw cum on @kate-flournoy, that was just getting good.
By the way, even though this has nothing to do with the subject, you said
if the religion is anything like Roman Catholicism during the Enlightenment arts will be very much frowned upon.
I thought the roman catholic church was always highly icon oriented. *whimper random cute animal face…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic When is enough enough? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Perhaps the largest factor is what is the purpose of the torture scene. If it is for historical purposes or if it is the culmination of all the struggles your protagonist has been facing, I would say go into more of the details. If it is for setting the character of the villain or keeping your protagonist from reaching his immediate goal, I would…[Read more]
-
BlueJay and
Ingrid are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
BlueJay and
Hannah C are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When is enough enough? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Oh, and by the way @hope— nauseousness would actually be nausea… 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic When is enough enough? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Yikes— I don’t blame him so much anymore, @hope! 😛
But you’re right— that scene is very well handled. Another good way to do it. Just go quickly— you don’t have to linger over it. Of course, if it was an interrogation it would have to be broken up with dialogue and so would take a little longer, but you can still go fairly quickly over the…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic When is enough enough? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
It is tricky. Normally I stick with general description mixed with emotions, thoughts, and a general haze of pain. During one scene where a character is beaten, I mention the first few blows and then there is just a few lines about a haze of pain and blows on every side…well, it’s easier to just copy it (this is part of the reason Cyth isn’t…[Read more]
- Load More
