WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 478 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    @savannah_grace2009
      • Total Posts: 2535

@ellette-giselle

I agree with Whaley…I need to step away too.

Lukas&Livia
      #Lalbert
      Sef&Chase
      #HOTTOLINE
      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Ellette Giselle
      @ellette-giselle
        • Total Posts: 1093

@theshadow

Thank you! I’m so glad you like it!
        I’ll keep the 23rd in mind.

@savannah_grace2009

Well thank you so much for the help that you did give me! I’ll miss you!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint @keilah-h

It looks like you two are the only ones left! I wrote a short scene to fill in the gap left by time passage, and I wondered what y’all thought.

It wasn’t long before Darrien came home with a little boy and girl in tow. They were twins, about nine or ten years old.

Aaron and the rest were in the kitchen talking when Darrien came into the kitchen. “Sabina, I brought an addition to your family.”

Sabina jumped up with an exclamation of delight. “Come sit down, I’ll get you something hot to eat,” she coxed the children.”

Aaron jumped up so the children could sit alone on the bench. The boy eyed him warily, and then he and his sister sat down. Alicia began making them something to eat, and Sabina ran upstairs to get a room ready, while Darrien went to wash up for supper. The two children sat silent, their wide eyes reminding Aaron of startled rabbits.

After a moment of silence, Noah leaned forward. The boy jumped a little, and the girl looked up at him with wide eyes. Noah smiled at her and held up his hand. In his fingers was a coin. The children watched it, and all at once it vanished. Even Aaron was a little startled, and he looked closer. Noah opened his other hand, and the coin was there. He flicked his fingers and it was gone. A small gasp escaped the boy, and he leaned a little closer to Noah.

Noah flipped the coin into the air and caught it. He held out his palm to show them the coin was there. He closed his hand and blew on it. When he opened his hand again, the coin had vanished. Noah held up a finger, signaling the children to watch. He reached out his hand and grabbed the invisible coin between his thumb and finger. He tossed his inadvisable coin and caught it. Opening his hand, he showed the children the coin sitting on his palm. The little girl giggled. Noah closed his hand again and blew on it. When he opened it, there were two coins. He held one out in each hand, and the children cautiously took them.

Noah glanced up at Aaron and winked. Aaron grinned in return. Both children were smiling now, and almost all the tension had left their little shoulders.

At that moment Alicia brought in two steaming bowls of soup for the children. She set them at the table and then came Aaron’s side. “Better add vegetables to the prayer list,” she whispered.

Aaron raised a questioning eyebrow.

Alicia nodded to the children’s bowls. “That was the last of them.”

Aaron nodded. “God will see us through. He hasn’t failed us yet, and He never will.”

Ellette Giselle
          @ellette-giselle

K, I added anther as well.

One afternoon Aaron and Noah returned from doing a few odd jobs for a friend in exchange for a new pair of boots. When they came in sight of the orphanage, the door crashed open and out tumbled Joseph and several other boys. “Noah! Noah do a trick!” cried Asher.

“A trick?” asked Noah. “What do you mean a trick?”

“Oh you know!” Joseph exclaimed, tugging on his arm.

“Please Noah,” begged another child.

Noah shook his head. “I don’t have any idea–– wait a minute! What’s this!” He reached out a pulled a coin from Eric’s ear.

The children cheered in delight and Noah flipped the coin to the boy. He turned to Joseph. “You really aught to comb that unruly hair of yours! It’s so messy you could fit anything in it!” He tussled the boy’s hair as he spoke, and when he drew his hand away, there were two coins between his first and second finger. Noah jumped back and stared at Joseph in shock, while the children shrieked with laughter.

Noah passed out the two coins and looked at the five remaining boys. “It seems you haven’t gotten a coin.” He shook his head thoughtfully. “Oh, I’ve got it!” he exclaimed, snapping his fingers. Instantly a coin appeared.

The children jumped up and down, clapping and calling fore more. After a few more tricks, Noah supplied every child with a coin, and the boys raced back inside, chattering excitedly. Aaron laughed and shoved his hands in his pockets. “Wish I could produce money out of thin air to feed them!”

Noah snapped his wrist in a quick circle, and a coin appeared between his thumb and finger. He flipped it to Aaron. “There you go.”

Aaron laughed again.

The door opened and Darrien stepped outside. “Welcome home. Any luck?”

“Got a pair of boots,” replied Aaron. “You?”

“Nothing on my end, but a woman stopped by with some fresh bread,” replied Darrien. He turned to Noah. “You know, we could have used those coins to buy some clothing for those boys.”

Noah swatted the air dismissively. “Oh Darrien, let them have their fun. I can tell you that the memories they are going to hold onto are the times when we gave them joy, not new clothes.”

“He’s actually right this time,” agreed Aaron.

Noah sniffed. “I’m always right.”

Darrien elbowed him in the ribs.

“These children are starving for love and joy,” continued Aaron, ignoring the little scuffle. “What Noah is doing may be of more value then food and clothing. It certainly takes the edge off their hunger by distracting them with something fun and exciting.”

Darrien consented. “Still, do be careful about how often you do that until you are actually pulling money from thin air,” he warned.

Ellette Giselle
            @ellette-giselle

Ok, here is the next section.

One night, as Aaron sat studying his Bible in the room he shared with Noah and Darrien, a timid nock came on the door.

“Come in,” said Aaron, without looking up.

The door creaked open and quiet steps pattered across the floor and came to the small table where Aaron sat. A hand touched his arm. “Aaron?”

Aaron turned and smiled down at Joseph. “Well hello, I wasn’t expecting you,” he said kindly, as he pushed his chair away from the table and turned to face the boy. “What do you need?” he inquired gently.

“I have something very important to talk to you about,” said Joseph, looking at Aaron with large serious eyes.

Aaron nodded soberly. “Alright then, I’m listening.”

Joseph put his hands behind his back and looked up at Aaron. “I don’t want to go.”

Aaron raised an eyebrow in surprise. “What do you mean?”

“Sabina told us tonight that God would provide a place for each of us, and she said He had already brought loving families to take some of the children. I don’t want to be taken,” explained Joseph.

“But they are kind people and will be a mother and father to you,” Aaron said.

Joseph shook his head. “I don’t want them. I already have a Father; God.”

“But don’t you want an earthly mother and father, like the father you had?” Aaron asked softly.

“Oh I have that too,” replied Joseph.

“Do you?” asked Aaron, an eyebrow arched. “And who might they be?”

“Well, Sabina is my mother, and you are my father,” said Joseph, very decidedly.

Aaron was taken aback and he laughed in surprise.

“It’s true,” Joseph insisted firmly.

Aaron bit back his laughter. “But Joseph, I’m too young to be a father, and Sabina is too young to be a mother. Besides, parents are married to each other.”

“How old are you?” asked Joseph, looking Aaron up and down.

Aaron paused a moment, trying to decide what month it was, never mind the day. “I think I’m going to turn nineteen very soon, maybe even in a few days,” he said slowly. “I sort of lost track of time after everything.”

“Sabina turned seventeen last week, she told me so,” stated Joseph.

Seventeen? wondered Aaron. That was fast! “Well, even if we were old enough, we still can’t be parents. We aren’t married.”

“Then get married,” replied Joseph.

“It’s not like that,” Aaron said hurriedly. “You can’t just ‘get married’. You have to get to know the person, then the young man asked the girl to marry him, but only if God leads him to do so. If she also feels God telling her that the young man is the right one, then she will agree. Then they get married.”

“I should think you would know Sabina by now! How long does it take?” exclaimed Joseph, he dismissed that part with a nod. “So, since you know her, why don’t you propose? Come on, I’ll come with you,” he added, grabbing Aaron’s hand.

“Whoa, hang on a minute!” exclaimed Aaron. “It just doesn’t work that way. Something like this takes a lot of time and prayer. You can’t just know a girl and go proposing. You have to pray and wait, and you have to watch, and you have to love her.”

“That shouldn’t be hard. Everyone loves Sabina,” replied Joseph.

“Yes, but this is a special love between a man and woman,” Aaron said carefully.

Joseph turned to face him fully. “Do you love Sabina?”

Aaron smiled. “We’ll have to see.”

Joseph pulled away and spun toward the door. “I’ll go ask her if she loves you.”

“Now hold on here little man,” exclaimed Aaron, grabbing hold of the eager boy and swinging him up onto his lap. “This is something very important, and it will be between me, Sabina, and most importantly, God. Do you understand?”

Joseph nodded.

“Now, I will talk to Sabina about letting you stay, but as for us getting married, that will not come yet. If at all.”

“Thank you Aaron,” smiled Joseph. “But, I don’t just want you to get married so I can stay,” he added slowly.

“No?” asked Aaron.

“No, I want you to get married because I love you both and I want you to be my parents,” said Joseph decidedly.

Aaron smiled. “I love you too.”

“Do you know what Aaron,” began Joseph, leaning to the side so that he could look up at him. “When I grow up I want to be just like you. I want to tell people about Jesus like you. I want to be like you in everything.”

For a moment Aaron felt a little choked, and he didn’t reply. He hugged Joseph tightly and regained his voice. “You can start right now by telling the other children about Jesus.”

“Oh yes!” exclaimed Joseph.

“Joseph, don’t say anything about Sabin and I, alright.”

Joseph nodded.

“You can help us both by praying that God will give us wisdom and that His perfect will be done. Not ours,” said Aaron.

“Oh I will,” promised Joseph.

Aaron smiled. “Good. Now off to bed, little man.”

“Good night,” said Joseph, sliding off of Aaron’s lap and running to the door. He turned and smiled, and then slipped into the hallway.

Aaron let out a deep breath and leaned back in his chair. “Father, what am I to do?” he whispered. He looked out the window at the dark city, small pools of torchlight scattered here and there. He stood up and slipped out of the room and down the hall. Once outside, Aaron took the steps to the roof two at a time. He stepped onto the roof and stood there for a long time, letting the breeze blow around him.

Aaron dropped down and leaned back to look at the stars. The summer night was clear and the light breeze made a dent in the stifling heat. Aaron looked out over the city and then sat still; thinking. Joseph had brought up a subject that had long dwelt in the back of Aaron’s mind since Sabina had accepted Christ. She is kind, gentle, a strong Christian, she loves children, she’s beautiful… But how do I know she is right? “Father, lead me in this, help me see. I know I can very easily make a mistake right now, but You never make mistakes. Give me wisdom and guidance,” he said softly.

It was then that he had an idea. Why not go through the Bible and see what it says a wife and Godly young woman should be? He thought for a long time, remembering which books and passages talked the most about this. Well, Proverbs 31 for sure, and then there is 1 Timothy, and Titus too. Those will be good places to start. Then a new thought came to him. Am I supposed to get married? He wasn’t sure. “Am I?” he asked. “Father, this has been something, a distant hope, for a while now, but I have never felt it so strongly until this past month. Did You send Joseph to me to help me to take this next step, or are his innocent words a temptation meant to distract me from the work You have set before me? Oh, how wonderful it would be to have a wife helping me. Someone to work with, both of us striving together, side by side for the Gospel. How I long for that, and yet maybe it is not what You have for me. Sabina is a wonderful, Godly young woman, but did You intend her for me? Do You intend for me to have a wife at all?” Aaron sighed. “Now is one of those moments that I wish I could hear You speak as a friend and I might speak. I want all the answers now! Why can’t I have them now? I can’t see my way right now… but You can. I trust You to help me and guide me. I know You will make my path clear when You choose to do so.”

Aaron sat for a long time, letting the cooling breeze and God’s peace wash over him. He did not know how long it was, but after some time he heard steps, and turning saw a figure step out onto the roof. “Is that you Noah?” he asked, wondering if his friend was needing help on the study he would lead in a few days.

“No, it’s Sabina,” replied a gentle voice.

Aaron started, and for a moment nervousness overcame him. He steadied himself, knowing he must act normal or she would think something was wrong. “Do you need something?”

“No, I just came up to pray,” replied Sabina, coming into full view. “I love to look at the stars and talk to God, and it is much nicer out here then inside.

“That’s what I was doing,” Aaron said, partly surprised and partly please that she did the same thing. Steady, don’t get distracted! Let God lead you.

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to interrupt your prayer,” Sabina exclaimed.

“Oh no, I was just thinking when you came up,” Aaron assured her. He got to his feet. “It is quite a lovely night, I’ll let you have it all to yourself to enjoy.”

“Thank you,” smiled Sabina. “It is quite peaceful.”

Aaron hesitated, wondering if now would be a good time to bring up Joseph’s wish to stay. No, we both want to remain pure and blameless. Being alone out here with her at night, even if we are only talking, is not the best thing to do. “Goodnight then,” said Aaron. Without taking a moment to let himself be argued out of the decision, he hurried down the stairs.

Linus Smallprint
              @linus-smallprint
                • Total Posts: 401

@ellette-giselle

Noah’s trickery, which he learned when gambling, has now become a way to entertain children. I like it!

“Then get married,” replied Joseph.

Ah, the little boy who knows everything and has a ‘simple’ solution to every problem. I know this character. Remind me, how old is Joseph? 10 or 11, right?

Looking forward to the next part.

Ellette Giselle
                @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Noah’s trickery, which he learned when gambling, has now become a way to entertain children. I like it!

YES! That’s what I was thinking!

Ah, the little boy who knows everything and has a ‘simple’ solution to every problem. I know this character. Remind me, how old is Joseph? 10 or 11, right?

haha! I LOVE Joseph. He is so funny. He’s that super serious kid that has some of the most interesting thoughts that completely make sense to his brain. lolol.

The part where he says, “I’m going to go ask Sabina is she loves you” nearly made me die when I was writing it!

He’s ten….. unless that seems to old for the way he acts. I have a hard time writing little kids, cause my younger sister has an 8 year age gap between my youngest brother, and she acts like a short teenager. lol.

Linus Smallprint
                  @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

He’s ten….. unless that seems to old for the way he acts.

Nahw, it works. My 14-year-old brother still gives us ‘simple’ solutions to problems that make sense to him so that he can do what he wants. Thankfully, none of them have involved me getting married.

The reason why I asked is with only a 9-year gap between him and Aaron, does he see Aaron as his big brother at times? (Or does Aaron see him as a little brother?)

Ellette Giselle
                    @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Aaron might see him as a little brother, but to Joseph Aaron stepped into the place of father when Joseph’s own father died on the walls. I think it might have been more of a big brother little brother relationship if Aaron hadn’t of been right there to fill that gap when Joseph lost his father.

Noah and Darrien have more of a brother relationship with Joseph.

Does that make sense.

Also, curious, why did you ask?

Linus Smallprint
                      @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

Just was wondering if Aaron might feel a little weird about being a Dad to Joseph because of the small age gap and perhaps promise to be a big brother to the boy instead, but seems you are heading in the direction of Aaron and Sabina getting married and being parents to Joseph.

Ellette Giselle
                        @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

I don’t think that will be too much of a problem. Aaron has stepped into a sort of parent roll with the children. (All of the young adults have.)

but seems you are heading in the direction of Aaron and Sabina getting married and being parents to Joseph.

So it seems.

Ellette Giselle
                          @ellette-giselle

Here you go, my two faithful readers! 😀

The next morning, Aaron met Sabina in the hall. Noah was with him, so he felt comfortable talking to her. “Sabina, can I speak to you a moment?”

“Of course,” replied Sabina. “Is everything alright?”

Aaron nodded. “Last night, Joseph came to me and asked if he could stay here and not be adopted. He says he loves the people here, and he doesn’t want to leave. He feels this is his home.”

Sabina smiled. “I would love for him to stay. I love all the children, and I am so happy when they are taken into a good home. But, I have always had a special love for Joseph, and I think it would brake my heart to see him go. If you think this is a wise choice, then I say yes, let him stay.”

Aaron turned to his friend. “Noah?”

“I agree,” replied Noah. “If the boy has made this his home there is no reason to uproot him again. Just don’t become so fond of all the children. This building wont hold them and the rest that are sure to come.”

Sabina and Aaron laughed.

Some time later, Aaron escaped to the roof with his Bible, quill, ink jar, and journal. Settling down on the roof, Aaron spread his things out. Then he bowed his head. “Father, guide me and speak to me.”

Aaron went to Proverbs 31 first, and read through the passage, starting at verse ten.

‘An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle. She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet. She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple. Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant. Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.’

“There sure is a lot here,” Aaron murmured to himself. “And this is just the first passage!” He began taking down notes and then moved on to 1 Timothy. It was a good three or more hours that Aaron studied. At last, he organized all his notes. When he was finished, he wrote down his list on a blank page.

Her husband must be able to trust her in all things. She must be a hard worker at home. A keeper of the home. Sober remaining self controlled. Diligent. Wise and thrifty. Generous and caring. Has God-given strength and dignity. Fears the Lord. One who will love her children. One who will love her husband. Chaste. Obedient to her husband. Good. Helps others in need. Fears the Lord. Not idle. Wears modest apparel. Learns in quietness without having authority over, or teaching, men. Not a busybody or tattler. Not one who is contentious. One who is wise and speaks with kindness. Submissive to her husband. Her husband’s closest friend. Pure and righteous. Teachable.

Aaron let out a deep breath. “That’s a lot. Father, help me to keep these things in mind as I watch Sabina. If she is not the right one, then please make it clear. If she is, then help me to see it. Give me wisdom. I know that there is no woman in the world who can be perfect, but let me at least see that she has many of these qualities and is striving to have more of them.”

Even then, Aaron did not move. Is there something I am missing? He wondered. Then he knew. Sabina may be ready for marriage, but am I? God doesn’t just talk about the woman, there is a lot the man has to do as well. In fact, maybe even more! Aaron picked up his Bible and smiled. He would be up here for a long time… but it was worth it.

After another few hours, Aaron had a list of traits that a Godly husband must have. These he wrote down beside the ones for a wife.

He must be a strong leader. He must be blameless. He must be above reproach even in the eyes of non Christians. Not self willed. Should not be easily angered. Not given to drinking. Not a striker. Not controlled or ruled by desire for money, regardless if he gains it by good or bad methods. He must have obedient children. The husband and lover of one woman. A lover of hospitality. A companion of good men. Sober and self controlled. Just and innocent. Not one who shows partiality. He must hold fast to the Word of God and be ready with a defense of his faith. A teacher of his family by word and deed. He must be humble. Vigilant and watchful. Not a new convert but a strong believer. He must strive to become spiritually perfect and pure. His wife’s closest friend. Her protector. He must be sacrificial. The provider of his family. Full of the Holy spirit and faith. A man of Biblical grace and power. He must be willing to give his life for her.

Aaron ran a hand through his hair and let out a long breath. “That is a lot. Some of these traits I have, but there are others that I need to work on. Father, help me to become the man you want me to be. Help me to master these traits and love and honor You. Show me Your will.”

After some time, Aaron heard steps and turned to see Noah and Darrien.

“Is everything alright?” Aaron asked.

“Yes,” replied Darrien. “We were just looking for you. Do you mind if we join you?”

“Of course not,” Aaron said, motioning for them to take a seat.

The two sat down and looked at Aaron expectantly. Aaron laughed. “Alright, what is it?”

“Well, we were wondering where you had gone, because you normally don’t miss two meals in a row,” began Noah.

“Oh,”replied Aaron, looking up at the sun. “I didn’t realize how late it had gotten. I forgot about breakfast, and I suppose dinner is over as well.”

“Yes, you’ll just have to have an extra big supper,” suggested Darrien, with a mischievous grin.

Aaron laughed. “I hope everything is alright and no one needed me.”

“No, everything has been pretty normal,” replied Noah. “So, what have you been doing that is so interesting?”

“Studying,” said Aaron, motioning to his Bible and journal.

“Can you tell us what you have been learning?” Noah asked eagerly.

Aaron laughed. “It’s not like that.”

Darrien looked confused. “Not like what?”

“You two wouldn’t understand. Maybe when your older––” Aaron broke off, seeing the looks the two gave him. Then he laughed at himself. “I forgot, both of you are older then I am.”

Darrien nodded and Noah elbowed him good naturally. “So, what have you been studying? I’m really interested now.”

Aaron smiled and looked at the ground. Then he took a deep breath. “Qualifications and traits for a Godly husband and wife,” he said all in one breath.

Noah and Darrien exchanged a look and grinned.

“What?” Aaron asked.

“Oh, don’t think we haven’t noticed Aaron,” chuckled Darrien.

Noah raised an eyebrow and nodded. “We know you Aaron. I think you have wanted a wife for some time now, and it has become clear who you are considering.”

Aaron sighed in frustration. “Is it that obvious! I thought I was being really careful!”

“No, no, you don’t have to worry,” Noah assured. “I don’t think anyone else knows. But we know you very well, almost like brothers, and we can see.”

“It impresses me that you have taken this to God and are trying to learn all you can before you make a move. It displays strong faith and character,” added Darrien.

Noah nodded. “He’s right. A lot of young men would rush into this blindly.”

“Well, now that you know, you might as well see what I have been doing,” said Aaron, handing his journal to Darrien.

Noah looked over Darrien’s shoulder, and the two young men read silently for a moment, then they looked up. “It is amazing that you take the time to do this,” said Noah. “In fact, can you tell me what passages you used? I would like to do something similar. No,” he added hurriedly, seeing the looks the other two gave him. “I’m not interested in anyone at the moment. However, it is always good to know what I need to perfect in myself and look for in her.”

“I agree,” nodded Darrien.

“So… what do you think of… what would you say if… do you think that we…” Aaron was having difficultly putting the question that he so anxiously longed to hear the answer to into words.

“Do we think you and Sabina are meant for each other,” grinned Darrien.

“Yes, and be honest. I want to know your opinion, but it will be God who will lead me in this,” replied Aaron.

Noah smiled. “I honestly think you two are perfect for each other. You both have a passion for the Lord, you both love children, you make a perfect team, and I believe both of you posses the qualities you put here.”

Darrien nodded. “From what I have seen, I would agree with Noah. Sabina is a wonderful girl, and I think she would make an excellent wife.”

Aaron nodded, almost dizzy with relief. It’s not just me being blind, others see it to! He thought a moment and then gestured to his journal. “Well, what do you two think I need to work on the most?”

Noah looked back over the list, deep in thought. At last, he spoke, “I believe you have, or are committed to having, all of these. I think you honestly just need to work on perfecting and honing them.”

Darrien nodded. “Though, if I were to pull out something, I would say you could work on your humility.”

Humility?” Aaron asked in shock.

Darrien shrugged uncomfortably and looked to Noah.

“I don’t think you’re a prideful person, Aaron,” began Noah. “But… sometimes I feel like you have started to think that you are the one saving Ardenta, or you are the one providing for the children here. While you have sacrificed so much and done so much, it is still God who is saving and providing.”

Aaron looked down. “I see what you both mean.”

“I think that ultimately can come from a lack of faith that God will really do what He says He will do,” Noah continued, gently. “You have a very strong faith, Aaron. You wouldn’t of come here if you didn’t. However, we all know you face times of doubt. We all do. But, you need to be watchful and vigilant, measuring your thoughts and actions against God’s word.”

Aaron nodded and looked up at them. “Thank you for being willing to be honest with me, even though it wasn’t pleasant.”

Noah reached out and gripped his shoulder. “We’ll pray with you and for you, Aaron.”

“We’re both here and ready to listen,” added Darrien. “You don’t have to struggle against this alone, Aaron.”

“Thank you,” replied Aaron, touched by his friends’ kindness and care.

“Let’s pray right now, if you’re willing,” suggested Noah.

Aaron nodded, and the three bowed their heads. Noah began. “Lord, thank You so much for sending Aaron to us. Thank You for giving him the strength and faith to listen to Your call. Thank You for giving him love and compassion for us. I pray that You will be with him as he faces a new challenge in his life. Guide him as he considers the possibility of marriage. Make Your will known to him and help him to trust You completely.”

Darrien reached out a laid his hand on Aaron’s other shoulder. “Lord, thank You so much for making Yourself know to us through Aaron’s faithful teaching. Lord, help him now as he embarks on this new part of his life. Raise him up to be the man You have called him to be. Strengthen his faith and fill him with Your spirit. Guide him down the path You have set before him, and help him to trust You. Help Noah and I to strengthen and encourage him. Lord, if it is Your will for Aaron and Sabina to get married, then I ask that You would make it clear. If it is not, then please make that clear also, and give Aaron comfort and peace.”

When Darrien finished, Aaron tried to pray, but for a moment his voice was too choked for him to speak. The love of his friends–– no, brothers–– was almost overwhelming. At last, Aaron found his voice. “Lord, I thank You so much for Darrien and Noah. Their friendship is a blessing beyond any that I had hoped for. Thank You so much that they have the courage to speak, and the care to pray with me like this. Please Lord, I pray that You would guide me. He me to trust You and help me to let You lead. Lord, help me to perfect in myself the things You have told me I must have. Help me to become the man You have called me to be. Give me unwavering faith in You, even when all seems dark and hopeless. Help me to trust You in all things and not rely on myself for deliverance or provision. Please be with Sabina right now. Draw her close to Your side and give her peace. Help us both to follow Your lead rather then our feelings. In the name of Your Son we pray, amen.”

When they had finished praying, the three were quiet. The wind blew about them, and Aaron smiled as he looked out across the city. What lay before him was going to be the second most important decision in his life, yet he felt more peace then he could ever remember having felt. At last he looked over at his two friends. “So, I don’t know how to move forward in this. You see, I would speak to her father, brother, or guardian, but she has none of these. In fact, I am her guardian, or so was the dying wish of her brother.”

Noah and Darrien looked at each other, seeming to decide whether or not to say something. At last, Noah spoke. “Aaron, I can confidently say you would have Turin’s blessing in this. Not only did he chose you as Sabina’s guardian, but he spoke to Darrien and I about you, saying that he believed you were a Godly young man and he would love it if you were the one his sister was to marry.”

Aaron stared at them, unsure of what to say. “Why didn’t you–– didn’t he–– tell me!”

Noah laughed. “Aaron, your not thinking clearly. No one would ever say anything until God revealed it to you in His timing, if that was His will.”

Aaron laughed a little breathlessly. “You’re right.” Then he sobered. “What do you think I should do now?”

“I think you should spend some more time in prayer,” began Noah. “Then, when you are sure that God has given you peace in the matter and is leading you forward, I would suggest you speak to Sabina and ask her if she would be willing to get top know you better with the intention of marriage.”

“Noah and I will be here to pray, watch, and help in any way we can, and I’m sure Alicia would be more then willing to help as well,” added Darrien.

Aaron let out a slow breath and smiled. “Thank you both. I believe this is wise, and I will certainly value your thoughts and insights. After all, you would be caught up in the moment like I know I will be.”

Darrien nodded and Noah slapped Aaron on the back. “We’ll pray for you, Aaron. And, we’re both very excited for you.”

Aaron nodded and grinned. “Well, who’s ready for supper?”

Linus Smallprint
                            @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

“You two wouldn’t understand. Maybe when your older––” Aaron broke off, seeing the looks the two gave him. Then he laughed at himself. “I forgot, both of you are older then I am.”

Arron, you are really letting responsibility get to you too much. My brother tells me this when he’s trying to be funny.

Aaron is really studying his Bible to determine if he should marry Sabina seriously.

Some feedback I have for you:

Aaron went to Proverbs 31 first, and read through the passage, starting at verse ten.

‘An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle. She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet. She makes bed coverings for herself; her clothing is fine linen and purple. Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant. Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.’

“There sure is a lot here,” Aaron murmured to himself. “And this is just the first passage!” He began taking down notes and then moved on to 1 Timothy. It was a good three or more hours that Aaron studied. At last, he organized all his notes. When he was finished, he wrote down his list on a blank page.

Her husband must be able to trust her in all things. She must be a hard worker at home. A keeper of the home. Sober remaining self controlled. Diligent. Wise and thrifty. Generous and caring. Has God-given strength and dignity. Fears the Lord. One who will love her children. One who will love her husband. Chaste. Obedient to her husband. Good. Helps others in need. Fears the Lord. Not idle. Wears modest apparel. Learns in quietness without having authority over, or teaching, men. Not a busybody or tattler. Not one who is contentious. One who is wise and speaks with kindness. Submissive to her husband. Her husband’s closest friend. Pure and righteous. Teachable.

I don’t think it is nessasary to include the whole Proverbs passage. I would maybe include the one or two verses in the beginning and include the passage so that the reader can look it up. As I finish off the second verse, I would cut off to say, ‘As he read, Aaron took down notes and then moved on to 1 Timothy.’ I don’t think there were any here, but if there was a verse that especially stood out to Aaron, I would include that.

Part of why I say this is because when we see his notes, we get a lot of repeats of what makes a Godly wife, but this is not necessary and may bore the reader, even if it is important. But if you spend too much time telling us about what Aaron is learning, we might view this as a mini sermon, and not end up paying that much attention to it. Keep telling your lessons balanced with telling your story and if you want to go deeper into these truths, show them. Perhaps, while Aaron considers Sabina, we can see some of these traits in her and how they make her a good potential wife for Aaron. If, while reading Aaron’s notes, wants to double check if those qualities really are in the Bible, he or she can then look it up with the passage you provide.

Also, I might cut out the that it was three or more hours until he finished this. Noah and Darrien let him know of the time that passed later on.

“Well, we were wondering where you had gone, because you normally don’t miss two meals in a row,” began Noah.

“Oh,” replied Aaron, looking up at the sun. “I didn’t realize how late it had gotten. I forgot about breakfast, and I suppose dinner is over as well.”

If you don’t mention the time passing earlier, then both the reader and Aaron are surprised by how much time he has spent on the roof. But you are showing here. You aren’t just telling us that Aaron is taking this seriously, you are showing how he is losing track of the time in his studies, and that is good.

Anyway, that is the feedback I got for you on this chapter. I hope you find it helpful.

Linus Smallprint
                              @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

I should also mention, it is good you include this scene. If you can inspire your readers to think of marriage more Biblically, that is excellent, especially in this day and age. Use Aaron and your story to guide your reader to think about this more deeply.

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 4732

@ellette-giselle aww Joseph is so cute, and the fact that he’s like “I have parents! You’re my parents!” is too funny.

also, one little issue I have: maybe wait till Sabina’s at least 18? I’m 17 and I wouldn’t marry a guy now even if I knew him very well. My mom got married at 17 but I was under the impression she was the exception.

I’m also glad you took the time to talk about what a godly marriage is like. That’s something that gets really attacked these days.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 478 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >