The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 6,436 through 6,450 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 3144

@highscribeofaetherium

(and I hope y’all don’t mind me jumping in here :p)

That’s okay :-p

I’ve heard Tolkien didn’t like allegories. Here is a quote I’ve seen multiple times (correct me if it’s fake, I’ve just seen it often):

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned- with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the
      author.”

“Everything is a mountain”

RAE
      @rae
        • Total Posts: 3560

…and once again the German creates a conflict that she could have easily avoided if she just hadn’t opened up her mouth…

I’m tellin’ ya, Germans are the most annoying people on Earth!

“Gargoyles and thickets, griffins and briskets."

RAE
        @rae

@whalekeeper

Yeah, I’ve mostly run out of stuff to say too. I still have some fire left, but I believe this debate isn’t important enough to fan by embers…besides, knowing my track record, I’d probably say the wrong thing and start a wildfire…

whaley
          @whalekeeper
            • Total Posts: 3144

@rae

Sounds good with me, thanks for letting me run my mouth off lol

“Everything is a mountain”

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings
              • Total Posts: 2973

@whalekeeper

I gasped out loud when you said that 😮 Oh no… I’m so sorry I came off that way! I replied quickly because I had to leave for class, and didn’t think through what I sounded like.

It’s ok! I’m glad we got it cleared up lol.

Wingfeather is nostalgic for me in some ways, but I will never say it is a masterpiece of writing. It kind of single-handedly guided teens into writing allegorical worldbuilding, and allegories are probably the easiest genre to flunk. These teens are totally free to write them and they become better through practice. I think it isn’t the best choice of genre though if you’re to learn the complexities of arcs/motives/thematic assumptions, because adding a Creater makes it black and white.

Wingfeather is nostalgic for me to but I think it has a lot of issues. Like there are some scenes I like so much, but I’m not sure I’d still recommend the series to other people. Some of the themes are great but I wish they were written better and the plot was more cohesive. I know the publisher but the author on a time crunch though.

I’ve read secular novels where the world’s beauty is a huge part. They may not have a creater worldview, but they can’t help acknowledging a miracle of existence. The stones cry out.

totally.

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 4732

@mineralizedwritings yeah Wingfeather isn’t too cohesive, but in the author’s defense I’m pretty sure it was the first series he ever wrote, and I don’t know how many drafts the story went through.

I do love some of the worldbuilding though.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

freedom
                @freed_and_redeemed
                  • Total Posts: 658

@rae

I’m tellin’ ya, Germans are the most annoying people on Earth!

Germans are some amazing people on Earth😘

and it was a debate, not a conflict. :3 You did nothing wrong, and I loved your point!

Aragorn is NOT an Allegory of Christ, but he has qualities that could possibly resemble some of Christ’s. But those same qualities are qualities that one could find in almost any true heroic character. That doesn’t make them all allegories of Christ, because not only would that be untrue, it’d also be absurd to assume all heroes with those qualities are allegories of Christ.

What is strength?
                  Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

freedom
                  @freed_and_redeemed
                    • Total Posts: 658

and also…AHEM

@rae

I demand an update on you and all of your characters and stories😤

XD

I nEeD iT

What is strength?
                    Strength, my son, is being who God has called you to be.

RAE
                    @rae

@freed_and_redeemed

I demand an update on you and all of your characters and stories😤

Oh okay…

I’m starting rowing up again after labor Day. I’m only a novice, but I’m hoping to do some races! Not sure if I’ll be in a single, double, quad or eight yet, and whatever I’m placed in I will most likely be in for the rest of the season unless something doesn’t go right. I’m hoping for a double or a quad because eight is too many and I CANNOT for the life of me keep a single straight!

I started school, and despite my resolution not to make friends at my new CC community, one of my classmates named Andrew  is a lot of fun to talk and listen to. We also relate to each other in many ways and overwall, we get along nicely. I consider him a friend, but I’m not sure if it goes both ways. Other than that, I’m playing Symphony 5 in C major by Beethoven in piano and I’m wondering if this was wise.

I’m writing chapter 14 in Guardian Angels and I’m at 52k+ words. I actually posted a link to chapters 1-10 in a topic titled “help wanted” if you’re interested. I know you aren’t really into sci-fi so don’t feel obligated. The Secret Shame project is on hold, and I’m trying to write a short story called Heroes Among Us which follows Tomoko before he met Estelle. Otherwise, not much by way of stories.

I have to go so I’ll continue this later.

RAE
                      @rae

@freed_and_redeemed

Nahim’s raincloud has been clearing, but I’m afraid it will soon grow thick again. Mandin is Mandin, hasn’t change muh besides his annoyance at not knowing what to say to Nahim.

Alpha wants to punch something. Silvanis wants to go on some life-threatening adventure because he got bored for two seconds. Tenz and his twin have become a team. So, far, it’s going great. Reid went to a Fettian academy and used the lessons there as a base for teaching himself how to correctly use him powers. Even being so young, he’s one of the strongest Grath children, out-doing Silvanis and possibly even Dragotin. Tenz is still stronger, though. nice thing is I don’t have to worry too much about Tenz anymore because I know Reid will be there when he doesn’t know what something is or has a little tantrum.

And Chase…he’s…happy, I think. Last time I checked on him, he was genuinely smiling. Since then, I’ve kinda left him alone and actually stopped worrying for once. I’m gonna try to check on him later today, but I’m content.

Okay, I shared, now it’s your turn! How’s Riker and Leon?!

I keep wanting to ask how Fin is and then I realize he’s dead 😭😭😭

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@rae

I keep wanting to ask how Fin is and then I realize he’s dead

why is that unreasonably funny to me lol

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ellette Giselle
                          @ellette-giselle
                            • Total Posts: 1097

@keilah-h

What! That not funny! It’s sad!!

😭😭😭

lol

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Esther
                            @esther-c
                              • Total Posts: 3428

Anyone want to help me brainstorm one of my WIPs with me sometime this weekend? I’m kinda stuck.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Ellette Giselle
                              @ellette-giselle
                                • Total Posts: 1097

@esther-c

Sure! I’d love to help if I can!

Riker dropped his voice to a soft whisper. “…I’m home.”

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h

@ellette-giselle lol Fin being dead isn’t what’s funny, it’s just the way she said it, like “How’s he doing? Oh….wait….never mind.”

Viewing 15 posts - 6,436 through 6,450 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >