Writing AUs of your own stories

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing AUs of your own stories

• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ava Blue
    @ava-blue
      • Total Posts: 222

Since the subject came up recently, it got me curious.

Do you guys have any AUs (alternate universes) of your own stories and characters? I personally have quite a few, and sometimes I end up working on them more than my actual WIP. I enjoy them because it’s almost like writing fanfiction for your characters, and it’s a lot more relaxed than working on and plotting a WIP.

As mentioned, I have a cowboy AU for Bronwen and the characters in her story, as well as an AU where Muri is the captain of a pirate ship (she has the sweetest purple trench coat and combat boots..). Aaand one AU I kind of forgot about is a fantasy version of Bronwen’s story where she and her friends have magic powers (that made it sound super cheesy) Bronwen has a magic bow, Mercedes can speak to animals, Denver can manipulate plants and Kami has the Midas touch.

I’d love to hear what you guys are writing 😀

Monsters creep
      In the silent dark-deep
      In the filling-eye hills
      In the shriveled hand-keep

whaley
      @whalekeeper
        • Total Posts: 3141

I’ve never heard the term AU before, but yes, I DO now that I think about it 😂

In one, instead of being in a 1930s era and isolated from the rest of humanity (viz: no family), Sebastian is in a royal core kingdom as an ambassador, and finds a temporary family of sorts with a prince and princess there. It’s actually a roleplay I’m doing with the creator of that royal couple. And… Hehe… It might just be longer than any other work I’ve done with Seb.

I have a character who seems to work in a fantasy or western, and I can’t seem to decide which *shrug* So that too.

“Everything is a mountain”

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 8156

@ava-blue. Girl…I’ve never even thought of that! I think of Marvel AU’s all the time…but for my books? Never! 😂

Such a fun idea! Now I may just need to try it! 😍

Your AU’s sound like so much fun, btw. 😁

@whalekeeper
          . Ooh, that sounds intriguing! 🤔🤔🤔

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@ava-blue Yea, I have a cyberpunk AU for one, and school AUs for others, but I only really work on them when I’m super bored.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Elishavet Elroi
            @elishavet-pidyon
              • Total Posts: 1056

@ava-blue

Until this point I haven’t truly understood what an AU was. Thank you for explaining it.

Actually, sort of? Not really. I guess I’m more likely to write “lost fragments” of my stories. You know, parts that I love, but that happen outside of the book. They’ll probably end up in an index thing in the back of my books, if I ever finish them. XD

Although, come to think of it, I do sometimes move some of my charries’ into other book worlds, so I suppose that would be an AU.

Yours sound super fun! (That coat sounds exquisite…)

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Ava Blue
              @ava-blue

@devestate_lasting why have I never thought of a school AU?? :0 I love your profile picture, btw!

@freedomwriter76 I would 💖 to see an AU of your story with Riker!! And thank you! I forgot to add, in my Western AU Bronwen and Kami are bandits and partners in crime, they’re so funny to write because Bronwen just wants to get things over with but Kami has to be all theatric and make a show out of every heist.

@elishavet_pidyon Hey, no problem! I love your idea of including all those little extras in the back of the book. Extras are always my favorite part of a book 🤩

@Whalekeeper
                that sounds so fun! Sebastian being adopted-ish by a royal couple sounds kinda adorable 😀

Monsters creep
                In the silent dark-deep
                In the filling-eye hills

Ava Blue
                @ava-blue

argh I meant @devastate-lasting and @elishavet-pidyon

I cant spell I think I still got it wrong..

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Ava Blue.
                  • This reply was modified 2 years ago by Ava Blue.

Monsters creep
                  In the silent dark-deep
                  In the filling-eye hills

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

@ava-blue OH MY GOSH!! I HAVE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THIS FOR KY OWN WIPS!!! SCREEEECH!!!!!

@freedomwriter76 WOULD U WANNA MAKE A FORUM WHERE WE WRITE OUR WIP AUS OR ABOUT THEM?!?! BECAUSE NOW I TOTALLY WANNA MAKE SOME!!!

And this is crazy, because just today I listened to a song and had this crazy thought like “what if, somehow Ara had been a villain, or became a villain” or something and so yea that would probably be the premise of an AU

and also a SCHOOL AU AHHHH (that’s clean because I absolutely LOVE the prep school/school and cafe trope but sadly not everyone writes them clean 😭

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

Aaaaaaahhhhh this honestly makes me sooo excited 🤣 like fanfic of my OWN WIPS! which sounds insane cuz I’m the author but….XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

Ava Blue
                      @ava-blue

@Godlyfantasy12 bwahahaha thats exactly how I felt when I first realized I could do it XD

So many wonderful possibilities… 🤩 And I would love to share AUs with you guys, that would be such a blast!!

Monsters creep
                        In the silent dark-deep
                        In the filling-eye hills

Rose Everdeen
                        @rose-everdeen
                          • Total Posts: 49

@ava-blue

Oh my gosh this is so cool! I have a Modern AU of one of my novels, but it’s limited strictly to my mind, and includes whatever wild things I come up with XD Including but not limited to: My MC dyeing her hair red, wearing heelies, and befriending raccoons. It’s exclusively completely bizarre stuff, I love it a lot XD

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 8156

@ava-blue. Aww, thank you!!!! I’m glad y’all all love Riker, bc he’s my fav. 😛 And you’re so welcome!!!! Ahh, that’s so cool!!!!! 😀

@godlyfantasy12
                            . Ara as a villain!? Now that….I would like to see. 😉 I’d ABSOLUTELY love to have a forum for that!!!! And funny thing…cause I was thinking of doing a school AU for mine…hehe. XD

GodlyFantasy12
                            @godlyfantasy12

@freedomwriter76 @ava-blue oooooooh should I make a forum where we just write our AUs then?? Like we can even write chapters if we ever get that far 🤣 (yeaaa no promises from me cuz procrastinator of the century…plus I really need to focus on my WIP…but who knows lol)

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                              #ProtectMarcel
                              #ProtectSeb

Elishavet Elroi
                              @elishavet-pidyon
                                • Total Posts: 1056

Oh y’all! This isn’t exactly an AU, or not in one way, but totally in another! Once I took my entire three kingdoms in Heir of Ashes and planted them into Middle Earth.

*Dies laughing*

Honestly though, it’s amazing what taking your setting and putting in a different world will do for world building. It highlights little details that you’d completely over look otherwise.

As for this case, it helped my develop the history of the Brother-Nations. (And it was just plain fun.)

Aragorn: What is going on here?

Viktor: Who are you people?!

Legolas: Wait, we’re cousins?

Reúven: Oh yeah……

XD

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there, because I was astonished by how much an hour of role play with my twin sister in this vein helped establish an entire history and culture in my mind.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12

@elishavet-pidyon lol!!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >