Apologetics

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 399 total)
  • Author
    Folith-Feolin
    @folith-feolin
      • Total Posts: 311

@thearcaneaxiom

🤦‍♂️

I just realize that KP are my post. (Note I made this post a couple of month ago)

It’s funny I was just thinking about you the other day. As for life most of my recent weeks have been absorbed by the production of Hunchback of Notre Dame musical I am a part of. (On a side note the hunchback cast album is amazing and I highly recommend it if you need something to listen to)

I am also busy preparing for GSMUN (the model UN conference my school puts on) and learning CAD and 3D modeling (Fusion 360 and Blender respectively)

How has life been on your side of the screen?

Since I watched 4+ hours of David Alexander videos and wrote up a large response (which was apparently eaten by kp a couple months ago) I will have to try make a new response I think. (I have a couple of questions and remarks but the videos were helpful in answering a lot of them)

Most of my remaining questions range from some interesting points to some big-ish things so how much debate ish stuff are you looking for?

(I also probably won’t be able to respond until sometime in august though because my production is entering tech week next week and I have a big paper due for gsmun soon)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Folith-Feolin. Reason: Added tag
      TheArcaneAxiom
      @thearcaneaxiom
        • Total Posts: 1299

@folith-feolin

Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened, it’s so annoying when KP does that😅

That’s cool, I’ll have to look into that! Is it sung in French? Because that would be cool to listen to.

3D modeling sounds really cool, I’ve always wanted to get into it myself, but have always been too worried about crashing my computer. Are you required to learn some basics on topology while getting into it, or is it purely intuitive?

My side has been fun, been attending a couple summer camps. I just got back from one yesterday actually, an FSY conference (For the Strength of Youth). A camp organized by my Church to basically learn everything about the Gospel and to strengthen the youths testimonies of the Savior.

I’ve also been job hunting, and preparing for my Mission.

Cool! Yeah, I don’t have too much of a preference on how in depth you get into it. I’m more simply curious on your thoughts as a whole, but any level of depth I’m more than happy to get into, so however much your able and wanting to talk about is perfect. Also, did you listen to the other sermons I sent? Nelson’s I just like, and brings a good spirit I feel, but Wilcox’s I think specifically clarifies many specific points regarding our beliefs in faith vs works.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1555

Interesting thread here. I did not read through all of these conversations (‘Cause y’all, 11 pages of discussion sure ain’t short enough for one afternoon.), But interesting all the same.

God bless!

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

Folith-Feolin
          @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

I did listen to some of the other ones I think Nelson’s one about needing to be respectful to others made a lot of sense and I could totally agree with it.

The musical is not sung in French although it does include a lot of singing in Latin to evoke that Cathedral feel. I recently learned that apparently the Latin pronunciation used for singing is different from the type that you generally learn in Latin class (I have taken 3 years of Latin going on 4). So it has been fun learning about singing that. I will say if you understand the Latin being sang it makes the songs way deeper.

I currently use a windows 10 computer from like 2017 so I don’t think it will crash your computer. Although I’m planning on upgrading to a 2020 MacBook soon for better performance. Blender is a free software that’s open source and is for 3D modeling and fusion 360 is for CAD and CAM. If you are still in school (College or High-school) you can get a free educational licensee for fusion which allows you to use it for free (otherwise it’s like $300 a year).

Also if you want to get into 3D printing I would recommend getting a  Ender 3 V2 filament printer they are pretty self explanatory and good priced for a printer (although still about $200 on Amazon).

Here’s the soundtrack on YouTube if you want it (this is from the of broadway show a while back) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vT36E1rGgg0

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

Yeah, Nelson’s I just like sharing, it’s a topic that I don’t really think needs to be extrapolated any further, it simply needs to be known.

That’s really interesting, is that actually how it was historically? Did that actually serve any purpose to pronounce words differently when sung? Now I’m just thinking of worldbuilding ideas from that😅

Thanks for the pointers! I’ll look into blender then, I have been really curious about what I could do with it, and it would help greatly in visualizing many mathematical structures of interest, as well as things for my worldbuilding.

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Folith-Feolin
              @folith-feolin

@thearcaneaxiom

So if I remember correctly from what are music director said then the Latin is sung differently because the Latin that you learn and speak in Latin classes is Classical Latin (what the Roman’s spoke in) whereas the type of Latin that you generally sing is Church Latin (what the Catholic Church uses)

TheArcaneAxiom
                @thearcaneaxiom

@folith-feolin

Interesting, that makes a lot of sense. So it was basically a different dialect of Latin from a different era.

TheArcaneAxiom
                  @thearcaneaxiom

🙃😑

TheArcaneAxiom
                    @thearcaneaxiom

@anyone

I would like to revive this forum. Something that I have wondered about for a while now has to do with the necessity of the holly ghost in the trinity. I myself am non-trinitarian, but I was curious on what any of y’alls thoughts were on it if you have any.

Sara
                      @savannah_grace2009
                        • Total Posts: 2535

@thearcaneaxiom

Wait…you don’t believe in the trinity?

Lukas&Livia
                        #Lalbert
                        Sef&Chase
                        #HOTTOLINE
                        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Trailblazer
                        @trailblazer
                          • Total Posts: 648

@thearcaneaxiom

I’m not well versed in apologetics (I’ve done some study on it a long time ago, but nothing very recent), but I’m going to at least try to explain a little bit of my perspective in answer to your question. I know there are different opinions out there, and I’m not here to start an argument, but I don’t mind having healthy dialogue about things like this. I think it’s a good thing to share different perspectives and listen and try to understand without attacking the other person.

I don’t really know what your background is, but for me, I believe the purpose of the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost, I’m not gonna be picky about which one you use. I grew up saying Holy Spirit so that’s what comes naturally to me) is to guide and counsel us as Christians to be able to make good decisions as we follow Christ, and convict us when we sin. John 16 talks about that, if you want a reference to look up.

I know this discussion will probably get deeper but I’ll leave you with this for now. Feel free to ask questions, and I’d love to hear some of your perspective as well!

"Real love is for your good, not for your comfort." -Justin Whitmel Earley

TheArcaneAxiom
                          @thearcaneaxiom

@savannah_grace2009

Yeah, I’m a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and we believe that Heavenly Father, the Holy Ghost, and Jesus Christ are three distinct beings, though they are indeed one in purpose. (Please don’t burn me at the stake😅)

@trailblazer

Yeah, absolutely, that’s the mentality that I strive for in conversation. I really enjoy good open discussions, I’ve leveled to augments before, but that usually ends with frustration for both parties, because it never feels like the other is being heard.

On your explanation, I guess I didn’t really explain my question very well. I agree with your statement 100%(On whether to call it Holy Ghost or Spirit, I’ve used both). Being someone that thinks of the Holy Spirit and Heavenly Father as two individuals, it makes sense to me that they serve their respective purposes. However with a Trinitarian cosmology, I find myself confused. While I disagree with it, the belief that Christ and Heavenly Father are the same individual works to an extent (I have objections, but I’m not going to voice them here unless prodded, I’ve already voiced them before on this forum and others.), because you can see that both are needed as separate stewardships, one on earth, and one in Heaven. The issue I have with the Holy Ghost specifically in regards to the trinity is the question of why is the Holy Spirit regarded as different from Heavenly Father? Heavenly Father in Trinitarian cosmology is the timeless unknowable entity, so why make a separate stewardship when it’s already what Heavenly Father does. It makes sense that Christ would be regarded as a separate entity, but why the Holy Ghost?

Trailblazer
                            @trailblazer

@thearcaneaxiom

Ok, I think I see your question better now. That is a tough one to answer; my best attempt at an explanation might not be a satisfactory answer, but at least it’s how I think about it.

So the Father sent Jesus to the earth; Jesus was the representation of the Father. He did nothing unless He first saw the Father doing it; after His death on the cross and resurrection, our relationship to the Father was restored, but when Jesus went back to Heaven the Holy Spirit was sent in His place. Basically the roles are just different- the Holy Spirit is with us to equip us to do things we couldn’t do on our own, and the Father is in Heaven but also speaks to us through the Holy Spirit.

Again, idk if that really answers your question, but it’s what makes sense in my head.

TheArcaneAxiom
                              @thearcaneaxiom

@trailblazer

Yeah, I see what your getting at. It’s a reasonable enough explanation. Where your saying Christ and the Holy Spirit swapped places, and the Holy Spirit is the aspect of God that is enveloping the Earth.

So the Holy Ghost is specifically the spirit of Jesus Christ, while still being the same spirit as the Father in a grander sense, it is specifically Christ’s on a local level, whereas Heavenly Father is constantly present in Heaven/everywhere. is that about right? If so, then that is a working mechanical structure that implies a perhaps not entirely necessary as far as I see it, but still meaningful distinction between The Holy Spirit and Heavenly Father.

Thanks for explaining!

Trailblazer
                                @trailblazer

@thearcaneaxiom

Yes, that’s pretty close what I’m getting at, in a nutshell.

I’ve also heard the trinity explained this way: we know that water is a liquid, but changes forms to be either ice or steam when frozen or heated. It’s the same thing, but in three different forms. That’s how I see the trinity- three different manifestations of God. He can choose to show us one of those forms depending on what we need or what needs to be accomplished on the earth.

I don’t know if we’ll ever be able to fully understand why God chooses to reveal Himself this way, at least until we get to Heaven, but I’m okay with not fully knowing why right now.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 399 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >