@aella
Active 8 years, 8 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 160
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Thanks Daues. I think I see what you’re saying.
And yes, the owner of this place is filthy rich. He works for the government.Actually, he’s part of the government. Governor of this really wealthy city named Ivreton. And… he’s high in the king’s favor. At least… most of the time.
Oh and by the way, that king I just mentioned… you know him…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
AMEN!
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Just a couple corrections the other guys missed:
Some of the inkwells broke, and spreading puddles of greasy ink stained the black granite and the scattered parchments.
Read that again. You probably deleted that and rewrote it, but forgot to take out the previous wording. I do that all the time. 😛 Just decide on one to keep.
…catching up…
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
I honestly can’t think of any perfectly perfect characters. But there are the morally perfect ones. Sometimes they just aren’t the main character, though and you’re seeing the story through the eyes of another character.The morally perfect characters usually have some other fault or not everyone likes them.
Like Horatio Horblower is awesome, but…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
*blinks owlishly, sniffs, and hangs head contritely* I am ashamed.
Yeah, it’s funny actually, because Denholm is not the main MC for this book, more like the second main MC, yet he seems to be the general favorite among my fan base— read, my siblings. 😛
Try not to die, by the way. I only just found you again.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh? in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Post away, Rolena! A fresh perspective is always good, especially since most of us were so immersed in this subject that I know at least I was beginning to get muddled.
Most of us can probably stand a few more thoughts on this without going green in the face… 😉
-
Emma replied to the topic KP Staff in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Everything they said pretty much. I haven’t been here long, but I already love it.
-
Emma replied to the topic Ni Hao Peng You (Hello Friends) in the forum Start HERE 11 years ago
welcome human *whispers* join usss
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
When however you see that perfect character repeated continually, you start to go, “Not again”.
Gulp… Listen to Daeus on this one, guys. He’s uniquely qualified to be offering an opinion.
Okay, first things first. On the podcast Mr. Davis used Aragorn as an example. Good choice of example. I think a lot of what made Aragorn such a great cha…[Read more]
-
Emma replied to the topic Morally Perfect Characters in the forum General Writing Discussions 11 years ago
Morally perfect characters don’t leave room for any character arcs, and when character driven stories are my favorite kind, that presents an issue.
I think flawed characters who still strive to better themselves are ideal.
I’ve read books from the perspective of very cynical characters, and they were interesting and sometimes relatable; but…[Read more]
-
Emma replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 11 years ago
@Hannah. Huzzah fellow kid-book fan. 😉 What are some of your favorites?
As to the subject of Redwall, I’ve accumulated quite a few of them due to garage sales and book swaps. And I’ve got to admit, I’ve never finished a single one, though I mean to eventually. Hannah , your description of them sounds quite favorable, and they have been…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Daeus, I was prepared to fall on my knees and beg you to proofread this story for me once I finish it, because your critique on my last one (of which this is a sequel, actually) was so helpful. But hey! You’ve saved me a very awkward moment of humility. I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HAVE YOU PROOFREAD THIS BOOK WHEN I FINISH IT.
And thank you so…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Thanks Hannah. I really appreciate it.
Gah! I really can tend to use suddenly too many times. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll work on it. And yes, I can also tend to go off on profuse poetic imaginings and take up way too much space with ‘revolutionary’ realizations.
All around, thanks for the criticism. I’ll definitely take it all into…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 11 years ago
Wow Hannah Lowe! Long time no see! Great to see you on here again.
Did you finish ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ yet? Did you like it? If you haven’t finished, do you think you’re going to like it?I… have not read the Redwall series. Who wrote it? What genre is it?
It’s really great to see you again. And no, I don’t think this topic fell into a…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy started the topic Fight Scene Critique— I got desperate in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Okay Mark and anyone else out there who has an opinion. I got desperate enough. Don’t spare me. Here it is.
Quick explanatory note: the MC of this scene just trapped himself in a long hall by tying the doors shut, so the bad guys who are trying to catch him can’t come after him. He’s hoping there’s a back door. But the bad guys apparently have…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Is this boring??? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
They mentioned most of it already, but one thing I was confused about is the names— which names belong to which characters? Maybe you could help with this by taking one sentence to describe each character’s face, or some odd fact about them, or something that sets them apart in the reader’s mind and makes them peculiar to their name and…[Read more]
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Is this boring??? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
First of all, this reminds me a LOT of my first writings. You’ve got a great base layer sort of thing going here, but it’s sort of bare-bones. It needs some additions. One thing I’m noticing in your writing is a general avoidance of the word “said”. It took me forever to figure out that that word was not the mark of an uncreative writer. If you…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Favorites? in the forum Book Discussions 11 years ago
Thanks for the pointers on pronunciation, Tatiana. I know what it’s like to have a name like that! I cannot tell you how many people mangle our last name— which in case you were wondering is pronounced ‘FLOR-noy’. The ‘Flour’ rhymes with ‘door’. 🙂
Yes, LoTR is full of fantastic characters. Ever single one is important. In my own opinion, I…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Well good! And you’re welcome!
You should try fantasy, Daeus. Really.
-
Rosey Mucklestone replied to the topic Novel Start? in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 11 years ago
Awesome! Totally going to use some of those. 🙂 Thanks, Kate!
- Load More
