The Chat Chat

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 6,581 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 8156

@lightoverdarkness6. @godlyfantasy12. @mineralizedwritings. @gwyndalf-the-wise.

Sooo…I just had to share this small snippet from a scene I may share later today (If I get it finished, lol! 🤣🤣🤣) because I was just like: “Even HE gets it!!!” 😅😭💕😂

But anywho…here it is…a snippet from a scene I will try to share later today.

“I’m sure he understands though.”

Adolphus turned to face Wolfgang again. “I failed him.”

Wolfgang slowly nodded. He’d heard words like that before. “…Leo says that about us…” He whispered.

Adolphus laughed.

Wolfgang rose an eyebrow. He didn’t think saying you had failed somebody was very funny.

Adolphus raised an eyebrow. “Leo really says he failed you and the rest of your brothers?”

Wolfgang nodded. “All the time. I don’t know what he means though…”

Adolphus shook his head, staring straight ahead again. “Leo can’t be that blind.”

“What?” Wolfgang asked, still confused.

What was Adolphus talking about?

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2973

@freedomwriter76

Loved both of those!

Riker 😥

I don’t have enough background to get a full gist of the second one, but I like the first one! And wow, 75 pages? You go girl!!

"Than finish it... Because I'm with you till the end of the line." <3

Light
        @lightoverdarkness6
          • Total Posts: 1643

@freedomwriter76

Ahh LEO!!! Everyone sees that you HAVE NOT failed your brothers…except you 😭😅

I can’t wait to read the rest of it 😉!

#HugRikerSquad

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 8156

@mineralizedwritings. @lightoverdarkness6. Aww, thank y’all!!! 💕💕💕💕 Y’all are soooo sweet!!!

And yes!!! I’m SO HAPPY it’s gotten to 75 pages!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

And y’know…since y’all have already seen the scene with Leon and been so sweet…why don’t I go on ahead and share Riker’s part? 😁😉😏😜💕

Leon. Leon Wagner.

If Leon or his wife…if something happened to either of them…it would all be Riker’s fault. Riker’s fault for not listening to Leon’s pleas for help and mercy.

“I trust he’s doing well…Riker!”

Riker, leaning back against one of the bookshelves in Fin’s office, jumped at the sound of Hans yelling his voice.

Seated behind the mahogany desk, Fin smiled faintly at Riker and faced Hans again. “Riker is doing very well here. He’s helped me with much here. Does everything I ask him to do.”

Hans laughed. “Better than anything he did under me. I suppose you are more intimidating then, hmm?”

Fin nodded, pouring Hans another cup of drink. “I suppose you can say that if you choose to.”

Riker closed his eyes and turned away, but it didn’t do much to stop the smell from reaching him.

Thank goodness he was leaving tomorrow morning to see his wife and kids.

Fin handed Erich a cup as well, which Erich, who had come with Hans, took with a nod and smile.

Hans took a long sip of the amber liquid and faced Fin again. “Well, Fin, I also came here to…talk to you. We’ve heard rumors that more escape attempts at this camp have become successful in recent months, in that more prisoners have escaped than is normal.”

Fin slowly nodded, smile fading. “…They’re true rumors. In the past five months or so, more and more men and women in this camp have been escaping, and, well…I’m trying to work on it. But even with tighter security, more people have escaped.”

Hans murmured in agreement. “Maybe your security needs to be even tighter. It’s a shame, really, that so many people are able to escape this place. Think of the danger that these people could pose.”

Fin nodded. “A great danger, isn’t it, Hans?”

Hans nodded and smirked. “A grave danger.” He lifted his glass cup of alcohol. “A toast, then, to a more secure camp, what do you say, Fin?”

Fin smiled and held up his cup of water. “A toast.”

Their glasses clinked together, and they both drank.

Standing beside Riker, Erich leaned close. “This place…do you actually do well here?”

Riker slightly inched away, staying as far away from the smell as he could. “I do fine enough.”

Erich chuckled quietly and took a sip of alcohol. “I find that hard to believe. If you couldn’t handle interrogations, you certainly can’t handle working in this place. It’s the reason Hans transferred you over here, to toughen you, but I don’t think you’ll be able to handle this place.”

He already couldn’t handle this place.

Riker crossed his arms. “I’ve been through a lot more than you’ll ever know.”

Erich raised an amused eyebrow. “Is that so? Not anything that has toughened you, evidently. Face it, Riker, you’re soft. Too soft for this line of work, I might add.”

“And you think you’re so much better?”

Erich’s eyes narrowed, and he leaned closer, voice dropping to a whisper. “I don’t think I’m better, Riker, I know I’m better. And if you think that you can even compare yourself to me, you are sadly mistaken. Face it. You can’t handle this place.”

He absolutely couldn’t handle this place.

Riker uncrossed his arms, turning to Erich with a faint glare. “You don’t know what I can and can’t handle. You know nothing about me.”

“Braun! Schind! Did either of you even hear a word me and Fin just said…?” Hans growled; coal eyes narrowed.

Riker quickly faced Hans, taking in a deep breath to ease his rapid heartbeat. Riker’s gaze fell to his boots; a move he had practiced and used many times for many years.

“Sorry, sir.” Riker and Erich whispered in unison.

“You better be.” Hans snarled, and sighed, “Truly, Fin, it’s almost impossible to find good officers anymore. Although…now that Lieutenant Roberts was transferred over to a Stalag Luft, I believe Kurt and Hilda will be the only officers I will need…I can transfer Erich over here as well. He’d be much use to you. Much more use than that useless man.” Hans mused, nodding towards Riker.

Fin raised an eyebrow, smile fading again. “I suppose if that’s what you’d suggest.”

Hans nodded and stood. “It’s settled then. Once I fully have no more need of him, I’ll transfer Erich to this camp, and he can work under you. Braun, it’s time to go.”

Hans stood and went to the door without another word to Fin, not even a thank you.

Erich nodded, setting his cup down with Hans’. “Thank you, Fin, sir, for the drinks.”

Fin nodded. “You’re welcome.”

They exchanged goodbyes, but Riker didn’t listen and kept his head still down.

His fists clenched and unclenched at his sides, hands fighting back memories just as hard as his mind did.

“Yell at me one more time, boy, and I’ll give you a real reason to scream.”  

A door slammed closed, and Riker practically jumped out of his skin, gaze lifting fast.

Fin glanced at the door. “He didn’t have to slam it.” He muttered, putting a book back up on one of the dark oak, filled bookshelves. He turned to Riker with a small smile. “Ignore Hans, Riker. He knows nothing about you.”

Riker just shrugged. “Doesn’t bother me.”

Besides…Hans was right about him. Everyone had always been right about him.

“At least he’s gone now.” Fin said with a playful grin and wink.

“I suppose.” Riker replied quietly.

Fin’s grin faded. “Riker…are you…alright?”

Riker smiled a smile he didn’t feel and nodded. “I’m fine. Really, sir, I’m fine. Just…tired. And I have to leave in the morning to go see my wife and kids, so I better get to bed, if you don’t have anything else for me to do, that is, sir.”

Fin smiled faintly. Shook his head. “I have nothing else for you. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family.”

“Thank you, sir.” Riker whispered. Began to make his way to the door of Fin’s office.

“Oh, and Riker?”

Riker turned around. “Yessir?”

Fin smiled softly. “I’ll be praying for you.”

Riker nodded. “Thank you, sir.”

He opened the door and stepped out of Fin’s office and into the chilly May night.

Fin could pray all he wanted…it didn’t mean anything would change.

Riker had figured it out…bit by bit, time after time, mistake after mistake: God had nothing to do with Riker Schind.

Light
            @lightoverdarkness6
              • Total Posts: 1643

@freedomwriter76

Aww, thank y’all!!! 💕💕💕💕 Y’all are soooo sweet!!!

You’re so welcome!!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤

And yes!!! I’m SO HAPPY it’s gotten to 75 pages!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Yes!! Your hard work paid off!! 🙂

And y’know…since y’all have already seen the scene with Leon and been so sweet…why don’t I go on ahead and share Riker’s part? 😁😉😏😜💕

Yes please!! Thank you 😁😉❤!

OH RIKER!!!! Ughh you Precious BABY!!!! 😭😭😭❤❤❤💔💔💔 God does care about you!!

HANS 😡😤😡😤!!! YOU BETTER LEAVE RIKER ALONE!!!!!!!!

And sweet Fin!! Ugh 😭😭❤❤

Ahh girl!! You write the best scenes!!! 😊

#HugRikerSquad

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h
                • Total Posts: 4732

@godlyfantasy12 You’re welcome!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h

@sarafini Yep, same with me and the outlining. I can’t do it. I did once, for a story my dad and I are writing, and that wasn’t too bad, but for anything I write by myself I just go through with ideas I have in my head and discovery write the rest.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 692

@keilah-h

It’s so hard! I don’t know why. I don’t have enough mental energy to go around so I just avoid it. Although I do like planning my time and goals for writing. Lol

Anonymous

I’m supposed to outline for my writing class so that’s a bit rough. But it’s only 1 class every other month so I just get through it and then write my WIPs without an outline. 😉

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

@sarafini I can see that. I just write whenever my brother isn’t asking me to play with him….and sometimes when he is…..

Keilah H.
                        @keilah-h

@sarafini Yep, that happens. I’m not a class person–I took an IEW class once and found I wasn’t a fan. But a creative writing class that was somewhat spontaneous, I liked a bit better, so….

Otherworldly Historian
                          @otherworldlyhistorian
                            • Total Posts: 229

@sarafini

High fantasy is basically the same as high sci-fi. The line dividing them is super thin. Ultimately there are a few main types of fantasies. There are the ones that have a high level of magic and mystical creatures and stuff like that. Examples of these would be stuff like @godlyfantasy12‘s WIP and LOTR. But not all fantasies have a bunch of fictional species or a whimsical feeling. Some can feel more like historical or dystopian worlds. They usually still have magic or may have stuff like dragons or weird creatures. They may defy the laws of physics and science may be twisted around a bit. These are still fantasy they are just a different type. I would say that my WIP is more like this. These types of fantasies are where you really see the fantasy sci-fi line blur.

Coming up with ideas your best bet is probably to immerse yourself in the genre. I would also suggest looking at fantasy art from fantasy tv shows, video games, hobby games, tyrpgs, and movies (be carful though this is true with anything when looking up images on the internet). Sci-fi stuff can also help. I would also advise pulling from history or the bible for ideas in terms of plot and stuff.

In terms if naming @godlyfantasy12’s suggestion of using name generators is a good idea. Also it can be good to establish a naming culture. You can do this by linking names or sounds or letters to your world (ie characters from one of my countries commonly have ier in their names).

Through darkness,
                            light shines brightest

Anonymous

@otherworldlyhistorian

I may just have fantasy names and stick with Sci-if type stuff then. That way I can call it both. Lol. I don’t want to add magic but I do like messing with Science and gravity law stuff. I’m dabbeling with dystopian writing. I kinda like the idea of having bad guys use Science to create things like robots or living plants (which literally just came to mind for some reason 🤭). I also like doing rich characters in a kingdom which is usually called fantasy. 🤷‍♀️ I don’t care much for the magic kind of stuff and I’m not good at creating species. I have a tough enough time coming up with names for my world/places. Lol. Literally my city is called Paradise City and my country is named Pleasant Country. Not very original at all but they are my titles so… 😜

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

@otherworldlyhistorian Does a Star Wars fanfiction where all the characters are half-dragon count as high fantasy? Just a really weird question, because it seems like it fits the description.

Esther
                                @esther-c
                                  • Total Posts: 3428

@godlyfantasy12

I get that, girl! (I’m a plantser 🙂 ). I can’t fully relate because I do have drafts; but I sometimes edit as I go, so I technically don’t have a number of drafts.

Everyone’s writing process is unique! 🙂

@freedomwriter76

That scene was written really well!! What I’ve noticed from reading small snippets of your writing is that you’re really good at dialogue! Great job!! 😄

@sarafini

I’ve done fantasy before!

As for creating characters… well… I’m not quite sure. I just create them how I would any character, so follow your process. When it comes to names, I look up names. Go for unique ones. If you like a name but it sounds too normal, change the spelling. Or look up fantasy names! That always works!

If have anymore questions on writing fantasy, I’m sure me and all the other awesome fantasy writers on KP will be willing to help!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 6,581 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >