Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Zombies and Vampires ~ Yeh or Bleh?

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Thompson
    @daniel-leinad-thompson-2-2-2
      • Total Posts: 37

CELEBRATE

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

There ya go. Lovely, Daniel. Lovely.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 692

@kate-flournoy

I just read your post about Narnia and while I do agree with some of what you said the whole ring-thing hit me hard. I mean Tolkien created a magical ring in his world so why is it any different than C S Lewis’? Disclamer: I’m actually a completely obsessed Narnia fan and don’t like LOTR as much as Narnia so these opinions are based off of that fact. 😜😏

Anyway, I wouldn’t write any of that stuff either because it’s creepy and not really God-honoring in my opinion. But I wonder why we are willing to write about Spiders (they do drink blood btw) but not vampires since they’re similar in the blood drinking way? I guess we don’t really need to mention that fact for writing spider characters but what do y’all think of that?

Anonymous

@kate-flournoy

Also LOTR’s whole ring thing is much creepier than Narnia taking you to another world. Also, the fact that you come back and no time as passed in our world could easily be taken as each person dreaming about Narnia. I know that’s a bit too crazy probably but just saying. Have you listened to Adventures in odyssey? If so, do you feel the same way about the imagination station? That’s very similar but it’s still in our world so.

Anonymous

Never mind on the spider thing. Lol. I just found out it’s a myth. They bite you but they make it so your blood doesn’t clot or something like that. They don’t actually drink your blood. Lol

Whaley
              @whalekeeper
                • Total Posts: 2575

@sarafini

I love how you just casually commented on a 7-year-old post.

XD

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Folith-Feolin
                @folith-feolin
                  • Total Posts: 310

@sarafini @whalekeeper

Thread Necromancy!!!!

Anonymous

@whalekeeper

Ikr! I actually didn’t look at the year. Lol. People had some really interesting discussions. I’ve been looking through the really old stuff. I’m not even sure how many of the commenters are still around. Lol. I was way too young to be a part of this when they were having these discussions. I thought it might be interesting to try to bring some of that back. Ya know? 😇😅

Folith-Feolin
                    @folith-feolin
                      • Total Posts: 310

@sarafini
                      Yeah thread necromancy/necroposting  is fun! (derived from necromancer 🧙‍♂️ which is like a wizard that raises dead things back to life)

This is an interesting topic I have not formulated a response yet though (haven’t had enough time)

Otherworldly Historian
                      @otherworldlyhistorian
                        • Total Posts: 215

@sarafini

I am personally all in favour of thread revival. Anyways I just went and read post 1 on here and I have a comment. SO personally I think there are a lot of christians and christian writers who get caught up in we shouldn’t have (monsters, necromancers, wizards, blah, blah, blah, gore, cults, etc) but I think that misses the point. Personally, I think it is more about the story, the meaning, and the purpose. I think that it is fine as long as the purpose of it is something good. (ie you might want to include a kind of gory or violent war scene in order to make a point that wars are bad). Also in terms of vampires or zombies, I feel that they are just monsters. Like really there isn’t any problem in having monsters. There are actually times when having creepy monsters is good (a common theme is basically looking at this scary monster that is physically scary but there is this person over here (usually a villain or tragic hero) who doesn’t look gruesome or horrifying but is worse than the mindless gruesome monsters.). Also personally there is nothing wrong with having zombies or vampires besides people thinking they are creepy. I mean there is some of the stuff with witchcraft but unless you are actively promoting necromancy I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with them.

Through darkness,
                        light shines brightest

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper
                          • Total Posts: 2575

@otherworldlyhistorian

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that for many Christians, there is a temptation\tendency to banish anything even distantly related to magic, or violence, or sensitive topics – and to be honest, that isn’t really doing anything, is it? To ban, say, Harry Potter, means that you either don’t understand what is real magic or isn’t, or that you don’t trust yourself or your children to know not to try real magic.

When it comes to zombies and vampires, that seems like even less of a bad thing than magic, really. Both are obviously evil, and both are obviously imaginary. Neither are saying anything about God or about the real world unless you write them that way.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        >