@faithdk
Active 7 years, 4 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 139
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
Ooh, great topic @Anna-Brie! I love names. Pretty much what everyone else said in regards to villains, though as in all cases with all things there are exceptions.
As for heroes… well, it depends on what kind of person the hero is. When I think ‘hero’ I usually think ‘noble’, ‘strong’ and ‘complicated’. Don’t ask me why I think complicated. :P…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@anna-brie
Great topic, Anna! Thanks for bringing it up. 🙂 I absolutely love making up character names and learning the meanings behind the names!
I think a villain’s name usually contains hard sounds (as @ingridrd said). I don’t know if that’s because it makes the villains sound harsher and harder or for some other reason, but it seems that…[Read more] -
Greta replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@anna-brie
Great topic, Anna! Thanks for bringing it up. 🙂 I absolutely love making up character names and learning the meanings behind the names!
I think a villain’s name usually contains hard sounds (as @ingridrd said). I don’t know if that’s because it makes the villains sound harsher and harder or for some other reason, but it seems that…[Read more] -
Ingrid replied to the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
I agree with @dragon-snapper. Also, any hard sounds. Like ‘k’ and ‘t’ for example.
-
Rolena Hatfield posted an update 10 years ago
“Fear arises when we imagine that everything depends on us.” – Elisabeth Elliot
-
Daeus replied to the topic Men verses Woman in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@his-instrument I’m not really sure I can generalize about that. You might be right, but I wouldn’t be the one to say.
-
Hannah R. replied to the topic Men verses Woman in the forum Characters 10 years ago
@hope-ann I am so glad you started this discussion. I have always wondered about things like that, because I have no brothers and don’t know any guys very well, so I’m always kind of guessing how a male character would respond in any given situation. @daeus, thanks for your input. I have question, too.
Do men really hate asking for directions?
I…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@sarah-h I found out from the “where do you live” topic and when it is 11pm in Arizona it is 4pm here. (Just the next day) 🙂 So that will suit me fine on some days. I would probably only be able to write for 45 minutes, as we have tea (supper, I think Americans call it) at 5pm.
I don’t mind if you tag me when you want to write and I’ll let you…[Read more] -
BlueJay replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@sarah-h Which state are you from so I can do some time calculations?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Daeus no problem. Thanks.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@kate-flournoy. Oh, actually, looks like I have to leave now. Thanks for writing.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Daeus I’m good with that.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@kate-flournoy How about till 9:15?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Daeus I got 747 words… do you want to keep going?
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@Daeus count me in.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Writers' Corner 2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years ago
@kate-flournoy @bluejay @dragon-snapper. I’m late, but I’m still planning to go till 9, maybe more.
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic May I ask for some help? -World Naming- in the forum Fantasy 10 years ago
I like Caramin and Viliden.
Caramin makes me think of the colour carmine. Or rather the word. I’m not actually sure what colour it is.
And I just have a love for name beginning with ‘V’. I don’t know why, but I’ve got several in my own writing.
-
Anna Brie started the topic How naming affects characterization in the forum Characters 10 years ago
I’ve been thinking quite a bit lately about how name can sometimes tell you a lot about characters. Also how preconceptions about names can affect perception of characters.
I’d love to have a discussion about it. What about a name indicates ‘villain’ to you? And the same with heroes.
Also I’m doing a little experiment on my blog asking people to…[Read more] -
Daeus posted an update 10 years ago
@his-instrument Hi, Hannah. I wanted to see if you were interested in giving input to KP on a bit of a secret project we’re working on. Basically, we’re putting together what we’re calling a NaNoWriMo Devotional. What it is is a series of short entries for every day of November with tips on strong writing, time management, health as a writer, as…[Read more]
-
Sure. When do you need the input back?
-
@his-instrument As of yet, only portions are complete, though we will have the rest finished in maybe a week or two at the latest. I should be able to get you what we have so far today to start with. I would say we would want to have input back by the end of September if possible, but I’m just making that up. If I talked with rest of the staff I…[Read more]
-
Ok, I talked to Sarah and it looks like there might be a short delay in getting you the document, but it should be before the end of the week.
-
-
- Load More
