WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques WIP: Let There Be Light, Book 1 of The Flames of Hope Trilogy

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 478 total)
  • Author
    Ellette Giselle
    @ellette-giselle
      • Total Posts: 1093

@linus-smallprint

Wow, thank you so much! This is very helpful.

Yes, I will definitely talk to the boys (my brothers) about this, though they are a lot younger then Aaron and Turin, so it might be different for them, (right?)

Thanks again so much for taking the time to write all this out and explain it! This is totally going to help so much!

I get what you mean about being kinda an outcast. I like doing things on my own a lot, but I also love people, and it’s hard to find the balance sometimes. lol.

Not very surprised, but happy to see it. I’m smiling right now.

Good, I’m glad! At least I got that section right!

Also, what do you think about a child being the only one to believe and step forward in that whole crowd?

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Linus Smallprint
      @linus-smallprint
        • Total Posts: 401

Also, what do you think about a child being the only one to believe and step forward in that whole crowd?

This is interesting. This could result in others thinking that Aaron’s beliefs are childish. (I am trying to imagine Turin’s reaction to this, but he could also be dismissed for being a young man.)

Ellette Giselle
        @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

Interesting. My line of thinking was that the Bible says A.) the world will see us as fools and the gospel will sound foolish to them, and B.) Christ said to let the children come to him, for of such is the kingdom of heaven, and unless we believe like children we will not enter.

Ellette Giselle
          @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint @theshadow @whalekeeper  @savannah_grace2009(I’ll tag you in case you still want to keep reading this)

Ok, here is the next part. It’s pretty short, but i have some edits to run on the part after, which is very long.

It took some time for the crowd to disperse. Only one child had believed, but Aaron was far from discouraged. He was learning to trust God’s timing. After all, Turin had come around. Perhaps what helped Aaron was what happened with Sabina. He wasn’t sure yet, but he had high hopes for the meaning of what he had just seen.

Aaron slowly waded out of the water and climbed up onto the floor. Noah gave him a hand and he and Darrien smiled widely at Aaron. “It’s begun,” said Noah.

Aaron looked up through the broken roof. “Thank you Father. Strengthen and bless those who have come to know You in Ardenta, and please help them to draw closer to You.”

Noah and Darrien murmured their agreement. They were silent for a moment. Then, Aaron spoke. “Did either of you see where Sabina and Turin went?”

“No, was Sabina here?” asked Noah.

“Yes,” replied Aaron. He walked across the floor and out into the sunshine, followed by the others.

Sabina was sitting on a piece of broken stone, talking to the little boy. Turin and the boy’s father were standing a few feet away. They looked up and nodded to Aaron and his companions. Aaron walked over to Sabina, who had her back turned. “Sabina,” he said, quietly.

Sabina turned and looked up at him. A smile crossed her face and her eyes brightened. “Aaron!” she exclaimed, getting to her feet. “Thank you.”

“For what?” asked Aaron.

“For never giving up on me, even when I was being mean and stubborn. I deserved a good slap and a telling off, but you were gentle and kind. In the end, I could no longer be stubborn and shut my ears to what you were saying. I knew all along it was the truth, but I wanted to fight it. I… I was frightened and I was angry with you. It wasn’t right of me to be so. Today, I just had to come, and when I heard you speaking I was moved inside. I started crying, and then I saw Jospeh here,” she nodded to the boy. “He let go of everything and came straight to you. Once I saw that, I couldn’t hold out any longer. I believer, Aaron.”

“Oh Sabina, I am so happy for you! Oh thank you Lord” cried Aaron, excited that his hopes had been correct.

“Aaron,” continued Sabina, gravely. “Can I still be baptized without lots of people watching? I… I’m afraid of people and I don’t like being around strangers.”

“Yes,” said Aaron. “Of course you can.”

Turin joined them and took Sabina’s hand. He Aaron, Sabina, Noah, Darrien, and the boy and his father walked back into the building. Aaron and Turin got into the water, and Turin lifted Sabina in. He took her hand again and led her to Aaron. There, Sabina made a confession of faith before the small company, and Turin placed her hand in Aaron’s. Aaron looked down at her and saw that she was trembling with excitement and fear, but her eyes were full of hope. Aaron joyfully baptized her, and then stepped back as Sabina flung herself into her brother’s arms and the two embraced, laughing with joy.

Aaron smiled. Oh Father, thank You!

Keilah H.
            @keilah-h
              • Total Posts: 4732

@ellette-giselle oooh this is so cool!! The only issue being that because of the fact that you have all the parts of the story scattered through the forum, it’s a bit hard for me to sift through all the replies. Is there a document you can put it all on so I can just read through the whole thing? It’s ok if not.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
              @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h

Oh, I hadn’t even thought of that. Yes, let me see…….. what if I post everything that I have shared on here in one long message? I work with LibreOffice which is outdated and for old computers like the one I use. I think this would be easiest.

Ellette Giselle
                @ellette-giselle

@keilah-h @Anyone_who_joins_this_late_and_doesn’t_want_to_sift

Ok, let’s see if this will send…………

The Flames of Hope Trilogy

Book 1

Let There Be Light

And God said,

“Let there be light,”

and there was light…

~Genesis 1:3

Long ago there was a small kingdom called Ardenta. It was a beautiful land, known for it’s skillful architecture and beautiful scenery. It was a peaceful country for the most part, and the people cared more for farming and building than they did for wars, conquest and fighting. The people of the land were tall, with dark hair and eyes. They were often quite, and they were wary and suspicious of strangers. Travelers seldom passed through their lands for they found the people reserved and unwilling to interact with strangers. Many described them as being like deer, beautiful, shy and swift. Some thought this odd, others thought of them as unfriendly, and still others didn’t care the least bit. But some saw these things as an advantage to take over the small country. One emperor in particular was bent on making Ardenta a province of his empire. Unexpectedly, this emperor launched an attack on the small country, and one by one towns and villages fell into his hands and he turned his sights on the beautiful capital; Darvora.

In the country of Vendailia there was a town called Bentiea. It was a small town, mostly built around the market. It was in a neat little house at the end of the street where the minister, his daughter, and foster son lived.

The Minister’s Fosterling was in the upstairs room of the house, and he was supposed to be studding history with his mentor. Apparently, his mind was on other things, for he was staring at the wall, spinning his quill slowly through his fingers in a circle, making a mess of ink on the table and parchment. His teacher, a tall man with a hawk-like nose was standing facing the window, a wide leather volume in his hands. He was talking, but his young student was not paying attention. At last he turned and noticed the state of his supposed listener. “Aaron,” he said. “Aaron Dalvarian are you listening?”

Aaron jerked his head up. “What?”

“It is courteous of you to return to this world,” said his teacher, his eyebrows arched. “Where, may I ask, were you?”

“A war,” replied Aaron, his eyes turning to the window. “In Ardenta,” he added slowly.

“Well, would you be so kind as to come home from war and finish your studies?” asked his teacher, slightly annoyed and slightly sympathetic, for of all his students, the minister’s adopted son was his favorite. “Aaron,” he said again.

Aaron turned away from the window, the far away look leaving his face. “I’m sorry sir,” he said, running a hand through his blond hair that remained in a constant state of disorder. “I guess I’m not all the way here today.”

“I can see that,” replied his teacher. He came to the table and sat down beside his student. “Tell me, what about wars are you so intrigued in? Perhaps we could turn our studies to some of the great battles fought in the past.”

“Oh it’s not wars that I’m really interested in,” replied Aaron. “I was thinking about the people.”

“Hmm, there have not really been any heroes worth mentioning in the war that has your mind, but I’m sure you would be interested in plenty of others. In fact, I know of many great leaders, tacticians, spies, kings; all sorts of warriors.” he got up and began to peruse the wooden shelves of leather bound volumes. “I’m sure there are some heroes to capture your imagination among these books,” he said.

“Well,” began Aaron, “it wasn’t exactly––”

His teacher continued. “Now here is something you would like. It’s about Sir Danmar Gordanson. I know a great deal about him My friend was his great grandson. I can tell you plenty of stories about his adventures and heroics. Let us leave off that other dull book for the moment shall we?”

That night, Aaron did not speak at the table. Clorinda, his adoptive sister, made up for his lack of conversation. She was full of the news of her dearest friend’s betrothal, and all the plans for the wedding celebration.

Aaron stared at the table, not hearing a word she spoke. His mind was busy working over a serious decision. After supper, he helped Clorinda clear the table and then walked upstairs to his father’s study. He knocked on the door, and his father’s voice invited him in.

“Ah, Aaron, I was expecting you,” said his father, putting down his quill and rising. “Come sit,” he added, motioning to the floor in front of the hearth.

Aaron sat down and his father settled beside him, but far enough away so that he could see the boy’s face clearly. “Have you come to talk to me about what’s been on your mind?” he asked.

“Yes sir,” replied Aaron. He watched the flames dancing on the hearth; gathering his thoughts. At last, he spoke. “I have been thinking about Ardenta.”

“What about it?” asked his father.

“The war some, but mostly the people,” replied Aaron.

“Master Hollyoak told me you had a sudden obsession with war heroes,” smiled his father.

Aaron chuckled. “No, it wasn’t war heroes. I was thinking about all the people. You have told me before that they are a shy people, wary of strangers, and they do not listen to foreign ideas. Is that not what you said?”

“Aye,” sighed his father. “It is. That is why it has been so hard to try to reach them with the Word of God. You would think it would be easy as they speak the common tongue, and are like us in many ways. But alas, they are harder to reach then those who know nothing of the manner of life we live, and who speak strange languages.”

Aaron nodded slowly. “But what about now?”

“Now it would be nearly impossible, for no one dares to go there with the war, and I am sure they would be even less inclined to hear from strangers.”

“But what if someone were to go to them and live among them, helping them, working with them, fighting with them, facing what they face, suffering what they suffer, living where they live. Would they not be inclined to listen? Perhaps just a few at first, but then more and more. Wouldn’t it catch their attention that someone would come to their war-torn country and live with them? Wouldn’t they wonder what was so important for that man to put himself in what seems like unnecessary peril?”

His father looked at him uncertainly. “Yes, I suppose it would. But, who would take on this task?” he asked, though he already knew the answer.

Aaron turned to look at him for the first time since the conversation had begun. “Do you remember when my parents died in the fire that nearly destroyed my whole village, yet I was spared?”

His father nodded. “Aye, I remember it well. It was the day my sweet wife passed away. I was distraught and had gone for a ride alone on my horse when I came upon the village and I found you, a young lad of eight. You touched my heart that day, and I believe it was God who brought us together when we needed one another most. Helping you helped to heal me.”

“Do you remember what you told me that night?”

“I told you many things.”

“Well, the one that I have never forgotten is when you were holding me on your lap in this very room, right here on the floor, and you said, ‘Aaron, God rescued you from the fire for a very special reason. I believe theres something very important He is preparing you for.’ I have never forgotten. Even though I had no idea who God was, I knew you were telling me something very special that I should never forget. You cared for me, and you did the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me and ever will; you brought me to Christ. You taught me from the Scriptures and you told me what Christ did for me and how He died for my sins and saved me. There will never be anything more important then the night that I accepted Christ as my Savior and became a child of God. I will never forget the joy that shattered the darkness of the world I had lived in, and of the light that came into my life.” He paused for a long moment, and then looked at his father. “God did save me for something very important. He has been preparing me to go to the people of Ardenta.”

“Are you sure?” asked his father.

“Yes,” replied Aaron firmly. “I have been praying about it for several weeks now, but today I knew. God spoke to my heart, and He told me to go. I have never felt more certain or more confidant of anything in my life.”

His father did not speak for a long time, and the two sat in silence; Aaron looking at his father, and his father looking at the fire.

At last, his father spoke. “What about your studies? Wasn’t it your dream to become one of the historians of the palace?”

“Yes,” replied Aaron.

“Master Hollyoak said he has seen no better student and he would certainly find a place for you in the king’s service.”

Aaron fully faced his father, his eyes searching. “Is there anything more important than obeying God’s calling?”

His father shook his head. “No, I am merely surprised. In a month’s time you could hold a highly honored position among our people, and this is something you have spent many years working to achieve. I am surprised, but I am also proud. It is clear that God has something else planned for your life, and I am filled with joy at seeing you turn away from the world to follow Him. You are young though, barely eighteen, and you are about to throw yourself in the middle of a war, among a people who will not trust you and may not offer you what little protection they themselves have. Are you absolutely sure this is what you are supposed to do?”

“Yes. I have no doubt. These people need Christ, and someone must tell them, more so than ever now that there is a war,” replied Aaron.

“When do you plan to leave?”

“Before the week’s end.”

“So soon?” asked his father.

“Yes. Today I knew I had to leave as soon as possible. I don’t know why, but for some reason God wants me too, I feel it deep inside, He is urging me to go, and He is urging me to go now.”

“Then you are set on this path?” asked his father.

“Yes sir,” replied Aaron. He looked up and saw sorrow in his father’s eyes. “It is nothing that you have done. Nothing in me wants to leave you. You have been a wonderful father to me, and Clorinda has been the dearest older sister anyone could have! You have taught me so much, and I have loved to see you teach the Word of God to the people of the village. You helped me to get my schooling, which I will always be grateful for. This is my home, and I love it here, but I feel God is urging me to go. This life I have been given–– the way He saved me from the fire and you found me, your care and teaching, the love that has been shown to me–– it has all been preparing me for this. You have been a wonderful father, and I thank God for you every day. I will never forget this place or the love you have shown to me.”

His father smiled and put a hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “I am not upset. I am sad to see you leave, for I love you, Aaron. But I could not be more glad or more proud. To see you turn aside from worldly glory and humble yourself to live among a people who will not welcome you. To see you so readily step into the dangers of a war fraught land, serving God and bringing His word to Ardenta… nothing could give me more joy and pride.”

“Aaron! Aaron, wait up!”

Aaron turned and saw his friend running down the road to catch up with him. “Hello Peter.”

“Aaron, what on earth is going on?” demanded Peter.

“What do you mean?” asked Aaron, leaning against the fence that ran next to the road.

“You,” exclaimed Peter. “You’ve been acting as though you lost your wits.”

“How so?”

“Well, first off, your father told my father that his services were no longer needed! Can that be true?”

“Master Hollyoak has been a wonderful teacher, Peter. I told him so myself. But yes, it is true that I will no longer be schooling under him.”

Peter took a moment to sort out his thoughts. “That’s only the beginning. You have started wondering around out here and taking long walks by yourself.”

“I’ve been praying,” replied Aaron.

“Then my sister told me that she saw you in the taylor’s shop getting fitted for a set of clothing made in the traditional style of Ardentan peasants!”

“Yes, that’s true.”

“There is also a rumor that you might be leaving Bentiea!”

“I didn’t take you for one who put much stock in rumors,” teased Aaron.

Peter scowled at him. “Aaron, tell me straight, what is going on.”

“Well, everything that you heard is true. I’m leaving Bentiea. More then that, I’m leaving Vendailia altogether.”

Peter looked at Aaron as if he had just said the sky was green. “Why on earth would you do that?”

“I’m going to Ardenta to bring them God’s word.”

“Ardenta! Aaron are you mad?” cried Peter. “Just in case you forgot, the Empire is about to finish taking that country over.”

“That’s why I have to go in now,” replied Aaron.

“You’ve lost your mind,” retorted Peter.

“Listen Peter, those people need Christ. If the Empire does take them over, what a dark life they will be dragged into! They need hope and they need the truth. More then ever right now.”

“But Aaron, this is the Empire we’re talking about! They’re huge, and they have the largest military in the known world.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that Ardenta doesn’t have a chance. It’s not if the Empire takes them over, it’s when.”

“I know that.”

“Aaron, you aren’t listening. When that country gets taken over, it will become a part of the Empire. You know what that will mean?”

“Yes I do,” replied Aaron.

“No, I don’t think you do. If you really knew what that meant, you would be staying as far away from there as you could,” rejoined Peter.

Aaron raised an eyebrow.

“Aaron, please listen,” said Peter.

“I am listening.”

“The Ardentans won’t be happy to see you to begin with. If, and I mean if, you win their trust, then you will be trapped with them when they are crushed by the Empire. We’ve heard stories of what they do when taking over a kingdom. They fight without honor or mercy. They treat their enemies as rebels. The Imperial soldiers will massacre those who resist, and most likely kill off a good many of the boys and men of fighting age to keep them from rising up. They aren’t going to stop and ask if you’re Ardentan before they kill you. And if you survive the war, what then? You will be living in the Empire, Aaron. The Empire. They practice Polytheism, and they will most certainly force their gods on the Ardentans. Who do you think is the first person they are going to get rid of? The one who is teaching any other way of life or religion then what they want.”

“I have taken all this into consideration, Peter,” replied Aaron.

Peter sighed in frustration. “What about the place in the palace? The king has spoken to my father about you, and he is eager for you to join his court. The king, Aaron! You will go from a fosterling to an honored man in the king’s court.”

“Yes I would,” agreed Aaron. “But Peter, the King of all kings has called me to do something else for Him.”

“You would throw away everything and follow a path you know nothing about? In all likelihood it will only bring pain and death, Aaron.”

“So be it,” replied Aaron. “Peter, are you really trying to dissuade me from following the path God has called me to take?”

Peter looked down. “I just don’t understand, Aaron. It seems like such a… a waste. To throw away such a future in the hope that you could reach a people who will most likely never listen to you.”

Aaron put a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Peter, if the king told you to go and do something that you didn’t understand, you would go, wouldn’t you?”

“Certainly.”

“No matter what he asked?”

“Yes.”

“It is like that for me, but even more so. You should go and study the Scriptures Peter. Seek to find out the truth. I pray you will come to love God as much as I do.”

Peter shrugged dejectedly. “I don’t know, Aaron. I always thought I did know and love Him, yet what you are about to do is something I cannot begin to understand. I wish you wouldn’t go.”

“But I have to, Peter.”

Peter sighed and shook his head. “I don’t understand you at all, Aaron. And neither does the rest of the town. They all think you’ve lost your wits.”

Aaron shrugged. “They may think what they like. It doesn’t change a thing.”

“I wish I understood, and even more then that, I wish you would stay put. You’re going to get hurt Aaron. Most likely killed. Please don’t go.”

“Peter, you will not convince me to change my mind. When I am gone, go to my father and learn from him, as I learned from yours. My father instructed me from the Scriptures, and it is because of him that I have come to know Christ the way I do now.”

“Alright Aaron, I’ll go and learn from him, if only to understand the thing you’re about to do,” replied Peter

Three days later, in the early grey light of dawn, three figures could be seen standing outside the minister’s home. One was a girl, the second was her father, and the other was Aaron. He was dressed in dark grey, slightly bloused pants tucked into black boots. He wore a black vest over a brown shirt with sleeves that come to just below his elbows, and a leather pack on his back. If the people of Vendailia had seen him they would have thought it odd, but Aaron did not mind. This was the dress of the peasants of Ardenta, and he hoped it would help them view him with less fear.

Clorinda gave Aaron a hug, “I’ll pray for you,” she said, kissing him gently on the cheek. She looked up at him, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “I remember the day papa brought you to us. You were such a little thing, with the largest blue eyes I’ve ever seen.”

Aaron laughed, but deep inside he knew he would miss her gentle teasing.

“I love you, little brother,” Clorinda whispered, hugging him again. She stepped back and clasped her hands tightly, trying not to cry.

Aaron’s father embraced him, then he placed his hands on Aaron’s shoulders and looked him in the eye. “Remember, no matter where you are, or what you face, your Father is always at your side. You are never fatherless.” Aaron nodded and his father smiled. “I’m proud of you Aaron.”

“Thank you,” Aaron replied, his voice slightly hoarse.

His father slowly let him go, and Aaron stepped back. “Farewell until we meet again.”

Then he turned and walked down the path, to the road. Pausing to look back, he saw his father standing with an arm about Clorinda. They waved, and Aaron raised a hand in return. Then he started down the road, his steps light and his shoulders straight; eager to follow his heavenly Father’s call.

Aaron walked most of the morning, his pace quick and steady. Toward midday his steps slowed and lost most of their spring. Seeing a sheltered place under a tree, Aaron sat down in the grass by the side of the road to eat some of the food his sister had packed for him. Aaron swung his pack off and opened it. He pulled out a piece of linen and unrolled it to reveal a wedge of cheese, some bread, and several slices of dried meat. After eating some of the food, Aaron wrapped up the rest and licked his fingers clean. He drank from his water flask and then leaned back against the tree, looking up at the wide blue sky. Aaron pulled out his Bible and flipped through it, not really sure what to read. One of the pages caught his eye and he paused to read. It was the last few verses of the Gospel of Matthew.

‘And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”’

Aaron smiled, and his eyes drifted back to the last sentence. ‘“And behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”’ Aaron slowly closed the Bible and put it back in his haversack. He got to his feet and swung the leather pack onto his shoulders.

Toward evening, Aaron was extremely tired, and all he wanted to do was stop. He began counting his steps, telling himself to just do twenty more, and then twenty more again. He pushed his sweat-soaked hair from his eyes with the back of his hand, leaving a smear of road dust on his forehead. “God, I’ve been walking all day,” he said. “I’ll keep walking, and I won’t stop until I get to Ardenta, I have no notion of going back. But, I’m very tired. Please help me and give me the strength to keep going, and please provide a safe place for me to sleep.”

The words were barely out of his mouth when he heard a sound behind him. Turning, Aaron saw a wooden cart full of hay being driven by a man. It was coming out of the field by the roadside, and it soon caught up to him. “Ho there, where be you going young man?” asked stranger.

“Ardenta,” replied Aaron.

“That far? Where are you from?”

“Bentiea.”

“Have you been walking all that way?” asked the man.

“Aye sir,” answered Aaron.

“Climb aboard, I’m headed that direction myself and I’ll take you as far as my village.”

“Thank you sir,” said Aaron, grabbing the side and swinging aboard. “You are an answer to prayer.”

“Am I really?” asked the man. “And what prayer would that be?”

“That God would help me keep going as I was at the end of my strength,” replied Aaron.

“Well, I’m glad He sent me. My name is Irum,” he added.

“Aaron,” replied Aaron, shaking his hand.

Irum started up the horses and turned to Aaron. “So, what reason is taking you to Ardenta, if I may ask.”

“Well, I feel God is calling me to go and spread His Word among the people,” replied Aaron.

“Aye, some have attempted to before, but the people have no desire to hear. And right now the kingdom is torn apart by a war, do you really think it wise to go there?”

“Yes, I do,” replied Aaron. “I don’t know why, but I had a very strong urge to go now, as soon as possible.”

“Well, if you feel that’s what God is leading you to do, who am I to stand in the way? I say, do you have a place to stay tonight?”

“No sir,” replied Aaron.

“Than you shall stay with me, and tomorrow we will get an early start. You see, I’m bringing this hay to Derben, and I’ll take you that far.”

“Oh thank you,” exclaimed Aaron. “That is a double answer to prayer, and an unforeseen blessing.”

The next afternoon, Aaron bade Irum farewell in Derben, and then continued on his way. He walked for many hours, humming songs as he went or talking to his heavenly Father. In this way he passed the time, and the miles and hours slipped away together. That night, Aaron found a sheltered place near the road and decided to make camp. He had been given food from Irum, and he decide if he used it wisely he could probably get far without having to buy more.

Aaron slowly pulled off his boots and pealed away his stockings. He had a few blisters that were bleeding. Aaron walked barefoot to a small stream and stepped into the water. The cold stream soothed his feet. Aaron sucked in a breath at the sting of the water against the blisters. He sat down on a large rock and leant back on his arms. “Well, one thing’s for sure, I’ll get used to walking, and that may come in handy. One never knows.”

After a while, Aaron waded back on shore and built a small fire. He ate a light meal and then read his Bible by the light of the fire. After a time of careful study, Aaron banked the fire and secured the strap of his satchel. Then lay down with his arm flung over his eyes and slept.

Two long and weary days later, Aaron found himself in sight of the border. He could hardly believe he had done it, and he sprinted the last half mile to the boundary line. There he stopped and caught his breath after the run. Aaron paused, and then, just because he couldn’t help it, he turned over into a handstand with one hand in Vendailia and the other in Ardenta. He held the position for nearly five seconds before tumbling to the ground laughing. “I’ll have to tell Clorinda that I stood on my hands in two different county at once!”

Aaron jumped to his feet and looked up at the big wooden sign by the road that marked the place where Ardenta and Vendailia met. He stood and looked at the land of Ardenta, wondering what it would be like, and how hard it would be to show the truth to such a lost people. It doesn’t seem very much like a country at war, he thought. But, the empire is in the West, and I’m in the East. Most of the fighting is probably on the other side of the country. Aaron took a deep breath. “Well Father, here I go.”

He moved forward, firmly stepping into the soil of Ardenta. Aaron glanced back at his homeland, the country he had never before set foot outside of before. Then, he turned and continued on, walking with renewed vigor; eager to see what lay ahead.

It was dusk before Aaron came in view of a building. He was extremely weary, but at sight of a house he hurried on, anxious to come in contact with the Ardentans. He stepped off the road and walked quickly across the field toward the house. He was nearly there, when a voice stopped him. “That’s far enough.”

Aaron looked up and spotted a young man leaning against the fence that formed a coral at the side of a barn. His arms were crossed over his chest, and he was looking at Aaron with a calculated expression. He wore the same sort of apparel Aaron had obtained, but he wore no shirt under his vest. The setting sun reflected off the sweat that covered his face and muscular arms. His skin was tanned bronze, and his hair and eyes were dark. His facial features were angular and sharp, and he didn’t look exactly friendly. He seemed about two or three years older then Aaron.

Aaron stopped short. “Oh, hello.”

“What do you want stranger,” the Ardentan demanded in a clipped tone.

“I’m Aaron Dalvarian,” replied Aaron, offering his hand.

“I didn’t ask you what your name was, I asked what you wanted, and I’ll ask another question, what are you doing on my land?” replied the other, ignoring Aaron’s hand.

Aaron dropped his arm to his side. “I have been on the road many days, and I was seeking a place to stay for the night.”

“Where are you from?”

“Vendailia,” replied Aaron.

“Well that explains it. Vendailiains always talk too much and poke their noses in places where they aren’t wanted.”

“Oh,” replied Aaron. He thought a moment. “Yes, I supposed we often do,” he laughed.

The Ardentan didn’t even smile. “So, you want a place to stay?”

“Yes, that would be nice, if it’s convenient,” replied Aaron.

“It’s not,” the Ardentan said, bluntly. “In case you didn’t know, there’s a war. Housing strangers has never been convenient, but now it’s really not.”

“I can pay,” Aaron replied.

“With what?”

“Well, I have a little money, and I don’t mind work.”

“Come here,” commanded the Ardentan.

Aaron walked over and stood in front of him. The light of the setting sun had been blocked by the shadow of the barn, but now it shown full upon him. The Ardentan stiffened. He eyed Aaron up and down, taking in everything from his dirty boots to his blond hair. “Why do you dress like us?” he demanded.

“I thought it would be practical if I’m going to be living here for a while,” shrugged Aaron.

The boy’s eyebrows arched. “Living here?” he asked. He narrowed his eyes. “And why would you want to do that? Are you a spy for the empire?”

“What? No!” exclaimed Aaron.

“I’m not so sure,” snapped the other. He fingered the knife at his belt. “You look very much like one from the Empire.”

“I’m not Imperial, I’m Vendailian!” cried Aaron.

“Prove it.”

“What?”

“Prove that you aren’t an Imperial spy,” replied the Ardentan. His voice was dangerously low, and his hand had closed over his knife.

“What? I can’t! I don’t know how to prove it, but I’m not a spy!” exclaimed Aaron. He glanced over his shoulder toward the road, but he knew he couldn’t out run the young man. Aaron was exhausted, and the Ardentan’s legs were longer. Aaron looked back at his interrogator. This was not at all how he had envisioned this going. He took a deep breath and ran his hands over his face, suddenly feeling extremely tired. Father help me, I did not plan for it going like this. He looked up. “I came to help you.”

The Ardentan spat in the dirt.

“I’m not a spy.”

The Ardentan drew his knife and Aaron jerked back. The young man smirked and tossed the blade in the air, letting it spin before he caught it by the hilt. “You have yet to convince me.”

Aaron let out a breath of frustration.

“Better think quick, my patients is running out,” warned the Ardentan, still throwing and catching his knife.

Aaron thought through everything he knew about his country, everything in his pack, everything he knew about the Empire, but nothing seemed like it would help.

“Hurry up,” commanded the Ardentan.

“Be quiet and let me think,” retorted Aaron.

“Better hope you’re on good terms with your gods,” threatened the Ardentan.

“I don’t believe in gods,” replied Aaron, without thinking.

The Ardentan was about to toss his knife again but jerked his arm back when Aaron said that. “You what?”

“I said I don’t believe in gods,” replied Aaron.

The Ardentan crossed his arms and tilted his head to the side, looking at Aaron with interest. “No one from the Empire would ever dare to say that. Not even if he was a spy.”

“Well, I’m not from the Empire,” replied Aaron.

The Ardenta seemed to be thinking about that for a moment. Then, he gave a sharp nod. “So, if you aren’t a spy of the Empire, why are you here?”

“I came to help you,” replied Aaron, inwardly letting out a sigh of relief.

“Did you bring an army?”

“No,” replied Aaron slowly. He was still stunned by the speed with which the Ardentan had changed his mind about Aaron being a spy.

“A secret new weapon? An amazing battle strategy? Are you someone who could tell the emperor to leave us be?”

“No––”

“Well then I don’t see how much help you’ll be,” concluded the Ardentan.

“I came to live, work, and fight beside you, and I came to bring you the truth,” said Aaron. “A truth that will set you free!”

“Let’s see how well you work first, then maybe we can discuss this ‘truth’ that you believe.”

“Alright,” agreed Aaron.

“Come inside and eat, then you can sleep in the barn. We’ll be up bright and early tomorrow,” said the Ardentan.

“Thank you,” replied Aaron.

The Ardentan did not respond.

“What is your name?” asked Aaron.

“Turin Alvarson,” said the Ardentan. He straightened, and Aaron realized Turin was more than six inches taller then he was.

Turin turned and walked toward the house. Aaron stood a few seconds, and then followed him. They came to the door and Turin pushed it open. Inside, the light was dim, for the sun was rapidly descending. A girl was bending over a fireplace, and when she turned, her eyes immediately fell on Aaron. Her smile vanished and her eyes narrowed, she looked at Turin and, though neither said a word, Aaron was sure something had passed between them.

Turin walked over to a basin and filled it with water from a pitcher. He splashed his face, hands and arms, then he took the basin and flung the water into the grass outside. He handed the clay vessel to Aaron. Aaron washed up and then poured the water outside and set the basin on the shelf where Turin had taken it from. Turin was standing beside the table looking at the girl, who was facing the fire. “Sabina, the stranger will be eating with us,” Turin said in an even tone.

Sabina looked at Turin, and then glared at Aaron. She looked back at Turin, clearly unhappy about the arrangement, but he gave her a slight nod and she whirled back to the fire. Aaron stood and watched her. Her dark brown hair was pulled into one long braid down her back, her dress was a light, almost pink, brown, and when she glanced over at him, he saw her eyes were dark, like Turin’s.

Sabina carried the dishes to the table and Turin sat down. Aaron joined them, taking the seat across from Turin. Sabina took her place at Turin’s right, but refused to acknowledge Aaron.

Turin reached for one of the bowls on the table and tore a piece of bread off the loaf, he looked at Aaron, “Are you going to eat stranger?” he demanded.

Aaron had been staring at the table, deep in thought, but he looked up when Turin spoke. “My name is Aaron, and yes, I will eat. May I say a blessing for us first?”

“No,” replied Turin. “We have enough problems right now, we don’t need your strange religion to add to it.”

“It does not cause problems!” exclaimed Aaron. “And it is not a strange religion, it––”

Turin looked up sharply. “Hold you peace.”

Aaron shut his mouth, deciding not to push the matter that night. Maybe tomorrow, when they were more used to each other, he would try again. Tonight, he was tired and hungry, and he feared he might loose his temper if Turin disputed sharply. Instead, he bowed his head and closed his eyes. Father thank you for providing this meal. He prayed silently. When he looked up, he saw Turin was watching him, a strange look in his dark eyes.

When the meal was over, Sabina rose and began to clear the table. Turin turned to Aaron. “You may begin to earn your stay now, stranger.”

Aaron looked questioningly at him. Turin gestured to the table and then to the kitchen area. Aaron got to his feet and began to gather up the dishes. Turin watched him, half amused that he was doing ‘women’s work’ and half intrigued that he would do it without complaint.

Aaron carried the dishes to where Sabina was cleaning them. He put them in the wooden bucket of water and then stepped back, giving her a questioning look. Sabina got up from her knees by the bucket and walked to the other side of the room. Aaron crouched down and began scrubbing. As soon as the dishes were clean he looked about and, spotting like ones on a shelf, put them away.

Sabin handed him a broom and then set about scouring the large soup kettle with sand. Aaron swept up the floor and brushed all the dust outside. He came back to where Sabina was. Sabina looked at the floor and then picked up the kettle. She dumped the sand out of it onto the floor and then stood, daring Aaron with her eyes. Aaron was exasperated, but he bit his tongue and refrained from speaking his mind. Instead, he swept up the sand and then put the broom away. He spotted Sabina struggling to lift the huge iron kettle onto a shelf. Going to her side, Aaron took the kettle from her and lifted it up onto the shelf. Sabina turned her back on him and walked away.

Aaron turned to face Turin, who sat watching him, a puzzled expression on his face. Almost instantly, the expression vanished and he got to his feet. “This way, stranger.”

Aaron grabbed his pack from where he had left it by the door and followed. The two walked through the dark yard to the barn. Turin lit a lantern that hung on a hook in the doorway. He led the way to a ladder and gestured upward. Aaron began to climb, but Turin’s voice stopped him. “Stranger, if you dare to light a lantern in here you will pay dearly for it.” Aaron nodded, and Turin turned and walked out.

Aaron climbed to the top and slowly rose, feeling his way in the dark. His boots crackled on something and he bent to find course grass dried for feed. Aaron found a pile of it and sat down. He pulled off his boots and rolled out his shoulders, trying to relieve the soreness that ached in his whole body. He set down his pack and put his boots beside it. Then he prayed quietly in the dark. “Father, thank You for helping me on my journey and bringing me safely to Ardenta. Thank You for providing a place to sleep. Please help me to keep my temper. Replace my irritation with Your love. Please soften the hearts of Turin and Sabina, and help them to listen and come to know You. Give me strength for tomorrow. Please be with my father and Clorinda. Guide me in what I do and say tomorrow, and help me be patient.”

Aaron lay back in the hay and was soon fast asleep.

Aaron woke to Turin’s boot nudging him. “Up stranger, it’s morning.”

Aaron rubbed his eyes and sat up slowly. “You can call me Aaron.”

“I’ll call you what I like,” replied Turin. “Now get up.”

Aaron began pulling on his boots, and Turin watched him until he was satisfied Aaron was really getting up. Then, he turned and climbed down the ladder. Aaron got to his feet and dusted the hay out of his hair and off his clothes. Then, he scrambled down the ladder and stepped outside. The colors of sunrise were just beginning to touch the horizon and Aaron paused to look. “Thank You Father for this beautiful morning. Give me strength to face the day,”

Turin was already at the table, and Aaron joined him as Sabina laid out the breakfast. In the morning light, Aaron could see her better, and he realized she was no older then sixteen. She must be Turin’s sister. She had the same face shape, the same mouth and eyes, and the same frown as Turin. When Sabina sat down, Aaron spoke. “May I say a blessing?”

“No,” replied Turin, and his tone left no room for augment.

Aaron decided to push no further at the moment and he settled with a silent prayer of his own before eating. As soon as the meal was over, Turin rose and motioned for Aaron to follow him. The two walked outside and Turin spoke. “Today we work in the fields.” He eyed Aaron smugly. “You may like to dress like us, but lets see if you can work half as well.”

Aaron smiled. “I’m up to the challenge.”

Turin snorted. “Today we hoe and clear a field for planting,” he said abruptly. He grabbed a hoe from the barn and tossed it to Aaron, then he took one for himself and walked out to a field. “I cleared the large rocks, but all of the small rocks and stones need to come out, and the soil must be turned,” Turin said. He turned and got to work. Aaron came beside him and the two hoed in silence for about ten minutes. Aaron paused and looked up at the sunrise. He suddenly had an idea. “Turin, who made the sun?”

“What do I care,” replied Turin.

“Well, do you know?” persisted Aaron.

“I suppose you think you do,” growled Turin.

“It was God.”

“Uh-hu, every country thinks it was their gods who did everything. Well, we don’t have gods here, because gods aren’t real. So, which god do you think made the sun.”

“I don’t think, I know,” began Aaron, but he stopped short. “Wait, did you say gods aren’t real?”

“Yeah, does that offend you?” asked Turin, and his tone clearly said he didn’t care if it did.

“No, not at all,” replied Aaron. “Tell me, why aren’t gods real?”

“Every kingdom has their own that they all worship and expect to do things for them. I’m just a farmer, but I never saw stone, marble, or wood do anything miraculous for me, and it certainly doesn’t listen. Besides, how can something they made be the thing that made them and their world? If there were gods at all, it would be the craftsmen, not the things they make. And, there are too many of them. There are so many gods for each kingdom to keep track of, and no two kingdoms really serve the same ones. If the gods were real and were powerful, then I think they would fight with each other until one supreme god won and then he would be god of the whole world––” Turin broke off in irritation, realizing Aaron had gotten him to engage in conversation. “There are plenty of other reasons, but I don’t have to explain them to you.”

“I agree with you completely,” said Aaron. “But, you are wrong about one thing, there is a God. one God, and only one God.”

Turin paused a moment and looked at Aaron. “I’ve never heard that before.”

“In the beginning, there was absolutely nothing,” began Aaron. “But God was there, and He spoke the world into existence, He created the first man and woman, and He gave them a beautiful garden to live in. But, He told them never to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Now, God had many angles who worshiped and served Him, doing as He commanded. But one angle did not want to do this, he wanted to be God. He led away a third of the angles and they rebelled. God cast them out of heaven. Satan, wanting to do all to destroy what God had made, went to the woman and deceived her, telling her to eat of the tree. He told her that if she did, she would be like God. She believed him and ate the fruit, giving some also to her husband.

“Because of this sin, God cast them from the garden, forever apart from Him. They were separated from God, who, though He loved them deeply, could not be in the presence of sin. But, God promised to send a Savior to defeat Satan and all his demons and return us to the presence of God. Many years passed, and everyone was born in sin, and none lived a perfect life. No Savior came, and things got darker.

“Many, many years passed, and prophets who heeded God’s voice spoke of a promised child; a King to deliver them. The world turned further and further away from God, and began to worship things made with their hands, or the earth God had made. They sinned and ran from the One who created and loved them. Then, when things seemed darkest, God sent His only Son into the world, Jesus Christ. Jesus lived a perfect life, calling men to follow Him. He was God, yet He became man, suffering as we do, being tempted as we are, yet still He was God. Fully God, and fully man. I do not wholly understand the mystery of this, but I know it to be true. The religious leaders of that day hated Jesus, for He brought to light the falsehoods of their rituals and practices, and their sins. Jesus continued to teach, and He healed many and even brought the dead back to life. He never once sinned, in thought word or deed. He was perfect, blameless, and pure. Yet, He came to save us, and the only way to save us was through sacrifice. The religious leaders took him prisoner and handed him over to the Romans. They lied about Him, and the Romans killed Him.”

Turin stopped short and looked at Aaron, his hoe mid-strike. “What?”

“They killed Him,” repeated Aaron. “But, this was the reason He had come. He came to die for us. The only way we could come back to God was if an innocent person took our punishment and died in our stead. The punishment of sin, all sin, no matter how big or small, is death. Christ died for us, but He conquered the grave. Three days after His death, He rose and came back to life, appearing to many. Then, He returned to heaven, charging His followers to spread the truth everywhere, and promising them a helper. That helper is His Spirit, who dwells in all those who truly believe. If we confess to God that we are sinners, ask for His forgiveness, and accept Christ as our Savior and King, then we will be saved.

“I did this when I was about twelve years old. It took me a long time to let myself believe and trust, but when I did, my whole life changed. I am a new creation with Christ as the Lord of my life. He is with me always, protecting me and guiding me, giving me His strength to replace my weakness. ‘The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Savior.’ This means that even if I die here on earth, I will live forever with Christ in heaven in the place He has prepared for me.” Aaron paused and leaned on his hoe. “Last week I was living a normal life, studying for an honored position in the king’s court. But, God had something different planned for me. He called me to come here, to you and all the rest of the people of Ardenta, to bring you this truth and this hope. That is why I am here. It was for this reason that I left everything and came to you.”

Turin paused also. “Is your God the one who makes you act the strange way you do?”

“What do you mean by strange?” asked Aaron.

“Last night, when I told you to do women’s work, you were not angry, and you did not argue. And when my sister poured sand on the floor after you had swept it, you did not slap her–– which is what she deserved–– but instead, you quietly cleaned it up and then helped her with the kettle. Do you act this way because of your God?”

“Yes, it is because of God,” Aaron said.

“Does He make it so you do not care what people do?” asked Turin.

“Oh no,” replied Aaron. “Believe me, I did feel like getting angry at your sister, or at least saying something unkind to her. But, God wants us to bless those who curse us; pray for those who mistreat us, and to repay evil with good. So, I asked Him for patients and He gave it to me. He always helps those who call upon Him.”

Turin seemed lost in thought for a long moment, then he turned. “There is work to be done stranger,” he said, but there was no edge to his tone.

Aaron nodded and continued hoeing. God, please use what I have spoken to bring Turin to the truth.

Five long days passed. Aaron continued to work side by side with Turin, slowly but surly gaining the young man’s trust. Sabina seemed absolutely determined not to like him, but was warming up a little. He still refused to call Aaron by his name, but he refrained from insults and harassing. Sometimes, Turin would talk to Aaron about Ardenta, the farm, or the village near by, but then he would stop and act like Aaron had tricked him into talking. He would shut up for the rest of the day and refuse to say a word. Aaron heard nothing about the on-going war, and though he wondered very much about it, he was hesitant to approach the subject. Sometimes, Aaron wondered if it was the right thing to stay with Turin and his sister, or if he should move on. Something in him couldn’t just leave Turin and Sabina. Not yet. Constant in prayer, Aaron felt the urge to stay a little longer.

Then came the day when Turin went to the village. The three finished breakfast, and Aaron and Turin headed out to the barn as usual. Turn went over to one of the barrels and lifted the lid. He scooped out seeds into a satchel and handed it to Aaron. “Plant these, and don’t spill a single seed.”

Aaron nodded and slipped the strap over his head. He looked up and was barely in time to catch the hoe Turin tossed at him.

They stepped outside, and Turin walked to the house. Aaron waited for him, wondering what Turin was doing. When Turin came back, he had a pack on his back. He turned and started toward the road. “Turin, wait!” called Aaron.

Turin paused and Aaron caught up. “Where are you going?”

“To the village,” replied Turin.

“Let me come with you.”

“No.”

“Why?” demanded Aaron.

“Because I said so,” snapped back Turin.

Aaron leaned his hoe against the fence and began to pull off the seed bag.

Turin threw up his hands. “Well fine, do what you want, but don’t blame me when they kill you for a spy.”

“I’m not a spy,” retorted Aaron.

“Yeah, well tell that to them. Oh wait, you won’t be able to, because you’ll have an arrow in you the minute you come in sight of the village.”

Aaron hesitated. He desperately wanted to reach the rest of the Ardentans. And, truth be told, he was lonely. Turin and Sabina hardly spoke to him, and Aaron missed the friends he had left behind. He wanted to hang out with someone besides moody Turin for a change. Still, if the villagers were anything like Turin, he may not survive a meeting with them.

Turin picked up the hoe and pushed it at Aaron. “Take this and go plant. I’ll be back.”

Aaron took the hoe, and Turin turned and walked down the road. With a sigh, Aaron walked toward the field and the long day of work.

Turin did not return for many hours, but Aaron did not feel alone. In fact, he felt more comfort then when he was with Turin, for now he was alone with God. Aaron liked being alone, able to speak aloud freely to his Father in heaven. After the events of the passed few days, he felt a desperate need to clear his mind. “Father I don’t know what to do,” he began, letting the seeds fall from his hand into the soil, and pushing the dirt lightly over them with the toe of his boot. “I’ve worked alongside Turin for several days now, and I think I might have gained a faction of his trust. He seems intrigued by what I have to tell him, but that’s it. Nothing else has come of it. Honestly, I thought I was going to walk in here, speak to crowds in Your name and by Your power, and have hundreds believe. It was all supposed to be so different. Yet, here I am, after days here, and I’ve done nothing but farm work, with not a single person’s belief to reward my efforts. I… I’m starting to feel a little discouraged. Am I getting sidetracked trying to win Turin? Should I leave and move on?” Aaron shook his head, he wasn’t sure what to do, but leaving did not feel like the right option.

As Aaron covered another set of seeds he paused and looked at the ones that lay in his hand. A slow smile spread across his face. “I may sow the seeds, but You are the only One who can make them grow,” he said softly. “Oh Father help them grow, please help them grow! I want to see Turin come to You, I don’t want to leave with things like this.”

Aaron ran a hand over his forehead and wiped sweat from his eyes. Then he turned and continued on. “Show me what to do, where to go, and when.” Aaron continued work, walking up and down the rows, spreading and covering seeds. He did not finish until early evening. Aaron crouched by a stream and eagerly quenched his thirst. He stripped of his shirt and vest and waded into the waist deep water. He ducked under and came up, gasping from the shock of the cold. He washed the dirt and sweat from his face and hands and then splashed out and onto the grassy bank. He pulled on his vest without a shirt. His shirt he soaked in the water and then slung it over a branch to dry.

Aaron sat down under the shade of a tree and opened his pack, pulling out a piece of bread he had saved from lunch. He ate, looking out over the field he had planted. He felt satisfaction and expectation. He had done his part, but he was eager to see the fruit of his work. He smiled slightly; it was the same with Turin.

Aaron closed his eyes, letting the cooling breeze revive him. He wasn’t sure if he had fallen asleep or not, but the next thing he knew a voice was speaking. “Aaron, I need you’re help.”

Aaron opened his eyes and looked up into Turin’s dark ones. He was slightly pale, and a desperate look filled his eyes. Aaron started up, surprised and alarmed. “Turin, what is it?”

“I… I didn’t know where else to turn, I don’t know what to do,” said Turin. He turned away and covered his face with his hands, sinking down slowly to the ground.

Aaron crouched beside him. “What happened?”

“There was word in the village,” said Turin slowly. “The imperial army moved on one of our cities, the King lead a force out to meet them on the field to keep them away from the women and children. The enemy was too strong. Our forces were routed, our king… our king fell, and his son, the only heir, is on the run with a small band of men. The city was taken, and anyone who resisted was killed. The imperial army is building in number, and they plan to attack the capital soon…” Turin’s voice trailed off. Neither spoke for a long moment. At last, Turin looked up. “The empire is too strong, we are going to loose our country.”

“Your sister, and the other women and children of the village must get out,” said Aaron. “We need to get them out of the country to safety.”

“No,” said Turin in quiet despair. “We can’t. The imperial army did not attack like this before because they were not ready. They are now. They have armies positioned along the entire border and no one gets in or out. We are trapped here. There is no leaving, there is no coming, there is no escape and no rescue.”

Aaron sat back hard. “Blocked! Completely?”

“Yes, there is no way through,” said Turin.

Aaron stared at him, hardly able to breath. “Oh Lord,” he gasped. “You knew! This is why!”

“What are you talking about?” demanded Turin.

“God told me to come now because He knew I wouldn’t be able to come at all if I delayed!” exclaimed Aaron.

“Well, now you’re trapped,” said Turin, darkly.

Aaron hadn’t thought of that, and a chill raced through him.

“I don’t even know why you came,” laughed Turin, harshly. “You left your perfect, free, peaceful country and came here. We are going to fall, and when we do, we will belong to the Empire. The Empire Aaron.”

“I know,” replied Aaron, his voice slightly unsteady.

Turin shook his head. “Welcome to the place you’ll die. You aren’t getting out of here, and whatever’s left of your life will be violent and short. I’ve never seen anyone do something so pointless.”

Aaron was afraid, more afraid then he was letting on, but he also knew that this was a chance to live what he told Turin he believed. He took a deep breath. “I’m frightened Turin, but God brought me here for a reason. He will protect me.”

“I wish I had that kind of assurity,” muttered Turin.

“What?” asked Aaron, trying to hide his eagerness.

Turin began pulling up the grass beside him, refusing to look at Aaron. “I said, I wish I had that assurity.”

“Are you afraid?” asked Aaron.

Turin began pulling up the grass in fistfuls.

“You don’t have to be.”

Turin paused, his fingers intwined in the blades of grass he was about to rip up.

“If you accept Christ and give your life to Him, then you will have nothing to fear. He, the Maker, Creator, and God of everything, will never leave you or forsake you. He will be with you always, no matter what you go through, or what happens in this world. He will hold you close, and He will bring you through the shadow of death and into eternal life. He is calling you, Turin. Humble yourself, lift your eyes from this world and look to Him. He will save you.”

Turin’s hand had loosened around the grass, and his chin rested on his knees. As Aaron watched, a single tear cut a path through the dirt and sweat on his face. “How,” he whispered.

Aaron could hardly contain his excitement, he could hardly believe that this was really happening. He forced his voice to stay calm. “Do you believe you were created by God and live in a world He made?” asked Aaron.

Turin hesitated a moment, and then spoke. “I still do not understand how, but yes, I believe He did create me and this world. I don’t know why I should believe this over any other account I have heard, but something tells me its true.”

“Do you believe you are a sinner, deserving of death and unfit to be in the presence of God?” asked Aaron.

“Yes, yes I do,” replied Turin. “I have felt the guilt of my sin, especially since you came.”

“Do you believe that God loved us so much that He sent His only Son to die and take our place and our sin so that we might live and be free?”

“Yes,” replied Turin.

“Are you willing to give your life to God and live as He teaches and do what He commands?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Then, speak to God as if you were talking to your father, tell Him these things and ask Him to come and be Lord of your life,” Aaron told him.

“I… I am afraid,” said Turin quietly. “I cannot speak to God, I… I just can’t!”

“But Turin, He wants nothing more then for you to speak directly to Him, confessing your sins and asking Him to be your King and Savior. He loves you Turin. He loves to listen to us, I talk to Him often; sometimes silently, sometimes out loud. He is here with us, and He is ready and waiting. Waiting for you. Speak to Him, and call Him what he is, your Father.”

Turin hid his face in his hands. At last he spoke, his voice choked with emotion and muffled by his hands. “Father I… I don’t know what to do. My kingdom is falling into the hands of evil men, I am trapped here and I have no one but my little sister. I am alone, I need help. I believe You are the only God, and I know I have sinned before You. I believe You sent Your Son to die for me. Please, please save me. Save me from this terror! Oh Father help me, please help me. Forgive me.”

Aaron gripped Turin’s shoulder firmly, a broad smile crossing his face as unspeakable joy flooded through him. If I die and never speak to another of the Ardentans, I would still say it was worth it.

It was as if a great weight had been lifted off Turin. The wall he had built around himself as protection against the world shattered, and Turin wept.

