@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@Daeus I have two suggestions, both series,though so they could be a bit long. The Ilyon Chronicles my Jaye L Knight are other world, non-magical fantasy with a very strong faith theme. A little violent at times and they’re directed at late teens up. The first book is Resistance.
Another series of the Blades of Aktar by Tricia Mingerink. She takes…[Read more] -
Anna Brie replied to the topic The Next Book Choosing in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Since I’m not doing it this month, do the Hobbit.
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Movies in the forum Film 10 years, 1 month ago
@clairec It was made a year ago. And no, the maiden was a friend of ours. Yes, Toby Jay is my brother and technically my user name as nothing to do with him. But it’s a bit of a long story. 😉 My sister made all of the costumes for the movie. She’s in the middle of editing another movie this year and I play the maiden in that one. (I’ll post the…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
And finally, because I want a certain story but can’t find anything like it for the life of me.
Yeeeeess. That’s also a big one.
-
Lightningmouse replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Oh, yes, why I write. 🙂 Let’s see.
I write because I’ve always loved stories. Books, movies, and TV shows, and the plots and characters and worlds and <3
I write because I have something to say about/and or want to learn something more about something
Because I can teach about God and glorify Him through it.
And finally, because I want a certain…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper I write for two reasons. 1. I’ve so many stories in my head and they I want to share them so everyone else can enjoy them too. 2. I want to inspire others in the Lord, and for me writing is the way I can do that. Stories have power, and I want to use that power for good.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Ooh, let’s see. I write because…
It’s a challenge that’s always elusive but ever rewarding.
I just love stories. Kinda funny that way.
I would get kicked off KP if I didn’t.
I know that stories are greatly inspiring and this is the is a great way for me to do that for other people.
I know that art is God’s thingy and that I can bring Him glory…[Read more] -
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@kate-flournoy Yeah, it should be fun. I have a suspicion it will become one of my main genres, though I doubt I will cling to it solely. There’s just too many genres to try out there.
By the way, maybe I should ask for general advice on writing fantasy. Since I still have to write my time travel story, it’s not in my mind much nowadays, but I…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
I write to discover, I guess. Writing for me is a quest of sorts— discover truths, polish them until they shine, then bury them again for someone else to discover. It helps me understand the world and the nature of truth and the nature of God, and as such I guess it’s a form of worship.
I also write because if I didn’t my head would probably…[Read more]
-
Lightningmouse and
Anne Swiftblade are now friends 10 years, 1 month ago -
Ingrid replied to the topic Why We Do This in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@dragon-snapper
If I didn’t write, my mind would explode with all my ideas. I heard a quote by Ernest Hemingway saying, “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
That’s really all writing is to me. It’s pouring my heart onto paper.
My goal with my writing is to glorify God. Even if I’m never published, I hope…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@clairec I would definitely read your novel! It sounds very interesting. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Yay! Welcome to the inner circle, @Daeus! *confetti, balloons* Prepare to lose what little sanity you still possess. I don’t know what it is about writing fantasy, but the creativity required is addicting. I haven’t been able to return to historical fiction. *gasp**ominous oboe music* This is the point of no return.
Um… yeah. Books? Let’s…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@ClaireC it sounds very interesting— not the typical nurse/patriot/combat story premise, which perhaps is what you meant when you said ‘alternative… premise’?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@Claire-C it sounds very interesting— not the typical nurse/patriot/combat story premise, which perhaps is what you meant when you said ‘alternative… premise’?
-
Ingrid replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
-
Ingrid replied to the topic The Next Book Choosing in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
@bluejay
1. The Witch of Blackbird Pond
2. Ella Enchanted (even though I’ve read it twice. It’s amazing!) 🙂 -
Daeus replied to the topic Alternative Historical Fiction Book Premise in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 1 month ago
@clairec I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “alternative history”. If you just mean historical fiction, I think this sounds like a cool book. If you mean you are going to totally mix up major historical events, that’s probably not the best idea.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Oh yeah, and I’ve read the chronicles of Narnia of course too.
Made up creatures aren’t super important to me, though I think they’re cool.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Fantasy books in the forum Book Discussions 10 years, 1 month ago
Thanks everybody. These look like good suggestions. And I have already read the Hobbit and LOTR, but I may read them again.
- Load More
