@ethryndal
Active 3 years, 7 months ago- Rank: Eccentric Mentor
- Total Posts: 1013
-
Louise Fowler replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@inkling-for-christ Thanks! This will make it much easier to give you specific and understandable feedback. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper YAS. THE MORE VILLAINS THE BETTER.
*coughs* Okay, maybe not always… but personally, since I write sprawlingly epic books with dozens of thematic threads and plotlines apiece, I usually have at least two villains. One is usually the head bad guy, but giving him an evil sidekick doesn’t hurt.
-
Joy started the topic Favorite Childhood Book in the forum Book Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
What were y’all’s favorite books to read as kids? Mine were…
- Happy Hollister series by Jerry West
- Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne
- Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline
- American Girl series by Valerie Tripp (my favorite girl was Molly)
What about you guys? 🙂
@dragon-snapper @daughteroftheking @inkling-for-christ @sam-kow…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@daughteroftheking @ingridrd @alia Thank you all! She appreciates it! 😉
-
Elizabeth replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Hi!
Honestly, I don’t think having two villains is a problem. Lots of books, TV shows, and movies get away with it. Often, they come at it through an insubordinate/superior light, where one person is just doing what their told based on what their superior instructs, but I’m sure there are other ways you could go about such a thing.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the input guys! 😀
@kate-flournoy @daeus I tagged Kate because I knew she wrote fantasy…I just didn’t stop to consider how long the fantasy was. 😉 My mistake. Haha.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Tagses!
@daeus @kate-flournoy (Am I allowed to ask you on this one? 😉 ) @sam-kowal @shannon @emily @daughteroftheking @supermonkey42 @ingridrd @andeverone else
-
Snapper started the topic Another Question in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
Heya Kapeefers. This week seems to be the Snapper Invents Topics week.
Another question:
Can you have two villains? It kinda makes the plotline a little weird I know, but can you have, say, for the first half of a book there be one villain and the other half another villain? Or does that really just mess things up?
-
Ingrid replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@dekreel Praying hard. ❤️
-
Joy replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@dragon-snapper Personally, I don’t think it really matters how long it is! The only limit here is your imagination, and, for what it’s worth, I doubt that your imagination could be an impediment to you 😉
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@aratrea 😀 Right. I think, along with the new uncertainty around the humans actually Invading Roshar and whether its right for them to be ruling most of the lands, that’s going to be a major thematic point at least for the first five books.
And Yep, that climax with Dalinar was pretty much equally as shiver-inducing as Kaladin’s… ‘You cannot…[Read more]
-
Joy replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@epicaddie2Â Praying for your cousin! <3
@ingridrd @salome01w4g @daughteroftheking @alia @everyone
I mentioned earlier about my Spanish teacher’s mom’s death. Well today in class she broke down and told us how fearful and anxious she has been as a result. She knows God is there, and she knows He can give peace, but there is something insi…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@inkling-for-christ 😀 Good job! It’s a start
So, my suggestions
Cut out the repeated information) You mention three times I think that she rose up through the ranks and by eighteen was supervisor, and there are a lot of other things repeated over and over. Cut those out
Make your MC gal’s character align with her reputation) Everyone keeps…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
*evil snickering*
Yeah… @Daeus and @Sam-Kowal were right. I’m the wrong person to ask.
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
@aratrea 😀 I know that book!
Oathbringer was pretty mind-blowing, I thought. I was supremely satisfied with Dalinar, although I was getting angry at him in his backstory… the only thing that felt unfinished to me was the (Oathbringer spoilers for anyone randomly reading) Adolin/Sadeas conflict, it felt like it was resolved much too easily, but…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
*sees you tagged @kate-flournoy*
*beams and then collapses*
I think Kate is doing a series that’s going to be, like, 5 million words. Or something like that, she said she had book 1 written and it was 500,000, so…
I don’t think there is a max, at all.
Besides what they can physically publish in a bonding, Brandon Sanderson’s…[Read more]
-
Sam Kowal replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@epicaddie2 Wow, that’s really hard ;(
I’m so sorry, I’ll pray about that. Cancer is terrible@alia I will pray for your little sister too, that’s tough. Hopefully God will use it to help build trust with her
@winter-rose 😀 nice
Always cool to see people trying new things like that
I’ll pray for you -
Snapper started the topic Does it Have to be Long? in the forum Plotting 8 years, 10 months ago
So….I’ve heard a lot about fantasy novels being long, but Iv’e never written anything longer than 85,000 thousand words. Anything that was going to be longer than that I never finished. So I’ve been wondering…how long is the max for fantasy novels?
@daeus @aratrea @kate-flournoy @shannon @any and all fantasy people…
-
Elizabeth replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
Hello,
A couple thoughts…
–I believe someone above mentioned that posting this in such a huge block of text makes it very difficult to read and comprehend. Maybe using something like Google Docs would be more beneficial to you in the future…
–I found myself skimming over the chapters as time went on. This may have to do with how long it…[Read more]
-
Ingrid replied to the topic FEEDBACK HELP NEEDED! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 10 months ago
@gh24682468999 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 😉
- Load More
