-
Sarah Hoven replied to the topic Traditional in the forum Publishing & Platform 9 years, 8 months ago
I’m not sure. Here, I’ll tag some people who might know: @hope @daeus @aratrea
@kate-flournoy @theliterarycrusader -
Ethryndal replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aratrea Okay. After being in another State for two days, away from internet, I’m back. The story I’ve chosen is Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens.
Theme: Wealth and Poverty
Focusing Question: Are riches required to be happy?
Message: Good friends and a content heart can bring joy in the poorest circumstances.
I just watched Video 4, but you’re…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
Oh wow… what an enormous question, @Dragon-Snapper. 😛
*screams* @ARATREA I NEED YOU!! HELP! 😛Okay, okay. Settle down Kate. *clears throat*
Let me explain.
Uh… no. There is too much.
Let me sum up. 😉
A character arc is basically the change a character goes through over the course of a story. From one belief to another. In fact, this is…[Read more] -
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Homework for Video 5: Character Arc in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
I agree with @Kate-Flournoy for the mental gymnastics. I’m excited but daunted to do this with my other main characters. 😛
Start: Protagonist believes she can overcome any hardship by simply pretending nothing is wrong. She thinks that if she doesn’t let others know something is wrong she won’t feel any pain from the events happening around her.…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 5: Character Arc in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Whew… okay. This took some fancy mental gymnastics because my protagonist is in second-draft-stage and still needs work, but I think I got it how it’s going to be once I’m done. The arc is one of the more complex ones, actually… disillusionment, so it’ll look a bit different. Anyway.
Beginning: begins with basic belief/hope that despite all…[Read more]
-
Mallory O'Bier replied to the topic Bug Reporting in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 8 months ago
Thanks, @aratrea ! I’ll do that. 🙂
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Thank you @aratrea! I did wonder about having more than one theme in a novel.
Yes, I did forget to include that 😛 Things like that do happen, but perhaps I’ll build off it a bit more, as that would be a wonderful plot! (well, bad for the character… 😉 ) Thank you!!!
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Thank you @aratrea! I did wonder about having more than one theme in a novel.
Yes, I did forget to include that 😛 Things like that do happen, but perhaps I’ll build off it a bit more, as that would be a wonderful plot! (well, bad for the character… ;)) Thank you!!!
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
So I did this… this homework stuff is awesome. 😀
Theme: Man’s depravity.
Focusing question: what makes man good or evil?
Possible answers:
a. his justification
b. his position
c. his influence
d. his upbringing
e. the state of his heart… and then spin that off into one big question that sets up the rest of the series: what makes a man’s hea…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
So I did this… this homework stuff is awesome. 😀
Theme: Man’s depravity.
Focusing question: what makes man good or evil?
Possible answers:
a. his justification
b. his position
c. his influence
d. his upbringing
e. the state of his heart… and then spin that off into one big question that sets up the rest of the series: what makes a man’s hea…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@audrey-caylin I’d like to hear anything you’ve learned from working on a trilogy. this is my first one.
The three themes will be tied together. The personal theme is the meaning of life, which is also the main theme. The two others are supporting themes, so the understanding of atonement and the victory of good lead to an understanding of the…[Read more]
-
Mallory O'Bier replied to the topic Bug Reporting in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 8 months ago
I can’t find the worksheet for lesson four, @aratrea . Isn’t there supposed to be a link or something below the video? Thanks!
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aratrea and @Kate-flournoy excuse me? We have another INFJ in the world? XD #infjsareawesomeorganizers 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
since most of my characters have undergone tragic backstories (courtesy of me =P)
*chokes* YES. lol
An organizational freak? *cough*INFJ*coughcough* :’D
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
since most of my characters have undergone tragic backstories (courtesy of me =P)
*chokes* YES. lol
An orgizational freak? *cough*INFJ*coughcough* :’D
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
since most of my characters have undergone tragic backstories (courtesy of me =P)
*chokes* YES. lol
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aysia-Serene ha, yes. There’s so much to be said on that subject it’d take whole books. 😛
Perhaps another important difference is that in 2/3 examples you picked, the MC was /not/ the winner of the love triangle, so instead of just being a gushy ending of success, the MC actually has to face hardship and work through it to become a better…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Love Triangles— what the Classical Authors knew that we don't. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aysia-Serene ha, yes. There’s so much to be said on that subject it’d take whole books. 😛
Perhaps another important difference is that in 2/3 examples you picked, the MC was /not/ the winner of the love triangle, so instead of just being a gushy ending of success, the MC actually has to face hardship and work through it to become a better…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
AAAAHHHHH!!!!! I LOVE THIS COURSE!!!!!
*stuffs herself in the closet and muffles screaming in the nearest pillow*
I don’t even know where to start. Just… I guess I can sorta sum it up by saying I am completely mind-blown by how extensive and detailed this course is. Not only that, but also ORGANIZED IN A COHERENT MANNER. With examples and…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea I’m trying to figure out what my theme should be for my next book, but I’m having a bit of trouble figuring out which one to do. Can I have more than one theme, like two, maybe?
- Load More
