-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
-
Sarah Hoven posted a new activity comment 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea I agree. 🙂
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Experiments in Living:
1. One is victorious if they are able to protect their family and friends.
2. One is victorious if they have control over all those who wish them harm.
3. One is victorious if they can gain the ability to live in freedom from physical tyranny and oppression.
4. One is victorious if they can serve others and…[Read more] -
Hope Ann replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea While working out my experiments in living for the next section, I realized that victory would work better than either of the others options I had. So I’ve tweaked my question and message slightly to ‘what constitutes true victory?’ and ‘Victory is not measured by if we win or lose earthly battles, but rather in our relationship with…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Discussion for Video Four: The Experiment in Living in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
Can I just say I am loving this course SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! Basically, everything @kate-flournoy said. It’s lesson 4 and already I’ve learned so much. I also really like how the lessons are fairly short so I can take the time to sit back and think about it and apply what I’ve learned to my various works in progress.
And yes; tragic…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Homework for Video 5: Character Arc in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Okay. Here I go. (Side note so this makes more sense: My story is about an elf-like race of people who live for several thousand years and so forth)
Beginning: Protagonist is part of a ‘superior’ race of people, and as long as her people are safe, she is quite happy to be indifferent to the troubles the rest of the world faces. She doesn’t think…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy posted an update 9 years, 8 months ago
@Aratrea I wanted to let you know, you’ve done an awesome job taking on the role of Editor in Chief. I’m technically not a writer, but I know and love tons of the writer stuff (highly due to being Kate’s sister 😉 ), and I love this site (it seriously is the bestistest place on the Internet). Especially all the talking/Christian…[Read more]
-
@aratrea I agree. 🙂
-
Thanks so much @emma-flournoy (and @sarah-h)! It’s great to have an awesome team to work with and an awesome audience to be helping out. 😉 Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed the site even though you don’t do much writing!
-
-
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Okay @Aratrea @Daeus, here’s what I came up with.
1. You should only help people if they have something to offer
2. Because of God’s love, we ought to love everyone, even those who don’t deserve it
3. We ought to reach out to those in need because it will make us better people
4. We shouldn’t bother trying to change the world because people…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
The theme is the one thing I’m not quite sure about. The idea is that man cannot succeed on his own. Man is finite and there is a limit to what he can do and know – as compared to God, who is infinite, and in Whom true success and final victory lies. Themes themselves are naturally broad, but I’m thinking I might be able to focus mine…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Discussion for Video Three: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
Story: Lord of the Rings
Theme: Hope and Perseverance
Focusing Question: Is there ever a time one is justified in giving up?
Message: One must fight and persevere through every darkness, doing what one can whether there is hope or not.
I have a feeling there is probably more themes in LotR, but those are the main ones that I think…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Theme: Finite ability of man
Focusing question: What constitutes success?
Possible answers:
a. Protection of loved ones
b. Personal power
c. Survival
d. Memorable acts
e. Relationship with GodMessage: Success is not measured by if we win or lose earthly battles, but rather in our relationship with God.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Discussion for Video Two: The Importance of Theme in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea Theme is exciting because it is the life of the story; the reason the story exists. It can be woven in so subtly and exploration of a theme can go in so many directions. I am always excited when I find books that are exciting and yet present a message or prompt thought-provoking questions without shoving the morals down your throat, and…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Discussion for Video Seven: Negative Character Arc in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
Um… can I do plays??? XD Shakespeare’s Richard II coupled with Henry IV— don’t know if you’ve read them, but Henry IV is the continued story of Richard II. They’re directly linked.
Anyway.
The negative character arc for Henry Bolingbroke (later Henry IV) begins when he is charged with high treason and banished overseas by the inexperienced…[Read more] -
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Homework for Videos 6-8: Developing Character Arcs in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea I have a question: how does this work? Do you post your plotted-out scenes, or what happens to the character, or…?
I’m working on refining the character arcs I have for my current novel, so I’m just picking them out of the novel for this homework and learning what they are. Do I post the scenes?
Sorry, I’m a little confused 😛 (and…[Read more]
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Homework for Video 4: Experiment in Living in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 8 months ago
Hey @aratrea, I have a question: I’m trying to come up with Experiments in Living, and I’m finding that most of them look exactly like possible answers to a Focusing Question. How do I know the difference, is there a difference, or am I doing something completely wrong?
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic ARCHIVED – Discussion for Video Six: Positive Character Arc in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 8 months ago
I would definitely have to say what I did last time: bad experiences. Especially humbling moments when I realize “well, those were a bunch of stupid choices. I can’t believe I didn’t see that earlier” I think God likes to humble me that way 😛
I’ve taken to doing that to my characters as well, which is easier, since I can absolutely relate to…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
@aratrea According to my knowledge of vocabulary, she seems to be wanting a refund on the course now that she knows our true intelligence.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Size of a Writer's Vocabulary in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 8 months ago
-
Snapper replied to the topic Character Arc-What's That? in the forum Characters 9 years, 8 months ago
@kate-flournoy @daeus @aratrea Wowzers! Awesome advice, guys! I used the summary of K. M. Weiland’s three plot structure thingy and that actually deepened my theme. And Kate, I’m copying that down too. Thank you all!
- Load More

Thanks so much @emma-flournoy (and @sarah-h)! It’s great to have an awesome team to work with and an awesome audience to be helping out. 😉 Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed the site even though you don’t do much writing!