It was nearly dark when the two rose to head back to the house. Turin laid a hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “Aaron, I am sorry,” he said.

“What for?” asked Aaron.

“For the way I have treated you and encouraged Sabina to treat you. We were both wrong, and I am most to blame,” said Turin.

“I forgive you,” said Aaron. He smiled. “It is good to hear my name spoken after so long,” he added.

Turin grinned. “Lets go get something to eat… stranger.”

Aaron shoved him and the two hurried across the fields.

“I can’t believe it!” cried Turin. “I feel so… so free!”

“I have prayed so long for this,” said Aaron. He slapped Turin on the back. “Now we are both children of God, which makes you my brother.”

The two hurried into the house and washed up. Sabina watched them from the corner of the room, her eyes narrowed. When Turin turned toward her she put her hands on her hips and gave him a raised eyebrow look. Turin was filled with a wild newfound joy and freedom. Unable to resist, he crossed swiftly to Sabina’s side, lifted her off her feet and kissed her cheek.

Sabina gasped and pushed him away, staring at him as if he was crazy.

“That smells wonderful Sabina!” exclaimed Turin. “Doesn’t it Aaron! Is there anything we can do to help?” he asked his sister, who was gaping at him open mouthed.

“N-no,” she stammered.

“Are you sure?” asked Turin.

“Yes, and keep your dirty hands off me,” Sabina snapped. She spun on her heal and retreated with dignity and speed to the kitchen.

Turin turned to Aaron, who was grinning broadly. “Well, that wasn’t exactly the reaction I had expected,” said Turin slowly.

“Oh, it fits,” replied Aaron, glancing over to where Sabina worked. “You normally walk in with out a word or glance, and then suddenly you come in laughing, calling me by name, and hugging your sister and asking if she wants help. She probably thinks you’ve gone mad.”

Turin smiled slowly. “Yes, I suppose she does,” he said. “I wish it wasn’t so shocking, I wish I had been kinder to her before,” he added regretfully.

“Now is your chance to start again,” said Aaron.

That night, as they sat around the table, Aaron looked over at Turin. “May I ask a blessing?”

Turin nodded.

Aaron smiled and bowed his head. “Father, thank You for providing this meal, bless Sabina for preparing it for us, and thank You for Turin’s decision today. Amen.”

Sabina stared from Aaron to Turin and back again, her eyes full of confusion and suspicion. Turin looked up at Aaron. “You may sleep in my room tonight,” he said. “I should have offered it sooner.”

“Oh no, the barn in fine for me,” said Aaron. “But thank you Turin.”

After the meal, the boys cleared the dishes and helped Sabina put things away. The whole time Sabina stayed well out of reach of her brother, watching him with anxiety.

Turin walked with Aaron out to the barn and handed him a lantern. “Just keep it out of the hey.”

Aaron took it. “Thank you.”

“Well, I guess I’ll go back to the house and try to talk with Sabina. I can’t see it going ver well,” sighed Turin.

“Any time you want to talk come find me,” said Aaron.

“Thank you,” replied Turin.

The next day passed with work in the fields. Aaron told Turin many Bible stories, explained things he did not understand, and encouraged him with verse from the Bible. He told Turin about himself and his home. Aaron did most of the talking, but Turin encouraged it, preferring to listen rather then talk. When they stopped to eat lunch, Aaron decided to ask Turin a question. “Turin, what makes your people so dislike strangers? Why are they so…” he trailed off, searching for the right word.

“Unfriendly,” finished Turin.

Aaron nodded.

“We are a very small country but we have made it a beautiful one. We are a quiet people and do not easily make friends. The more people who try to take us over the less we like strangers. Now that the empire is attacking us we are even less likely to accept newcomers,” replied Turin. “We wish to live alone, and leave the rest of the world to itself. Let them fight, plan discover, reform, build and tare down, rise and fall. All we wish for is good land to farm, safety to raise our families, fair rulership, and peace.”

Aaron nodded slowly. They continued working for a time. At last, Aaron brought himself to ask another question. “Turin, what happened to your parents?”

Turin winced, and Aaron immediately regretted the question. “You don’t have to tell me.”

“No, it’s alright” replied Turin. “They died from a sickness that swept through our village. I was sixteen at the time. One disadvantage to shutting ourselves out of the rest of the world is that we must discover for ourselves things many others have already learned. At the time, medicines had been found to fight such a fever in many countries. But, we had no knowledge of this. What was a small matter in places like your country became a plague that wiped out almost a third of our country, including my parents. Sabina and I stayed here and continued to live off the land. What else could we do? This farm has passed from father to son for longer then can be remembered. That is the way of our people. To leave the land of my fathers would be unthinkable.”

“I’m so sorry,” said Aaron. “I understand what it’s like to loose your parents, but at least I was adopted by a good man, whereas you had to fend for yourselves. I can’t image that”

Turin looked up. “Not anymore. God is my Father now.”

Aaron nodded. “Yes He is.”

They worked in silence. Finally, Aaron looked up. “So, what did Sabina say when you talked to her last night?”

“She was confused and shocked,” replied Turin. “I don’t think she was angry, but she still doesn’t really like you, and she doesn’t understand why I suddenly do. She listened quietly when I told her about God, but she is not ready to accept Him.”

Aaron nodded. After a few moments, he spoke again. “Turin, I want to go to your village and speak to the people. Will you take me?”

Turin did not reply for a long moment. “They probably wont listen. You will look too strange and would stand out too much.”

Aaron glanced down at his clothes. “Isn’t this what you wear?”

“It isn’t the clothes, it’s you,” replied Turin.

“What do you mean?” asked Aaron.

“No one in Ardenta has blue eyes, and no one has fair hair. You have both, they will definitely notice. Also, you are not built like us, you are not as tall as we are, nor as broad-shouldered. You look very different,” said Turin. “In fact, you look a lot like the men of the Empire.”

“Oh,” replied Aaron slowly. “Well, I don’t think I can change that. Will no one listen?”

“They may,” replied Turin slowly. “I will try to help you. But they will think you are a spy, and it will be dangerous. I might not be able to protect you.”

“Then you’ll take me?” asked Aaron.

Turin sighed. “I would rather not, Aaron. I’m young and my voice does not have much standing in the village yet. Bide here a while longer. Perhaps… perhaps I could try to get some of the men on my side.”

“How long would that take?” demanded Aaron.

“I don’t know. Several months. A year maybe. I would have to move with caution.”

“Turin, with the war progressing as it is I don’t think I have that time. I have to move now,” replied Aaron.

Turin shook his head. “Alright Aaron. Have it your way. But remember, there is only so much I can do.”

“You’re right, but there is no limit to what God can do,” replied Aaron.

The next morning, Aaron and Turin got up early. After breakfast began their walk to the village. Turin told Sabina to come with them, saying it was to keep her safe. Secretly he hoped she would believe when she heard Aaron speak.

When the three arrived, Aaron found many stares directed his way and heard whispers behind his back. As Turin had said, all the men and boys who had reached their full hight were at least three inches taller then him, and some of the women and girls beat him by an inch or two. And, most striking of all, there was not a single blonde or blue eyed person––– man, women, or child–– among them. Aaron tried not to pay attention to the looks directed his way, but he could not help quickly categorizing them into three groups; fear, curiosity, and hostility.

Turin stopped in the village square and jumped up on the wide edge of the fountain that graced it’s center. Aaron couldn’t help noticing that even though they were in a small village, the houses and buildings were built with skill and beauty. Turin cupped his hands around his mouth. “People of Ardenta!” he called. “This stranger, Aaron Dalvarian, as traveled all the way from Vendailia to bring us a message; a message of hope and salvation.” Turin held out a hand toward Aaron.

The crowd had moved back, leaving a wide half circle around the fountain. Aaron stepped into it, forcing himself to stay calm. As he turned his back on the crowd, something whistled passed his head and struck against the fountain. Aaron whirled about in time to see a young man standing on a roof, a bow in his hand. “Stay where you are!” he yelled down at Aaron.

“No, leave him be!” called back Turin. “He is not of the Empire, he’s Vendailian.”

Several men had stepped free of the crowd and were moving toward Aaron. Aaron took two steps back, coming up against the fountain. Oh Lord help me!

One of the young men lunged and grabbed Aaron’s arm. The next moment Turin had leapt down and delivered such a strong punch that the Ardentan let go and reeled back with a cry, falling into one of his companions.

“If you want him, come and get him!” yelled Turin. He drew his knife and stood poised to defend Aaron.

“No Turin, don’t!” yelled Aaron. “These are your people! Don’t hurt them!”

One of the men ran at Turin. Turin grabbed him and spun, yanking back his arm to stab. Aaron grabbed his friend’s wrist, wrenching it sideways. “Turin stop!”

Turin shoved Aaron off and spun, his knife flashing. He grabbed his attacker and slammed him down onto his back.

“Turin don’t do it!” shouted Aaron. “They are not the enemy, they are your people!”

Turin stopped short, his knife poised. Slowly he released his attacker, who scrambled up and backed off.

“Turin, drop the knife,” comanded Aaron, forcing his voice to stay level.

Turin turned and looked at Aaron. Strands of sweat soaked hair had slipped over his forehead and his vest had been yanked askew in the tussle.

“Turin, put down the knife. There will be no fighting,” said Aaron.

Turin looked about him, and it seemed that for the first time he realized where he was. He dropped the blade and stepped back, a look of horror crossing his face.

Aaron let out a breath of relief.

The next moment, several men had rushed on Aaron. They grabbed him and thrust him back so that he was bent over the fountain. For a moment Aaron struggled to get free, but he knew it was pointless. He heard the sound of a blade being drawn, and the next moment one of the men had pushed his head back over the fountain’s rim. “Now, spy, you die,” he spat.

Aaron couldn’t breathe. He braced himself, knowing full well that there was nothing he could do. Is this really how it ends? He wondered.

“Wait! He’s not a spy!” yelled Turin. “I swear it by the standing stone!”

Everyone froze, and in the silence that followed the sound of the trickling fountain was deafening.

At last, a voice spoke. “What did you just say?”

“You heard me,” retorted Turin, but Aaron could hear the slight tremor in his voice.

The men pulled Aaron up but two held him fast. Aaron sucked in a breath of relief, silently thanking God that he was still alive. Then he looked at Turin. The young Ardentan stood alone by the fountain, for the villagers had backed away from him. One man, who seemed to be the leader, stepped forward. “Turin Alvarson, do you understand the weight of your words?”

“I do,” replied Turin, steadily.

“It has been nigh over thirty years since someone dared to swear by the standing stone.”

“I am aware,” Turin returned.

Whispers ran through the crowd and several children began asking their parents what was going on. Aaron watched Turin uneasily. He knew how rash the young man was, and now he feared that he had gotten himself in terrible trouble. Oh Lord help us, please reach these people, and don’t let Turin do anything else rash!

“Turin, son of Alvar, you have before you the chance to take back your words spoken in haste,” said the Village Headman.

Turin faced him squarely. “I meant what I said.”

From the crowd a girl whimpered, and Aaron darted a glance toward the sound. Sabina was watching, her face pale as death.

Turin turned and strode across the square. The people followed, the two men still keeping a tight hold on Aaron. They left the village and there found a large, smooth stone driven into the ground. Aaron guessed it to be some sort of boundary marker.

Turin stepped forward, but the Village Headman grabbed his arm. “Don’t do this,” he said in a low voice. “You know they will require of you your life.”

“I am not wrong,” replied Turin. “I have no fear of them.” He pulled away and stepped forward. Raising his right hand high, he spoke. “Aaron Dalvarian is no Imperial Spy. He is a messenger of hope come to us in our time of greatest need. He has come to bring us the truth. A truth that brings the dead to life and sets the captives free.”

The people murmured, but their tone was wary and some shook their heads.

Turin waited a moment, his hand still in the air. Then, he turned and brought his open palm down on the stone. Several people gasped and everything went still.

In the silence, Turin spoke. “I swear by the standing stone, the first mark of this village, that Aaron is not an Imperial Spy. I vouch for him and invoke protector’s rights. If I speak truth, then he and I shall live. If I have been false, he shall die. And I will pay for my treachery with my life. My blood shall be on my own hands, and the men of this village shall be guiltless of it.”

The Village Headman stepped forward and took Turin’s wrist, raising his right hand for the people to see. “Before these witnesses, Turin son of Alvar has invoked protector’s rights on the standing stone. You have all seen it, it is your duty to hold him to his oath, and spill his blood if he has spoken false.”

“It is our duty and we will bare it,” the people replied.

The Village Headman turned to the men holding Aaron. “Release him.”

The men let Aaron go and he stepped away from them. Aaron came to Turin’s side, and the young man laid his right hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “You are under my protection, and whoever harms you forfeits his life unless I am proven wrong.”

“Let it be so,” the people replied.

Turin gripped Aaron’s shoulder and gave him a nod. Then, he let go and turned to face to crowd. “Come, let us go back to the village and hear the message of truth Aaron has risked so much to bring to us.”

They returned to the village, the people whispering and speaking in low voices as they went. Aaron looked up at his friend. “Turin, you shouldn’t have done that!” he whispered.

“Is this when you tell me you actually are a spy?” chuckled Turin.

“No! But Turin, the people may not believe me. If they don’t, they’ll kill you!”

Turin shrugged. “Then my blood is on their hands, for I have spoken the truth.”

“It’s doesn’t matter who’s blood is on who’s hands!” whispered Aaron, hotly. “What matters is that you’ll be dead!”

“Then I’ll get to meet my Savior face to face,” replied Turin, calmly. “I’m not afraid anymore, Aaron. I’m ready to face whatever comes.”

Aaron let out a long breath. “I just wish there had been another way.”

“They would have killed you if I hadn’t said that,” replied Turin. “It’s a very old custom, but my people do not easily forget. There is no stronger oath then that of the standing stone, for it marks the dawn of our settlement. And, as I’m sure you have noticed, our land is very important to us.”

Aaron shook his head. “What if they won’t listen to me?”

Turn looked squarely at Aaron. “You came to my village with no thought for yourself. You were ready to face anything, even after I warned you several times. You have done all of this for the sake of our Lord. I am ready to do the same. My people need to hear the truth, and if I must die for it, then so be it.”

They had arrived in the village square again and the two came to a stop beside the fountain. Turin placed a hand on Aaron’s shoulder. “Oh God be with us,” murmured Aaron. “Soften the hearts of the people, speak through me, and please keep Turin safe.”

Turin slapped his back. “Go ahead Aaron, I’ll try to help down below.”

Aaron looked Turin in the eye. “Thank you.”

Turin nodded and Aaron turned. Stepping up onto the wide ledge of the fountain Aaron faced the people. They stared back at him with distrust and suspicion. And Aaron saw several men had formed a perimeter around the square. There would be no escape for him and Turin should things go wrong. Aaron took a deep breath.“People of Ardenta, my name is Aaron Dalvarian. I have traveled from Vendailia to bring you a message of hope and life.”

Aaron related the tale of the creation of the world, the beginning of sin and the promise of a Savior.

The people listened in spellbound silence. As Aaron continued, he became more relaxed. He forgot about the threat that hung over Turin and himself. He spoke the words given to him with strength and boldness. When he finished, the place became a noise of questions, comments, and exclamations.

Aaron glanced at Turin, who was nodding and smiling. He spotted Sabina standing in the background, a scowl on her face. Soon the crowd began shouting questions at Aaron.

“How do you know this is true?”

“Why would your God be a God for us too? Isn’t He just the God of the Vendailiains?”

“Are you sure He died for everyone and not just those of the past?”

“Can he save us from the Empire?”

“What would one have to do to earn this salvation?”

Every time Aaron began to answer one question, three more would be shouted at him. Turin leapt up beside him. “Quiet!” he shouted and the noise died away. “One at a time,” commanded Turin, as if he was a father reprimanding insistent toddlers.

So, one by one, the people asked their questions, and one at a time Aaron answered them. This lasted all morning, well past lunch, and into the late afternoon. Turin walked among the crowd, answering what questions he could, and giving his personal testimony; telling what Christ had done for him and the freedom he had found.

At last, toward supper time, Turin came to Aaron’s side. Aaron was slightly pale and looked exhausted, but he was still standing and speaking to the crowd. “Aaron, come here,” Turin said. As always, his tone offered no room for argument. Aaron stepped down and stood in front of him. “Aaron, you are coming to the tavern right this minute and getting something to eat. Don’t argue with me. You’ll do us no good if you drop.”

Aaron nodded wearily, and Turin turned to the crowd. “Listen everyone! Aaron is going to get something to eat, and you are going to leave him alone while he does. Then, when he is done, he might talk with you again, but he needs a rest. Think about what he has told you, talk about it among yourselves, but leave Aaron alone.”

With that, he grabbed Aaron’s arm firmly and led him through the crowd. The people parted like waves around a rock when they saw Turin’s stern expression.

Aaron suddenly realized how exhausted he was. It seemed all the weight, fatigue, and hunger from the day crashed down on him, and he stumbled under it’s blow. As Aaron tripped and staggered to regain his balance, the people around suddenly seemed to realize that he was someone like them, and they saw how tired he was. Several of the young men hurried forward to help him up while others cleared a path, and the tavern-keeper, his wife, and several other women all ran ahead to the tavern to prepare him a meal.

When Aaron and his escort arrived, the smell of food was already filling the room. Turin and another young man helped him to a chair, and Aaron collapsed wearily into it. Turin turned and nodded to the young men before backing them out of the room. He closed the door firmly and leaned against it, letting out a deep breath. He looked over at Aaron. “You’ve got remarkable strength to keep it up that long.”

“What do you mean?” asked Aaron.

“We got here just after five in the morning. You have been up there speaking, answering questions, and helping the people for fourteen hours straight without a single brake. I’m shocked that you didn’t collapse sooner.”

Aaron smiled wearily. “God gave me the strength I needed while I needed it.”

Turin crossed to the window and looked out. “There are armed men standing in the street outside. I don’t think they trust us fully.”

Aaron sat up straight, a worried expression on his face. “I should go back out there.”

“Oh no you don’t,” retorted Turin. “You stay put.”

Aaron looked about uneasily. “Turin, do you think they believed what I told them?”

“Several were mots certainly touched by your words,” replied Turin, coming and sitting down at the table. “They are suspicious, but I don’t think they’ll do anything tonight.”

The tavern-keeper’s wife came in at that moment with a basin of water and a cloth. Aaron thanked her and gratefully washed the sweat and dust from his face, arms and hands. Three village women soon brought two large bowls of soup, a loaf of fresh bread and a plate of cold meat for Aaron and Turin. Then the tavern keeper brought a huge pitcher of cold cider and two tankards. They all nodded to Turin and thanked for coming Aaron before leaving the room.

Turin raised an eyebrow. “They certain appreciate what you’ve done.”

The two prayed over the meal and were about to begin when Turin suddenly jumped up. “Sabina! I forgot she’s still out there! Don’t wait!” he called over his shoulder as he bolted for the door.

Aaron had no intention of eating without his friend, so he waited.

It was about twenty minutes later when Turin came back. He sat down beside Aaron and let out a sigh.

“What’s wrong?” asked Aaron.

“Sabina,” replied Turin. “She’s angry with me. She won’t come and says she’s staying with a friend and to leave her alone. She called me a fool for invoking protector’s rights.”

Aaron placed a hand on Turin’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’s upset about what happened. She loves you, Turin. To lose you for the sake of a stranger would be terrible for her. All we can do is pray for her.”

Turin nodded and the two bowed their heads. “Father, please bring Sabina to You, soften her heart and lead her to the truth,” said Aaron.

“Father please bring my little sister to You. Show me what to do!” pleaded Turin. “I don’t know how to reach her, God. She’s the dearest thing to me in all the world. Please help me!”

When they finished praying, they began to eat.

“I told you not to wait,” scolded Turin.

Aaron grinned.

When they had eaten and rested a few minutes. “So, how long have we got to wait until we know what will happen?” asked Aaron.

Turin thought for a moment. “I would say all night. They’ll be thinking, discussing what you told them, and the men will be in councel.”

“And in the morning?”

“In the morning they will either let us go, or we will die in the village square,” replied Turin.

Aaron got up.

“Where are you going?” asked Turin.

“Back out there,” said Aaron. “The people need to know the truth, and if one person is willing to listen then I will not rest until he or she hears what they need to hear.”

Aaron was out the door before Turin could stop him. Turin scrambled up and ran after him. He found Aaron standing on the step, the people already pelting him with questions. Turin came and shouted close to Aaron’s ear to be heard above the noise. “Aaron this is madness, make them wait until morning! You’ll be out here all night!”

Aaron looked at him soberly. “When tomorrow comes I may not have the chance. If I am going to die tomorrow, then I will reach every person I can before that time.”

They made there way to the village square and several men and boys turned a cart upside down for Aaron to stand on. Torches and lanterns where lit, and the people gathered around to listen and ask questions. Aaron smiled down at them, his heart going out to each one. He bowed his head, and the crowd grew quiet. “Father, give me strength and help my voice to last through the night. Touch the hearts of the people and speak through me.” He raised his head and looked out across the crowd.

The questions began, and Aaron set to work.

The sun was rising early the next morning, warming the earth and casting light over the scene in the square. Turin was sitting on the ground asleep, his head leaning against the overturned wagon. Others were asleep in the square, but many more where still awake, listening to, and asking questions, of Aaron. All night he had stayed outside, speaking and answering the questions of the villagers. Now as the sun rose, those who had fallen asleep began to wake. Turin looked about groggily in the sunlight and then started to his feet. “Aaron!” he exclaimed. “Have you been out here all night?”

Aaron nodded and held out a hand for quiet while he finished talking with a young man. “So, Aaron, is there something that Christians do as… as a sign to the world of their belief” the villager was asking.

“Yes,” Aaron replied. “The way you live will show the world who you belong to. They will know you by your deeds. But, there is baptism. Baptism is a symbol of your choice; a public confession to the world. Romans 6:3-5 explains it this way ‘Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were buried therefore with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with Him in a death like His, we shall certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His.’ Ephesians 4:4-7 says ‘There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.” You see, baptism is a sign; a symbol. It represents that you have died to the world and are alive in Christ, and symbolizes that you have all been baptized into one faith, one union, and one family.”

“How could someone become baptized? What is it, what does one do?” asked Turin.

“Baptism means to wash, to be immersed, to be sanctified. A new convert is taken to a place where there is water and there they are baptized,” explained Aaron. “Baptism will not give you special powers, it is only a sign and it only matters if those who are baptized have given themselves to Christ. He alone can give strength for whatever you will face.”

“I believe Aaron,” said Turin. “I wish to show that to the whole world, I wish to make a public confession of my faith.” He turned to face his people. “Today I want to publicly confess Christ as my Lord!” he called out. “I am His, no matter what danger comes of it.”

Aaron felt overwhelmed with joy seeing such faith in his friend. Turin turned to him. “Come to the river, Aaron.”

Together Aaron and Turin walked through the village and the people followed, calling through windows or waking those who slept, telling them to come and see what was to occur.

They came outside of the village and walked to the banks of a wide river that sparkled in the sunlight. Aaron kicked his boots off and waded out into the water. Turin pulled off his own boots and followed.

The cool water flowed gently around them and the soft sand at the bottom of the river was soothing to Aaron’s sore feet. He paused when the water was up to his waist and turned to face his friend. “Turin, are you willing to make a confession of faith before your village to serve and follow Christ, following Him be Lord of your life and confessing Him as the one and only God?”

“I am,” replied Turin, eagerly.

“Will you serve Him and no other, staying true to Him until death?” asked Aaron.

“Yes,” replied Turin. “I will never serve another.”

Aaron put one hand on Turin’s back and the other against his chest. Turin laid his right hand over Aaron’s and covered his nose and mouth with the other. bringing it to his chest. “Are you ready?” asked Aaron.

Turin nodded, his eyes shining.

Aaron spoke in a loud voice so all could hear. “Turin, as a sign of your confession and covenant, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” Turin closed his eyes as Aaron lowered him under the water. He pulled him back up and Turin sucked in a deep breath, laughing with excitement and joy. Aaron embraced his friend, laughing with him. He stepped back and placed his hands on Turin’s shoulders. “You have died to sin and are a new creation in Christ, go now and live for Him.”

The two of them splashed ashore and stood barefoot on the bank, laughing together as they rang the water from their clothing.

The people of the village stood a ways back, watching with a mix of suspicion and curiosity. They whispered amongst themselves and gestured to the two young men.

Turin looked up and froze. Aaron followed his line of sight and saw the Village Headman and several armed men making their way down the sloping grass to the sandy bank of the river. “Oh Lord,” breathed Aaron.

The smile had left Turin’s face and he watched the approaching men in silence, a flicker of fear in his eyes.

There was a scuffling sound from the crowd and Aaron looked in the direction of the sound. Sabina broke lose and came flying toward her brother, her hair falling lose about her shoulders. She threw herself against Turin and held him tightly, hiding her face against his shoulder. Turin put an arm about Sabina and pulled her close. He and Aaron watched as the men came to a stop.

The Village Headman raised a hand and the crowd fell instantly silent. “Turin, son of Alvar, and Aaron of Vendailia, the counsel has come to a decision.”

Aaron felt his mouth go dry and he glanced at Turin. Sabina was clinging to her brother, her fingers white as they clutched his shirt.

“After many hours of listening to your words, observing your actions, and speaking together, the counsel has come to a conclusion,” continued the Headman. “Aaron Dalvarian is indeed Vandalian.”

Aaron let out a breath of relief and Turin relaxed. Laughing shakily he hugged his sister tightly.

The Village Headman raised his hand. “Aaron, you will be welcomed here as a guest, which is a rare honor among our people.”

Aaron nodded, a laugh slipping from him.

“Turin, you and your sister can also stay in the inn free of charge as long as Aaron remains here with us.”

“Thank you sir,” replied Turin.

“And Aaron,” added the Headman. “We would like you to continue to tell us about your God.”

Aaron nodded. “I will sir. Gladly.”

The man turned and walked back up the bank.

Turin laughed in relief. He cupped his sister’s face in his hands and looked down at her. “Sabina, do you see now the power of God? Look how he protected us!”

Sabina pulled free and shoved him away. Now that her fear had dissipated, her anger returned two-fold. “You are all wet, and now you have soaked my dress!” she cried angrily. “Turin, I don’t know what has gotten into you, but you need to stop!”

Turin, though surprised, spoke gently. “Sabina––”

“Don’t Sabina me!” she shot back. “You have been acting like a fool, Turin! What in the world has come over you? How could you invoke protector’s rights for him?” she asked, pointing angrily at Aaron.

“Sabina, Aaron and I are friends, and what’s more, we are brothers,” explained Turin.

Sabina’s lip began to tremble. “I am your sister by blood! How could you chose him over me?”

“I didn’t chose him over you,” replied Turin. “He needed my help. I would have done the same for you.”

Tears filled Sabina’s eyes. “You would have given your life for him and left me alone.”

“Sabina, I love you dearly,” said Turin. “That is why I long for you to find the Savior who brought me from death into life! He saved me, Sabina. He died for me. And he did the same for you.”

Two tears spilled down Sabina’s cheeks.

Turin reached out to wipe them away, but Sabina slapped his hand. “Don’t touch me!” she said through her teeth. Spinning, she glared at Aaron. “You’ve gotten far more then you deserve, stranger,” she spat. “Turin’s life is far more valuable then yours. Don’t abuse his gift.” With that, she gathered up her skirts and ran up the hill back toward the village.

As Aaron stood and spoke to the people, he knew this time something was different. He could feel the Lord working among them, and he could see in their expressions that their eyes were being opened.

By noon, several villagers had come to faith, and once it started, it didn’t seem like it was going to stop. Aaron returned to the river, and there he baptized the new believers, rejoicing at the work the Lord was doing. To the surprise of all present, and to Aaron’s great joy, the village headman and his family came to faith that day and were baptized.

It was early evening before the last believer had been baptized. Aaron was amazed to find almost the entire village had believed. What a drastic change had taken place over the last few days. They had gone from wanting to kill him, to suspicious curiosity, and now faith in Christ.

Aaron staggered slowly from the water and leaned on the arm Turin offered. “I can’t believe it,” exclaimed Turin. “Look at my village!”

“God be praised,” agreed Aaron. “I wish my father and sister could see this. Look at the wonders God has done!”

Turin slapped him lightly on the back. “Now it is time for you to rest,” he said. “You have only had one meal and no sleep since early yesterday morning.”

Aaron nodded slowly. “But look what God has done! I could want nothing more then to be used by Him to accomplish such wonderful things. Just a few days ago I was crying out to Him in despair, wondering if anyone would ever believe or if it was all in vain, but now look! I will never doubt Him again!”

Turin smiled and guided Aaron to the village square where a feast was being laid and calibrations were starting. Aaron sank down in an honored place on the bench at the head table, and Turin sat down beside him. In vain Aaron looked for Sabina among those gathered, but she was nowhere to be seen.

“Aaron, say a blessing for us,” urged Turin.

Aaron grabbed the table and pushed himself up. For a moment a wave of dizziness passed over him and his vision blurred. He steadied himself and looked at the gathered people. “Let us give thanks for this meal, and for the work of the Lord in this village.” Aaron bowed his head, and those gathered followed suit. “Father God, thank you for what you have done! Thank you for touching the hearts of these people, thank You for sending Your Son to die so that we might live! Oh Lord we praise You! We praise Your Holy Name and we thank You for what You have done. It is You alone who have saved these people. Thank you Lord, for blessing us with this meal tonight. Bless those who prepared it and those who worked to provide it. Bless this village Lord. Keep us close to You and fill us with Your spirit. Amen.”

Aaron looked up, and his eye was drawn to the low roof of a building across the square. Sabina was sitting there all alone, her arms wrapped around her up-drawn knees.

The women were beginning to serve the meal and laughter and talk filled the square. Aaron stepped away from the table and turned. Turin reached out and grabbed his arm. “Where are you going?”

“I’ll be right back,” replied Aaron.

Turin stood up, but Aaron shook his head. “This is something I need to do alone. Trust me.”

Turin slowly sat back down, watching Aaron with knitted brows.

Aaron moved away and began working his way through the crowd. He was feeling more then a little dizzy now, and he had a horrible headache. Two days of speaking without food or sleep was begin to take it’s toll. Aaron made it to the building where Sabina was. He looked around for how she had gotten up there. Spotting a barrel, he stepped up on top of it and pulled himself up onto the roof.

Sabina started and then glared furiously at him.

Aaron sat near the edge of the roof and faced her. “Sabina, come and join us.”

“No,” she replied angrily.

“Why?”

“I don’t want to.”

Aaron was filled with pity for this lost girl. Lord, help me reach her! “What is holding you back Sabina? Why can’t you let yourself be loved and lead by Christ? Why can’t you give yourself to Him and become free from worldly fears?”

Sabin a looked away, resting her head on her knees. Tears filled her eyes and slid down her cheeks. Aaron carefully moved closer, as if trying to befriend a shy doe, aware that the wrong move would scare her. “Sabina,” he said gently. “Give yourself to God, let Him care for you. Follow Him and become free.”

Sabina looked at him, her large eyes filled with fear and disbelief, but also a spark of hope and longing. Suddenly her countenance hardened and she turned away. “Go away Aaron Dalvarian, go and join your friends. Leave me in peace.”

“You have no peace,” said Aaron, quietly.

“Just go away” yelled Sabina. “Leave me alone! You’ve done enough! Just go!”

Aaron hesitated and then nodded, knowing he could not force her salvation. Father help her, he pleaded. Aaron swung down off the roof to the street below.

This last conversation had taken all his strength, and he hardly made it back to the table where Turin waited. He ate some, but he was too tired to really taste it.

Leaning his arms on the table he wearily rested his head on them. He could see the people eating in fellowship together, and he could hear their laughter. The joy that flooded the village square was rich and filled with Christ’s Spirit. Aaron closed his eyes, finally able to rest after completing the task the Lord had given him.

Aaron did not wake when Turin lifted him up and carried him to a room in the tavern, where he laid him on the bed the tavern-keeper’s wife had prepared.

“Aaron, Aaron wake up!”

Aaron opened his eyes and blinked in the sunlight. Turin was standing by his bed. Aaron sat up in confusion. He couldn’t remember having gone to bed. “Where are we?”

“In the tavern. You fell asleep yesterday afternoon. It’s now nearly supper time today,” said Turin. “You slept like the dead, there was no waking you, so we thought it best to let you rest.”

Aaron yawned and rubbed his eyes. “I slept that long?”

“Yes, you were completely worn out,” replied Turin. “I wouldn’t have disturbed you, but something happened.”

“What is it? Is the village alright?” asked Aaron, worriedly.

“Oh far better! it is completely changed. The people are eager to hear more and learn how to walk with God. Everyone is showing love and kindness to each other, I have never seen anything like it!” exclaimed Turin.

Aaron smiled. “I am glad, but also afraid. When this newness and wonder wares off, I am worried that they will slip back into their old ways if they do not have the God’s Word with them. It must be read in every home, memorized, and studied diligantly.”

“Aaron, that is what I have come to tell you!” exclaimed Turin. “Old Man Simons collects books, and he was given a very old book by a man who once came through our village many, many years ago. It’s the Bible Aaron! We had no idea he had it! We all decided to pray and ask God to give us a Bible, and Old Man Simons told us we were welcome to look through his collection. He couldn’t promise anything as he has read none of them. Then today, we found it! It took hours, but it was there!”

Aaron scrambled up and slapped his friend on the back. “Praise God! I have a Bible, but I will keep it with me wherever I travel to. Now you have your own!”

“Yes,” laughed Turin. “Even now, all those who can read and write are being gathered. We want to make hundreds and hundreds of copies! So many that you cannot go anywhere without seeing one!”

“And I know what I will do,” said Aaron. “I will teach a small band of young men how to lead the people and teach the word of God.”

For three weeks, Aaron stayed in the village with the people, teaching them and helping them. The team in the bindery worked hard, and by the middle of the forth week they had copied the entire New Testament. Several more villagers came to believe, and Aaron could hardly step outside before he was surrounded by the eager people.

It was the fifth week when everything changed.

“Aaron!” cried Turin, dashing into the room where Aaron was studying with a young man.

Aaron looked up. “What is it?”

“Aaron, we have to leave,” panted Turin.

“What do you mean?” asked Aaron, in alarm.

“There is word. Imperial forces have been sighted on the road coming this way, and it is even worse. The city of Endoria has fallen and those who resisted were massacred.” Turin sank slowly into a chair at the table and covered his face with his hands. “We have to go. We have to leave our homes and escape. They will destroy is if we don’t. We… we have to leave everything!”

Aaron was stunned. It really happening! So soon! For the most part the war had been news, but now it was on their doorstep. Aaron finally found his voice. “Where will we go?”

“To the capital,” replied Turin. “Everyone all over the county is seeking refuge in the capital. Once there, every able-bodied man and boy will rally and make a last stand with our prince.”

Aaron laid a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “God will go with us. He knew this would happen, and He knows the outcome. We are safe with Him, and whether we live or die He will never leave us. He is good, and He is sovereign.”

Turin looked up at him. His face was slightly pale, but he nodded. “I trust Him, Aaron.”

Aaron stood up and walked toward the door. “Come, both of you, we must get ready.”

Outside, the people stood in the streets whispering fearfully. When they saw Aaron, they fell silent, wondering what he would say. Aaron walked straight to the village square. He jumped up on the fountain’s rim and raised a hand. The gathered crowd fell silent.

“Brothers and sisters,” began Aaron. “Today we have heard word of another city fallen to the enemy, and of a force marching to our village. All the people of Ardenta are fleeing to the capital where we will make a stand, united together. I know the fear you must feel, and I understand what it is like to leave your home. This will be hard, I know. But, from the beginning of time, God knew this would happen, and He knows what will happen. He has a special path for each of us to walk, and He will be with us forever, never leaving us. Together we will go to the capital and face the enemy. God will be with us, no matter what happens. He will give us the strength we need if we call upon Him.

“All of you must go home. Prepare to leave, but do not take much. We need food and water the most, and bring only a few keepsakes, for the road is long. But, before we separate, let us all spend a moment in prayer together. Then we will go to our homes, prepare, and meet back here. I encourage all of you to pray, and the more who pray aloud the better, for then we can be united in each other’s prayers.”

The people all nodded and murmured their consent.

Aaron looked upward, holding his hands up and out as if to receive something. “Father, we need You. As You know, another city has fallen and the enemy is even now baring down upon us. Please, please help us to all get out safely. Hold back the troops of the enemy or redirect their path. Please Father, I know all things are possible for You. If it is Your will, help us all to escape. Give us peace and strength. Comfort us and prepare us for what we will face. Help us to feel Your presence, be with us, help us to get to the capital if it is Your will. Please Lord, free this country. Help us! Scatter the enemy and send them fleeing before us. Oh Father, this is our greatest desire; that this country might be free. Oh Father, Not our will but Yours! May Your will be done, and help us to accept it with trust, no matter what it may be.”

Turin prayed next, and then one after another the people of the village lifted up their voices to their Heavenly Father. Aaron smiled when he heard even the stumbled words of little children. He knew that whatever happened, he would never want to go back on the decision he had made to live and stand with the people of Ardenta.

When the time of prayer ended, Aaron dismissed the people and they hurried to their homes. They were not as frantic as before, and Aaron sensed the peace that had descended on the village. He stepped down and stood beside Turin.

“Well, I suppose we should go down to the farm,” Turin said, slowly. He looked very lost, and a little dazed.

Aaron laid a hand on his shoulder.

Turin turned to face him. “I couldn’t have done it before,”

“Done what?” asked Aaron.

“Left. I wouldn’t have gone. This is all I have, and it is my home. It was the most important thing to me. We are Ardentans, Aaron. We do not leave our land. Our homes are passed from generation to generation, our boundaries marked from the beginning. We do not leave. I would have died defending my farm. We all would have died, spread out and alone, fighting for ourselves. I can tell you now, there will be few who come to the capital. My people would rather die on the land that they have never left, then abandon it.” Turin shook his head. “It probably seems silly to you, but this has been the way of our people from the beginning. We do not easily change.”

“So, what did change?” asked Aaron. “Why are you ready to go now?”

“I finally see that this is not my true home,” replied Turin. “I am willing to leave if Christ goes with me.”

Aaron nodded slowly and looked out over the square. “I guess I don’t really know what it’s like, but I think I might have felt a little bit of what you must be going through when I left my home.” He shook his head slowly and then looked about. “Where is Sabina?”

“Probably on the Baker’s roof. She likes it up there, and the Baker’s daughter is her friend. Well, I should say was her friend. Sabina won’t talk to her now that she’s a Believer,” replied Turin. He let out an exasperated sigh. “I don’t understand it! Why doesn’t she believe?”

“Fear of the unknown, of no longer being what she believes is independent. It’s the devil. He is attacking her with lies and she is believing them. Only by God’s grace can she be saved,” replied Aaron. “She cannot possible come on her own. It won’t be until he reaches out and opens her blind eyes that she will finally see the truth.”

Turin nodded. “Well, lets go get her and make ready to leave.”

The two young men walked down to the Baker’s shop, and sure enough, there was Sabina. She was sitting on the roof with her knees drawn up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them.

“Sabina,” called Turin. “Come down, we have to go.”

Sabina deliberately turned away.

“Sabina come,” commanded Turin, firmly.

She did not move.

Turin’s eyes narrowed. “Why you little–– Sabina! You get down here right this instant! Get down or I’ll––”

Aaron laid a hand on Turin’s arm and gave him a warning look. Turin let out a slow angry breath.

“She’s hurting Turin. She feels like she has lost you, and now she’s loosing her home,” said Aaron in a low voice. “She doesn’t have the hope that you now have. Think of what it must be like!”

“If she wasn’t so stubborn she wouldn’t feel that way,” shot back Turin in an angry whisper.

“Turin, show her love. Ask God to take away your frustration and replace it with His love for her. It may be that He will use you to bring Sabina to Himself,” said Aaron.

Turin clenched and unclenched his fists. Closing his eyes, he slowly let out his frustration in a long breath. Then, he nodded and walked toward the shop. Turin jumped and caught hold of the low roof, pulling himself up. He came toward Sabina and sat down beside her.

Aaron turned and walked away, knowing it would be best to leave them alone. He walked down the road and out of the village. He soon came to the farm and climbed up to his loft room. Aaron pushed open a window to give himself some light, and then stood and looked about. It had been a crazy month, yet a wonderful one. Aaron began packing his satchel. As he worked, he began to think.

Despite the strong words he had spoken in the square, Aaron felt overwhelmed and confused. It was easy to be faithful when others were watching, and looking up to him for guidance. It was much harder when he was alone. Aaron didn’t understand why God was letting this happen, and he was frustrated and scared. He hated the thought of being separated from his father and sister by force. He had known the risk when he chose to leave them and the safety of his country, but he had always felt that it wouldn’t really get as bad as all that. He would always have a way out; a way back. Now, he was trapped with killers on every side, and he was about to flee to a capital where they would make a last stand. It had all the makings of a massacre, and Aaron didn’t think he was ready for that.

Aaron picked up his Bible from where he had set it on the floor while gathering his things. As he turned, his boot caught on a loose board and he stumbled, falling hard to the floor. Aaron shook his head and slowly pushed himself up. He spotted his Bible, face up, having fallen with it’s pages open. Aaron picked it up and was about to close it when his eye caught the words of a passage. Slowly he sat back down, his eyes sweeping over the page and his heart drinking in the words.

‘Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised. For, “In just a little while, He who is coming will come and will not delay.”And, “But My righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back.” But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.’

Aaron sat still. He had been in doubt, full of confusion and fear. Outwardly he had said the right things, but inside he had not been trusting his Heavenly Father. Yet here, when he needed it most and hadn’t even asked, God gave him this passage. Not only did the words fill him with strength and fresh resolve, but the fact that God knew what he needed and sent it at the very moment Aaron was struggling, reminded him who was in control and who was watching over him.

“Father, I’m sorry,” Aaron said quietly. “I shouldn’t have doubted. My path is unclear and I can’t see what lies ahead, but You can. You know what will happen, and You will never leave me. That is enough. Oh Father help me to remember that it is enough. Thank You for helping me now, even when I neglected to ask for help. Please give us strength, keep us safe and help us.”

Aaron got to his feet and picked up his pack. He put his Bible in, and slung the pack on his back. Aaron climbed down the ladder and walked out of the barn. He hurried to the house and found Sabina and Turin. Turin had a leather rucksack on his back, and stood with a set face. Sabina was gathering a few last items from the kitchen. Aaron could see she had been crying.

The three soon finished and set out for the village. Many had already gathered in the square, and the last stragglers ran to join them. When everyone arrived, they began to leave the village. Aaron walked with Turin and Sabina somewhere in the middle of the company. Several men and women pushed wheelbarrows carrying possessions or children. One horse and cart belonging to the village headman passed with his wife and daughters. Two pack ponies were led by along, their backs stacked high with supplies for the journey. Aaron had to step out of the way as two boys raced down the road, pulling handcarts loaded with a few possessions. However, most of the people carried what they owned in rucksacks or satchels so as to move faster.

As Aaron looked about, he couldn’t help but think of the Israelites, on their flight from Egypt, their journey to the promised land, and the many journeys to and from exile.

Through every situation, God had been there, protecting and guiding them. Aaron knew that same God would be with them today. Help me to never forget, Father.

Aaron gently laid a sleeping child on the grass. He had carried the boy since late afternoon, and now the sun had long since set. People were gathering in little groups on the grass, and a few small fires soon sprang up. Aaron slowly rose and eased his shoulders back, trying to relieve his aching arms. The boy’s mother thanked Aaron and offered to share some of the food she had brought. Aaron told her he had some of his own, and cautioned her to use what she had sparingly.

Aaron moved away and sat down in the grass. He opened his satchel and pulled out a piece of bread and dried meat from the supplies Turin had given him. Several people had already eaten and were curled up asleep in the grass. One young man came up to Aaron and stood in front of him, shifting from one foot to the other.

Aaron glanced up at him. “Hello Andrew, how are you doing?” he asked, motioning to the ground beside him.

Andrew sat down. He was a few years younger then Aaron, but he was just as tall. He shoved a wave of black hair from his eyes and stared at the ground. “Aaron, why is this happening?”

“I don’t know Andrew, and I won’t pretend I do. But, I know that God knows, and He will never leave us. That is enough,” replied Aaron.

“Really?” asked Andrew, studying Aaron’s face. “Is that really enough for you? You don’t care what happens?”

Aaron smiled sadly. “I want it to be enough, and sometimes it is. But, sometimes I doubt and try to figure things out on my own. Then, when I can’t figure things out, I get frustrated and scared. I have to pray a lot about it, because I often forget God is in control. When I go my own way and try to change or figure out my future, things get messed up really fast. Then I realize I’ve made the same mistake again, and I have to ask God to help me get out of the mess I have gotten myself into. If only I would trust him completely, I would be much better off. I’m stubborn though, and prideful. I don’t want to wait on God, and I hate feeling helpless. I feel like I can do it better. At least if I’m doing something, I don’t feel helpless. You know?”

Andrew nodded.

“This is one of my many faults, and I pray daily that God will help me to gain the victory over it. God is always with us, and He’ll help us even when we forget to ask. I never really used to doubt before, but I have never been in situations that really tried my strength and put my faith to the test. I’m realizing now how much I still have to learn. It’s a lot harder to trust God in times like this, but it is in these times that we must trust Him. We cannot save ourselves.”

As Aaron was speaking, others had drawn near and were now sitting around him and Andrew. Aaron smiled at them, and then turned back to Andrew. I memorized a passage of Psalms a while ago, and it has always helped me. Psalm forty-six, this is what it says; ‘God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; He lifts His voice, the earth melts. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations He has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; He burns the shields with fire. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.’”

“Will He?” asked one girl. “Will He make wars to cease to the ends of the earth? Will he brake the bow, shatter the spear and burn the shield?”

Aaron looked at those who had gathered around him and were listening intently. “Yes. Someday all wars will end and there will be peace. As Isaiah 2:4 says; ‘He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.’ One day, we will have peace, but whether that day is soon or far away, God will always be with us.”

A young man stood from one of the fires and came over to join them. “Aaron, I have something to ask you.”

“Go ahead, Noah,” encouraged Aaron.

“Darrien and I brought this with us. Would you be able to help us work on it when time allows?” Noah stepped through the seated group and came to Aaron, handing him a wooden box.

Aaron opened it and caught his breath. “Well done boys!” he exclaimed. Inside, lay Old Man Simon’s Bible and the completed copy of the New Testament.

“We want to make copies of the New Testament for everyone, but there isn’t enough paper and ink with us right now. We were going to start on the Old Testament, but there isn’t enough for that either. What should we copy down first?” asked Darrien, coming to join them.

“There is no one part of the Bible that is more important then another,” began Aaron. “With that being said… What if you worked on the Psalms of David? They are poetical and easy to memorize, and they deal with so much. David must have gone through everything, for I can never read the psalms without finding something that seems to mirror how I feel at that moment.”

“We’ll do it. I’ll tell the others,” exclaimed Noah eagerly.

“Don’t stay up too late,” warned Aaron. “We still have a long ways to travel.”

“We’ll take first watch,” said Darrien. “I can’t sleep anyways, I’m not tired anymore now that we have this to do.”

The two boys hurried off and Aaron turned to the rest gathered there. “Lets all get some sleep. Like I told the boys, there is still a long way to go.”

The sun was high in the sky, shining down on the weary travelers as they trudged along the dusty road. The question ‘how much longer’ had been asked multiple times by every child and they were all hot and tired of walking. Aaron knew they needed something to lift their spirits and he tried to remember what he liked to do to help time pass. “Father help me to––” before the murmured words were half way from his mouth, he knew. “Listen up!” he called.

People glanced back or hurried forward, eager to hear what he had to say.

“I know of a way to pass the time,” explained Aaron. “I’ll teach you a hymn. What better way to pass time then by learning something new, especially if it’s praise to God?”

“Let’s try it,” Turin agreed, eagerly.

“What does everyone think?” asked Aaron, turning in a slow circle as he spoke, so as to see them all. There were plenty of nods and eager urging. “Go on Aaron, teach us!” called one of the Village Headman’s daughters.

Aaron paused a moment to think. Then he smiled. “I know, it’s a hymn that was written very recently. It has wonderful lyrics, especially for us right now.” Aaron hummed to himself a moment to get the tune, and then in a loud, clear voice sang the first verse “‘A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing / Our Helper, He amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing / For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe / His craft and power are great and armed with cruel hate / On earth is not his equal’” Aaron paused to catch his breath, and then spoke. “That’s the first verse, let’s see how long it takes to learn. When we have it down, I’ll give you the second.”

By the end of the day, they had learned two hymns and sung them over and over, their spirits lifting as they praised their Heavenly King.

Two more days passed, and during the time the group learned many more songs, memorized passages and stories from the Bible, and listened as Aaron explained things from the Scripture to them.

Welcome indeed was the cry “There’s the city!” that was passed down through the line by the boys who had run ahead.

The weary company soon arrived and found the great city bustling with noise, excitement and people. Aaron was overwhelmed as he was hit by the full force of a city preparing for segue. Trying not to get crushed by the press of the crowd around them, Aaron barely glimpse the headman talking with a soldier. Aaron leaned close to Turin and shouted to be heard above the noise. “What’s going on?”

“That’s one of the Capital guards!” exclaimed Turin. “I never thought to see one in my life!”

Aaron looked back at the soldier. He wore black leather boots, black pants and a black tunic that was belted at the waist. Thick leather vest covered his chest, back, and shoulders, and he had a sword at his side. Aaron didn’t see anything very impressive about him–– aside from his hight–– but Turin was acting as though he was a knight in shining armor.

Turin grabbed Aaron’s arm. “Come on! Let’s get closer!”

The two pushed their way through the crowd and were just in time to hear the man call fr another soldier. He was dressed the same as Turin, and must have been a refugee. The new soldier saluted the guard and then motioned for the villagers to follow him.

The soldier led the band through the crowded streets and down several alleys to a large stone building and stopped. “You may have this for your entire village. I’m afraid it isn’t much, but there are survivors pouring through the gates every day. You’ll be luck to not be on the street.”

The Village Headman, Aaron, Turin and a few others took a look at the building. It wasn’t large, but they would be able to make room. “We’ll give the smallest room to the single young men, and the next smallest to the single young woman. The rest of the rooms can be shared by the families,” decided the Headman.

When they came back outside, Aaron found several of the children were crying from hunger and weariness. He and the other young men spread out to help the largest families.

As he was carrying a crying child up the steps to the door, Aaron glanced over and saw Sabina. She was sitting on the ground with a little girl in her lap, and two little boys leaning their weary heads against her. Aaron heard a faint whisper of the lullaby she was singing softly to them.

The families were soon settled in their own rooms, and the single young men and women went to theirs. There were not many singles, and Aaron found he would only be sharing a room with Turin, Noah and Darrien. Sabina went with the only three single girls from the village in the other room.

As he and Turin watched them go, Aaron leaned toward his friend. “Your sister has a gentle side after all.”

“Give her a child and she’s a new person altogether,” chuckled Turin.

Morning dawned, and after breakfast and a time of prayer, the men and boys went off to train with the soldiers.

Turin was a born fighter, and the way of the sword seemed natural and easy to him. Aaron, on the other hand, found sword craft less to his liking. He was not afraid to fight and even die, but he hated the thought of killing. Still, he worked hard and learned well. Aaron and Turin worked together, and the two became quite skilled, though Turin was by far the superior. Aaron also found that his friend was a skilled archer. Shooting a bow was not something Aaron picked up well, and after having his arm winged by the string more times then he wished to count, Turin gave up trying to teach him. “You just haven’t got the technique and there isn’t time. Stick to a sword.”

Each day, Turin and Aaron looked for an opportunity to share their faith with those around them. Some listened, but most said they were too busy. This exasperated Turin to no end. “You blind fools!” he would shout. “Don’t you see the Empire is about to crush us? God is the only hope in all of this!”

Each night, the people of the little village gathered together for worship. Some days, Aaron had one of his students lead this time. Among those Aaron was preparing to be spiritual leaders, Darrien and Noah were the most ready. The two young men were on fire for Christ, and they spoke and taught with wisdom and understanding beyond their years. Aaron knew that God had picked them out for something special. He was preparing them to be strong leaders, and Aaron was sure they would be desperately needed in the time to come.

Noah was twenty, with dark brown hair and eyes. He was the quieter of the two, but was by no means timid. He confessed to Aaron that he had once been addicted to gambling and lived a pointless life, going from one place to the next. He had waisted all his inheritance, gambled away the farm his father and mother had left him, and was completely adrift. He had been passing through the village the day Aaron had come, and when he heard Aaron speak about Christ he knew in his heart it was true. After he accepted Christ he was completely changed. “I finally realized my life had meaning, and I understood how sinful and wasteful I had been. I felt God call me that day, and I couldn’t ignore it. I want to give my life to Him and serve Him in all that I do,” he told Aaron. He now studied with passion, and spoke of God with such zeal, that those who had once known him could hardly believe it was the same young man.

Darrien was eighteen, with black hair and striking dark grey eyes. He had been the son of a rich widower. When his father died, he willed everything to Darrien and placed Darrien under his Uncle’s care until he came of age. Darrien’s uncle was a cruel man who mistreated his nephew and eventually disowned him–– cheating him out of his inheritance and taking the property for himself. Thrown out on the streets at the age of sixteen, Darrien had learned to fend for himself. He had traded and bargained when he could, worked where he was able, and stole when all else failed. He had finally settled down on the outskirts of the village where he had earned a living as a farm hand, hoping to buy his own piece of land one day. He too had been there the day Aaron came and spoke in the village square. He had stayed up all night, listening with wonder. He felt God’s call, and wanted to do all he could to help spread the message of truth. “I was with Noah the day we found the Bible in Old Man Simons’s collection. We both felt the urge to copy it down, and so we set to work. It was so wonderful reading it, and we both knew that everyone needed to be able to do the same. I want to give my whole life to God, and I feel I have only begun the work He has in store for me.” he told Aaron.

Aaron loved to watch them work, study, and teach together, for they were filled with a strong passion for the Lord. Every time he interacted with them, Aaron found himself strengthened by their faith and zeal.

Turin… well Turin was a different matter, and one that confused Aaron at times. Turin had given his life to God, yet he did not have what was needed to be a spiritual leader. He was too inclined to loose his temper, and he seemed to relish the feel of a steel blade in his hand more then words of teaching on his lips. He was a strong warrior, but Aaron felt sure he did not have the makings of a spiritual leader. Still, he taught Turin in the Word, and the young man loved these times of learning. Aaron did not feel right about keeping his fears to himself, yet he was unsure of how to bring up the subject in the right way. After praying about it for several days, God handled the problem for him.

It was one day when the two were walking home from training with the soldiers. Turin suddenly turned to Aaron, “Tell me the truth, do you think I could be a good leader among the people?”

“Well, you are a brave and cunning warrior,” replied Aaron.

“I mean spiritually, like you, Noah, and Darrien.”

“Well,” began Aaron, slowly. Father give me the right words. “No, I… I don’t think so. It is nothing about your faith or your belief in God. I think you are a strong Christian, I just don’t think you are called to be a leader spiritually. The Bible says not all are called to such a task, and this doesn’t mean God won’t use you for His glory in other places. I just don’t think this is what He has for you. Now, I do not know everything, and if you feel He is calling you in this direction, then I will say no more.”

“No,” replied Turin, quietly. “I am glad you spoke freely. It is what I have secretly known for a while now, I just needed to know it wasn’t my fear or suspicion talking. I have felt deep inside that I was meant to do something else.” he looked up at Aaron. “The only reason I kept on in this path was because I didn’t want to lose the time you spent teaching me in the Word.”

“Oh Turin, if you had only said so from the start I would have gladly told you that I have no intention of ending that time,” exclaimed Aaron.

Turin looked relieved, and he smiled. Still, there was a look of questioning in his eyes.

“What is it?” asked Aaron.

Turin sighed and shook his head. “I… I don’t know. It’s just… well I know I’m not meant to lead like you do, but if not that, what else? I have a horrible temper, I’m violent, I act before I think… how can God possibly use me, and why would He even want to?”

Aaron stopped walking and faced his friend. “Turin, you do have weaknesses, but so do I! God chose me to be the only one to bring His Word to your people in their darkest hour! This task has higher stakes then anything I could have imagined. And he chose me, a mere boy plagued by fear of the unknown. Why he didn’t send a strong man like my father I will never know. But he took me and He is working through my weaknesses and making me strong. He is using me to accomplish His will in this country. I am supposed to come to you and tell you the Truth and speak of a God who holds all things in His hands and is in complete control, yet I nearly lose it when I come face-to-face with the unknown. If He can use someone so imperfect for such a task, you can be sure that He has something planned for you.”

Turin looked down and kicked at the cobblestones. “Aaron… I hate to admit this, but sometimes… sometimes I feel like I’m walking on the edge. After I do something like lose my temper, I’m filled with this horrible fear that I’ve finally made my last mistake. I feel like I’m one step from the edge, and I can’t go back to who I once was… yet I can’t escape it!”

“Turin, when you Believed you became a new creation. The old is dead and gone. Christ died for everything you have ever done and ever will do,” Aaron stopped, trying to find the words to say. “Think if it like this, when you lived in sin you were the servant of the enemy. Now, you have changed sides and joined the ranks of Christ. However, the enemy is not going to let you go that easily. He wants you back, Turin, and he is going to throw all the powers of hell at you trying to win you over. He’ll entice you, he’ll tempt you, and if you fall, he’ll try to fill you with such guilt that you lose hope in your salvation. Let me tell it to you plainly; you cannot ever do something that was to evil for Christ’s blood to cover. You can never take one step to far away for Him to reach you. The Psalmist wrote, ‘For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His steadfast love toward those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does He remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him.’ So, now is the times to stand up and fight the devil’s lies with the truth.”

Turin raised his head and looked at Aaron. “A spiritual warrior?”

Aaron grinned. “Yes, a spiritual warrior, armed with the Sword of Truth.”

The days passed, and Turin, Noah, Aaron, Darrien and the others continued to tell all they met of Christ’s love and sacrifice. Many did not want to listen, saying there was too much going on to consider such things. They all claimed that they were perfectly safe in the capital, but busy, and that maybe when things calmed down they would consider it.

This frustrated and worried the young men. They knew that the people were being foolish, but there seemed no way to reach them.

Then came the day when the enemy was sighted.

Soon an army began to encircle the capital, and soldiers watched from the battlements as the fires multiplied in the night. The next morning the ground was covered with enemy soldiers, tents, and fires. For a long, anxious day, the soldiers, men, and boys watched from the battlements or hung around the walls, unsure of what to do. The prince and his officers watched from one of the towers, but they gave no orders.

The day dragged on, and by afternoon the soldiers and volunteers were nervous and on edge. However, as the day passed, their dread began to away as no sign of movement was seen in the enemy camp.

Darkness fell, and the volunteers were sent home, as well as many of the soldiers. They were ordered to stay on the lookout and be ready if they were summoned.

Aaron, Noah, Turin and Darrien walked along the narrow streets worriedly. They entered the building where their village was housed, and Aaron gathered everyone to have a time of prayer. Afterwords, they turned in for the night.

After several hours of being started by nothing, Aaron finally drifted into an uneasy sleep, but he had the feeling something was wrong, though he couldn’t decide what.

It was late in the night when a loud crash and screams woke the young men. \Aaron scrambled up, groping for his sword.

“What was that?” cried Noah.

“Hurry!” shouted Turin. They scrambled into the hall, which was choked with the village men and their boys. Turin fought his way through the crowd, yelling at them to follow him. At last they scrambled out of the building into the street.

Aaron looked left and right, trying to discover the source of the commotion. “This way!” shouted Turin, and he took off at a dead run.

People were looking out of doors and windows and men and boys were flooding the streets, strapping on swords and clutching bows.

Turin led the way with Aaron, Darrien, and Noah hot on his heels. They raced down the alleyways, their boots thudding on the cobblestones. Several soldiers were in the streets, trying to organize the defenders into a fighting force. Figures scrambled this way and that in the dark, and torches flared up.

Aaron and his friends arrived at the walls in time to see the roof of a building shattered into splinters. Aaron raised his arms over his head and Noah and Darrien ducked, but Turin charged straight on. The other three followed, dodging ruins and the wounded and dead. Turin took the steps to the top of the walls three at a time and the others followed. When they reached the battlements, they were met by complete chaos.

Defenders were cowering behind the palisade with shields over their heads, or were fleeing for the stairs. They shoved one another, tripped over the wounded, and dropped weapons to the ground. A few of the soldiers tried to regain order, but most fled or crouched down out of sight.

Turin’s eyes flashed as he took in the seen. Two teens scrambled for the stairs beside him, but Turin shoved them back. “Fight like men!” he yelled at them. Turin snatched a bow from one of the arches cowering behind the wall. Yanking an arrow from his quiver, he took aim and fired into the enemy ranks below. Turin leapt up upon the breastwork. “Turin! Get down!” yelled Aaron, but the young man payed no heed.

Silhouetted by the firelight, Turin threw down the bow and drew his sword. Raising the blade over his head he yelled, “This is our city! Our Country! Our people are behind these walls! Act like men and defend your last city!”

Some looked up, and Turin took charge. “Archers, along the wall, two men deep. First line fire, then drop to one knee and reload while second line fires. You have done this a thousand times! Now it’s the real thing! Aim well! Take out whoever is firing the catapults! Air for the torchbearers!

As the archers assembled, Turin looked down into the enemy ranks. Firelight lit up everything, and he could see several war machines launching missiles over the walls to crash into the buildings beyond. Turin spun on a soldier who was crouched beside him. “Do we have any defense weapons?”

“Trebuchets and ballistas,” replied the man.

“Get them working and give then enemy a taste of what’s coming to them,” growled Turin. He yanked the man to his feet and shoved him along the walls.
                  “Go now!”

Soon the machines were ready and teams began firing them at the enemy siege weapons. Turin, Aaron, Darrien, and Noah worked among them, and Aaron was convinced of what he had thought all along–– Turin was a born warrior. He was almost wild in his ferocity as he defended the last city of his country. As Turin stormed up and down along the breastwork, the men took courage. Seeing a simple villager standing so boldly in front of the enemy lifted their spirits and they began to fight.

The struggle lasted long into the night, but a few hours before dawn it immediately ceased. All the torches in the enemy camp went out, and the night became still and silent. Panting for breath and bracing for a trap, the men waited through the last few hours of darkness, staring down toward the place they knew their enemy must be. Turin finally sent several detachments to fight the fires in the city and tend to the wounded, but he stayed on the wall along with a handful of men to keep watch.

Aaron was leaning against the wall, his eyes almost closed, when Turin gave a cry of surprise. Jerking up, Aaron looked down. In the dusky morning light, fires were being lit. But, to everyone’s shock, the imperial soldiers were strolling about the camp, burnishing armor, grooming horses, and eating the morning meal.

The weary men on the walls looked at one another in bewilderment. Had it all been a dream, a wild imagining brought on by fear? But no, when they turned they could see the destruction of the buildings, the smoldering remains of fires, and the blood and sweat of their companions. Why had the enemy stopped the attack and then pretended that nothing had happened?

“Fear,” said Aaron, quietly voicing the answer to the unspoken question. “That is their tactic; their weapon is fear.” He looked to Turin. “That is why they don’t attack. They don’t need to. They are content to drive us to destruction by the power of our own fear. They will take the city easily. The food and water will run low, more homes will be destroyed, attacks will come unexpectedly in the night, the men will be worn down both mentally and physically, and we will fall in a mater of days.”

Turin was about to deny it, but when he looked at the pale, terror stricken faces of the men and boys around him, he knew it was true. He drove his fist into his palm several times and clenched his teeth. At last, he spoke. “Aaron, there is one thing we can do.”

“What?” asked Aaron.

“Someone must take away their fear,” said Turin.

“Only God can do that,” replied Aaron, wearily leaning against the parapets and running a hand over his eyes.

“Then someone needs to tell them about Him,” said Turin.

Aaron looked up, his eyes widening with the thought.

Noah looked up from where he was crouched beside Darrien–– who had sat down to catch a moment’s rest. “How?” he asked. “How will we tell so many?”

“The great city hall!” exclaimed Turin. “The building is huge, we could fit hundreds!”

“There are thousands in this city!” returned Aaron.

“Well then we had better get to work,” replied Turin. With that, he turned and walked off. Aaron straightened and followed, and Noah grabbed Darrien, pulling him to his feet. Darrien staggered, rubbing his eyes. “What? Are we under attack?”

“No, Aaron is about to set this city on fire,” exclaimed Noah.

“Alright,” mumbled Darrien.

Noah grabbed Darrien’s arm and hauled him along until he woke up enough to run on his own. The four ran across the walkway and down the steps. Turin paused at the bottom. “So, what’s going on?” asked Darrien.

“Later,” replied Turin. “Darrien, you and Noah go tell the villagers what’s going on, tell them to come to the great hall and bring as many as they can find. Aaron, you and I will go there now and pick up whoever we can on the way.”

“But how do I tell them when I don’t even know what’s going on!” exclaimed Darrien.

“Noah will tell you on the way. Aaron, with me!” Turin sprinted off down the street and Aaron followed. He soon lagged behind, thoroughly worn out from the night before. How does Turin have so much energy after fighting and yelling orders all night? Turin was beckoning or calling to those he passed. Aaron couldn’t hear what he said, but what ever it was, it got the people’s attention. Aaron took a deep breath and pushed himself forward, ignoring the pain in his legs and chest.

At last, Turin slowed and Aaron caught up to him. Turin was breathing hard, but slow and evenly, whereas Aaron felt like panting. He forced his breathing to slow. “Where now?”

Turin pointed, and Aaron looked up. Down the street to their left was a huge building. Many other buildings had collapsed near by, for they were near the walls. Turin and Aaron walked down the street, stepping over or skirting around wreckage and ruin. The people who had followed paused to watch them, wondering where they were going.

Turn approached the great hall and pushed open the doors. He stepped in and Aaron followed. Inside, it was very light, for nearly the whole ceiling had collapsed. Pillars lay broken on the floor or leaned against the carved stone walls. Arron looked up at the huge hole in the roof, slowly turning to see the whole thing. Turin grabbed his arm and yanked him back. “Careful!”

Aaron turned and sucked in a breath. In the center of the floor was a huge opening full of water. “What on earth!”

“There is a natural fountain with a river that runs through the city. When the hall was built it spanned over the river and the fountain came up through the center of the floor. When the roof caved in it must have broken the floor, flooded the place, and clogged the fountain,” explained Turin.

Aaron walked slowly to the water’s edge. He looked down and saw pieces of the roof and pillars, but also a firm bottom. The water was crystal clear, for all the dust and debris had settled long ago. He looked up at Turin. “It’s perfect.”

Turin raised an eyebrow, cocking his head slightly. “How?”

“There is plenty of room here for a hundred or more people, and there is plenty of water,” said Arron.

Turin smiled, suddenly understanding. He turned and walked to the doors. Setting his shoulder against a pillar leaning against one door, he shoved it out of the way. The stone column shattered, and Turin flung both doors open. Stepping outside, he began calling to the watching people.

Aaron turned away and closed his eyes, taking in several breaths. “Father help me,” he whispered. “Speak through me, use my simple words to work wonders for You. Help us all.”

Arron looked again around the room, seeing how there was plenty of floor left surrounding the hole. He spotted a large flat bolder sticking up from the water and decided that this would be the best place to stand. Aaron stepped to the water’s edge and sat down, slowly lowering himself down. He stood and found the water only came up to his waist and the bottom was firm. Aaron waded through it to the rock and scrambled up. He stood dripping and watched the people walking cautiously in and slowly beginning to circle the water.

The people looked at the young man on the rock, his strange fair hair highlighted by the sun that shone down on him through the broken roof. Aaron spotted several children, and he smiled as nervous, frightened little eyes fell on him. His heart broke when he saw the blood that stained many of their clothes, and crude bandages wrapped around wounds from the night’s attack.

Turin was standing at the door, guiding the people in and reassuring them. Aaron spotted Noah and Darrien taking up places around the room, eager to help explain things to the listeners. The two had brought several of the villagers, and they began to spread out through the crowd. Even at this moment, Aaron could pick out those who knew Christ, and those who didn’t. The former had hope and light in their eyes, outshining the fear–– the latter had nothing but terror, despair, and emptiness.

When the room was full, Aaron spoke; “People of Ardenta, I am Aaron Dalvarian, and I come from Vendailia. I traveled here to live among you and to bring you a message of hope.” he looked around at the attentive gazes fixed on him. Father, use this for Your glory.

Aaron took a deep breath and began.

Aaron had been speaking for more than an hour, carefully explaining the Gospel from the garden to the resurrection. Now, he looked about at the people. A few were crying, most stared at him, in disbelief, and a few had suspicion in their expressions.

Aaron spoke. “If any of you believe then come, confess your sins, accept Christ as your Savior and King, and be baptized as a sign of the new life you have entered.”

Aaron climbed down from the rock and into the water. He stood for a moment, looking at the people. All of them took a step back from the water, and murmurs rippled through the crowd. Aaron saw Turin standing by the door. There was a look of disappointed frustration on his face, and Aaron shook his head slightly, hoping Turin wouldn’t try anything.

Aaron was ready to give up for the day, when there was movement at the edge of the crowd. He looked and saw a small boy of about ten, clinging to his father’s hand. “I believe,” he said, his voice shaking slightly.

Aaron looked up at the boy’s father, a question in his expression. The man stared at him for a long moment and then stepped back, crossing his arms and nodding slowly.

Aaron made his way through the water toward them. The boy looked up at him, a flicker of fear in his expression, but hope lying underneath.

Aaron came to the edge of the broken floor and held out his hands. The boy hesitated, and then took a step towards him. Aaron put his hands on the boy, and the child sucked in a breath. “It’s alright,” Aaron said, softly. He gently lifted the boy into the water.

The child looked up at Aaron with large brown eyes. Aaron smiled reassuringly and drew him toward the center. Aaron laid a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Do you believe you are a sinner and Christ died for you, taking your punishment so that you may have eternal life?”

The boy nodded.

“Have you told Him so?”

“I don’t know how,” whispered the child.

“Speak to him like you do your father, for he is your heavenly Father,” replied Aaron.

The boy hesitated a moment, a look of fear on his face. Lord, give him peace, Aaron silently pleaded.

The boy took in a breath. “Father… please forgive me. Please rescue me.” His prayer was simple and childish, yet it was full of faith and it had been heard and answered. The change in his expression was like the sunlight braking through the clouds, and Aaron was filled with unspeakable joy.

“Are you ready to be baptized as a sign of your faith?” asked Aaron.

The boy nodded eagerly.

Aaron placed a hand one the boy’s chest and encircled the him with his other arm. “Hold your breath and cover your nose,” he said quietly.

The boy nodded and Aaron spoke. “I now baptize you as a sign to the world of your faith in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” Aaron let the child fall under the water and then pulled him back up. The child shook the water out of his eyes laughed. Aaron hugged him and then watched as the boy rushed through the water to where his father was waiting.

Aaron looked up and froze. There, crouched beside two little boys, was a girl. He watched as she rose and walked toward the door where Turin stood, his arms loosely crossed over his chest. The girl paused in the doorway and turned.

Aaron caught his breath; it was Sabina. She smiled at him, and Aaron saw a new look in her eyes. Sabina lips moved, forming the words, “Thank you.” Then she turned away. Turin raised a hand to Aaron and then took his sister’s hand. Together they stepped out of the door, and the sunlight that streamed in hid them from view.

It took some time for the crowd to disperse. Only one child had believed, but Aaron was far from discouraged. He was learning to trust God’s timing. After all, Turin had come around. Perhaps what helped Aaron was what happened with Sabina. He wasn’t sure yet, but he had high hopes for the meaning of what he had just seen.

Aaron slowly waded out of the water and climbed up onto the floor. Noah gave him a hand and he and Darrien smiled widely at Aaron. “It’s begun,” said Noah.

Aaron looked up through the broken roof. “Thank you Father. Strengthen and bless those who have come to know You in Ardenta, and please help them to draw closer to You.”

Noah and Darrien murmured their agreement. They were silent for a moment. Then, Aaron spoke. “Did either of you see where Sabina and Turin went?”

“No, was Sabina here?” asked Noah.

“Yes,” replied Aaron. He walked across the floor and out into the sunshine, followed by the others.

Sabina was sitting on a piece of broken stone, talking to the little boy. Turin and the boy’s father were standing a few feet away. They looked up and nodded to Aaron and his companions. Aaron walked over to Sabina, who had her back turned. “Sabina,” he said, quietly.

Sabina turned and looked up at him. A smile crossed her face and her eyes brightened. “Aaron!” she exclaimed, getting to her feet. “Thank you.”

“For what?” asked Aaron.

“For never giving up on me, even when I was being mean and stubborn. I deserved a good slap and a telling off, but you were gentle and kind. In the end, I could no longer be stubborn and shut my ears to what you were saying. I knew all along it was the truth, but I wanted to fight it. I… I was frightened and I was angry with you. It wasn’t right of me to be so. Today, I just had to come, and when I heard you speaking I was moved inside. I started crying, and then I saw Jospeh here,” she nodded to the boy. “He let go of everything and came straight to you. Once I saw that, I couldn’t hold out any longer. I believer, Aaron.”

“Oh Sabina, I am so happy for you! Oh thank you Lord” cried Aaron, excited that his hopes had been correct.

“Aaron,” continued Sabina, gravely. “Can I still be baptized without lots of people watching? I… I’m afraid of people and I don’t like being around strangers.”

“Yes,” said Aaron. “Of course you can.”

Turin joined them and took Sabina’s hand. He Aaron, Sabina, Noah, Darrien, and the boy and his father walked back into the building. Aaron and Turin got into the water, and Turin lifted Sabina in. He took her hand again and led her to Aaron. There, Sabina made a confession of faith before the small company, and Turin placed her hand in Aaron’s. Aaron looked down at her and saw that she was trembling with excitement and fear, but her eyes were full of hope. Aaron joyfully baptized her, and then stepped back as Sabina flung herself into her brother’s arms and the two embraced, laughing with joy.

Aaron smiled. Oh Father, thank You!

Ellette Giselle
                  @ellette-giselle

wow. It actually went though! Good grief!

Linus Smallprint
                    @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

I like how Sabina asks to be baptized without lots of people asking. I know the idea of being baptized in front of everyone scares some new believers, especially teens. I also like to see the variety of personalities in different characters as they become Christians.

Prediction: Something dangerous is just around the corner.

Ellette Giselle
                      @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint

I also like to see the variety of personalities in different characters as they become Christians.

YES! Flat characters are no fun.

Prediction: Something dangerous is just around the corner.

What would ever make you say that……………?

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@linus-smallprint I can get behind the not wanting to be baptized in front of everyone thing. I’ve been a Christian for as long as I can remember and am just considering being baptized (mostly because I’m almost an adult and would like that to be my first decision made as an adult, to show I’m not just doing it because my parents did it), and while I won’t mind being in front of my whole church, I think I’m going to ask them to keep the loud cheering and whistling and drumming and that kinda thing to a minimum. I don’t mind them clapping and rejoicing, it’s just I have a lot of sensory issues and really don’t want to get overstimulated in that moment.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                          @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle yeah flat characters are no fun lol.

Ellette Giselle
                            @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint @keilah-h @theshadow

Ok, I started braking this one into a few more sections because it flowed better. Here are two, and I’m going to work on the rest.

Days passed, and every night the enemy tried to terrorize those who stood on the walls, chanting war songs, battle cries, or threats, launching stones or flaming projectiles over the walls, and generally trying to drive the defenders crazy with dread.

Turin stormed up and down the walls, yelling his men on, encouraging and cheering them on, correcting and scolding when needed. His faith seemed to drive him into the thick of the danger where he shown as a beacon of hope to all who stood on the walls. Ofter Turin called out on God to aid them, and as the soldier watched him move fearlessly among them, several began to take interest.

Every morning, Turin, Aaron, Noah, and Darrien went to the Great Hall. Aaron would speak to anyone who would listen, and as time passed, many soldiers trailed Turin to this place., eager to find the source of his strength. The believers from the village often came to listen, and Aaron spotted Sabina and the little boy Joseph on many occasions. It was a joyiouse accasion when Joseph’s father believed. When the crowd dwindled away, Aaron got a chance to speak with him and his son.

“Aaron, we can’t thank you enough for what you have done here,” said the tall Ardentan, placing a firm hand on Aaron’s shoulder.

“It wasn’t just me,” replied Aaron. “What you have seen is the work of God. All I did was obey.”

“And I thank you for it,” replied the man. He looked down at his son and rested a hand on the boy’s head. “Joseph has been trapped in a world of fear and grief since his mother died and this war began. What happened here took that from him. I… I feel like I have my son again. Now I understand the reason why.”

As time passed, rumors of the fearless peasant leader and his strange friend be gan to travel through the ranks.more soldiers came to the great hall–– most just eager to get a glimpse of Turin, who was already becoming something of a legend. However, those who came often returned.

One morning, as Aaron and his friends prepared to leave the walls, Turin stopped short. “Aaron, look!” he whispered.

Aaron looked and saw a warrior walking along their stretch of the wall. “Who is it?”

“Don’t you know?” whispered Turin, in awe. “That’s one of the Prince’s own soldiers! They are the elite of the elite! Only the best of swordsman can ever hope to join their ranks! Look at him, Aaron! I’ve only ever heard of them, I never thought to see one in real life!”

Aaron watched the soldier approach. He was tall–– even for an Ardentan. He wore a black vest, but that was where the similarities between himself and the other soldiers stopped. This warrior was clad in armor from his shoulders down to the elbow, and on his hands he wore thick, black gloves. A wide belt holding his sword went about his waist, and a bronze plate guarded his hips to his sternum. Black leather and plate armor guarded the front of his legs to the knee in a tunic-like garment. The rest of his legs were covered in black leather down to his boots, which had mettle guards fastened over them.

“See the mettle armor? Plate armor is rare among our people,” whispered Turin. “It must be imported from other countries, and you know how much we hate contact with outsiders.”

Aaron nodded, watching the man move. “He seems to be looking for something.”

“Or someone,” suggested Noah, who had also paused to watch.

The prince’s soldier stopped and his eyes traveled over Turin to Aaron and back again. Then he turned and began walking away.

“Does anyone else have a bad feeling about this?” asked Darrien.

Turin was still staring after the soldier.

“Come on, let’s get going,” said Aaron, stifling a yawn. He rubbed his eyes as he descended the stairs, vaguely wondering if there would ever come a time again when he would know what it was like to not be tired.

Ellette Giselle
                              @ellette-giselle

@linus-smallprint @keilah-h @theshadow

And here is part two of what I posted today.

Aaron had just finished leading a time of prayer in the Great Hall, when there was a disturbance at the door. Several people in the room shifted, and Aaron looked about, trying to find the source of the disruption.

All at once, people scrambled back from the doorway, and Aaron saw two soldiers like the one he had seen earlier on the wall. The men stepped aside, and between them a very young man came forward. He must have been no older then Aaron, but he carried himself with the authority and surety that could only come from a well understood rank. He wore a black shirt with full sleeves that tapered where they disappeared into black gloves edged with gold. A dark leather belt was about his waist with a wide gold clasp, and his left hand rested on a gold hilted sword. Gold plates covered his shoulders and dark brown straps criss-crossed his chest. The most striking of all was the royal blue cape that was draped over his shoulders and fell to just below his knees.

Aaron had a guess who this must be, and the whispers in the room confirmed it and the people dropped to one knee. This was Ardenta’s Prince; sole heir to the throne and last of the royal lineage.

The prince made a motion to the people and they slowly rose. The two soldiers who flanked the prince stood ready to leap into action at the slightest of threats. The prince looked about the room, and Aaron could see that he was tired. He thrust his wild black hair from his eyes with a gesture not quite unlike Turin’s. Heir to the throne or not, he was still a boy, and he looked like he was at the end of his strength.

The prince looked up at Aaron. “Please, continue. I meant no disturbance.”

Aaron nodded and dipped his head respectfully.

The prince moved to a corner of the room and sank down wearily on a broken chunk of stone. His guards stood on either side of him, turned slightly at an angle so they could watch the whole room.

Aaron licked his dry lips and turned back to face the people. He’s just another person, the same as anyone else in the room. He’s a lost young man in need of the truth. Still, the knowledge that Ardenta’s price was listening made Aaron feel a little shaky. Lord, speak through me.

Aaron swallowed and looked down at his Bible. “Today I want to read from John,” he said, and his voice cracked. Aaron wetted his lips again. His voice hadn’t cracked like that in years. Lord give me courage! Speak through me, please! Aaron took a deep breath. This is not my doing but Yours. Peace filled Aaron and he looked down at the page. It is you Lord, who will save him. Not me!

Clearing his throat, Aaron began to read.

Late that afternoon, Aaron woke from a few hours of sleep feeling very hungry. He could hear Darrien and Noah breathing deeply in sleep, but Turin wasn’t in the room. Aaron pulled on his vest and snuck to the door. Slipping out into the hall he walked to the stairs and softly descended the, acing the straps of his vest as he did.

Aaron crept toward the kitchen, hoping to find a piece of bread. He didn’t feel right taking more then that. They needed to ration their food with the siege. When he entered the room, he found Turin sitting on the large kitchen table, his arm about Sabina. She was leaning against her brother and they were speaking softly together. Aaron stopped short, and then quickly retreated, unwilling to brake in on the few moments they had together. Turin heard him and looked up. “Aaron, come join us.”

“No, I’m heading back to bed,” replied Aaron.

“Please Aaron,” said Sabina.

Aaron paused. “I don’t want to disturb you and Turin.”

“It’s alright,” she replied, motioning for him to join them.

Aaron came in and leaned against the long wooden counter opposite them. “What were you sneaking around down here for anyways?” chuckled Turin.

“I was hungry,” Aaron admitted.

“Oh of course you are! You and Turin have both been working so hard!” exclaimed Sabina. She hopped down off the table and moved to a loaf of bread. Taking a knife down off the wall she cut two large slices. “I’m afraid there’s nothing fresh, but we still have plenty of dried meat for soup.”

“No, the bread is fine,” said Aaron.

Sabina gave a slice to Turin and then handed the other to Aaron. He thanked her, and she smiled. It was one of the prettiest smiles Aaron had seen.

Sabina hoped back up onto the table and nestled against her brother again. The two young men ate in silence for a few moments, and Aaron found himself watching Sabina. Her long lashes were shadowing her eyes and she looked at the floor, and a thoughtful expression drew little lines in her brow. Her hands were folded loosely in her lap, and Aaron found himself wondering what those slender fingers would feel like entwined with his. Stop it, Aaron! He silently berated himself. Finding a pretty girl was not why you came here. There were plenty of those back home if you had wanted them.

None like Sabina, another part of him replied.

“Aaron, are you alright?” asked Turin.

Aaron jumped, a stab of fear shooting through him. Had he spoken out loud? “Why do you ask?”

“You looked like you were struggling with something,” said Turin.

Aaron shook his head and ran a hand over his eyes. “I’m just tired, and my mind is playing tricks on me.”

“How has it been?” asked Sabina, softly.

Aaron looked up at her in confusion. Can she read my thoughts?

“On the wall,” she added, in a low voice.

“Rough,” replied Aaron, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief. “We’ve taken a few causalities, but not many.”

“What are they doing?” sighed Sabina. “I wish they would just attack and get it over with.”

“They would lose too many men,” replied Aaron. “Right now we are trapped and we know it. Every one of those men and boys will sell their lives dearly, because with it they will sell the future of their families. It’s not a price the Empire is willing to pay.”

“Then why won’t they leave?” asked Sabina.

“They want our land,” replied Turin. “They won’t leave so easily.”

“Then what are they waiting for?” she almost shouted.

Aaron looked at Turin, letting his decide how much to tell his sister. Turin rubbed Sabina’s shoulder in silence for a few moments. Then, he turned to face her. “Sabina, they are trying to drive us to a point where we have lost all our fighting spirit. They are slowly braking us down before they attack. Every night they deprive our men of sleep and drive them to distraction with constant fear that tonight might be the night. Our food and water will start to run out, and our men will grow weaker. That is when they will attack.”

Aaron silently finished Turin’s unspoken words in his mind; attack and kill us all.

Sabina at least guessed the unspoken half, for her face went deathly pale. “Oh Turin, can’t we do something! Can’t we get out!”

“No Sabina, they have the city surrounded. The fall into their hands would be far worse then anything else,” her brother said.

“Is there no hope?” she whispered, tears filling her eyes.

Turin gently wiped the tears away with a thumb. “Of course there’s hope. God is with us, and if it is His will this city shall not fall into their hands.”

Sabina nodded and hugged Turin tightly, hiding her face against his shoulder. Aaron looked away. Oh Lord, please don’t let us fall! Please don’t let us fall!

Linus Smallprint
                                @linus-smallprint

@ellette-giselle

Ack! Awkward romantic moments!

See the mettle armor?

I think you mean ‘metal’ here. Good to see armour though, it always helps things feel more medieval.

So Aaron has managed to work his way up to the prince. I wonder where this will go, but I feel the prince may eventually become a Christian as well, though it could go the opposite direction.

In part two of the last section you shared, there is no mention of Aaron’s interaction with the prince.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 478 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >