@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic MBTI in the forum Characters 10 years, 7 months ago
Hahaha… guess what guys, I just found out that one of my villains is an ESTP…
… and so is an incredibly vain pygmy dragon who belongs to one of my MC’s (Arianwen, @writefury— from the ‘Inter-genre Island’ thread) as a pet.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
Oh yes, Boromir, definitely. Both sacrificial and redemptive.
Come to think of it, Thorin’s death as well, @hope, though in the movie. The one in the book wasn’t all that impressive.
Thorin’s death was neither sacrificial nor redemptive, and so it was more bitter than, say, Sydney Carton’s death in A Tale of Two Cities, but it worked because he…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
The death of Boromir was one of my favorite chapters in TLOTR. I also just read Dreamlander recently and that book has perhaps the most heart-wrenching death I’ve ever read. It’s got to compete with ATOTC though, so it’s real close.
I’d say there are three main ways to do a tragic death:
1. The sacrificial death – where one character dies for…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
*huddles down and hides face in hands, whimpering and sobbing and clutching dark hair with long white fingers* I’m gonna cry.
I am so gonna cry.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
@kate-flournoy Yes, I’m afraid it is. I struggled with it for a bit, but it really is the best (and most traumatizing choice). I’m afraid most of my family is thinking I’m a bit weird because I’ve been talking about how I have to kill someone in my story and they’re all like ‘why?’ So now I’m working on making it as traumatic for everyone else as possible.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
@kate-flournoy Yes, I’m afraid it is. I struggled with it for a bit, but it really is the best (and most traumatizing choice). I’m afraid most of my family is thinking I’m a bit weird because I’ve been talking about how I have to kill someone in my story and they’re all like ‘why?’
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
*Cries dutifully, then realizes who you were referring to @writefury and starts bawling in earnest*
Yes. That death. Totally that death. It’s not just that he sacrificed his life, either— he sacrificed his reputation. See @hope, the MC had just been framed for a crime he didn’t commit and no one could prove he hadn’t committed it. So the MC’s…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
*Cries dutifully, then realizes who you were referring to @writefury and starts bawling in earnest*
Yes. That death. Totally that death. It’s not just that he sacrificed his life, either— he sacrificed his reputation. See @hope, the MC had just been framed for a crime he didn’t commit and no one could prove he hadn’t committed it. So the MC’s…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I like that. I would totally read that @writefury. Keep me on your list for potential beta readers— again, can’t promise anything because my schedule—correction: my LIFE is so unpredictable. But keep me on your list. 😀
Well, as for Quinn, the usual hardships for a slave— especially the ‘taking orders unconditionally’ bit, which will…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone and
Daeus are now friends 10 years, 7 months ago -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 7 months ago
@kate-flournoy
Cool! That’s actually somewhat along the lines of where I was going with Finnian, so that’s good. 😉*covers Quinn’s ears* YES. Any… *ahem* suggestions for Quinn’s hardships? 😛
Okay, so my brother pointed out that it would be hard to have the ticking-time-bomb element be the colony’s lack of food without some sort of dip…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic er….hello sweetie in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 7 months ago
@zoe-wingfeather
Yeah, it’s kinda new for me having it short. But it’s really fun. 🙂
So, what’s your favorite thing to write? I’m gonna go out on a limb and say fanfic is one of them… 😉 -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic MBTI in the forum Characters 10 years, 7 months ago
This is really weird. INFJs are supposed to be the rarest type, but they make up most of the people I know.
ENTJ, @hope? Cool! I didn’t think I knew any ENTJs. 😛 -
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
1. A spoilery death in Horatio Hornblower (KATE, COME CRY WITH ME)
2. Again, sacrifice. Literally the last thing on this character’s mind was himself. He was dying and he knew it, but was trying to not make a big deal out of it for his friend’s sake. He was his old, cheerful self right up to the end. *deep, calming breath* So, sacrifice,…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
1. Have you heard of/read/seen the Divergent series? They were OK books. In the last book, though, a character dies, and that’s probably the saddest death I’ve read in a book. I was literally bawling.
2. I think what made it so sad was that this character sacrificed her life so that her brother wouldn’t die. If the character dies for a noble…[Read more] -
Hope Ann started the topic Sorrow and Death in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 7 months ago
I think there was a topic about this sometime in the past, but I’m not sure where it is. Basically, I’ve just one quick questions. You see, I’m killing a character and it’s going to be very sad for me so I’m determined to make it as sad as I can for my readers too. And the questions are these:
1. What one or two book (or movie) deaths are the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 7 months ago
Welllll… the first thing that comes to mind is a little odd, and taking Finnian a bit further than you were perhaps planning. It would involve following two story lines at once, but it’s the first thing that came to mind so I’ll share it.
Quinn gets captured by the pirates and is forced into slavery or something, and Finnian tries to find him…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Limericks in the forum Poetry 10 years, 7 months ago
Oh boy that made me laugh @writefury! Poor guy… 😀 😛 😉
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 7 months ago
Okay… *cpr on topic*
So I’m plotting this one right now and I think I might know where I’m going. (Which I didn’t for the longest time because there were a million different directions I could take it.)
The questions I need you guys for are: Where would you expect this to go from here? And what would you be disappointed if I didn’t do? -
Ingrid replied to the topic MBTI in the forum Characters 10 years, 7 months ago
I’m an INFJ-A…how interesting.
- Load More
