Interested in writing, creating a film, or a podcast for Kingdom Pen? We welcome your potential submission! Please take a few minutes to read over the entirety of our submissions guidelines below before you submit. If you have any questions or if you are ready to submit, email us at email@example.com and we’ll review your submission and reply as soon as possible.
(Please feel welcome to copy and/or print these guidelines for your referencing convenience).
Kingdom Pen Writing Submission Guidelines
Kingdom Pen Statement of Faith
Kingdom Pen is a Christian magazine dedicated to the glory of Christ. We are an organization of conviction, and we hold certain truths to be universal:
- We believe in one righteous, wise, omnipotent, eternal, and holy God who exists in three eternal and distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, all of whom are equal in power and glory. (Deut. 6:4; Isaiah 45:5, 57:15; 32:17; Matt. 3:17, 28:19; Acts 5:9; 1 John 2:22–23; Rev. 4:8)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God himself, who, while remaining fully God, became incarnated as fully man, (henceforth having two distinct natures in one person), lived a sinless life on earth, suffered and died on the cross for our sins, was physically resurrected on the third day, and afterward ascended into heaven. (1 Cor. 15:1–4; Phil. 2:5–11; Col. 2:9; 1 Tim. 3:15; Heb 1:5–13)
- We believe that all men have fallen short of God’s standard and will eternally receive God’s wrath unless they turn to Jesus Christ, confess their sin, and believe he atoned for them. We believe that salvation comes by grace, and that all who believe on Christ through faith will be physically raised up from the dead on the last day and reign with Christ forever in glory. (John 3:16; 3:23, 6:23; 1 Cor. 15:1–4; Ephesians 2:8–9)
- We believe that the Bible is the only infallible Word of God, divinely inspired by God himself, and authoritative for life and practice. (2 Tim. 3:16–17; 2 Peter 1:20–21)
Beyond these limits, we respect your freedom of belief in the finer elements of faith, and we do not expect to agree with every detail of each submission we publish. We cannot publish anything that we feel to be a lie, morally reprehensible, or harmful to the cause of the gospel, but we will not refuse a submission based on a difference of opinion, whether concerning doctrine, politics, lifestyle, or individual freedom of speech. We ask that you respect our beliefs in return and do not attempt to submit material that is potentially contrary to the above statements.
Kingdom Pen Publication Policy
Kingdom Pen is a Christian magazine owned and operated by Christians with the direct purpose and directive of bringing glory to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Because of this, we will not publish anything that we believe contradicts our statement of faith (include link here). Beyond this, we will not refuse a submission based on differences of opinion among believers.
Kingdom Pen retains the right to reject or decline for publication any material submitted for consideration at any time during the review process for any reason, including nonconformity to Kingdom Pen’s submission and formatting guidelines. All material submitted is subject to use by Kingdom Pen Magazine, and by submitting you consent to have your material published on the website under the following terms:
- Kingdom Pen will not share your material with any third party or use it for any extra-typical purposes without your prior written consent. Writing that is good enough may be included in a free top ten posts of the year eBook that we put out at the end of each year.
- Authors retain full rights to their submitted material, and also retain the right to seek further or separate publication of aforementioned material 90 days after the release of the material on the website. Until the 90 days have elapsed, authors agree to grant Kingdom Pen exclusive use of the submitted material.
- Once published, authors do not have the right to demand removal of published material from either the magazine or the website until 90 days after publication. Authors may submit email requests to be considered on an individual basis.
Submit your material to Kingdom Pen via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in the following format. Submissions not adhering to this format will not be eligible for publication.
All submitted material, regardless of nature or type, must conform to the following requirements in order to be eligible for publication, in addition to being formatted in coherence with Kingdom Pen’s formatting guidelines (please see below).
- All material must be the original creation of the submitting author.
- All material submitted must be previously unpublished in any form in any medium (including but not limited to: other magazines, websites, blogs, etc.) in order to be eligible for publication.
- All material should follow the specific guidelines relevant for the type of material they’re writing (see below).
All material submission to Kingdom Pen, regardless of nature or type, must conform to the following guidelines in order to be eligible for publication in addition to conforming the Material Qualifications as listed above.
- All submissions must be written in English, either American or British/Canadian.
- All submissions must be submitted by email in clean-draft files with as few typos and careless errors as humanly possible. A typo will not disqualify a submission from publication, but Kingdom Pen feels that numerous such careless errors in a submitted draft reflect a disrespect for quality writing and will disqualify a submission for such.
- All submissions must be submitted in Microsoft Word files. Kingdom Pen does not accept Macintosh exclusive files. If Microsoft Word is not available to you, please contact Kingdom Pen and we will work with you to make arrangements for you to submit your material in some other way.
- Format all submissions in Times New Romanfont, at 12pt text size. Left-justify all text and use italics for all words of emphasis.
- Type the title of your submission at the top of the page in bold text, with your publishing name typed directly below it. Skip a space, and then begin your material.
- Save your file under the following title format: your last name/comma/your first name/hyphen/the title of your material (example: Miller, John – Evening Tales)
- In the subject line of your email, write what type of submission you are submitting (such as article, short story, or poem, for example), followed by a comma and then “KP Submission” (example: Article, KP Submission). If you are submitting more than one piece of material, include the type of the additional material in the subject line as well unless it is the same type as your first piece (such as: Article, Short Story, KP Submission).
Kingdom Pen is a Christian magazine dedicated to the glory of Christ, and as such we place certain strict content restrictions on what we allow to be published in our magazine. No material of any type will be eligible or considered for publication if any of the following content is present within the material.
- Intense, gory, or sexual violence.
- Inappropriate sexual references.
- Any language, terms, or phrases that are profane, offensive, or blasphemous.
If you have any doubts about the content in your work and whether or not it meets these guidelines, please email us at email@example.com with a detailed explanation of the content in your material or an excerpt from your material and we will notify you as to whether it meets your restrictions. Please do not email us regarding content usage unless you are in doubt as to whether yours exceeds the guidelines. Our content restrictions are not open to negotiation.
Biography and Portrait
Kingdom Pen publishes a short biography of each of our authors below their content along with a portrait photograph. The biographies are written by the authors. Please submit the following with your submission.
- A biography written in third person of between 75 and 150 words in length. This can include basic information such as your age, your experience in writing, your faith, your family life, things you enjoy doing besides writing, etc. You may include a general location, but any specific location address will be edited out. Authors may also optionally include an email address in their biography if they are interested in direct feedback from our subscribers concerning their published material.
Sarah Smith is seventeen and lives with her parents, five siblings and three horses on a small hobby farm in western Montana. She’s been writing since the age of nine and has developed a specific interest in westerns, historical fiction and nonfiction newspaper writing for her local town paper, where she has been published on several occasions. Aside from writing, Sarah enjoys long rides on her horse, Starling on the open Montana range and loves to cook, play with her little sisters and watch western movies. She hopes to one day become a published author and horse trainer for handicapped children.)
- An appropriate portrait of yourself. The image should focus primarily on your face and should contain no revealing or immodest clothing or background content of any sort that you would not be comfortable with a six-year-old viewing. Please submit your image as an attached jpeg file which is a minimal of 448 x 336 px in size.
Pen Name Policy
Kingdom Pen accepts pen names or pseudonyms for publication upon specific request and approval. Kingdom Pen will not accept any pen names which we find to be any of the following:
- The full name of any famous, infamous or notable person, whether living or deceased (George Washington, Tom Cruise, Mark Twain, Adolf Hitler, etc.)
- Any name that we judge as being vulgar, suggestive or inappropriate in any way
- Any abstract, overly unusual or silly name of excessive difficulty to spell or pronounce for no apparent or worthy reason (foreign names not included).
Please submit your request for a pen name along with your submission. Kingdom Pen respects your privacy and will not publish or share your real name with any third party without your specific permission if your pen name request is approved.
We do accept simultaneous submissions; writers must notify us immediately if your submission is accepted elsewhere.
Kingdom Pen accepts no responsibility for any plagiarized material submitted that we unknowingly publish. We accept no responsibility for any material with hidden objects, or that intentionally represents real persons and/or places with any negative or harmful intent. We respect the individual views, opinions and beliefs of our authors, but do not accept responsibility for them. We do not publish anything that we believe could be harmful or is of questionable intent, but authors alone must accept full responsibility for their material.
To summarize the previous section, does your submission…
- …meet our requirement of being an original work by the author that has not yet received publication?
- …meet our format requirements?
- Is it written in English without typos?
- Is it written in Microsoft Word in 12 point Times New Roman?
- Is it titled in a format like this: “Miller, John – Evening Tales”?
- …meet content requirement?
- Does it avoid any intense, gory, or sexual violence?
- Does it avoid any inappropriate, profane, or blasphemous references?
- …come with a bio?
- Does your bio come with a picture?
If so, you meet all of our general submission requirements!
These are not hard and fast rules, unlike the above, but rather a guide to show you what we are looking for. Everything submitted to Kingdom Pen must conform to all the requirements of Kingdom Pen’s Basic Formatting Guidelines, Content Restrictions, and Material Qualifications (see above). Exceptions will be made to the below guidelines if the submitted content is, well, exceptional.
Guidelines for Articles
- All articles should be between 700 and 3,000 words in length.
- All facts and references in any article are subject to third party verification request. Inability to provide verification of facts and references as cited in your article may disqualify it from publication.
- Writers should try to keep their articles at least somewhat germane to the craft of writing. That isn’t to say you need to send us treatises on grammar or discourses on characterization only, but we are primarily a magazine for writers and contributors should keep this in mind.
Guidelines for Book Reviews
- All book reviews should be between 250 and 1,000 words in length.
- All facts and references in any book review are subject to third party verification request. Inability to provide verification of facts and references as cited in your review may disqualify it from publication.
- Book reviews are encouraged (though not required) to follow the guidelines contained in this article: http://kingdompen.org/book-reviews-now-accepted/
Guidelines for Short Stories
- Because we focus on highlighting the work of young writers, in order to publish a short story on Kingdom Pen, the author must be between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time they initially submit the short story.
- All short stories must be works of fiction. Accounts of true events that have not been fictionalized are not permitted. Save that for a nonfiction article. When we say Short Story, we want a good yarn, not a memoir.
- All short stories should be between 800 and 4,000 words in length.
- All stories are required to have a theme, moral or message. We are not looking for sermons, but we do require that your story have a moral point to it.
Guidelines for Poetry
- Because we focus on highlighting the work of young writers, in order to publish a poem on Kingdom Pen, the author must be between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time they initially submit the poem.
- All poetry should be between 150 and 1000 words in length.
- All poems are required to have a theme, moral or message. We are not looking for sermons, but we do require that your story have a moral point to it.
Guidelines for Serial Novels:
Your serial novels submission should resemble a standard book proposal. Specifically, your proposal should meet the following criteria:
- A cover letter explaining who you are. Include a bio, whom your target audience is, and total word count.
- A 1-2 page summary of your serial novel, including a synopsis and an overview of the plot and the theme of the story. Why are you writing it?
- A chapter-by-chapter outline briefly describing each chapter
- A sample of your first chapter
- Do Not send us a novel chapter if you do not want to publish your entire novel with us in serial format.
- Do Not send us your serial novel proposal unless you have already finished your novel.
- Serial novels should be between 20,000 and 80,000 words in length.
- Chapters should not exceed 5,000 words in length. This is what the average adult reads in twenty minutes or so, and is the length of a standard novel chapter. We will accept slightly longer chapters on a case-by-case basis (5,001 words won’t earn an automatic rejection), but we do have a limited format.
- As with poetry and short stories, all serial novels are required to have a Biblical theme, moral, or message. It doesn’t have to be as clear as in a poem or short story, but it does have to be there.
- Because we focus on highlighting the work of young writers, in order to publish a serial novel on Kingdom Pen, the author must be between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time they initially submit the serial novel.
Kingdom Pen Cinema Film Submission Guidelines
All guidelines that follow are intended for the mutual benefit of all parties involved, to create an orderly and organized system of submission, and are meant to be as simple as possible. This channel is a complicated experiment, so the rules, while in some cases strange, are meant to help smooth along the process and bring the fullest advantage of a cooperative channel to all those investing in it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at, “firstname.lastname@example.org” and I’ll be more than happy to answer and explain anything you are curious about.
Rules and Guidelines for submissions
*All films contributors wish to submit must first be uploaded privately or unlisted to YouTube (or another similar sharing site with privacy settings) and emailed to Kingdom Pen at “email@example.com” for review.
*All material must be the original creation of the submitting creator, who must also hold full rights to the work they are submitting without any third party controlling interests. This includes musical score.
*All material must be submitted directly by the first-party originator or creator of said material, or by an agent legally licensed to represent them.
*All material submitted must be previously unpublished in any form in any medium (including but not limited to: YouTube, other websites, blogs) in order to be eligible for publication.
*All genres of film are accepted, with the exception of horror and romance, though they may be used as subplots IF the below content restrictions are followed.
*No film will be accepted that includes one or more of the following:
– Intense or gory violence. War and fighting-related violence is accepted on a case-by-case basis.
– Any sexual violence of any sort whatsoever.
– Any inappropriate sexual references of any sort whatsoever.
– Profanity or offensive language, terms or phrases of any sort whatsoever.
– Any words, terms or references to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and/or any part or whole of the Trinity that are not respectful and reverent.
– Any insults, derogatory or disrespectful comments of any sort to any current governments, races, nations, persons, individuals or government leaders.
*Submitted Films must hold to a standard of quality, morality, and artistic design. In terms of quality, what we mean is not necessarily the use of quality equipment as it is quality story. Kingdom Pen is all about stories, and even films down to comedy vlogs must tell stories and tell them well. Films with weak stories are weak films, regardless of all other quality. When we say artistic design, we are referring to the camera work and production design on the films. Even if you’re shooting with an iPhone, your choice of angles, shots, and how you edit it all together matters to the final product. Morality encompasses two areas: theme and content. While themes in submitted films don’t have to be blatantly Christian, they must not be immoral, and content in the films must follow suit. Films that don’t have solid themes will not necessarily be overlooked; however, films that do present themes well and powerfully will be at an advantage. So in conclusion, we don’t expect the submitted films to be perfect, or even near that. But there is a threshold of quality that we do wish to maintain that you the contributor needs to be aware of.
*When submitted films have been reviewed and approved, we will download the video from the private YouTube page and reupload it on the KP channel, as well as Vimeo, GodTube, ect. This has been tested successfully without significant loss of quality. Other sharing methods such as Dropbox may be used when appropriate.
*By submitting their short film, contributors agree to give Kingdom Pen YouTube exclusive distribution rights for a 2 week (14 days) time period during which Kingdom Pen alone may post the video to YouTube. When this period has expired, the original contributor may post the video to his own personal channel. This measure is intended to send the opening traffic to the KP channel, which will best benefit the symbiotic nature of the channel, while still allowing the original creator to keep his independent channel running.
*Contributors retain ALL rights to their films outside of those previously mentioned, and submitting films to KP in no way gives KP ownership over them in any way, beyond giving KP the ability to distribute them. This distribution is not exclusive.
Kingdom Pen Publication Policy
Kingdom Pen retains the right to reject or decline for publication any material submitted for consideration at any time during the review process for any reason of the Kingdom Pen Team, including nonconformity to Kingdom Pen’s submission and formatting guidelines. All material submitted is subject to use by Kingdom Pen Magazine, and by submitting you consent to have your material published in the magazine and/or on the website under the following terms:
- Kingdom Pen will not share your material with any third party or use it for any extra-typical purposes without your prior written consent.
- Authors retain full rights to their submitting material, and also retain the right to seek further or separate publication of aforementioned material 90 days after the release of the material, whether that be via PDF magazine or Kingdom Pen’s website, though not before.
- Once published, authors do not have the right to demand removal of published material from either the magazine or the website, but may submit email requests for the same to be considered on an individual basis.
*Accepted short films will be posted across several video sharing mediums including, but not limited to, YouTube, Vimeo, and GodTube. The videos will also be advertised on social networks such as Facebook, the exclusive writer’s forum OYAN, and will be posted on the Kingdom Pen website.
*Starting out, the KP YouTube channel is projected to gain somewhere in the range of 75-300 subscribers, based on carry-over subscribers from War Cry Cinema, and the near 500 subscribers to the Kingdom Pen magazine. This number will only increase with the more videos and individual contributors involved.
*Regular contributors will have their personal channels advertised on the KP Youtube channel in the sidebar, as well as in the video description on each of their videos. This will help maintain a sense of individuality and individual benefit.
*Having multiple contributors will aid in giving the channel a more constant flow of content, meaning a more constant flow of traffic, and resulting in more subscribers and viewers watching contributor content.
Kingdom Pen accepts no responsibility for any plagiarized material submitted that we unknowingly publish. We accept no responsibility for any material with hidden objects, or that intentionally represents real persons and/or places with any negative or harmful intent. We respect the individual views, opinions and beliefs of our authors, but do not accept responsibility for them. What our authors write is their own. We do not publish anything that we believe could be harmful or is of questionable intent, but they alone must accept full responsibility for their material, even once published.
Film-making is tough. Running a YouTube channel is tough. And when channels like College Humor are cranking out morally sick, but insanely popular, videos at a rate of 2 or more a week, we can’t keep up. Not on our own. This channel is an attempt to band together a group of Youtube’s best, but overlooked, Christian filmmakers to give each other a better chance of making an impact. God has blessed us with our abilities, insufficient as we may believe they are. Let’s add to that strength in numbers, and see what He does with us.