@dragon-snapper
Active 8 months, 4 weeks ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 3515
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #16 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
@skredder Hey, are you writing?
@seekjustice Are you going to be on tonight?
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice Oh, haha! I forgot he was deaf! Second what @skredder just said. In ASL he wouldn’t use as many slang words, but if he knew them before he got deaf he might write them.
Though writing slang isn’t as common, since most people tend to be more formal in writing than in speaking.
However, since he’s in Australia he might just de…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice I agree with Jen that you could watch American movies, but for slang, and not cultural norms. Hollywood does not depict normal American life. 😀 So, you can listen to the speech patterns and they might be similar to normal Americans, but what the people do in the movies and their mannerisms and reactions to things are not n…[Read more]
-
Skredder replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice I really think it depends on when your character became deaf as to what slang he uses. If he was born deaf or became deaf really early I don’t think he would use a great deal of slang except any slang used by ASL users in particular. The later he became deaf the more he would use slang.
-
Skredder replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
@jenwriter17 I’m definitely praying!
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic Alpha/Beta Readers for My Dystopian WIP in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 5 months ago
@sarah-anson Awesome! You should have access now 🙂
-
Sink replied to the topic Alpha/Beta Readers for My Dystopian WIP in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 5 months ago
@jenwriter17 Yes, I’d like to continue beta reading all the chapters you put up, if you don’t mind.
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
@rochellaine thank you, friend <3
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
Ditto what Rochellaine said. She knows more about slang than I do, cuz I’m suddenly drawing a blank. 🙂
Maybe, if you can, watch American movies (or maybe read books?) and that should give you a pretty good idea of us. 😉
and THIRD INFINITY BOOK?! *fangirls* 😀
Are there anymore specific questions you have? then I may be of some more help.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
@jenwriter17 I’m so sorry! I’ll be praying for you.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice Okay, I wasn’t sure, since I have never met any Australians. 😉 I know a few Canadians and British-educated people (not actually British, but African or Pakistani) and they don’t seem to make fun of language differences as much as we Americans do.
Another “don’t” is don’t have him say “y’all.” I don’t know if you’ve heard the t…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
I think the feeling is mutual 🙂 Australians also make fun of  American English (I remember the first time I was confronted with the word Mom).
I’ll remember that though. He will tease mpeople by calling them bloke
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice Okay, cool. Too bad, because I love WWI slang, but it’ll be easier for you, probably. 🙂
Hm, let me see… number one, Don’t let him say “bloke” for the first while, but he will definitely say it as a joke at one point! Americans love copying and making fun of other English dialects and slang words we’re not used to. (It do…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
No, its for my third Infinity book, so its set in the future, but since my Australian characters are fairly modern Australian the Americans will be too.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice I LOVE studying slang!
First, a couple of clarifications: American slang and idioms are very diversified depending on what part of the country we live in. In certain parts of the country we have even almost different dialects altogether. 😛 So, thanks for saying he’s in Ohio.
But…secondly, what time period is this? Is it for y…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice started the topic I Need Help with My American Character in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
So, as most of you probably know I am Australian and I probably know less about America than you know about Australia.
This is problematic, because my current WIP has a character who is demanding to be American (no idea why, that’s just how he is). Specifically he is from Ohio. Now I kind of need to know about Americans, what slang they use in…[Read more]
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic Alpha/Beta Readers for My Dystopian WIP in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 5 months ago
@skredder @seekjustice Here’s chapter 8
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I3WMWDus6-dny3KZO-vPHI-KNqTbPUzd5yUYR2iGLYc/edit?usp=sharing
@sarah-anson @warrenluther04 Would you two like to read it too? 🙂
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
@seekjustice Thank you 🙂
-
Jenna Terese replied to the topic Would You Rather Character Edition in the forum Characters 8 years, 5 months ago
@ariella-newheart Basically we just ask everyone and anyone: would your character rather ______ or ______? And just fill in the blanks with whatever craziness 😉
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 5 months ago
Definitely 🙂
- Load More
