@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Greta replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga Fandom SPOILERS (Also, endings again) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Hope It depends on how much is implied and what is being implied. The end of The Giver was implied, but I liked it because the author left it open enough for the reader to decide what happened.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga Fandom SPOILERS (Also, endings again) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I like them if they force me to think. Otherwise they just annoy me.
-
Hope Ann started the topic Wingfeather Saga Fandom SPOILERS (Also, endings again) in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
So…a place to talk about the Wingfeather Saga. Mainly it’s ending. @zoe-wingfeather 😉
I thought the ending was good, I just wish there had been an epilogue so that we could have really found out what happened instead of just being left with the hints of what probably did happen.
What do you guys think about endings that just imply what…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@gretald There’s lots of new characters in the second series. Percy is one of seven characters, so he’s in it (starting with the next book) but not as much. As to are they worth reading…I’m glad I read them once, and they are funny and well written, but I’ll probably not read them again mainly because they’re so long.
I think…I don’t know.…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@winter-rose Ohh, yes. The second Wingfeather Saga book hook (no rhyme intended) wasn’t terrific.
@hope I read the first book in the second series, and, while it was good, it just wasn’t Percy Jackson. I also felt like some of the action was–how do I say this–kind of…forced, if that makes sense?Also, since Riordan isn’t a Christian, the l…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Plot twists in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Hey, this is an awesome topic @Daeus. Thanks so much for starting it.
Your theory is perfectly accurate— that’s a really good way to look at it. A plot-twist is when you reach the door at the end of the tunnel and it slams in your face, but a second door opens to your right. You’re still moving forward, but the playing field has changed.Oh…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Animal Farm in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@overcomer Hey, I love that pun!
So we are officially reading through at a pace of two chapters a week, but you can read ahead if you want. All I ask is that you don’t give away any spoilers. Right now we are discussing the first two chapters, but we will be starting the next two on Monday.
-
Daeus started the topic Plot twists in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
I don’t think we’ve had much talk about this yet, and it’s time we did. This comes (not at all coincidentally) after Mrs. Wieland’s recent post “The #1 tip for writing books readers can’t put down” Though I loved this post, after reading it I was a little confused. I knew that what she was saying was true, but I wasn’t quite sure how I should…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@kate-flournoy, @hannah-c, @bluejay Just wanted to let you know that I probably won’t be able to make it tonight. I’ll try to join in if I can though.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@winter-rose Yes, that’s the one I was thinking of, but I feel like there was another one too. Oh, well. The Dreamlander opening was awsome.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@gretald I really enjoyed Magnus Chase, though it was different. The Norse gods aren’t quite as polished as the Greek ones. 😉 I did read Heroes of Olympus. The writing was good, but I felt like it was too long. So many things happened, but it took forever to get somewhere. Also, since Riordan isn’t a Christian, the lifestyle and morals of minor…[Read more]
-
Greta replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@Hope Yeah, he is a great writer. 🙂 Was Magnus Chase good? Have you read the second Percy Jackson series, and if so, did you like it?
@zoe-wingfeather I know, right?!?! -
Hope Ann replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Thanks @wordfitlyspoken and @everyone-else-who-I’m-too-lazy-to-tag. 😉
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@gretald Ah yes, Percy Jackson. I just finished reading The Hidden Oracles and I liked Magnus Chase too, but I still think Percy is my favorite. Rick Riordan is such a good writer…It’s just too bad he’s not a Christian writer. 😉
-
Greta replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@zoe-wingfeather I’m almost finished. I haven’t had time to read because of school, but I’d love to read your fan fiction after I’ve finished the book!!! 🙂
-
Greta replied to the topic Clinchers in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
Interesting. “Clinchers” is what my English teacher always called them, but I guess we’ll go with “hooks.” 😉
That can work, but it can easily lead to what I call POV telling (e.g. “I just couldn’t believe she had died. Why did I have to go through this!” *cough cough* Telling.)
@Daeus Ohh, yes! Great point. I remember my first book I tried…[Read more]
-
Reagan Ramm replied to the topic Writing Course in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
All great ideas! I may need to create a poll for this question. Haha!
-
Greta and
Karina Sanchez are now friends 10 years, 4 months ago -
Hope Ann replied to the topic NOT Knights of Light in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
@the-happy-bookaholic Hmm, yes. Lying works too. 😉 I always get those two mixed up.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Writer's Corner in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 4 months ago
*munches happily on everlasting cookie*
@kate-flournoy Thanks for the idea. I shall lock it in my brain and stew on it. I have a feeling that something will come of it.
*still munches on everlasting cookie*
@daeus, maybe I should go and continue reading The Hobbit. That’s a novel alright. The chapters are sooooooo long. 🙂
*I do love everlasting…[Read more] - Load More
