More than one question about writing an allegorical series

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions More than one question about writing an allegorical series

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
      • Total Posts: 229

So here’s the story.
      ~I wrote a book. I was probably eleven. And it was great when I was eleven– I was certain it was going to be the best piece of literature the world had ever seen, so…
      ~I wrote three more books about the same characters and made it a series.
      ~I turned thirteen. (I mean, I turned twelve, too, in between, but it just didn’t seem relevant.)
      ~I realized that my tastes had changed so…
      ~I rewrote all four books, finishing by the time I was about fifteen.
      ~Approximately one year passed.
      ~Shockingly, I now feel that the first book needs another rewrite. (Please tell me I’m not the only one who experiences this! Does anyone else hate your novels a year after you finish them?)
      Notes: When I wrote the series the second time, each book is in third person, and I don’t think I could change that. However, first person is really my strength, and book 1 could be told in first person.

So that’s the story. Here’s QUESTION #1 (dramatic music playing): Can you write one book in a series in first person, and the others in third person? I’m pretty sure the answer is no, so I’ll have to just be brave and try third person, but to me, first person is so much more engaging. It’s easier for me to be the character when I’m writing in first person. Is there any way I could pull that off?

Question #2: It is fantasy/allegory, like almost everything else I write. But I need a non-clichΓ© way to depict the allegory. Last time I wrote this story, it was basically the exact story of Jesus with no changes only in another world… he was a carpenter, he died on a cross, etc. But I’m trying to think of a different way to depict Jesus and his story that is true but not clichΓ©. (Too bad C.S. Lewis already used the lion… *sigh*)
      Hope someone can help me with this! The struggle is real.

YA Fantasy Writer
      Obsessive Character Namer
      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Ingrid
      @ingridrd
        • Total Posts: 830

@his-instrument
        Great questions…
        I think before I attempt to answer the first one, I need to know: would the stories be told from the same character’s point of view throughout the whole series? Or would you have the first book in third person told from character 1’s point of view, and the next book told in first person from character 2’s point of view? (I hope that makes sense.) πŸ˜‰
        If you’re thinking what I said above, I suppose that could work; you would just have to make sure the reader knew who the narrator was.
        However, if you are thinking that you want to have the same narrator throughout the whole series, but switch from third person to first after book one…well, I’ve never read a series that has done that, so you be the first, Hannah!
        Honestly, if I were the reader, reading your books, I think I would be confused about the switch from third to first person. That’s just me so it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it, but…let’s wait for some more responses. πŸ™‚
        Thoughts on the first question? @anyone-else

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Greta
        @gretald
          • Total Posts: 450

@his-instrument *blows out breath* Oh, man. I don’t think you always have to use the same POV in every novel in a series. But I don’t see a reason why you wouldn’t…if that makes sense. I think using the same POV in a series of novels makes the series more cohesive.
          I agree with you about first person, by the way. It’s always been easier for me to write in first person. When I write in first person, it’s easier for me to get into the head of the character. Of course, there are downsides to it, as well, but overall, it works for me pretty well. πŸ™‚
          As for the allegory…hmm, that’s tough. Is the story of Jesus the central plot or a side plot? I don’t think it’s bad to write the story of Jesus the way you wrote (with no changes) if it’s not the central plot.

Hope Ann
          @hope
            • Total Posts: 1092

@his-instrument Yes! I’ve done that. Well, the writing and rewriting and rewriting. I’ve one book I’m working on that I wrote four years ago. Then I doubled the length, then I rewrote quite a bit of it. And now I’m reworking it again… And I’m not even going to mention another book I wrote last year which I’ve revised a few times and have now come to the conclusion that I’ll probably have to rewrite the whole thing.

Moving on. I’ve seen a book that switches from third person to first person half way through when the character realizes who she really is, but I’ve not seen a switch from first to third person. There’d have to be a reason for the change; like another character telling the story.

Allegory! I love allegory. The story of Jesus is quite often told as a Prince who is among His people, though few recognize or even know He’s the Prince. Perhaps he’s a man who appeared in town one day and started teaching and helping. Are there talking animals? There are numbers of fantasy animals you could possibly use…like a griffin? Or do you want him to be a person?

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

A wise lamb who has the characteristic of disappearing at strange times and reappearing at even more strange times. How ’bout that???

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@His-Instrument Jesus was many things. Homeless. Outcast. Pilgrim. Teacher. Servant. Healer. You could develop Him as any of those, instead of carpenter.

And as for the first question, I’ve never read a series like that, but I certainly don’t think it couldn’t be done. There are no ‘rules’ in fiction writing— more like guidelines. Understand the rules before you break them, but don’t be afraid to break them once you’re sure you understand them and you’re sure you can pull it off brilliantly. πŸ˜‰

Adry_Grace
                @adry_grace
                  • Total Posts: 169

@his-instrument

For the first question. I’ve seen an author use the first person point of view for the MC, and the second for two other different characters besides the MC all in the same book. So totally. Go for it. I think having mutliple points of view can actually help better tell the story, if done correctly.

For the second question, I’d just echo the list Kate gave. Adding: Brother, protector, Savior, Son (of Mary as well as God.) Bridegroom. Sheperd.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Adry_Grace.
                  Hannah R.
                  @his-instrument
                    • Total Posts: 229

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! In answer to your questions:

@ingridrd
                    , the original way I wrote the series was that every book was in third person, and different groups of characters were in different places doing different things but all a part of the same story (think Lord of the Rings… love your profile pic, by the way!) But book 1 focused on only one group of characters, with one main character. The other stories are more like Narnia where there is no main character, but several leading protagonists, which is why I don’t think I could ever tell those from first person.

@gretald
                    , the allegory is not the main plot, so I might stick with the same thing as before… although I’m thinking maybe of using a potter rather than a carpenter, since that’s more subtle. I like everyone else’s ideas though. Especially the shepherd one. (Has anyone ever read Hinds’ Feet in High Places? I haven’t finished it yet but it’s pretty cool allegory.) And of course there are ways to use Jesus-as-a-Prince subtly, too, and in original ways.

@daeus
                    , I love the idea bout the lamb! I don’t think it would work for this story but I may use it in the future. (AGHHH! THERE ARE SO MANY NOVELS I WANT TO WRITE BUT I DON’T HAVE TIME!!!)
                    I’ll give it a little more thought, to see if I can come up with a really good reason why I should use first person in this novel, and if I can’t, I’ll just take a deep breath and write in third person. (I went through a first person phase, then a third person phase, and now I’m back in first…)
                    Once again, thank you all, and if anyone else still wants to comment I would welcome it.

YA Fantasy Writer
                    Obsessive Character Namer
                    Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >