@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus drat.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy Nah, dreams don’t have many rules.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@bluejay you could write a story about a girl who finds a huge golden conch on the beach and takes it home, only to realize during the night that it’s whispering to her. And when she puts it to her ear, she discovers that this shell belonged to the queen of the Lost city of Atlantis… and wants to tell her the story of its destruction.
I’m…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Hehee… I gave you the perfect excuse in baking you that cookie, didn’t I @Daeus?
If we’re talking excuses here, I was struggling my way through a present tense dream sequence. Does that count for anything? 😛 -
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy Well I had to completely rewrite a scene, but I got 594 words done. Of course, we all know I would have gotten 1,846 words except that I was too busy nibbling on my eternal cookie and I couldn’t keep concentrated.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Okay @Daeus, I got 870 words edited. Not too bad. What did you get?
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@bluejay You can have half of my cookie. It’s everlasting, so it won’t matter.
I’m sure you’ll think up something soon. Maybe try reading a novel. I get all sorts of ideas reading other people’s writing.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*stares hard at everlasting cookie*
I just thought I’d let you know @daeus, I’m not writing simply because I have run out of ideas. Momentarily, of course. 🙂 Hopefully it won’t be long before I’m back though.
*continues staring at everlasting cookies. Mouth starts drooling* -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Daeus yup. Here goes. See ya then.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy As I nibble on my everlasting cookie, I remember that I should be writing now. Can you go till 9?
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I’m assuming that clinchers are catchy first sentences. If so, I really enjoy them. I love picking up a book just to see what the first sentence says. Rick Riordan has some of the best first sentences. Like ‘The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school.’ But, though…[Read more]
-
Hannah Olsen and
Hannah A. Krynicki are now friends 10 years, 4 months ago
-
Hannah Olsen changed their profile picture 10 years, 4 months ago
-
Hannah Olsen replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I love what everyone has been saying so far! I also noticed how Orwell didn’t put forward his own beliefs/views but seems like he’s allowing the reader to make up his/her own mind, which I think is good.
I’m the type of reader who always looks for the humor in a book, even if it’s one of the most serious novels ever written. I always search for…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Do you mean hooks @gretald? That’s what I’ve always heard them called (though there are many names for everything). You mean some sort of exciting first line/paragraph that really catches people’s attention, I assume.
I guess I’m not obsessed with them, since, of the two books I’ve ever written, my novella started off with a setting description…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy Oh! I’ve never read Pride and Prejudice, so I can’t judge that one, but the opening of Northanger Abbey is pretty dull. It’s a fantastic book, though (except for the beginning). 🙂
I love clinchers, though I must admit I’ve never heard them called that. But if you ever have to step DOWN from a clincher to reach reality, you’ve gon…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Some of the best authors (like Jane Austen) begin their novels horribly…
What?! @gretald I think the beginning of Pride and Prejudice is one of the very best opening sentences of all time! ‘It is universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife’— what’s left to be desired? 😛
Oh well. To…[Read more] -
Greta started the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Is anyone else obsessed with writing good clinchers (besides @ingridrd 😉 )? The first thing I do when I get a new book is read the clincher sentence and judge whether it’s a good clincher or a bad one. Does anyone else do this? Or is it just me?
Also, while we’re on the topic of clinchers, how important do you think they are? Do you think…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Oh— and here’s your cookie. *hands you cookie* I doesn’t look like much, but looks can be deceiving. 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Ha! You need to take math again
What???????? What did I say? What did I do @Daeus? 😛 I didn’t think my horrible mathematical abilities were that obvious…
- Load More
