You know you are a writer when…

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions You know you are a writer when…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 713 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

You know you are a writer when you’re nervous because you are about to ‘perform’ so you get out a pen and start trying to describe every little detail you’re feeling.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Ezra Wilkinson
      @ezra-wilkinson
        • Total Posts: 146

You know you’re a writer when you’re on two different forums, and each has this exact topic…

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

You know you’re a writer if you would give even a moment’s serious consideration to dressing up in full costume and going out just to see how many people looked at you funny.

You know you’re a writer when you mentally rephrase all billboards on the side of the road to sound more dramatic, be more concise, and more grammatically correct.

When you emerge after an hour and a half of steady writing and your dad asks you ‘hey, did you see that fire that started in the kitchen half an hour ago?’ and your first response is ‘Huh?’… you know you’re a writer.

Shaina
          @jenali
            • Total Posts: 142

You know you are a writer when you groan in a movie because you just KNOW that even you could write that particular strip of dialogue waaaay better than the script writers did.

The Scattered Writer

Rosey Mucklestone
            @writefury
              • Total Posts: 467

You know your a writer when your siblings have fan moments just talking with you about your book.

You know your a writer when you take notes when your sick, so your characters’ sickness will me more true to life.

Hope Ann
              @hope

You know you’re a writer when you rewrite books you are reading in your mind.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

Whew. I was starting to worry that I might not be a writer, but I do that quite often.

You also know you’re a writer when sudden depletions of the pantry happen to coincide with long periods you spend in front of your laptop.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                  @hope

Whew. I was starting to worry that I might not be a writer, but I do that quite often.

I do this all the time. There are books I used to like, but as I read them again, I can’t enjoy them as much. Like Michael Vey. I was only 16 when the first book came out and I loved it. The fifth book just came out and I’m realizing that the writing is frankly terrible in places. Being a writer can really ruin some reading. But I suppose that makes the well written books so much better.

Tatiana
                    @belegteleri
                      • Total Posts: 97

You know you’re a writer when the school you’re homeschooled through has a writer’s block club every Friday, but you can’t go cause you’re too busy, but you feel like you’ll die without going to this writer’s block club because you’re in the middle of writer’s block.

This rant up here may not be true for everyone, but it’s the life of this writer. I see posters all over the school for this club and I swear, it’s slowly killing me. But I can’t do anything about so… *sigh*. Sorry, I’ll try to think of something a bit more… generic next time.

By the way, I like everyone else’s sentences. Especially yours, @KateFlournoy. I’ve always wanted to dress up like an elf and go out in public! (Oh, the life of a Tolkienite.)

David B. Hunter
                      @dbhgodreigns
                        • Total Posts: 89

You know you’re a writer when you notice every time an author does something different than you would! (At least when you’re not engrossed in the story 🙂 )

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy

@Rosey— yes! My siblings and I do that ALL THE TIME! When I first started writing it was just me all alone in my family, and no one else really interested in it (thinking, no doubt, ‘Oh boy, another one of Kate’s crazy projects— it’ll blow over in time’ 😀 ) but now that the novels have been getting progressively higher quality, we can talk for hours on the subject.

@Hope
                          — oh, I can’t tell you how many books I’ve read that I would have loved to pieces if I weren’t an author! *sigh* I guess it’s the price you pay. 😛

@Daeus
                          — don’t worry. It’ll come. It will come. Give it three years, a few novels under your belt, a greater confidence in your own ability, a longer time hanging around us nuts on this forum… it will come.

Trust me.

Actually I have noticed that fantasy writers in particular seem to be affected by the costume malady. 😛

You know you’re a writer if your siblings tell you that you have the most annoying habit of rephrasing the manner in which they say things so that it flows better. True story.

You know you’re a writer if you can look at a tree in a strong wind and see faces in the leaves, and hear whispered, rustling voices in the air.

Rosey Mucklestone
                          @writefury
                            • Total Posts: 467

@Kate
                            YES. Totally! It’s like your own personal fanbase. 😉 My 10 year old brother seems to be my agent. He’s constantly saying I should get my books into Costco and all the libraries. To quote him: “Why go through all the little stores first? More people go to Costco!”

You know you’re a writer when all your little brothers come to your for help because they can’t come up with a good plot for their lego game.

If you’ve ever scrambled out of bed at night for pencil and paper because you just thought of the perfect plot twist/character/bad guy plot, you know you’re a writer.

Ivy Rose
                            @ivy-rose
                              • Total Posts: 102

You know you’re a writer when you go on vacation telling yourself that you have enough stories to work on and WILL NOT get ANY new inspiration for a new story while on vacation…and you come back home with the perfect story idea completely planned out in detail and 2,000 words into the first draft.

You know you’re a writer when your doctor tells you that you need a horribly invasive surgery to correct your crooked leg, and you take notes on how you felt when he told you that, how you felt as you processed the news, and what pre-surgery appointments are like, just so you can have ‘real’ emotions to go off of to better describe an event like such in a story.

You know you’re a writer when you siblings have to tap you on the head to get your attention because you’re so tuned-out of the world while writing.

(These are all true stories.) 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

Yes! I completely know what you mean. It can actually be annoying to think of something new every time you go somewhere different. 😛

Shaina
                                @jenali
                                  • Total Posts: 142

@IvyRose
                                  I totally did that during our last vacation! I even brought a story to work on just in case inspiration struck, and I still came up with a new story!

You know you are a writer when you hear a song and go, “Oh! That would go perfect in that one scene I am working on!”

The Scattered Writer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 713 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >