Mercy Killings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

@kate-flournoy I’m not sure. Could you just post the link and I’ll see if I can try to figure it out?

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Sure— but hang on, I think I may have figured it out. Here goes @Daeus: green alien

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

YES!!!!! SUCCESS!!

Daeus
          @daeus

Well … that’s an … interesting … role model.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

Isn’t it, though? πŸ˜€

BlueJay
              @bluejay
                • Total Posts: 1622

We need to have a doctor on staff when Tessa’s asleep and I’m not qualified.

It’s weird to have someone write that you’re asleep. Anyway I’m here. Definitely green. But only the alien will stay green @daeus. It is quite normal, although I think @kate-flournoy to it to another level, for someone to turn green when sick with shock. So @hope, you need to lessen the shock for poor Kate. There, the doctor has spoken. *retires back to bed*

BlueJay
                @bluejay
                  • Total Posts: 1622

BTW @kate-flournoy, is that video clip from a short??? Cause I think I’ve seen it and it was soooo good. πŸ˜€

Kate Flournoy
                  @kate-flournoy

Yes it is, @bluejay— Pixar’s ‘Lifted’. It’s absolutely hysterical.

Hope Ann
                    @hope
                      • Total Posts: 1092

Don’t turn green yet, @kate-flournoy. E doesn’t kill D. That would simply be too tragic (as if what I have in store isn’t) and it doesn’t go with the plot line. But I may use this dilemma in my seven book series I’m planning. Whenever I get a good idea and I don’t know where to put it, I stash it over in my seven book series. I’ll have more material than I know what to do with when I get to it.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Hope Ann
                      @hope

And I love the video clip…that short was hilarious. πŸ˜‰

Hope Ann
                        @hope

And now for the weighter topics.

I agree with you, @Daeus, about never being sure what will happen. I read a book where a man was going to be starved to death. His wife had the plague, or something like that, so she came to see him, knowing she was contagious and figuring he’d die quickly that way. He did die a day or two later, but around the same time there was a revolt and the prisoners were freed. He’d not have died if it hadn’t been for his wife. Ironically, she survived, and she had to live with what she did.

There is a verse…I can’t remember where, about God giving us strength for every temptation. Now, this covers at least moral temptations, and I’d have to look at the Greek word, but I think this would also be a source of strength even under torture; that God will give us strength to bear what needs to be born.

Now, of course, if the character isn’t a Christian, his thoughts would be completely different and, without that inner strength, he might picture death as the only safe way out.

And…there’s been some mentions of suicide missions. There’s two kinds, I think. The first is where you go to do something (assassination, if you want to add in another controversial topic) and you know you’ll be killed as soon as you reveal yourself to complete the mission, but you go through with it anyway. This, I think, is fine because you’re not taking your own life, even though you fully expect death and are willing to give your life to complete the mission.

The second kind is when someone does something which kills himself as well as others. In some cases, I don’t think it’s wrong…crashing planes steering for an enemy ship instead of for the water; you’re about to die either way. But when it comes to strapping a bomb to yourself, even if it is for the somewhat arbitrary ‘greater good’ the case gets more murky, if not downright dark.

Adry_Grace
                          @adry_grace
                            • Total Posts: 169

@hope I’m not quite sure there’s much to add to that, as I pretty much agree. I think what would (for me) be controversial about suicide mission (aside from the idea of strapping a bomb to yourself) is the intentions behind it. To have pure intentions, to save people, to achieve justice, to bring down evil. That is a mission I would fully support, whether the person knew it was a suicide mission in advance or not.

However if someone were to approach the mission as a way to “redeem” themselves or as a noble way to commit suicide then it is no longer a heroic or noble act, but instead a selfish one and thus sinful.

(And if you want to bring up assassination, I think the ONLY time an assassination could EVER be somewhat justified is if it were the only way to bring down whatever evil has been set up. The Bible says a life for a life, but death penalty is something only government should be able to carry out and that through a fair and just trial set to the standards of the law.)

Man, Hope. You sure are making me think hard today!

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Hope phewfk… that would just kill me.

Good example from Lysbeth— I hadn’t remembered that. And I agree one hundred percent with your conclusions.

Which sadly means this topic is nearing its demise.

Noooooo!!!!!! Someone do something! *hysterical panting* I don’t want to stop talking about deep things!!!

Adry_Grace
                              @adry_grace
                                • Total Posts: 169

@kate-flournoy DONT WORRY IVE GOT SOMETHING!! Idk how long it will last, BUT it will do until someone comes up with something better.
                                While we’re on the topic of risking one’s life, I have a debate tomorrow about whether it worth risking your life to save cultural and artistic achievements from destruction or theft. For me personally, this is hard to say an absolute yes or no too, so I think this should make a interesting conversation. (hopefully)

WARNING: anything you say is liable to be quoted in the previously mentioned debate.

Daeus
                                @daeus

@adry_grace Well, first of all, I don’t think risking one’s life is wrong. I do however thing that it could be a devaluing of one’s life. For instance, if I risk almost certain death to rescue a famous painting, that painting had better have some phenomenal value (and I don’t mean monetary or sentimental value). The Mona Lisa is worth millions, but a person is worth more than that. I might risk my life for the Mona Lisa if the chances of death were low, but if death were almost certain, I would consider that a devaluing of the life I have been given. This might be different though if we were considering a different work. For instance, let’s say I was alive during the time of John Bunyan and the only existing copy of Pilgrim’s Progress had just been stolen by the most horribly terrible villain ever born. Now let’s assume I somehow knew the impact that this book would have (which I couldn’t, but let’s say the circumstances were different and I was fairly certain it would have a WAY larger impact than I could ever hope to have in the world). If I knew that, I would (at least in principle) try to save the book. That is because I would consider the value of that book to be immeasurable.

🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >