Your Favorite Historical Fiction

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Your Favorite Historical Fiction

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

Oh yes! Carry on Mr. Bowditch— that’s one of my favorites as well. 🙂

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

Yay!!!. I read it to my eldest sister and had to stop so many times cause I was laughing too hard. (And there was the occasional teary scene) 😛

Rosey Mucklestone
        @writefury
          • Total Posts: 467

YES! I totally forgot Carry on Mr. Bowditch. That one is amazing. I’ve reread it like 3 times. 😛

BlueJay
          @bluejay

It’s a great book. It is written so well that it is interesting and yet it still has a great lot of history in it.

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

And there’s nothing like that sort of story to make math exciting. I always finish and I’m like “Ah! Now where’s my algebra book?” XD

BlueJay
              @bluejay

Yes! Yes! Yes! Normally I hate maths (I have a soon to be brother-in-law who can’t understand how I can dislike it) but Nat makes me wish that I had a better brain and I sometimes feel like learning Latin and Greek too. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

YES. All of the above. 😀

Ivy Rose
                  @ivy-rose
                    • Total Posts: 102

Wow! Looks like I have a LOT of reading to do…I haven’t heard of half of those books.

@belegteleri
                    Yes! The Viking Quest series was good. I wish there were more books about vikings!

@sarah-h
                    Twice Freed is one of my absolute favorites! Just about anything by Patricia St. John is amazing, though. Yes, Douglas Bond wrote the Crown and Covenant trilogy about Scottish Covenanters (I listed the titles in my first post). I personally think that the C&C trilogy are his best books. Not only is the story wonderful, but I learned an incredible amount. Well worth the time!

@Daeus
                    Ohhh! Don’t even get me started on The Hidden Hand. I can read that one OVER and OVER again! Ishmael and Self-Raised, also by E.D.E.N Southworth, are the best books I have ever read. Just about anything by her is amazing.

@Rosey A Night Divided sounds really neat. WWII, I’m guessing?

@bluejay
                    The Bronze Bow is another awesome one! I also enjoyed The Witch of Blackbird Pond. But Bronze Bow was better. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

Shadow Hawk, by Andre Norton. Hittite Warrior and God King by Joanne Williamson.

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h
                        • Total Posts: 669

@bluejay- I’ve read the Promise of Zion series, too! I forgot to mention them. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch sounds familiar. What is it about?

@daeus- Thank you! I will look for them. What is The Hidden Hand about?

@kate-flournoy
                        – I don’t know Haggard’s motives, but he wrote like a person who was prejudiced. It’s more noticeable in King Solomon’s Mines and Queen Sheba’s Ring. Maybe also I’m more sensitive to that sort of thing right now. Many British books written in the 1800s and 1900s have an undercurrent of prejudice in them, but it isn’t very noticeable unless you’re looking for it.

@ivy-rose- Oh, Patricia St. John. I forgot what her name was. Thanks for reminding me. And thanks so much for telling me about the Crown and Covenant series! I can’t wait to read them.

I just finished Ride the Wild River, by Gilbert Morris. It’s a terrific story about the Oregon Trail. Just don’t read the last two pages if you don’t like his style of romance. (I don’t. But I’m kind of picky.)

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

@Sarah-h huh. I guess I’ve never looked for it. 🙂

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

@sarah-h, An irritable colonel, an very very independent adopted daughter of his, a wily criminal, a malicious colonel, an impoverished young physician and his mother, and many other unique characters to whom unique things happen. An excellent story.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

BlueJay
                            @bluejay

@Sarah-h – Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is about Nathaniel Bowditch’s (a real person) journey from his modest beginnings, to his first sea voyage, to his rigorous self-education, to the triumphs of his fine-tuned mastery of navigation and eventual publication of his famous work, The American Practical Navigator (also known as the “Sailor’s Bible”).
                              Does that help you remember? (That was written on the back of the book) 🙂
                              And the Promise of Zion series are so good. I’m yet to read no. 5. But even so I really do love them.

Sarah Hoven
                              @sarah-h
                                • Total Posts: 669

@bluejay- Wow,that sounds like a book my brother would enjoy. I’ll try to find it. Is book 5 the last book? If so, the ending is really sad. Well, that is if you’ve read The Young Underground. It’s only a little sad if you haven’t.

@daeus- That does sound interesting. I’ll have to look for it.

BlueJay
                                @bluejay

@Sarah-h – No, book 5 is not the end one. Book 6 is. But I have read 1-4 miss 5 and then 6, so I know how it ends. I haven’t read The Young Underground so it wasn’t too sad. 🙂
                                  And yes, Carry On, Mr. Bowditch is a great book for boys and girls.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >