Interested in writing for Kingdom Pen? We welcome your submission! Please take a few minutes to read over the entirety of our guidelines below. If you have any questions or are ready to submit, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll review your submission and reply as soon as possible.
Statement of Faith
Kingdom Pen is a Christian magazine dedicated to the glory of Christ. We are an organization of conviction, and we hold certain truths to be universal:
- We believe in one righteous, wise, omnipotent, eternal, and holy God who exists in three eternal and distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, all of whom are equal in power and glory. (Deut. 6:4; Isaiah 45:5, 57:15; 32:17; Matt. 3:17, 28:19; Acts 5:9; 1 John 2:22–23; Rev. 4:8)
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God himself, who, while remaining fully God, became incarnated as fully man (henceforth having two distinct natures in one person), lived a sinless life on earth, suffered and died on the cross for our sins, and was physically resurrected on the third day, afterwards ascending into heaven. (1 Cor. 15:1–4; Phil. 2:5–11; Col. 2:9; 1 Tim. 3:15; Heb 1:5–13)
- We believe that all men have fallen short of God’s standard and will eternally receive God’s wrath unless they turn to Jesus Christ, confess their sin, and believe he atoned for them. We believe that salvation comes by grace, and that all who believe on Christ through faith will be physically raised up from the dead on the last day and reign with Christ forever in glory. (John 3:16; 3:23, 6:23; 1 Cor. 15:1–4; Ephesians 2:8–9)
- We believe that the Bible is the only infallible Word of God, divinely inspired by God himself, and authoritative for life and practice. (2 Tim. 3:16–17; 2 Peter 1:20–21)
Beyond these limits, we respect your freedom of belief in the finer elements of faith, and we do not expect to agree with every detail of each submission we publish. We cannot publish anything that we feel to be a lie, morally reprehensible, or harmful to the cause of the gospel, but we will not refuse a submission based on a difference of opinion, whether concerning doctrine, politics, lifestyle, or individual freedom of speech. We ask that you respect our beliefs in return and do not attempt to submit material that is potentially contrary to the above statements.
No material of any type will be considered for publication if it contains any of the following:
- Graphic violence.
- Inappropriate sexual references.
- Language, terms, or phrases that are profane, offensive, or blasphemous.
If you are unsure whether your work passes these guidelines, email us at email@example.com with an excerpt or a detailed description of your material’s content, and we will notify you if it is acceptable. Please do not inquire about content usage unless you are in doubt as to whether your piece violates the guidelines. Our content restrictions are not open to negotiation.
- In order to be eligible for publication, all material must be the original creation of the author and previously unpublished in any form (including but not limited to: magazines, websites, and blogs).
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but writers must notify us immediately if their submission is accepted elsewhere.
- Your piece should contain as few typos and mistakes as humanly possible. A typo will not disqualify a submission from publication, but Kingdom Pen feels that numerous careless errors reflect a disrespect for quality writing and will reject a submission for such.
- If you wish, you may include a brief bio (75–150 words) written in third person and a portrait photo with your submission so that readers can learn more about you. Please attach your photo as a jpg file; do not embed it in your document.
- We allow pen names upon specific request and approval, provided that the pseudonym isn’t the full name of any famous person (whether living or deceased), overly abstract or silly, or inappropriate in any way. We respect your privacy and will not share your real name without your permission.
- If you are writing a piece that is meant to coordinate with one of our monthly topics, please submit it before the posted deadline or we cannot guarantee it will be published in the correct month. For all other submissions, expect a 1–2 month time span between the approval of your submission and its appearance on the website.
- Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure it conforms to our statement of faith and content restrictions, as well as our formatting and material-specific guidelines (below).
- All submissions must be Microsoft Word files. If Microsoft Word is not available to you, please contact us and we will work with you to make arrangements for you to submit your material some other way.
- Use Times New Roman font at 12 pt. text size, left-justify all text, and italicize words of emphasis.
- Type the title of your submission at the top of the page in bold, insert your name directly below it, skip a space, and then begin your material.
- Save the file under your last name/comma/your first name/hyphen/the title of your material. Example: Miller, John – Evening Tales.
- In the subject line of your email, identify the type of material you are submitting (such as article, short story, or poem), followed by a comma and then “KP Submission.” Example: Article, KP Submission. Or, if you are submitting more than one piece of material: Article, Short Story, KP Submission.
- 700–3,000 words in length.
- Whether young or old, an experienced writer or a beginner, we encourage everyone to share their wisdom, tips, and tricks so that our community can learn and mutually benefit.
- The topic should be at least somewhat germane to the craft of writing. That doesn’t mean we only accept treatises on grammar or discourses on characterization, but we are primarily a magazine for writers and contributors should keep this in mind.
- All cited facts and references are subject to third party verification request. Inability to provide such may disqualify an article from publication.
- 250–1,000 words in length.
- Include a summary of the book (without spoilers) and explain why you think it’s worth reading. For a more detailed guide to writing book reviews, click here.
- Because of our younger audience, reviews of books with mature content (language, violence, etc.) must contain an advisory. We will accept such book reviews at our discretion.
- All cited facts and references are subject to third party verification request. Inability to provide such may disqualify a book review from publication.
- 800–4,000 words in length.
- Because we focus on highlighting the work of young writers, authors must be between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time they initially submit a short story. However, we may occasionally accept fictional pieces from older writers on a case-by-case basis, so please feel free to inquire.
- All stories must be fiction. Accounts of true events that have not been fictionalized are not permitted. We want a good yarn, not a memoir.
- Although we are not looking for sermons, all stories are required to have a theme, moral, or message.
- 150–1,000 words in length.
- Because we focus on highlighting the work of young writers, authors must be between the ages of 13 and 21 at the time they initially submit a poem. However, we may occasionally accept poetry from older writers on a case-by-case basis, so please feel free to inquire.
- All poems are required to have a theme, moral, or message.
Kingdom Pen retains the right to reject a submission at any time during the review process for any reason, including nonconformity to our guidelines or refusal to cooperate with our editors. We reserve the right to edit submissions for length, clarity, grammar/spelling, and content, although we strive to maintain the author’s voice and intent.
All submitted material is subject to use by Kingdom Pen Magazine, and by submitting you consent to have your material published on the website under the following terms:
- Kingdom Pen will not share your material with any third party or use it for any extra-typical purposes without your prior written consent. Writing that is exceptional may be included in a free top-ten posts e-book that we put out at the end of each year.
- Authors retain full rights to their material and may seek further or separate publication 90 days after the release of their material on the website. Until the 90 days have elapsed, authors agree to grant Kingdom Pen exclusive use of the submitted material.
- Once published, authors do not have the right to demand removal of published material from the website until 90 days afterward. Authors may submit email requests to be considered on an individual basis.
Kingdom Pen accepts no liability for any material we unknowingly publish that has been plagiarized, contains hidden objects, or represents real persons and/or places with negative or harmful intent. We respect the individual views, opinions, and beliefs of our authors, but authors alone must bear full responsibility for their material.