-
Snapper replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea Right, I think I have it this time.
Theme: Pride
FQ: What does pride do for or against a man?
1. Pride is simply a way to gain confidence
2. Pride won’t do anything as long as it doesn’t deprecate others
3. Pride will always destroy a man and those around him
4. Pride will grow to arrogance if left unchecked
5. Pride must be kept at bay…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea Ah, okay. I think I’m getting now. Thank you!
-
Snapper replied to the topic Homework for Video 3: Discovering & Deepening Theme in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea Well…I’m stuck here… What does pride do to a man anyway? I have multiple themes, but do mind helping me out with this first one so I can get the gist of it?
-
Jackson Graham replied to the topic Dislocated shoulder question in the forum Fantasy 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea
Yeah. Some things you don’t want to know by life experience… 🙂Jackson E. Graham
http://jacksonegraham.wixsite.com/jackson-e-graham -
Ethryndal replied to the topic Dislocated shoulder question in the forum Fantasy 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea @graciegirl And this is why it’s a good thing we’re Christians, because otherwise, we could very easily become villains. We know their ways a little too well… XD
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic ARCHIVED – Homework for Video 10: Theme & Scene Structure in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea wonderful. 😀 And yes… I love those kinds of characters too. *coughs**glances around**lowers voice* Don’t tell anyone… but… he’s my favorite. *grins*
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea Oh, another question I’ve been wondering about. The disillusionment arc. No one seems to cover it fully. Even in the Character Arc book, it wasn’t as fully explained as some of the others. It would be very helpful to hear a point by point progression of a disillusionment arc with the same sort of EiL diagrams you’ve been using for the…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic ARCHIVED – Homework for Video 10: Theme & Scene Structure in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea here I am again, finally. 😛
Ooh yes, forgot about the reactions. For the first scene, Denholm actually tricked Harold into thinking he was in danger so Harold would go into the swamp (because they’re running away from spies and the swamp is the shortest road and the only one the spies wouldn’t think to take). So Harold comes rushing in…[Read more]
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Discussion for Video Ten: Theme & Scene Structure in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea or @Daeus I think there’s a bit of a link mix-up for lesson eleven. The link from the video takes me here, and when I just looked in the forum, discussion questions for video eleven were about antagonists. Then there is another topic of discussion questions for video eleven that is the correct one. So basically, there are two video eleven…[Read more]
-
Anna Brie replied to the topic Discussion for Video Eight: Flat Character Arc in the forum Discussion Questions 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea I’m just checking that we’re talking about the same books. That’s Resistance, etc. by Jaye L. Knight. Only 3 out of the promised six books are published.
There’s other major character that definite positive arcs, so it’s not a purely flat arc story by any means. Now that’s something that certainly complicates thinking about character…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea Can a negative arc turn into a positive arc? If a character has a negative arc through the whole of the book and then, after losing everything and completely falling, could he have a brief positive arc (one that might be a chapter or two long) that brings him back to the truth and partial victory?
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea Great!
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic ARCHIVED – Homework for Video 10: Theme & Scene Structure in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea I read it a while ago, but I could probably use a refresher 😛
I’m assuming that more than one method can be used for the “disaster” of each scene? I guess that most scenes seem to naturally use poetic justice along with the other methods. Just a thought.
Anyway, here is a scene:
Goal: Protagonist is trying to prove herself as good as…[Read more]
-
Mallory O'Bier replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
I’ll be there! 🙂 @aratrea
-
Rachelle replied to the topic Rachelle's "Hello" in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 7 months ago
@r-j-wordsmith
Fantasy is lots of fun, especially if you get lots of world-building ideas.
Two of my novels are part of a series (that I will likely never finish since it’s my first and I didn’t plan anything out) while the other is just a random practice novel. =P@aratrea
Awesome, thank you! I think that whenever I manage to get the con…[Read more] -
Anna Brie replied to the topic Homework for Video 5: Character Arc in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@aratrea I was starting to realize that there were two closely combined arcs.
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
@Kate-Flournoy don’t worry; I know I will 😉
@Aratrea My question (or dilemma): I have a character who is important in my first novel, and what happens to him during the first 25% of the sequel is very important. However, he is not present after the 25% mark of that sequel. He only shows up again as a main character in the following novel. Can a…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Theme Mastery Q&A in the forum Theme Mastery 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea okey dokey. I will not be able to make it. Guys, *wags finger sternly* You be sure and ask him plenty of questions ‘kay?
-
Audrey Caylin replied to the topic ARCHIVED – Homework for Video 10: Theme & Scene Structure in the forum Writing Assignments 9 years, 7 months ago
@Aratrea question: how do you figure out when one “scene” ends and the next begins? It seems that every moment of a story is made up of goals, complications, disasters, reactions, dilemmas, and decisions. I can’t seem to figure out when I should end each scene. They could be as long as the novel itself or as short as a paragraph. This has always…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic The Fears of a Writer in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@r-j-wordsmith *shudders* I’d melt if my book was hidden beneath others.
@kate-flournoy Indeed. I’ve been trying for months to regain what I had been able to do before, write what I love, but I’ve been so caught up in trying to make it world-worthy that I’ve forgotten what I’m actually doing. I read through my old work, and in comparing it to…[Read more] - Load More
