Discernment

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Linus Smallprint
    @linus-smallprint
      • Total Posts: 401

@theshadow

Thanks for the steps, I will use them while discerning, especially number 2. My book idea is one that is set in the middle ages, and originally it was to be set during the Black Death. Over time, however, I think this might be the thing I was stressing over. I was convicted over how dark that time period was, and how I might not be ready to write something like that, so I’m planning on researching a different time in the middle ages for the story. When I begin writing the story, I will post the chapters on KP. Thanks again!

Okay. There are times to make ourselves deal with things we aren’t comfortable with, but I would not say this is one of them. If you feel better using a different time in the Middle Ages, then go for it. Tag me when you post some chapters! (And hopefully, I will have time to read and give feedback.)

Linus Smallprint
      @linus-smallprint

@theshadow

Thanks for the steps, I will use them while discerning, especially number 2. My book idea is one that is set in the middle ages, and originally it was to be set during the Black Death. Over time, however, I think this might be the thing I was stressing over. I was convicted over how dark that time period was, and how I might not be ready to write something like that, so I’m planning on researching a different time in the middle ages for the story. When I begin writing the story, I will post the chapters on KP. Thanks again!

Okay. I would say in this case just use that other time in the Middle Ages. Let me know when you start posting chapters! (And hopefully, I will have enough time to read them and give feedback.)

TheShadow
        @theshadow
          • Total Posts: 306

@loopylin

I think your right about the anxiety being dangerous, and thank you! I will tag you when I post the first chapter soon.

@linus-smallprint

I will, thank you!

"No! Monkeys should have pets, all monkeys should have pets!"

whaley
          @whalekeeper
            • Total Posts: 3147

@freed_and_redeemed

(and just so you know, your fun little comedic WIP is amazing and still has wonderful characters and amazing lessons and values within it even though it’s ‘just for fun’ 😉🥰)

Thank you, I hope to give it some meaning :]

@linus-smallprint

I’m sorry for being kind of sarcastic, I was very moody at the time of writing that post.

Thank you for your clarification! My main reasons for concern are now gone.

I’m glad that is the case :]

And you know what? After reading through your argument, you are having me rethink my own position on this. I think you do raise some good points, such as overthinking whether or not we are including God enough in our stories. I don’t know if I agree with you entirely, I will need to think through this some more, but you do have me partially convinced. Thank you for sharing more of your side!

You also have a point about including more God in everyday life. I tend to fall into tunnel vision or divided over-stimulation, and consciously including too much importance (i.e. God) in a story sends me into one of those categories, so I prefer to keep stories in their own little box of importance. Other people such as yourself might not have a problem with this. This probably has a lot to do with the person.

Funny how everything we write is a self-portrait of who we are and what we believe.

That’s very true. Personally I find the strongest self-portrait characters don’t seem like their authors to their authors, or at least until they discover the why of the story. Last week, someone said something about me, and I realized it was the core of my MC’s fear. And it was extremely subtle. Now I’m questioning all of my decisions, and learning more about myself – which is honestly one of the biggest reasons people write. They write either to learn about themselves, or about something else… not to teach. To learn.

“Everything is a mountain”

Linus Smallprint
            @linus-smallprint

@whalekeeper

I’m sorry for being kind of sarcastic, I was very moody at the time of writing that post.

I forgive you. I feel I was being a bit harsh in my initial response as well.

You also have a point about including more God in everyday life. I tend to fall into tunnel vision or divided over-stimulation, and consciously including too much importance (i.e. God) in a story sends me into one of those categories, so I prefer to keep stories in their own little box of importance. Other people such as yourself might not have a problem with this. This probably has a lot to do with the person.

I see.

That’s very true. Personally I find the strongest self-portrait characters don’t seem like their authors to their authors, or at least until they discover the why of the story. Last week, someone said something about me, and I realized it was the core of my MC’s fear. And it was extremely subtle. Now I’m questioning all of my decisions, and learning more about myself – which is honestly one of the biggest reasons people write. They write either to learn about themselves, or about something else… not to teach. To learn.

Ha ha. I know this feeling. I was developing one character and realized I made him into a version of myself that had my biggest flaws emphasized. Now I got to learn some lessons for myself so that the character can learn them. But then, as we learn from our characters, we can help others with the same struggles latter on (even if not in our stories).

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >