-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Haha that’s how I do things as well. For my WIP, the setting is based of historical Korea but considering the tone of my story I guess I can get away with some inaccuracies. But this time I have done research and found pictures of the clothes (called hanboks) that my characters wear in the story.
Um… what do you mean…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Standards for modesty depended a lot on the time of day and the place or event. Ball gowns have always been less modest than everyday clothing. So has swimwear. Women didn’t swim with men during that period, but if you go forward fifty years to the 1890s-1900s, which I know more about, you see that walking dresses covered up to th…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Yeah, it’s really interesting! I’m not into fashion very much, so when I do research on historical periods or write historical fiction I tend to learn about as much of it as I can get by on and leave it at that, but obviously, that approach has its drawbacks 😀
-
valtmy replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@rochellaine @seekjustice @ariel-ashira
Hey guys I’m on now. 🙂
Wow this is interesting. I’ve read Regency and Victorian era books before but never really thought about the fashion before.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Hmm…Interesting. Those last two pictures you had have dresses very similar to the ones that I was referring to. I just find it interesting because a lot of her other costumes are exceedingly modest, and then there’s just these random ones which are extremely revealing (like, I certainly wouldn’t be wearing them!). I suppose the…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Oh, do you like ballet? I wouldn’t have thought so.
The Victorian era had very interesting standards of modesty. 😉 Showing your ankle was considered obscene and scandalous, and yet showing shoulders and even a bit of cleavage was common during certain events. I don’t think it would be appropriate for going out in the daytime, bu…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@rochellaine Cool! I’ve never seen a production of Swan Lake, though I think it would be really pretty!
Well, I’ve been watching the tv show Victoria, and there’s this one dress Victoria wears regularly that really seems a bit….edgy for the Victorian period. I’ll see if I can find a picture of it…
I’m having trouble finding a picture of the…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Well, I am watching a bit of Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake on YouTube. I found a version where they don’t die in the end, but kill the villain instead. 😀 I think I probably needed that after being reminded of Zac tonight. 😉
Hm, I don’t like Victorian fashion much, but go ahead, shoot, and I’ll see if I can help.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
What are you working on? Listening to anything at the moment (I’m currently listening to Anastasia).
By the way, since you know more about historic fashion than I do, I’ve got a Victorian related clothing question.
Awesome! *tries to think of a question that doesn’t sound weird* Did you have a good time?
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice Aw. 🙂 Well, I’m here now. 😀 What are we going to talk about tonight?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
I think so, I’ve been quite lonely by myself.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice I’m back. 🙂 Is everyone else gone?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Okay, cool 😀
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@seekjustice I’ll be back in a little while.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@alia Bye! I love Jonas so much! I’m currently rewriting the scene with Chessy and Jonas at the speedway and my love has been renewed 😀 I also love Jean. And names that start with J.
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@alia I agree with Rochellaine, I think it could be hidden in a hill, or a riverbank or something like that. I’ve always wanted a house like the one that the Ingalls lived in, in I think, On the Banks of Plum Creek?
@rochellaine Well, I’m glad you think I did a good job. I do love a good redemption arc (my favourite thing to write ever!)
-
Alia replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
Signing off, got a meeting to go too
-
Alia replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@rochellaine…*wipes away tear* Jonas. The dad and Quillon are tied for a close second
I was thinking maybe a dugout type, but with a similar element to what @catwing said.
Catwing, what happens if you leave your head in one place without your body for too long?
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@alia I would picture it sort of like the sod shanties or dugouts from Little House on the Prairie. Those are like cottages, but they are a bit disguised.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #17 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 3 months ago
@alia Yes, like the Bible says, evil is thought good, and good is thought evil. 🙁 It’s quite possible for guys to be “cool” without being bad, but a lot of people don’t realize that. 😛
@seekjustice Quillon is really sweet. Forgive me, but even with his strength in protecting Sapphire I think he’s not quite as strong as Justice or Zac (…[Read more]
- Load More
